From the Publisher
From the Back Cover
Just read the headlines. Whether it’s global warming, arctic drilling, or expanding industrial nations, the news is filled with stories about environmental issues. To understand the news, you have to understand the science. With Botkin and Keller’s Fifth Edition of Environmental Science, you’ll have the opportunity to develop a firm foundation of scientific knowledge, so you can think through environmental issues and make your own decisions regarding the environment.
There’s much more to explore online!
You can use your knowledge of environmental science to explore real and pressing environmental issues online with the Student Companion Site at www.wiley.com/college/botkin. The Student Companion Site features:
- Critical Thinking Issues: These guided questions and web-based research questions give you the chance to critically appraise such issues as preserving the coral reef or critiquing the Gaia hypothesis.
- Regional Essays and Interactive Map of the World: These essays allow you to explore interesting issues and examples of key environmental topics.
- Virtual Field Trip Activities: These activities identify and describe key issues in environmental science and lead you to relevant websites and local facilities, such as wastewater treatment facilities or power plants, so you can explore proposed solutions to environmental problems.
- Environmental Debates: Present two sides of a contentious issue affecting the environment. Links to key websites and questions help you gain a sophisticated appreciation of important issues.
- Online Quiz Questions: These quizzes are invaluable in preparing for tests and exams. They also allow you to email your answers and responses directly to your professor.