5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended
Published on August 29, 2010 by Jay P. Francis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected.
The recipes call for quite a few specialty ingredients. If you're already into some serious Indian cooking, this might be a good book. The title described "easy recipes". I was looking for more of a casual indian cookbook. This requires more ingredients and implements specialty cookware that makes it more complicated than I would call "easy". On a...
Published 9 months ago by Brad Mattix

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, August 29, 2010
Jay P. Francis (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entice With Spice: Easy Indian Recipes for Busy People [Indian Cookbook, 95 Recipes] (Hardcover)
I've had the pleasure of taking some of Shubhra Ramineni's cooking classes here in Houston. So I've gotten to taste some of the dishes that I knew would be included in this cookbook when it came out. I came to this already being a 'fan-boy'of Shubhra's cooking. But what I am saying here comes from the heart as this book truly lives up to the promise. If you're on my gift list for Christmas this year, this is probably the book that's gonna end up in your stocking.

As cookbooks go, this one is an absolute delight for the eyes. It is full of exceptional 'how to' photographs. Heck, this book is just one wonderful page of appropriate and helpful photographs after the next. Check out pages 56 and 57 where Shubhra walks you through the process of making dosa.

First section I started working from when I got my copy was the section on breads. She answered so many questions in this book about the best ways to make Indian breads in the home kitchen. Chapati. Naan. Besan Ki Roti. Aloo Ka Paratha. Poori. And my favorite: the puffed up 'beignet' of Indian breads, the bhatura. Again, spectacular photographs, making this my default grab-this-off-the-shelf-first book on Indian cooking.

Yeah, the sub-heading of this book is 'Easy Indian Recipes for Busy People'. And the book stays true to that theme. She has done a first rate job of understanding the logic of how these dishes come together and communicating the preparation of the dishes in steps that are easy to follow and fairly fool-proof. One of the very nice touches is that most of the recipes come with recommendations on pairing with breads or other recipes in the book.

Page 33: Lentils. Photos of the 7 most common lentils with descriptive info.

I fantasize about doing a "Julie and Julia' with this book and making my way through all of the recipes. I'm an engineer and a lot of my co-workers are from India. It would be so much fun to make this or that, bring it into the office and be able to share something home-cooked with them for lunch. But where to start?

Well, I can highly recommend the following to start with:

Oven baked tandoori chicken with a side of lemon rice
Spiced fish and rice with cumin and peas
Masala scallops with tomatoes and onions
Cardamon chicken
Dhuli masoor dal which is a Punjabi style lentil stew
Pepper shrimp on a stick

Oh yeah, there's also this great section near the front of the book of 'Tips and Tricks'. Basic techniques, freezing and reheating tricks, an Indian ingredients section, followed by a section on home-made yogurts, chutneys and relishes. Again, with just the best darned photography you could hope for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, Easy Recipes, April 14, 2011
I took one Indian cooking class and really enjoyed it because the flavors were so unique and interesting. I wanted to explore the cuisine more, so I bought this cookbook. It's a great book that has wonderful, but quite reasonable recipes in terms of simplicity and preparation time. The book lives up to its title.

I had to find out where our local Indian grocery was to get the new spices and herbs. I'd say I bought about a dozen new items that weren't previously in my spice drawer. Garam masala and carom seeds are my favorites of the new spices I've been using.

I've tried the following recipes:
Mint chutney
Potato and pea curry
Spiced cauliflower and potatoes
Mushroom and pea curry
Vegetables and coconut curry
Rice with cumin seed and peas

All of them have been really tasty. When I cook the fish curry again, I'll use a more delicate fish. I used cod and it seemed a bit hearty for the dish. Red snapper was in the recipe, but I had cod in the freezer.

My favorite is the "fragrant chicken curry." The mint and cilantro combination with the chicken was really superb.

When I was cooking for my wife, I cut out the cayenne pepper because she likes spices, but not the heat that cayenne gives. The recipes still tasted great without the cayenne. When I cook for myself, I use the cayenne as directed. Perfect for me. I like some heat.

Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Busy Mom who needs quick and tasty Indian meals, June 27, 2011
Sawan parikh (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I have cooked many of the recipes and they are so easy to make and delicious! I grew up eating Indian food and these recipes taste just like the food my mom made. I just never knew how to make the dishes until now. The recipes are made with easy to find ingredients and great for busy moms like me. As a bonus, my husband even loves cooking from the book! I am so glad I have this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cooking Book!, April 5, 2012
This is the best Indian Cooking Book Ever!! I have bought numerous Indian Cooking books to try to learn to make simple dishes, like a curry, or rice Pilaf. Her book is amazing because it is super organized, straight forward, and uses just a few ingredients to make delicious meals that are family friendly. Her recipes are truly quick and easy! I had the opportunity to take a class with Shubhra herself and the recipes were just as easy in my own home. I can't recommend this book enough! Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Indian cookbook, July 30, 2012
I'd like to start off by saying that although I love Indian food, I had never attempted to cook it before. My husband always proclaimed to not really like it, and my son thought it was too spicy. I decided to go out on a limb and try a few of the recipes in the book (I figured if nothing else, I would get to eat the leftovers.) My family LOVED it! I made 4 of the dishes that first night, and there was not a speck left of any of them. I'm slowly making my way through the recipes, and my family has loved every single one. This has become one of my favorite cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Indian Cookbook, April 23, 2012
This is a wonderful cookbook! We use it al least 1-2x/week- love the saag, tikka masala & cardamom chicken! They have a few rice variations which are also very tasty. The food doesn't take long either- can get an Indian dinner on the table usually within 1 hour- all made from scratch!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, October 26, 2010
I am a beginner cook. Most meals I have cooked in the past for my family are bland. Sometimes, I feel the need to apologize at dinner time for what I served my family. In many families such as mine, cooking was not passed on because of lack of time. So recipe cards or recipe books are the only way of really making up for what was missed. Entice with Spice not only makes up for what I missed, but also shares an entirely different culture and way of cooking that I thought I would never get the chance to experience in my own kitchen.

Entice with Spice helps me cook the way I always dreamed about. My family is also eating more vegetables because they are seasoned tastefully. Some vegetables are even hidden in the sauces such as tomatoes and onions. So, my husband who is not a fan of tomatoes and my daughter who is not a fan of onions, eats them without even knowing they did. Green Beans, which usually taste like crunchy water to me transformed into a sensational vegetable that I couldn't stop eating.

Entice with Spice, transports me to India at the kitchen table, where I can easily imagine my family riding Asian Elephants at Sunset!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Indian Cooking Bible, October 26, 2012
This is my first Indian cookbook and I am really enjoying it. I don't really cook from cookbooks often. I usually get recipes from friends or online but I am really making good use of this book and glad I purchased it. There are easy recipes and some more involved ones but once you get all the basic spices even the more involved ones seem easy. The best thing is all of the dishes I make from the book taste great...like real authentic homemade Indian food. Now I can make yummy Indian dishes at home for my family and I can use the organic ingredients that I prefer. The instructions are very clear and step by step. There are also helpful tips and information in the beginning about Indian cooking. The book is very thorough. It has recipes for appetizers, indian breads, rice dishes, vegetarian dishes, meat dishes, desserts etc. The photos are also nice and the whole book is aesthetically pleasing (so it also looks nice sitting on your coffee table or kitchen counter). If you are going to buy one Indian cookbook then I would suggest getting this one. I can't wait to cook more from it and I plan to purchase some extra copies to give as gifts to friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy + Tasty = Enjoyable!, July 10, 2012
R. Prakoth (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
Being part-Indian, I am often asked if I am able to cook the ever-so admirable (but typically time-consuming) Indian cuisine. And being honest, I'd love to say "Yes", borrowing from the many hours I watched others cook devotionally for great cuisine. But the reality was, I found myself always in a pinch with no comprehensive source and guide for recipes and illustrations - until now!
This book is great because it has an intro to cookware and tools, and chaptered sections on various types of Indian cuisine including appetizers, vegetarian dishes, even drinks and desserts. She gives serving suggestions, occasional substitutions, and alternate cooking methods. The pictures and presentations are also inspiring.

I find this book to be a great guide to cooking food that my whole family will appreciate. It's a great book to share!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for someone new to cooking Indian food, March 8, 2014
Mani Subramani (Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
Many of us already have shelves overflowing with colorful cookbooks and binders full of clipped recipes; we have about twenty books on Indian cooking.
So when I saw this rather simple looking book, I almost said 'not one more'.

I am glad I stopped to look at this book. After briefly browsing through it, I picked it up largely because I appreciated the authenticity of the writing and the author's enthusiasm for cooking and sharing her food and experiences that the book exudes. I got this (in ebook format) at the local library.

Overall, this is a great book for those new to cooking Indian food. Even if you have cooked Indian dishes, this book is worth sampling because you are likely to find some that you may not have come across (my favorite - Indian Cappucino...seen it anywhere?).
The knowledgeable purist may complain that this book recklessly mixes North Indian and South Indian dishes or that is presents breakfast food right alongside main entrees. I found this quite OK, and I can say that it accurately reflects the interesting mix of Indian-ness of second generation Indian Americans who grew up here and opens a window into what most Indian families cook at home.
Many of my students at the University have in the past have asked me to recommend a cook book to get them started on Indian food, I believe this book would be perfect for them.
If you are an experienced cook, you can skip the early pages on cutting and prep techniques, tools and Indian ingredients but this content is likely to be truly valuable if you are new to cooking Indian food.
I made a dish from the book- the vegetables with coconut curry (pg 134), not a traditional Indian dish and one that is the author's own creation. The result was a sabji that was flavorful and tasty. I added 1/2 tsp of chilli powder more than suggested to suit my taste. But that is just me, the amount in the recipe would be just right for someone not regularly eating spicy food.
My own daughters, like the author, grew up in the US and this is the book I would buy for them to experiment with Indian food.
The book is well written, includes some interesting photographs and has personal experiences sprinkled along with fairly precise directions.
This is more than a manual you will consult for recipes and is one I suspect you will also enjoy using flipping through, like I did!

$27.95 $20.48