Published on July 8, 2011 by M. Husted

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if it's working
I agree with some of the other reviews that I can't tell if it's really working or not. I have major bowel issues and wanted to get off fiber, psyllium and all that stuff, so started using it at first with 47 pistashios, Dr. Andrew Weil's cure for all stomach ailments. I ended up with the runs that were awful! So now I am still using what I have along with Organic Papaya...
Published 19 months ago by K. Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well for suppressing GERD symptoms, but not necessarily a cure!!!, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Enzymatic Therapy DGL Ultra Chocolate, 90 Chewable Tabs (Health and Beauty)
This product is very effective in suppressing GERD symptoms, but is not a cure for the root cause. I have suffered from "GERD" for over 4 years now. The Air Force started me on Prevacid after mentioning the word "heartburn", and then switched me to Nexium later. When I got out in 2008, I started buying Prilosec OTC. Then Prevacid OTC came out and I started taking that because it seemed to work the best at suppressing my heartburn.

The meds, when I took them, were controlling my heartburn fairly well. However, after reading numerous accounts recently on the effect of these medicines on the digestive system and wanting to find a natural cure, I stopped taking them. The meds were only masking the underlying problem I have going on in my GI tract (Read Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and GERD by Jonathan V. Wright, M.D. for an eye-opening experience - he mentions DGL in the book too). One problem arose from the NSAIDs I was taking for reconstructive knee surgery, which the military docs hand out like candy (Vitamin M, or Motrin as some may know it :-) ). Due to the over-prescription and my own careless use, they were irritating the lining in my stomach and caused chronic gastritis. The gastritis is healing now because I stopped taking them almost 2 months ago. I have been using this DGL product to restore the protective mucus lining in my stomach, allowing the inflammation to heal.

The greatest thing about DGL Ultra is that it does NOT suppress stomach acid and it has VERY little glycyrrhizinate (like decaf coffee, it's still has a little of the unwanted substance in it), which can raise blood pressure in some people. If you don't already know this, stomach acid is good for you. I know, that's not what the "doctors" say and sounds counter-intuitive these days. However, the short story is (and you can read more about it in the book mentioned above or many other books on natural cures for GERD that are on Amazon), you need stomach acid to break down the food before it enters the small intestines. If their is insufficient acid, then the "mixture" will stay in your stomach longer, further increasing the chances that it will make it in to your esophagus where you feel the pain. Even a small amount of acid in the esophagus feels like you have too much acid because their is no protective lining in there. The DGL helps to keep the acid from irritating the inflamed lining in my stomach and even healed a cold sore in my mouth.

For this product to be most effective, you really should take it on an empty stomach, at least a half hour before a meal and chew thoroughly with very little water. You want it to coat your gastric and intestinal linings so that it can stimulate mucus production BEFORE the acid turns on with a meal. I usually chew 2 tablets at a time between meals and after my last meal at night. If you take this any other way, you may not get the best results. By the way, the German Chocolate flavor tastes pretty good. Keep in mind, this product does have in milk in it though. I am not sure how much and if it will have the same effect if you are allergic to dairy products. You may have to contact the company for more details.

5.0 out of 5 stars DGL Ultra German Choc, September 25, 2011
Jan Jennings (Medford, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I love this product! It works, and the German Chocolate is so yummy - in fact, this flavor doesn't even resemble the taste of the regular flavored product at all (thankfully!). I highly recommend this product. It's great for those times when your stomach is just not digesting your food properly and you have a belly ache that just won't go away. As a side note, DGL is highly recommended and effective for people with ulcers (peptic/gastric/duodenal)caused by the H.pylori bacteria. DGL is composed of several flavonoids which have been shown to inhibit H.pylori. DGL is extremely safe and is less expensive than the standard treatments. Research it on the internet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw the prilosec away, January 17, 2010
I've been using this product for 6 months. It's great works better than prilosec. It's much cheaper,taste great. Delivery was fast(3 days during the holiday rush) I've suffered from GRED my whole life buy this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver, August 5, 2012
I used this product to get rid of an ulcer in my esophagus, so I took my mother off Nexium and put her on DGL and it healed up the ulcers in her stomach.

The gastroenterologist said her stomach has never looked so good, and he has been treating her for 20 years. He said, "whatever you are doing it is working." This stuff will cure and keep away ulcers! She still takes one everyday for maintenance and likes the chocolate flavor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seemed to settle my stomach on occasional usage., February 20, 2010
Quadradox (United States) - See all my reviews
I've gone through one bottle of this product over about 5 months -- so not using it regularly. I found it did seem to settle my stomach for occasional heartburn that was not persistent, most typically prompted by tea, coffee or spicy food. My method for trying it was usually once a day before breakfast. I occasionally added a second dose before dinner or at bedtime. The package directions indicate maximum of 3 per day

I have not notice any side effects from my infrequent usage. I do notice that glycine is included, which may have biologic action -- not too surprisingly making it harder to attribute my response solely to DGL. I did track my blood pressure for awhile and did not find any particular pattern of change. However, obviously my observations were not double-blinded, they were performed in only one person, and I am typically normotensive. So I am UNable to confirm the reported benefit of DEGLYCYRRHIZINATED forms of licorice being blood pressure neutral for everyone.

I am satisfied enough to return and purchase again. I tried the fructose free/sugarless version DGL- Fructose Free/Sugarless 100 tabs and am not as pleased. In principle, I like the concept of going sugarless, BUT . . . This one tastes much more intensely like licorice with no chocolate masking. Unfortunately perhaps, licorice has never been a preferred flavor for me. Worse yet, a serving size for this product is 2 pills rather than one -- so double the taste I'd rather skip. More importantly, the sugarless form of the product even at only one pill per serving has at times produced a burning sensation in my esophagus -- particularly if I don't consume enough water with it. The carrier ingredients are slightly different -- unknown if that is why. Maybe some buffer is missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars worked wonders, October 7, 2011
I tried DGL on the advice of my gastroenterologist because of severe reflux. None of the prescription meds were taking care of it. But this stuff did the trick. I take one after a heavy meal and 2 at bedtime. Finally, some relief. Just make sure you get the german chocolate flavor, and not the natural.

4.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, September 29, 2012
Have peptic ulcers and it does have a calming effect on the stomach right before meal time. so happy to use to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try this instead of expensive prescription, January 12, 2013
I have always had a little indigestion, and as I get older it seems to have gotten worse. Up to now I have used ant-acid tablets like Digel or Tums for acid-reflux. I finally decided to seek out medical help and after several tests my Doctor prescribed a powerful medication, Nexium, for what I felt was a minor discomfort. After reading the side effects of such and expensive drug, I decided to seek out other alternatives. My wife seen DGL Ultra on the Doctor Oz Show. I thought, for the price I wanted to see what it did for me. My doctor told me to keep an eye on my blood pressure to see if it increased. After a month of use I have not noticed any change. The directions for the product are simple enough. Just take 20 minutes before meal time. I like the fact that you take it before a meal, instead of afterwards when you are having problems. I like the taste and it had a positive effect not only on my stomach but my entire digestive system. If you are having issues with indigestion, I would highly recommend you try this product. It’s way cheaper than the Doctor and all the testing I went through. If it doesn’t help, then spend big bucks on the exams and Nexium. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver!, July 25, 2012
I found this product in a health food store and decided to try it on the owners recommendation. I'm so glad that I did!!! My stomach feels so much better..no more pain! Love the German Chocolate flavor...tastes just as good as G. C. cake!!! I try to make sure to follow the directions...1 tablet 20 minutes before a meal x 3 meals, but sometimes on the weekends I forget to take them with me if I leave the house. No problem! Found that I can take one up to an hour after I eat and it still works great!! Unfortunatly I paid over $15 for a bottle at the store, but now after finding them here, I can now get two bottles for the price of one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping GERD at bay, April 15, 2010
R. Blake (Lummi Island, WA) - See all my reviews
I tried the Prilosec, etc. drugs, but digestive enzymes and this DGL Ultra seem to be much more effective for me long term. In particular, I find that NOT eating at night before bedtime is a continuing hardship for me. But sometimes, just popping two of these in my mouth gets me past that urge and through a good night. I find them tasty enough to continue to use them.

Enzymatic Therapy DGL Ultra Chocolate, 90 Chewable Tabs