Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fantastic 4 in a Row HD
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 8, 2015
Good:
Connect-4 is a great game. A classic, even. I'm very happy to see someone has made an app of it.
Very nicely drawn. The graphics in all three modes are very well done.
Smooth animation on tablet and phone.
There are 4 difficulty settings and 3 styles of markers. The kids seem to like the basketball/soccerball theme the best, at least in my house.
Plays without WiFi or data connection, so you can take it with you everywhere you go.

Neutral:
No "Quit" button, so you have to use the back arrow on your phone or tablet to quit the app. The app does quit completely using the back arrow leaving no background threads running or memory usage.
Music/effects are on/off, no volume adjustment without changing the master volume of your phone or tablet.
It's a pretty big download. Over 32 MB on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I knew it would be big when I saw how well-done the images and animations were done, but 32 MB seems a bit big even for that. (Maybe the AI really is good and takes a lot of code? I hope that's the case.)
The permissions requested are just the two listed in the description page.

Bad:
Start menu: Facebook link, twitter link, "Look at my other apps" link. Sorry, but on a paid app? -1 star (Hide all that stuff on a menu page or something and I'd be fine...but right up front? No...not on a paid app.)
Flurry AND Amazon Insights analytics. But no ad networks, so I'll not take away the half star that Flurry usually costs.

Overall, the game looks great, plays great, ...is great. The minimal permissions and no ad networks is a relative breath of fresh air considering how bloated so many apps are now with adware, spyware, and analytics.
You can decide for yourself on the analytics, but I feel confident enough in the setup that I'm going to install this on my daughter's tablet (and if you've read a lot of my previous reviews, you'll recognize that as actually being very high praise).

Get this as the FAOTD if you have the chance...but if you miss it, I'd even recommend it at the 99 cents the author is asking.
on August 8, 2015
No new twists here with Ensenasoft's Fantastic 4 in a Row, just an electronic version of Connect Four played on a 7x6 grid. You can play against the computer A.I., or with a real person by taking turns. The A.I. seems to be challenging enough, as I lost the first & then had to stop watching TV to claw back a win. And the game was on medium difficulty only, with two more supposedly harder levels in wait. The graphics don't have any wow factor, but they are sharp & clear. If you don't like the classic red & black look, you can choose instead a baubles or a football/basketball theme.

While some scanner apps might report the presence of Flurry, I see no evidence of it being active here. On the other hand, the game does communicate with Amazon servers behind your back, so Amazon's Insight is more likely to be at work. Nevertheless, you can play this game offline with no problem, and there are no other dubious components that you should be concerned about. The game also performs a clean exit.

There is really little to fault this game and, for only a dollar, it's certainly cheaper than the real thing!!!
This is a very good strategy game and it is designed well. The graphics are good and game play is fast and smooth. I like how you can turn off the music and just have the sound effects. It also features adjustable difficulty and changeable color schemes.

We actually own the original game and have played it with our son and then with our grandchildren. It is a lot of fun and you have to learn how to think ahead to win and be observant.

The permissions use full Internet access and no others. It can be a real time killer especially on the long road trips. This is a good game!
on August 8, 2015
This is a faithful reproduction of the classic Connect Four game for phones and tablets. The premise, in case you aren't familiar already, is to win by being the first to connect four of your chips in a straight or diagonal line. The game looks nice, and the background music and sound effects are decent (they can be turned off if you wish). There are three different themes to choose from. But other than that, it's a simple and straight-forward rendition of Connect Four. You can play against another human or the computer.

The app uses Amazon Insight and Flurry for analytics purposes. The permissions are for internet access, which are most likely used for the facebook/twitter links as well as the link to the developer's other apps and games. The game does work fine when in airplane mode, which is a plus for setting it up on devices for younger kids or just to block any analytic activities. I encountered no ads while playing.

Overall, it's a good take on the classic Connect Four. If you liked the original game, you'll enjoy this on your phone or tablet.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 8, 2015
I absolutely love this game.

Very well written and the computer is very clever indeed!

some different game mode I am still exploring but I am having enough fun with the default as it is. Contains flurry analytics (I am done worrying about Flurry because frankly they are among the least of the analytical evils out there) and amazon game circle but I find no adware, spyware or malware and so the app is safe to install.

Enjoy this game especially while it is the free app of the day. :)
on August 8, 2015
It does what it says, with no nasty surprises, so I gave it 5 stars. It's not the game's fault I didn't love it. Several knowledgeable and frequent reviewers OK the permissions, so no complaints there. Graphics are sharp, animation is fine. Music is kind of annoying, but easy to turn off in game settings. Help is found by starting the game and tapping the tiny question mark at the bottom of the screen, where you are told to drop tokens into columns. And that's it. Well, this is my first time playing this game, real or virtual, so a little help with strategy would be appreciated.

I like logic and strategy puzzles, but this one just didn't grab my interest. If you've never played Connect 4 before, I would do so before buying the game. I believe there is a free version by this developer. If this is the free game of the day, by all means try it out to see if it suits you.
on September 15, 2015
I like this game which is like Connect Four. I always liked this game as a kid and now I play it with my grandkids. turns out they are pretty smart and I need to practice the thinking strategy. This app lets me practice on my own playing against the computer or someone else so I can get better so I can beat the grandkids. My favorite way is to play against the computer. That way I don't have to wait for someone else that might be playing a different game at the same time. The game allows you to choose different "chips" to play with. The sports one is kind of fun for me. It makes it just a little different so it doesn't just stay the same. I have gotten better at the Connect Four game since playing this. Soon I will be thinking so much better and have better strategy than all of my grandkids. Look out! Here I come! :)
on August 15, 2015
Basic 4 in a row game.

The computer is beatable but still smart even on easy.

The alternate styles are interesting, but make it hard to see the pieces.

It is what it says it is and plays cleanly on my Kindle Fire.
What's up with the stretched ball on Kindle fire in Landscape mode?

The app looks like watching 4:3 movie on 16:9 screen in 'stretched' mode. Am I missing something here?

"HD" means new graphics bitmaps right? what's up with the stretched graphics? on Kindle Fire?

Anyone else having the same issue? or is it only me.
on March 7, 2012
Kindle Fire user. This game can only be played in landscape mode, and the game board and pieces are distorted in shape...the board is stretched to be more rectangular than normal, and the playing pieces are ovular instead of circular. This is an annoying visual quirk that takes away from the game more than you would suspect. Also, the sound effects are too elaborate to be repeated every time a piece is dropped. Optime Software's version of this game is simpler yet superior, with more accurate shapes and less annoying sounds.