5.0 out of 5 stars Video Demonstration!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:56 Mins
Published on November 27, 2012 by Cole

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, horrible execution.
Let me start out by saying that I loved what this does. I've used it about a half dozen times to turn zucchini into the most convincing and delicious paleo spaghetti possible and I've been telling everyone that it's the best kitchen gadget I've bought in recent memory.

Published 17 months ago by KT

5.0 out of 5 stars Video Demonstration!, November 27, 2012
Length:: 3:56 Mins

Pulling the spiral slicer out of the box, it was immediately apparent how sturdy the product was. It's made with heavy plastic and very sharp blades (on the attachment slides). There are thick suction cups on each corner that firmly grasp your countertop, making it near impossible to slide when using. I'd honestly never used a machine quite like this in my kitchen before, and found it pretty fool-proof. It was very easy to use, and functioned perfectly. This would be a perfect machine for someone trying to mix things up in the kitchen, OR for someone that's looking for an alternative type of pasta noodles. As you can see in my video, the zucchini slices into thin, even strands and tastes VERY similar to spaghetti noodles! I also demonstrated cucumber slices as well as curly potato fries! I hope you guys enjoy my video, and I'd definitely purchase from this company again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, horrible execution., July 5, 2013
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)

I would still feel that way if I didn't have to come to terms with the fact that this thing is built horribly.

That almost the entire gadget is made of plastic makes it easy to clean, which encouraged me to always wash it immediately after using it and store it well. But this didn't change the nature of the plastic. When I went to use it for the fifth time I noticed that the plastic leg where the suction screw (yes screw, not machine bolt) was completely shattered. I never dropped this or had to push excessively hard to get the suction to work, just normal use and totally shattered.
And then the spiral slicer side handle fell off. It was a pain to get back on, but I got it back on.

Then I used it for the sixth time. While adjusting for the awkwardness of the broken leg, the spiral side handle fell off again.

I love what this product does. It's amazing that it's this cheap, but to have it completely demolished and now unusable after 6 times? I'll take the mild inconvenience of less uniform julienned zucchini. I just threw away money on a worthless piece of plastic.

No thanks, Epica. I'd gladly buy a more expensive product to do the same thing if it were worth the money, but this experience left a bad taste and a whole lot less zucchini pasta in my mouth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for making raw spagetti noodles, November 24, 2012
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
I have been easing into the transition of becoming a raw vegan. One of the foods that was hard for me to give up was pasta, so I wanted to learn to start making pasta noodles from veggies, primarily zucchini. I started searching on Amazon for a spiral slicer and came across the Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer. It works great; I can now make healthy spaghetti very easily. The blades are super sharp and it is super easy to clean. I like how it comes with the storage for the other blades. I love this slicer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the kitchen!, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
We eat a lot of vegetables in my house and I'm the head chef. I really get tired of constantly slicing, chopping, cutting and dicing them for our meals. Not to mention that there are times when I'd like to have a more festive, professional touch if I'm serving guests or a special occasion.

The Epica Vegetable Slicer is a real asset to the kitchen. It comes with three blades and you do the work, but with turning a handle it's not as hard on the hands as wielding a knife. Not to mention that the vegetables come out uniform.

We love fried potatoes and I like to buy those with thin skins so we can leave them on. A bit of scrubbing and they get those vital nutrients. With two teenagers, my husband and myself, we need a lot of potatoes so I can take all of the help I can get. First, the slicer has four suction cups and they hold really tight. I was grateful for that because you don't want any slipping when you're working with a blade. You simply put the potato end on the silver post and press the handle with the spokes against it. It holds it into place. You just turn the handle and the potato gets sliced.

There are three blades that come with the slicer that are stored on one side of it. You can easily replace the blade for whichever style you are wanting. There is a flat blade for slicing, a blade for shredding and another blade that turns your veggies into spirals. Perfect for curly fries or garnishing!

I don't have a dishwasher so I wasn't sure how hard it was going to be to clean up the slicer, but it is really simple to clean and no bothersome crevices to worry about. As I said, a perfect addition to any kitchen and I'm thrilled with the results!

1.0 out of 5 stars Blades looked used, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
I was so excited when I found this Vegetable Slicer for so much less than the World Cuisine slicer. Online, they look to be identical. However, when I received the Epica slicer and took it out of the box, I was fast disappointed. The blades were scratched, dinged, pitted, and dented. Quite frankly, they looked used and abused. I am in the process of returning the product. I saw a similar "off brand" of the World Cuisine Slicer where a reviewer compared the World Cuisine slicer to the other brand and the World Cuisine slicer had blades that were shipped with protection over them and a number of other differences that lead me to believe that the World Cuisine slicer may be better quality and is probably worth the extra money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer vs Nine Leading Spiralizers (Tier I), July 8, 2014
RWM (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
****
This is a side-by-side comparison of ten "Spiralizer" products: Brieftons Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer, Crafty Kitchen Tri Blade Vegetable Slicer, Kitchen Basics Tri-Blade Turning Spiral Slicer, Chef's Star Spiral Slicer, New and Essential Spiralizer Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer, Abco Tech New and Essential Tri Blade Vegetable Slicer, Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer, Jumbl Vegetable and Fruit Spiral Slicer Tri-Blade, Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Spiral Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer, and Bitoni Spiralizer Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer.

I was given all of these products to test and evaluate. My review of all of them is objective and was not influenced by the fact that they were supplied to me without cost. They are:

Brieftons Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer (*****) - Price: $28.99; Color: green; Weight: 26.8 ounces; lifetime warranty. (See, Brieftons Tri-Blade Spiral Slicer: Vegetable Spiralizer with Strongest-and-Heaviest Guarantee, Lifetime Replacement Warranty, Perfect Fresh Veggie Spaghetti & Pasta Maker for Low Carb Healthy Vegetable Meals)

Kitchen Basics Tri-Blade Turning Spiral Slicer (*****) - Price: $19.95; Color: white; Weight: 27.3 ounces; lifetime warranty. (See, Kitchen Basics Tri-Blade Turning Vegetable Slicer)

Crafty Kitchen Tri Blade Vegetable Slicer (*****) - Price: $23.99; Color: pale blue-white; Weight: 27.0 ounces; lifetime warranty. (See, The Crafty Kitchen Tri Blade Vegetable Slicer - Spiral Cutter - Spiralizer for Vegetables, Fruit and Raw Food Cuisine - Gluten Free Pasta - Zucchini Noodles - Julienne Peeler - Mandoline - Create Healthy Gourmet Meals with Zero Risk - 100% Lifetime Guar...)

New and Essential Spiralizer Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (****) - $19.99; Color: light grey; Weight: 26.8 ounces; no warranty. (See, New and Essential Spiralizer Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer)

Jumbl Vegetable and Fruit Spiral Slicer Tri-Blade (****) - Price: $24.99; Color: white; Weight: 27.5 ounces; one year warranty. (See, Jumbl™ Vegetable & Fruit Spiral Slicer Tri-Blade w/Three Stainless Steel Blades - Made of Food- Grade Plastic - No Electricity Needed)

Chef's Star Spiral Slicer (****) - Price: $19.99; Color: light grey; Weight: 26.8 ounces; no warranty. (See, Chef's Star Spiralizer Omni-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer , Peeler & Shredder)

Abco Tech New and Essential Tri Blade Vegetable Slicer (****) - Price: N/A; Color: White; Weight 27.8 ounces; one year warranty. (See, Abco Tech New and Essential Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer)

Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (****) - Price: $19.95; Color: Off white; Weight 26.8 ounces; one year warranty. (See, Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer)

Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Spiral Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer (***) - Price: $34.14; Color: white; Weight: 27.3 ounces; one year warranty. (See, Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer)

Bitoni Spiralizer Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer (*) - Price: $29.97; Color: white; Weight: 27.7 ounces; lifetime warranty. (See, Spiralizer Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer, 30% Heavier Duty Than Paderno And Others, Lifetime "No Hassle" Warranty, Fresh Veggie Pasta Maker, Easiest Way to Eat More Vegetables)

THE PRODUCT: The spiral vegetable slicer, or "Spiralizer" as they are sometimes called, is best described as a slicing machine that can be used for vegetables and fruits to make noodles and curlicues out of them. You can use the whole vegetable or fruit to do this. It comes with three blades: a straight blade for ribbon type cuts, a shredder blade with smaller holes for spaghetti type cuts, and a chipper blade with larger holes to create thicker curly cuts.

You simply insert one of three blades that come with the product into the slicer, place the fruit or vegetable on the spindle, and crank the handle. Voila!, out come long noodles or curlicues.

I started with a whole cucumber and was surprised how easy it was to make a SINGLE curlicue out of the entire cucumber. The thing must have been three feet long! Whoa! It was actually very appetizing, so much so, that I decided to make a cucumber salad with EVOO, balsamic vinegar, grated parmigiano reggiano, and a lot of fresh ground pepper. Not only did it look appetizing, it tasted great. Good and good for you. What was also interesting was that I did not peel the cucumber. I washed it with a vegetable wash. This was important to me, because I believe that most of the nutrients are contained in the skin of most produce.

So, I repeated the process with some carrots and zucchini squash. Same outstanding results.

These products make fresh, low carb vegetable pasta in no time. For me, this is important, because I'm trying to wean myself off of the real pasta. I am diabetic and recently went on the Paleo diet in an effort to cut down on the carbs, so this product is perfect for me, and at a very affordable price.

Each of the products cleans up easily with warm water and mild dishwashing soap.

Really! These are great, practical, healthful, relatively inexpensive, and fun products. They are a useful addition to any kitchen.

All of these products are similar, but not identical. They differ in a number of respects, some of which are important.

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE: The Brieftons, Crafty Kitchen, Kitchen Basics, Abco Tech, Jumbl, and Bitoni are labeled. For whatever reason, the labels on both the Bitoni and the Abco Tech say "Koening." The New and Essential, Chef's Star, Epica, and Paderno are not labeled. The Paderno is about two inches shorter in length than the others. The Paderno does not have a platform extending beyond the blade section of the product, while the others do.

COLOR: The Brieftons is green, the Kitchen Basics, Abco Tech, Jumbl, Paderno, and Bitoni are white. The Crafty Kitchen is pale blue-white. The Chef's Star and New and Essential are light grey. The Epica is off white.

PLACE OF MANUFACTURE: All of the products are made in China, but apparently not all by the same manufacturer.

WEIGHT: The Brieftons weighs 26.9 ounces, the Crafty Kitchen weighs 27.0 ounces, the Kitchen Basics weighs 27.3 ounces, the Chef's Star weighs 26.8 ounces, the New and Essential weighs 26.8 ounces, the Abco Tech weighs 27.8 ounces, the Epica weighs 26.8 ounces, the Jumbl weighs 27.5 ounces, the Paderno weighs 27.3 ounces, and the Bitoni weighs 27.7 ounces.

In my opinion, the small difference in weight does not make a difference in the "sturdiness" of the products. However, I am not able to detect why one product is slightly lighter or slightly heavier than the others. The fact that the Paderno is about two inches shorter in length than the others may suggest that the Paderno is denser than the others, but the weight difference isn't that substantial ... less than one ounce.

EFFICIENCY: All of the products work with equal efficiency. There is no discernable difference between them in terms of slicing vegetables. The weaknesses of one, if any, are the weaknesses of all. The strengths of one, if any, are the strengths of all. If any of these companies claims that their product works better than the others, don't believe it. They're all basically the same.

EXTENDED PLATFORM: The extended platform is intended to work as a "gutter" on your roof. When spiralized strands come out at that end, they first land on that extended platform. A plate or bowl placed beneath that platform can then catch the spiral slices. The bottom piece that moves along the body of the spiral slicer actually will push spiral slices off the extended platform and onto the plate/bowl. It's designed this way so that it is less messy using it. The Paderno does not have an extended platform. All the other products do. This is an important distinction between the Paderno and the other products.

PRICE: The price of some of these products changes frequently on Amazon, and those changes can be significant. Some of these products, like the Paderno and the Bitoni, have unstable prices. I view this as unfavorable and predatory. You need to watch the price and try not to pay more than the mid to high $20s for any of these products. If you paid more than $30.00, even for a product with a lifetime warranty, you probably paid too much.

WARRANTY: The Brieftons, Bitoni, Crafty Kitchen, and Kitchen Basics offer a lifetime replacement warranty. The Paderno, Abco Tech, Epica, and Jumbl offer a one year warranty. The Chef's Star, and New and Essential have no warranty. This is an important distinction between the products. A warranty for these Spiralizers is important because they are somewhat fragile and subject to breakage. A good warranty is probably worth the investment of a few more dollars. The Bitoni Spiralizer's claim that it is the "Strongest and Heaviest-Duty Guarantee Over Paderno and Others" is unsupported. There is no evidence that the Bitoni warranty is better than the Brieftons, the Crafty Kitchen, or the Kitchen Basics, which also have a lifetime warranty.

There seems to be a direct correlation between price and warranty. The products with lifetime warranties are more expensive, whereas the products with one year or no warranties are less expensive or inexpensive.

If any of these companies fail to honor their warranty, you should post that information here and call it to the attention of Amazon.

FALSE AND DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING: The Bitoni has made the claim that it is "30% heavier duty than Paderno and others." I find no evidence of this. All of the products appear to be equal when it comes to sturdiness. It is surprising that Bitoni made this claim, which I view as false and deceptive advertising. Bitoni is also rated the No. 1 Seller in "Choppers and Mincers." It's not clear how Bitoni acquired that dubious title, particularly since the product is neither a chopper nor a mincer. These deceptions reflect badly upon the company, its principals, and the product and create a serious transparency issue.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Thus far, I was only able to experience customer service with the Brieftons, the Bitoni, and the Crafty Kitchen. I found the folks at Brieftons and Crafty Kitchen to be straightforward, honest, and helpful. I found the folks at Bitoni to be unreliable and insincere in that they failed to deliver what they had promised. On more than a few occasions, the Bitoni folks failed to return phone calls or respond to emails. Because I think the transparency and integrity of a company is critical when making a purchase of any product, this was an important consideration for me.

INSTRUCTION MANUAL: These products come with a one page insert that explains the operation of the product, which is simple. Brieftons has authored a video about the operation of the product. See, youtube.com/watch?v=IJuPlfpR4XM. Crafty Kitchen has authored a similar video. See, youtube.com/watch?v=nznB7VMna6o&app=desktop.

RECIPE BOOK: With some exceptions, these products do not come with a recipe book. You can download a recipe book on some of the websites for these products. Brieftons offers a free downloadable 20-recipe spiral slicer e-book. Crafty Kitchen's customers receive a Complimentary e-book of 15 spiral slicing recipes. That e-book, the first in a series, is available only to customers of Crafty Kitchen.

CUSTOMER IMAGES: Pictures of all of these products are provided in the "Customer Images" section of the product page.

KOENING: Two of these products, the Bitoni and the Abco Tech, have a "Koening" label on them. I must assume that these products are the same and made by the same company and are knock offs of another product.

CHEF'S STAR / NEW AND ESSENTIAL: Two of these products, the Chef's Star and the New and Essential, come in a box marked "Chef's Star." However, they are not labeled and look and weigh exactly the same. I must assume that these products are the same and are made by the same company and are knock offs of another product.

VOTE MANIPULATION: There is a serious problem with the Bitoni product in terms of reviewer vote manipulation. Unfavorable or critical reviews of this product are down-voted relentlessly, thereby relegating them to a less viewable place in the review hierarchy. It is not clear who is responsible for this, but it happens frequently enough with this product, in conjunction with its other shortcomings, to cause me to downgrade it to one star.

OPINION: Since all of the products performed equally well in terms of the purpose for which they are sold, i.e., slicing vegetables, I think the important considerations are company transparency and integrity, price, warranty, customer support, and color.

RATING:

I rated the Brieftons Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer five stars because the company has good customer service, it is reasonably priced, and it has a lifetime replacement warranty.

I rated the Crafty KitchenTri Blade Vegetable Slicer five stars because the company has good customer service, it is reasonably priced, and it has a lifetime replacement warranty.

I rated the Kitchen Basics Tri-Blade Turning Spiral Slicer five stars because it is inexpensive and it has a lifetime replacement warranty.

I rated the Chef's Star Spiral Slicer four stars because it is inexpensive and it has no warranty.

I rated the New and Essential four stars because it is inexpensive and it has no warranty.

I rated the Abco Tech New and Essential Tri Blade Vegetable Slicer three stars because it is reasonably priced, it came with a missing part, and it has a one year warranty.

I rated the Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer four stars because it is inexpensive and it has no warranty.

I rated the Jumbl Vegetable and Fruit Spiral Slicer Tri-Blade four stars because it is reasonably priced and it has a one year warranty.

I rated the Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Spiral Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer three stars because it does not have an extended platform, it is expensive and over-priced, with big price fluctuations on Amazon (between $22.99 and $36.00), and it has a one year warranty.

I rated the Bitoni Spiralizer Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer one star because the company uses deceptive advertising (it is not 30% sturdier than the competition, as it has claimed, and it is not the "Strongest-and-Heaviest Duty Guarantee Over Paderno and Others," as it has claimed), its customer support was not reliable, it is normally expensive and over-priced, with big price fluctuations on Amazon, it engages in vote manipulation, and it has a lifetime replacement warranty.

Prices current as of 11/23/2014.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, May 17, 2013
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
Slicer was broken when received. There was a small piece of plastic that fell out of the box when I opened it. It took a while, but I found that it had broken off one leg near the suction cup. The leg was cracked also. This slicer appears to be very poor quality, but I decided to order another one and return this on. Guess what? When I opened the box one suction cup fell along with a broken chunk of plastic. This is a poor quality item. More like a dollar store thing than a $23 slicer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Kitchen Gadget, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
This is a well constructed kitchen slicer with three slicer blades. It's easy to use and very easy to clean. The turning handle has an easy motion and I have used it on potatoes so far with no complaint. I did have issues with the suction cups not sticking but it was easy to hold down and operate that way.
I received the product gratis for an honest review

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty Good Slicer for Your Kitchen Veggies, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
I am the one who normally cooks all the meals in my household. I am always looking for items that will make my task easier. And I think I may have found something that is truly versatile and fun to use. It is the Epic Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer. When this first arrived, I was amazed at how big it was an all the different attachments. It has nice suction cups to keep it in place, and the three blades are interchangeable. I will tell you that these blades are very tight and hard to get out in the beginning. The two blades that you are not using can easily be stored below the top part of the slicer. The three blades are as follows:

1/8" strips
1/4" strips
flat ribbons

I will be honest--I have only used one of these because I find that it works well with onions. I used the 1/4" strips attachment. I was making French Dip sandwiches, and we love to saute onion strips. I used to have to cut these by hand, and I could never cut the strips in any uniform pattern. With this vegetable slicer, I only had to cut the onion in half, put it on the slicer (I wish there were some more instructions with this slicer--I did struggle to learn how to use it), and then turn the handle. Out came the strips. I cooked them up, they were really good.

Next I tried them on potatoes. I don't remember which attachment I used--it is kind of a trial and error type thing--but I was very pleased with these potatoes. Nice and uniform and really good!

If you are looking for something to help you cut uniform vegetables (and more, I'm sure), you must check out this vegetable slicer. It is easy to use, and I think you will be pleased with the result. In fact, if you have a procrastinating husband or boyfriend, tell him you want this. Give him the link from above, and it can still arrive in time for Christmas!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
My daughter uses a similar product to make zucchini spaghetti. This one is poorly made and difficult to use.
I thought they'd all be about the same, but when my daughter visited, she told me that mine is not made well and doesn't work properly

Epica Manual Multi-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer