I am a small business leader, owner. I don't plan on running a 500 person company, or a 50 person company. I have 15 people and I want to be a better leader, and keeping things simple. I know my character is the driving force behind whether i succeed or not.

Published on September 28, 2011 by Mike Larson

Published on February 21, 2012 by adammvega

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical application for the business leader who puts integrity above all else., September 28, 2011

I do want to grow my company! However I do believe in Dave's philosophy of not letting debt own you. Growing your business debt free means you have some freedoms, maybe you don't start out of the gate a larger company, but you start out stronger financially in terms of freedom.

So I chose to attend the Entreleadership workshop in Nashville 2 years ago. That rocked my world. I came away with 28 pages of typed notes, and a binder full of notes and thoughts. I condensed my notes into 6 pages of action items (another still learned from Entre).

Whatever you learn is worthless unless you apply it. I felt equipped to maintain the character needed to sustain leading my team with an entrepreneurial leadership style that Dave encourages. Its one thing to read a business book and get all hyped up about some new method or networking practice.

When it comes down to it, people hire people they like. Entreleadship taught me how to be the leader that attracts the right people, how to be the right person, before you grow the right company, because as its well known, "how you are in the small things, is how you are in the large things".

The Entre wisdom is amazingly simple, profound, and biblical. Its not a calculated hype. It works, and was one of the best returns on the money and time I spent in terms of business material to help me grow, and be profitable.

Still to this day, we utilize, EntreLeadership principles in our daily workplace. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to use their business to grow their character, and their character to shape their leadership and their leadership to grow their business.

Thanks Dave.

3.0 out of 5 stars If it didn't have Dave's name on it, this would not have such glowing reviews., February 21, 2012
Full disclosure - I love Dave Ramsey and I believe his teachings are beyond beneficial to the often jaded public of today. I would recommend his work to nearly every person out there, but if brand new and interested in running a business I think "Financial Peace" is the way to go, compared to this one. "Entreleadership" was not a bad book by any means; it provided classic Dave Ramsey insight and addresses a gap in business that is often overlooked. Having said that, "Entreleadership" would be a mediocre business/entrepreneurial book at best, but is receiving RIDICULOUS claims in these reviews simply because it says Dave Ramsey on it. If you're like me and interpret the word "entrepreneur", however incorrect it may be, as meaning a relatively small or upstart business where the owner is just scrapping for everything they get, then this book is not for you; not right now at least. I stated earlier that this book addresses a gap in business, and it does, but not for a "small" business. I feel this book is directed to a small business that is rocketing towards major corporate stardom and thus at risk of losing its identity, its connection with their employees, and the manager losing their own identity. Much of the content in this book would have been nicely stated in a chapter or two in a more detailed startup book because if you want to run a team you should know this stuff. So if you are thinking this is a book that will help you in starting and running a small business, think again. But if you are an established small business and losing your identity (or afraid of one day losing your identity) then I highly recommend this book. And if you're just interested in business and want a book to read then pull the trigger, all of Dave's works are worth reading at least once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Work on Leadership in Business: Very Good, But not Great, September 20, 2011
Fr. Charles Erlandson (Tyler, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches (Kindle Edition)
Even though I'm not a businessman, I'm very interested in leadership and have read a lot of works on leadership. I've also learned so much from Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University that I thought surely Dave's newest work, "EntreLeadership" would be worth my money.

"EntreLeadership," is a good book on leadership in business. But I don't feel it's a great one. He has, as always, a lot of good practical knowledge that he's willing to share with us. But it's usually not something I haven't read elsewhere in books on leadership or related literature. So, yes, the book's probably worth buying, but it didn't seem to be as excellent in its genre as is Dave's "Financial Peace." There is a lot of excellent basic material here on leadership, goals, organization, working with people, etc. But it's not especially original or compelling. And it's not very in-depth, largely because Dave deals with so many topics all in one book. Still, "EntreLeadership" is a good, one-stop place for good, basic advice on many subjects related to leadership and business. Almost everyone will find something of value in it, especially businessmen looking for a proven, practical vision with integrity.

What Dave shares in this book is his "playbook" for business success, divided up into 15 topics.

Dave sets out first to define what an "EntreLeader" is. It's kind of an ugly word, but Dave feels that what he wanted in business from himself and others was people who had the good characteristics of both leaders and entrepreneurs. So what is an EntreLeader? I'm glad you asked! According to Dave, they're people who can be:
Passionately serving
Mavericks who have integrity
Disciplined risk takers
Courageous while humble
Motivated visionaries
Driven while loyal
Influential learners

Dave concludes Chapter 1 by discussing some of the characteristics of leaders, such as power, the need to be servants, and passion. There's some good stuff here, but it's not really original or uniquely compelling.

In Chapter 2, Dave walks us from Dreams to Visions to Mission Statements and Goals. Again, there's good wisdom here, but it's not really unique, and he doesn't spend a lot of time on each. He spends the most time on goals (I won't rehearse what he says here), and it's good material that almost anyone will benefit from. But once again, it's not groundbreaking or original stuff you can't get elsewhere.

Chapter 3 deals with time management and organization. This is something I'm naturally good enough at but not nearly as good as I ought to be. So I learned some new tricks in this chapter - or, more accurately - was motivated to make a better effort to apply what I already know.

The rest of the chapters follow suit in giving good and even excellent advice, but possibly material you've heard before. I have less experience with business than with leading or dreaming, so I can't speak as specifically to the parts that deal specifically with business (such as Chapters 7, 13, and 14). But from what I can tell, they're good solid material for running a business, if that's what I did. I particularly like the chapter on selling (such as Chapters 7, 8, 11, and 12) because in these chapters Dave shows how business can be done with integrity. I like as well the way that throughout he demonstrates a genuine interest in the people who work for him (this especially came out in a touching story in Chapter 7 about someone Dave hired who couldn't live off the salary he could afford to pay her) and those he is serving. These chapters, dealing with people, are probably his strongest chapters because he highlights the need to serve the people around you and not exalt yourself at their expense.

A lot of what Dave says applies, even if you're not in business. For example, any leader can benefit from Dave's philosophy in Chapter 11 that as leaders we must put people first and that the way to judge this is by the Golden Rule. It's good advice to remember, as he teaches in Chapter 12, that we should remember to recognize people. I know that personally, I thrive on appropriate and deserved recognition. In Chapter 12, Dave provides a list of various ways we can actually do this for others. Most of these, such as casting a vision, storytelling, passion, and example, are ways of recognizing others that you could use outside of business, too.

There's much more I could say, but by now you've gotten an idea of the value of the book.

The remainder of the book is organized this way (I'm giving the gist of each chapter, and not the fancy titles):

Chapter 4 - Making Decisions
Chapter 12 - Recognizing and Inspiring Employees
Chapter 13 - Contracts, Vendors, and Collections
Chapter 14 - Compensation Plans
Chapter 15 - Delegating

I recommend "EntreLeadership" as a good, big picture, book that will help leaders and businessman lead and innovate with greater integrity and skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with advice you can apply immediately, September 20, 2011
This book works whether you lead a team at work or lead your family at home. I love how he puts so clearly into perspective the big things that matter when it comes to business and leadership. While many of these things we know, the examples and practical application provided in EntreLeadership make it well worth keeping this book handy on the shelf. It's a great road map for business and leadership of all types.

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but no index for future lookups, May 9, 2012
I've been through Financial Peace University, I listen to Dave Ramsey's podcasts, and I enjoy his presentations enormously. Although I am a longtime Ramsey fan, I am disappointed with his EntreLeadership book. It strikes me as just another Business 101 book. It covers topics like the 4 quadrants of time management, relational intelligence, the DiSC personality types (which are somewhat similar to the Meyers-Briggs personality types), etc. There are very few illustrations, but there are square bar (QR) codes and URLs scattered throughout the book that direct the reader to additional content. (That doesn't quite work for me. When I am reading a book, I don't like the idea of needing to have an internet connection available as well. That pretty much defeats the portability of the book.)

The biggest disappointment for me is that the book does not have an index. So, if you want to check back on something you read a few days ago, good luck hunting it down.

To its credit, the book has Dave's signature humor, charm, and folksy wisdom. It's an enjoyable read, but I can't believe the publisher (Howard Books) let this version out the door without an index.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Resource for Business Leaders!, September 27, 2011
The principles in EntreLeadership have allowed me to take my business to the next level. I was able to immediately apply the concepts in my business, resulting in a more cohesive team atmosphere, more efficient business processes and a better bottom line! Dave has distilled down the practical techniques for success, making them easy to understand, allowing the entire team to get on board. This is an excellent book for your entire management team! I highly recommend it for anyone in a business leadership role.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man vs. Wild for Small Business, November 14, 2011
B. Armstrong (Roundup, MT USA) - See all my reviews
As a CPA, I am very pleased to see good advice presented for an under-served topic: Leadership and management in a small business setting. This book presents practical advice for someone looking to start a new business or take their small business to the next level. This book would be a great gift for a small business owner who did not get "formal" business training.

OK - Dave Ramsey will not make business school obsolete with one book, just like Man vs. Wild will not eliminate the Air Force survival school (SERE). But the result is the same: a guy with a lot of training and experience shows you how he overcame specific situations using his head and the tools at hand. If you feel like you've been dropped behind enemy lines in your new business, you will glean some great information and ideas from reading this book.

Having said that, MBAs and experienced corporate professionals who read this book will probably find that they already well versed with about a third or half of the information presented, having spent at least one-thousand times the cost of this book for formal training. (And Army Rangers sometimes yawn watching Man vs. Wild.) But even seasoned professionals will find some key insights into the unique problems of getting a small startup off the ground.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boilerplate Advice with No Forethought, October 17, 2011
After reading Dave's books on personal money management and learning a lot from them and, knowing that Dave has been giving these classes on leadership called EntreLeadership; I was was eager to read this book and expected some good advice and some original thought.
I wasn't necessarily wrong on that front and that's where the two stars come in, but I was very disappointed on the delivery.
First of all the book is all about Dave and the Lampo Group which he owns and runs. I kept finding myself dissatisfied with the examples he gives to illustrate his points, I found them inadequate and hollow, if there were examples from businesses that Dave had coached it would have been a little more informative and genuine.
Another way the book kept getting under my skin was the way Dave gives illustrates his points with examples from what he's doing at the moment!
Case in point: Dave wants to show that setting goals is important and that doing so works, so he says that he committed to writing this book and he set himself a goal to have it done by December, and then he broke it down into goals for chapters, "it's now early Friday morning and I'm at the office writing this chapter because I said I would have it done by the end of the week" (paraphrasing). Isn't this book supposed to be based on 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches? and if so, couldn't he find an example more than a week old to illustrate why goal setting is important?

The other problem I had with the book was that all the advice was so boilerplate and generic I just couldn't get excited by any of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Playbook for starting and growing a prosperous venture, January 1, 2013
Vincent Socci (Endicott, NY USA) - See all my reviews
EntreLeadership is an experience-based playbook for starting and growing a prosperous venture, modeled from Dave Ramsey's own entrepreneurial success. Ramsey takes the high road to show how to build a business, why to lead with moral integrity, who to put on your team, when to make the tough decisions, where to put your money, and what to offer your customers. Each of the 15 chapters tackles a different challenge of starting and growing a business. Ramsey blazes a trail to successful ventures for the reader to follow. Key takeaways include:

* EntreLeadership Basics
* Vision, Mission, and Goals
* Time Management and Organization
* Decision-Making
* Effective Marketing
* How to Launch Your Dream
* Hiring and Firing People
* Strategies for Selling by Serving
* Financial Management in Business (This happens to be Ramsey's world-recognized area of expertise)
* Creating a Culture of Communication
* Building Unity and Loyalty in your People
* Motivating your Team with Recognition and Inspiration
* Managing Contracts and Suppliers
* Fruitful Compensation Plans
* Delegating to Build the Business

Best of all, Ramsey shares his experience and realistic advice, rather than spewing impractical theories. He is open with his own personal battle scars, shares the emotional peaks and valleys he traveled, and is transparent about his own conflicts and mistakes. This honesty draws the reader in and makes Ramsey's story real and believable. It is as though you have an experienced, world-champion mentor at your fingertips, guiding your business growth. All you need to do is be disciplined enough to follow his coaching.

As an entrepreneur, and consultant to other entrepreneurs, I found this book to be full of helpful lessons, many of which I can vouch for myself with my own battle scars. Ramsey is absolutely right on target with his advice. His moral integrity is encouraging and gives hope to entrepreneurs who want to lead with business ethics. His advice is timeless and practical in all business/industry sectors with global appeal.

Ramsey's stories, wit, and wisdom are the golden nuggets of this book, providing leadership principles that can be immediately applied. The author overdoes it with so many stories that the reader may get distracted from the intended leadership concepts.

EntreLeadership teaches the reader how to be the right kind of leader with the right kind of character. Consultants, entrepreneurs, and business leaders at all levels will benefit from this book. New entrepreneurs will get a roadmap to success. Wounded leaders will get practical advice to get back on track. Readers will be equipped to immediately put Ramsey's business experience, entrepreneurial plans, and leadership principles into practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for Business or Ministry Leaders, January 26, 2012
I am a pastor and got this book to glean principles for leading our ministry. I found alot of helpful ideas in the book with chapters on hiring people, communication, delegation, dreaming and vision, confronting issues, and financial principles. If you are a ministry leader, you will benefit a great deal from reading this book.