4.0 out of 5 stars Life at the top is fun to watch, addictive.
Fame, fortune, luxury, and letting it all go to your head; agents, managers, publicists, and everyone else that will lie, cheat, or steal to get a piece of you; and remembering your real friends. These are all key ingredients that make "Entourage" thoroughly entertaining, as well as freighting when you think about how it's based on reality.

I take the show as a...
Published on June 6, 2005 by Ultraman

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
Published on June 10, 2007 by nodice

4.0 out of 5 stars Life at the top is fun to watch, addictive., June 6, 2005
Ultraman (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)

I take the show as a cautionary tale; the entertainment industry is where I have just barely started to get my feet wet. There is a lot of truth in this fictional show: either everyone wants a piece of you or no one knows your name and can't spare a minute of their time. From my limited time spent dealing with people of the industry, on either coast, I have already found more jerks and egos-out-of-control than I care to recount. "Entourage" does an excellent job of exposing the dangers of the L.A. lifestyle, while simultaneously managing to present them in a thoroughly enjoyable manner.

The superficial world that is the entertainment business is navigated successfully through the four different personalities that make up the entourage. The four personalities of the Rising Star, Has-Been, Bum, and Level-headed Average Guy balance out the cast and provide a character for everyone to enjoy or relate to. Their friendship and their dependence on each other make the characters a success, as well as a success in the world of the show.

Jeremy Piven's role as agent to rising star, Vincent Chase, is thoroughly entertaining as well as aggravating. He's not quite the villain, but the perfect embodiment of the guy you don't want working against you. His quick one-liners and perfect delivery make it a joy to watch the show, whereas a real-life encounter with a guy such as him would probably make you want to deck him.

"Entourage" is rife with inside jokes, but not enough to lose the average viewer. Instead, the average viewer might just see the show as a bunch of losers whining about the good life and living high off the hog without really working. I enjoy it, but it's certainly not for everybody. I see it as another example of why I don't, and never want to, live in Los Angeles.

Show business is unlike any other business: they work by their own rules and decide who to let into their little clique. It's about as safe as sleeping in a pit full of vipers, but our glimpse at what it's like to live on top is good a one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly funny, good, and informative!, July 22, 2005
Nicholas Carroll (Portland OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
I watched this out of morbid curiosity about the concept of "entourages", those parasitic friends of celebrities who reap the benefit of the luxurious lifestyle without having to work for it (except to keep the actor from being lonely, heaven forbid such a needy person from ever being alone!). That this show was produced by "Marky" Mark Wahlberg, who is particularly known for his entourage, lends great realism and credibility to this series.

The first episode was okay. I almost didn't want to watch any more after that, because it didn't really impress me, but after episode 2, I was hooked! What I don't understand is why the true stars of this show play second fiddle to the main guy (Adrian Grenier, playing an up-and-coming actor who can't make decisions on his own). Kevin Connolly is the star of this show, playing best friend Eric, who manages Vincent Chase's career and other choices, even though he doesn't have any experience in Hollywood or any personal connections to it, other than being the high school buddy who gives up his personal goals to follow his famous friend to Hollywood. He is the brains behind the group and should be the one making the Hollywood career instead of the lame-brained actor friend.

Jerry Ferrara as the wise-cracking friend Turtle reminds me of many sidekicks who tag along in life to their star buddies. He offers much of the humor with his comments delivered with a Brooklyn-style accent (although they are from Queens). He has a loyal guard dog vibe, all too willing to accept left over scraps of women Vincent no longer wants or never wanted.

Kevin Dillon plays the older brother of Vincent with a waning acting career of his own. Its an ironic role, as he looks and sounds familiar to his own famous brother Matt Dillon. However, I find his character to be the most annoying, particularly that he's a hanger-on, expecting his brother's popularity to help his own career out of the B-list of actors.

The biggest joy to watch is Jeremy Piven, who often plays the loyal sidekick in many films ("The Family Man", "Serendipity"). He simply shines here, as a sleazy agent with a wandering eye. He doesn't like the fact that to get through to his client Vincent, sometimes he has to talk to Eric, the manager. Jeremy is an actor I'd like to see in more meaningful roles, so hopefully this series will graduate him out of the cast-typing of loyal sidekick into an actor of his own standing.

What really lends a realism to this show are the cameos and sly references to famous people or the use of invented celebrities to wink at the real ones (such as the female singer with the hots for Vincent even though she made a very public vow of chastity until marriage--shades of Jessica Simpson/Britney Spears). Even Mark Wahlberg has a cameo. There are a few surprises by other celebrities, and even a former reality show winner (the very wholesomely beautiful Lisa Donohue of "Big Brother 3") makes an appearance.

I can't wait to see season 2 when it comes on DVD. I only wish the first season had more than 8 half hour episodes. Hopefully they can maintain a longer season for however long this series is meant to last. Its a worthwhile look at an interesting Hollywood phenomenon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every single episode has made me laugh, April 21, 2008
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
Having heard about Entourage for a couple years now, I decided to finally give it a shot after prolonging it for quite some time. The show didn't look that appealing to me and the main actor who plays Vincent, Adrian Grenier, just seemed like a `B' actor to me. But after I kept hearing my friends talk about the show, I decided to pick it up at a store here in Iraq. It has all 4 seasons in it for like 30 bucks... hehe.

After a few episodes I was really into the show. It's definitely funny and that's what I wanted. To truly enjoy the show, you must let common sense go, because it just doesn't go well with this show. One prime example is that Vincent Chase is a lead star that's just had a huge movie premier. He's a big name actor (sorta) now and he's got a pretty boy face to go with that role. But he can go anywhere he wants around town and never seem to get swamped with fans or the paparazzi. If you can let the little things go, I believe you'll truly enjoy the show.

Now Vince is an up and coming star and he has his boys from high school with him along with his old brother Johnny `Drama' Chase. Drama, as most call him, is what you would call a `B' actor. Most of his stints have been not big characters on some popular shows such as Melrose Place and Viking Quest (which I'm thinking is supposed to be Hercules) and some not so known shows as well. Turtle is one of the good friends, and his main job is to be a driver and do certain errands Vinny needs. He's not Vin's slave by no means, but this is how he earns his keep so he doesn't have to be a full blown moocher. Eric is Vince's best friend and has been since they were about 6 years old. Eric has his head on his shoulders and is here to try and help Vince with his career. He's not trying to be a mooch, but just trying to help his friend. Vince makes Eric his manager to help with scripts and to make his life easier. And when I say easier...I mean it as in Vinny doesn't have to talk to Ari Gold (played BRILLIANTLY by Jeremy Piven), a cold hearted, hard as nails, wise cracking, smart butt, genius, and on the top of his game agent. Ari and Eric's arguments are some of the best parts of the show. Both hard headed and both trying to help Vincent, but in somewhat different ways. The whole cast is great and definitely grow on you as the season(s) goes on. Along with the cast you also have a LOT of big name cameos. I was quite surprised to see so many.

What I love about the show is that it makes life seem so fun being rich. Once Vinny makes millions from his first movie, he buys a huge house for him and friends to live in. Cars for them. They take trips when they want. Just hang out and do things we all wished we could do. And when someone like Jessica Alba talks to them, everything is so nonchalant. If it was me, I don't think I'd be able to even speak. Ok maybe I would, but my words would come out all Jibba Jabba like.

And yes there is a story that goes with the show. In season one the big thing is getting Vincent another movie while he's hot. Eric puts a hurting on that because Ari just wants whatever will get Vincent big money, while Eric wants to help get Vinny a good script regardless of the money. Like other shows, it has one `main' theme for the season, while each episode has a mini-story itself.

All in all, I'm very happy I tried this show out. Very funny and I highly recommend it. Especially to guys, even though I know a lot of girls like it too. But like another reviewer mentioned... Entourage is sorta like a Sex in the City for guys.

The show does have a LOT of language that isn't suitable for children in my opinion. Some nudity (though not much) is also in here...like boobs!

4.0 out of 5 stars The TV show equivalent of a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll, May 27, 2005
Clare Quilty (a little pad in hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
...which is to say rich, sugary, not very nutritious but tasty and addictive as hell. It's junk food, no doubt about it, but it's also so enjoyable it's pretty hard to begrudge.

Four friends live together and hang out around L.A.: Vince is a DiCaprio-level star on the rise (though he's reportedly loosely based on producer Mark Wahlberg); Eric is his best friend, a smart kid trying to help him manage his career; and Turtle and Johnny Drama (Vince's has-been older half-brother) are the comic relief. Adding shards of garlic to the mix is Jeremy Piven as Ari, Vince's razor-tongued agent who, were he played by anybody other than Piven, would probably be too much to digest in such an otherwise tangy environment.

In stark contrast to most HBO Sunday night shows ("Sopranos," "Six Feet Under," "Deadwood," all of which usually leave me feeling devastated and so much the better for it) this is bummer-free TV. The characters don't have to work, don't have to worry about money, have infinite free time and access to women and recreational misadventures. Even in those rare moments when they have an actual problem it's never really a pressing problem ("Eric, which movie should I do???"). And each episode seems to end with the main characters sharing a drink while watching the sun set from some beautiful vista.

And you know what? Why not? The show ain't exactly Tolstoy but it's a lot of shiny, colorful fun -- smart dialogue, sharp "inside baseball" industry jokes, attractive ladies, cool toys and an eclectic mix of hip-hop and classic rock. It's like HBO fused the Y chromosome of "Larry Sanders" with the X chromosome of "Sex and the City" and came up with a precocious but charming little tyke.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Show on TV!, September 11, 2005
J. Lyons "usedwigs" (Philly, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
Like most of you mildly miserable folks, I enjoy a healthy serving of shadenfreude when watching a show about handsome, successful Hollywood types. I like... scratch that... I feel unbridled glee when one of these beautiful people get hit with a shovelful of trouble and a cannonball in the gut of comeuppance. Sorry to say, you won't experience this nasty little feeling when watching this splendid half-hour of comedy (with just a lightest sprinkling of drama). It is darn near impossible to root against the five main leads as they navigate their way through the sun-soaked, egomaniacal LA mayhem.

The series has a dreamy, low-key flow that centers around the impossibly good-looking Vinnie Chase, a charming young actor on the rise who surrounds himself with a retinue of pals relocated from Queens, NY. Entourage boasts the most entertaining comedic TV duo since Jason Bateman and David Garrison went head to head in "It's Your Move." Vincent's older brother and C-list actor, the cocky and sublimely insecure Johnny Drama (Kevin Dillon in his best role ever) is rarely seen without sidekick Turtle, the chubby yet confident gofer/chauffer/schemer. Everyone on the planet has met or hung out with a Turtle-kinda-guy, but probably none as impishly appealing.

The effortless badinage between these two (and the entire group) is hilarious, realistic and not too overboard with f-bombs and requisite, hackneyed guy talk. The exquisite Jeremy Piven plays fast-talking, über-agent Ari Gold who is equally hysterical with his complete lack of caring or self-censoring and is creating a new language for hipsters today - "Let's hug it out." - in the vein of "Swingers." The scenes of unctuous Ari terrorizing his underlings at work are masterful, but the real fun is watching him at home trying to cut deals with his equally combative wife.

The grounded Kevin Connolly plays Vince's best friend and manager who keeps it real and is the only one looking for an honest relationship, a nice contrast to the one-nighters by the others. The characters have their faults, but because they rarely take themselves too seriously and realize just how lucky they are to be living in mansions and hanging with the vapid pretty people, you hope this odd yet functional family unit always comes out on top.

The writing, directing and editing is top-notch - subtle, wacky and always touching - and again, if I didn't make my point before, simply hilarious. One nitpick: the show goes a bit overboard with product placement, but hey, that's Hollywood, and they actually make light of it when Vinnie goes on the Jimmy Kimmel show. So all is forgiven. I just watched all of Season Two in one sitting (Thank you HBO for the free promotional weekend!) and it is as good, if not better, than the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, September 17, 2005
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
I took a real hunch on this one. You see, in Australia, we don't get this show - we are the last in the Universe to get anything good and no one here has probably even heard of it. I had heard so many good things about this, that I took the risk and bought it. I knew I liked Jeremy Piven and Kevin Dillon (who plays a guy jealous of his brother, but he's got a real good heart and is funny and well acted) and knowing the subject matter, I trusted the good things I heard and my gut feelings. I am so happy I got this. It's excellent, and funny, seemingly realistic and really well written. No wonder Jeremy has been nominated for an Emmy. I hope he gets it. His character is sleazy and fun to watch. You love to hate him. Watch for great cameo appearances from various actors. It's a fun show, set in LA and produced by Mark Wahlberg who's probably had an entourage or two himself in his life. Get this and watch it all the way through if you haven't already seen it. Even if you have, you will want to watch it again I bet.

4.0 out of 5 stars another great hbo show, May 28, 2005
J. Benvignati (phila, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
what's not to like about four buddies livin large in hollywood? great dialogue, great casting, great music...and extremely hot babes to go with it all. they all bring a certain charm to their roles, but jeremy piven and kevin dillon are standouts. the episode with gary busey was pure genius...great show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough Entourage., August 1, 2005
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
I only recently started watching Entourage as it's not currently shown in Australia. I bought the dvd simply on the recommendations on Amazon, and I was not dissapointed at all. This has quickly become one of my favourite shows. I only wish the episodes were 40 minutes instead of 25, but I guess that would probably mess with the dynamic of the show.

Wanna hug it out? Let's hug it out bitch!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, June 10, 2007
nodice (Manchester, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
I caught a few episodes of this show last year while vacationing in California last year. Thought it looked it interesting and decided to check it out when I returned home. I have to admit the first four episodes did absolutely nothing for me and it took a few days before I popped in the second disc. The second disc to season one redeemed the series for me. Seems the writers finally found their groove. Still, the first season lacks any sort of depth or any real laugh out loud moments. It's just light fluff like watching a group of guys who won the lottery in the land of the rich and beautiful. The only one who comes close to have any sort of depth is Johnny Drama and then Ari a close second. Our leading star, Vince, is as interesting as watching grass grow. Overall: Nothing really to write home about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hug it out...., August 23, 2005
This review is from: Entourage: Season 1 (DVD)
Living down here at the bottom of the world (New Zealand), we get the occasional helping of good US TV (and plenty of the crappy stuff too). We get HBO shows like Sporanos and Six feet under on free-to-air tv which is cool, but still no sign of Entourage. Scored this as it's got Jermey Piven, and it proved to be a good hunch. The writing in this show is fantastic, and doesn't try and inflict any moral judgements on the characters, rather preferring to let them run wild, which they do, frequently. Hilariously entertaining, thoroughly cheeky and a great watch. And like all great comedies, there's the essential catchphrase that will no doubt shortly join the lexicon of great pop culture references...

Entourage: Season 1
Entourage: Season 1 by Julian Farino (DVD - 2013)
$29.98 $13.49