Published on December 8, 2011 by audd

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Didn't Last Long
Published on March 18, 2012 by David W. Barsness

5.0 out of 5 stars wow! amazing! don't hesitate to buy this product we have a brand new dog, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Epica Remote Dog Training Collar Shock and Vibration for 2 Dogs, Provides Safe but Annoying Static Stimulation- Ability to Shock or Vibrate Each Dog Separately (Misc.)
I wondered if these reviews were real or hype. But I read one review in particular and i went ahead and bought it. We have a retriever chow rescue who is a great dog and wants to please.But with 7 acres and deer and hunters an electric fence was out of the question.So was the questionable 300.00 perimeter machine.We want him to have his freedom while we're with him. collar arrived in 2 days.charged it in 2 hours and put it on next day. out in the yard for a walk around the property, just as the review i read said, the vibration alone got his attention.I have to add my husband was brave enough to try the LOW SHOCK and it was super powerful I wouldn't try it after his reaction and we then said we'd never shock him on high.Walking near the back field he took off (he always comes back (WHEN HE'S READY BEING THE PROBLEM),but remember he's a retriever)the low shock caused him to yelp and head back towards us following the COME command, but he spotted a deer and off he went, High shock was the only answer. My husband tried vibrate 1st,low shock 2nd then high...it wasn't pleasant but he came right back yelping. The end folks, that's all it took just 1 day. 10 days later and the command "come"from the very next day is all he needs to hear. We love freely playing with him outdoors and he just knows how far he can go within sight distance of us. We have a safe happy dog.Admittedly for the next couple days he was glued to our sides, we wondered if he'd been ruined, but he got over it. I may never, but thank God my husband was brave enough to use it. We love this collar. A very satisfied customer.btw he's two and we were pleasantly and remarkably surprised at the range this nice size remote provided us with. It's been 10 months and we HAVE had some troubles with our receivers , reset button fell away inside of one, it was PROMPTLY REPLACED! 2 tracking ends broke PROMPTLY REPLACED! shaking needed for receivers at times Replaced just can't say enough about Brian customer service rep.excellent customer service. We still love our Epica's because they work. Our dogs KNOW when they are NOT wearing them , but just SEE the controller in my hand for minor infractions , table thievery and such and back right off . This concept is great the product may need further reinforcement for durability. We remain loyal customers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective training aid, April 19, 2012
Steven J. Smith (Salt Lake City, Utah) - See all my reviews
This training collar set is extremely effective when used properly. It comes with two collars so it can be used on two dogs, and the remote has seperate buttons for each collar. I found it most effective when I let one collar charge while my miniature Schnauser wears the other collar. Battery life is good, with a charge lasting about 2 days. When your dog is resting, the collar turns off. It is activated again by movement. This saves considerable battery life.

The range is very good; I have a 2 acre yard and the signal reaches all the way to the back fence. I haven't had a need to try it over longer distances. I really like that there are different levels of deterrent built in. The lowest level is an annoying vibration similar to when your cell phone is set to vibrate only stronger. It is not at all painful to the dog. The next level is a single shock, and the last level is a 3-shock burst.

If this collar is not used properly, it will not be effective and in fact it could harm your training efforts more than it helps them. It is always better to use treats and praise as positive reinforcement to train your dog, but some stubborn animals can benefit from a deterrent like this one.

All dogs have an innate desire to please their master. That makes them really easy to train; the tough part is communicating with your dog. You have to make your dog understand when he's done something good and also when he's been naughty. It is very important to mark in your dog's mind the exact moment that he does something you don't like. That is where this collar excells. The exact moment that your dog performs a bad behaviour, you buzz the collar. The vibration against his neck immediately associates his behavior with an unpleasant experience. It may take a few experiences to cement the association in their mind, but very quickly your dog will learn what not to do. This can be chewing on something they shouldn't be, going potty in the house, barking, running out the gate, or any other bad behaviour.

If your dog learns to ignore the vibration, you can use the shock. I only use the shock when my dog is doing something that could be dangerous like running out of the yard or barking at other dogs. Even if your dog ignores the vibration, he still 'learns' that he's being bad, and as he matures he'll be much less likely to repeat the bad behavior. Like children, dogs sometimes are naughty even when they know better. If you do have to use the shock, always use the vibration first. This teaches the dog that the vibration is a warning and if he doesn't heed the warning he'll get shocked.

In actual practice this works very well. My neighbors both have dogs of their own and my 5-month-old Schnauser will run to the fence and bark at them, and they bark back and try to get at each other through the fence. I also have a chicken coop and my dog loves to bother the chickens. Anytime he runs towards them, I'll wait until he's almost there and then hit the buzzer. He will notice right away and it usually stops him in his tracks. When he's really excited he will try to ignore the vibration so I will use the shock. Without fail, every time I've shocked him he immediately comes running to me for comfort, and I am sure to give him a treat and lots of praise. When used properly, your dog associates the shock with his behaviour, not with you. You don't ever want your dog to realize that YOU are the one causing the shock.

A couple of important things to remember are that you need to hide the remote from your dog, or he'll learn that he only gets disciplined when you're holding it, so he will be good only when you're holding it. Also, I would suggest having your dog wear one collar while you charge the other, so that he's always got a charged collar on. If you take the collar off to charge, your dog can learn that he's only disciplined when wearing the collar. You don't want to make this collar training a permanent thing, so it's very important that your dog doesn't learn to associate the buzzing or shock with the shock collar. Finally, as with all training, it is important that you watch your dog constantly. If he's doing a naughty behaviour out of sight and you don't buzz the collar, he'll learn that he can be naughty as long as you're not watching.

To sum it all up, this is a well-made, quality product that will greatly help your training efforts as long as you apply consistant and effective training techniques. This is not a miracle training tool; you still have to put in the effort to train your dog and be a responsible pet owner.

EDIT:

It's been over a year since my original review, and my 5-star opinion stands. I used this collar on my dog for about 3 months, after which I had a well behaved dog and no longer needed the shock deterrent. I gave the collar to my sister in law and she uses it with her two big labs, so far it's held up well, still works fine and is effective even with much bigger dogs than my schnauzer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily Jones, August 25, 2011
I bought the Epica dog training collar for our two German shepperds. They are quite heady at times and bark at our neighbors. I started with the vibrating option which they promptly ignored. Next I used the first level of shock.
That did the trick. Now I rarely need to use the shock . With just the vibrate they immediately become obedient.
My friend has used a more expensive model , however the Epica seems to work as well and at times better than pricier options.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Didn't Last Long, March 18, 2012
We put these on our two german shepherds and they wore them in the house or on walks so they could be off leash. The product worked well. However, one unit stopped working within a few days and had to be replaced (which the company did with no hassles). Now the other unit has stopped working. It was charged and fine in the morning and now it is dead after 2.5 months use. Our dogs only wore these for a few hours a day - and not while roughhousing. We are disappointed that these units don't seem to last with mild usage. They are too expensive to replace every 3 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great if used properly!, May 22, 2012
I have a dog who is just starting to reach adolescence. I clicker trained him from the day we got him and he learned all the basic commands such as come, sit, stay, down, be quiet, etc. However, as he got older, he got more and more bold and began outright ignoring commands he had learned before. Positive reinforcement became less and less effective or even possible as he entered his "rebellious" phase, so I bought this as a last resort and it has worked wonders. The vibration alone got his attention, but after the novelty of it wore off he began ignoring his commands again. One press of the "low" button on the remote corrected him immediately, and now he responds to simple vibration every time, which is incredibly humane and more effective than I could have hoped for. His recall has improved tremendously in only a day, and I imagine I will be able to stop his digging in the yard and occasional nuisance barking in a similarly short time frame.

The low stimulation setting is fairly powerful, I tried it on myself and it was quite uncomfortable but not painful. The units come with rubber tips to help create a buffer between the dog's skin and the actual metal contacts that deliver the stimulation, which is nice. The high setting of stimulation is pretty much the same as the low setting, only it is delivered three times in succession, and so I find it is better to just use the low setting if necessary, as it affords more control anyway. I feel that the high setting is more over-correction than anything else, and so I will probably never use it. As I said, the lowest stimulation quickly got his attention, and now, only a small vibration is necessary (if any at all!)

The remote comes with an antenna that you can screw on and it affords a very nice range. The unit fit nicely over the collar my dog already had on, but the set comes with two collars for you to use if it does not for whatever reason. These collars do not have D-rings and seem fairly cheaply made, but will do the trick in addition to a regular collar if necessary. I have only one dog, so I charge one unit while using the other. I really like that they can be charged using a computer's USB ports or a wall charger; it's nice to have options!

It is important that this collar be used properly. A dog only forms a negative or positive association with a behavior for about a second after that behavior is performed, so correcting a dog too late may confuse or startle him unnecessarily. In addition, the collar should not be used as a threat. Showing the dog the remote and threatening stimulation will only make the dog "collar-wise" and realize that he can get up to no good as long as you are not around to control the stimulation. It is better that he does not know where it is coming from, and that the unit be worn for a while while he does POSITIVE things so that he does not associate the collar with sudden negative reinforcement that was not there before. Dogs need to be told when they are doing right as well as when they are doing wrong, so please do the research before using this collar and, if you do not think you will be able to use it properly yourself, find a trainer in your area to help you.

Some people may be hestiant to try this collar because of the stigma that comes with "shocking" a dog, but the stimulation is much more annoying than harmful. It can startle a dog who is not used to it, but eventually it becomes a very powerful training tool if used the right way. In my opinion, it is worth it to me to ensure my dog's safety. This collar is helping me train him not to dig under the fence and escape the yard, not to chase wild animals or cars, and not to engage in other tempting but potentially dangerous behaviors. If something DOES happen and he does get out, I know he will come when called at my first command. And if he doesn't, a quick vibration reminds him that I want his attention.

I have not used this product for very long but I am very pleased with its results so far. For the price, you really can't go wrong buying this, as long as you are willing to put in the effort. It is a training tool, not a magic fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product with a few tweaks, December 17, 2012
Application:
Cowboy, our 60lb mixed breed outside dog who has an uncontrollable urge to chase car/truck tires. All previous attempts to modify behavior with food, praise, yelling, a leash and dog whispering had failed. With 6 acres, an invisible fence was not the best choice. This dog has an affection for pond water and enjoys a fully submerged dip(head and all) up to 10 times a day when it's hot outside.

Product:
As noted, this product comes with two rechargeable collars. Charging lasts 3 to 5 days and the collar conserves battery life by powering down after a period of inactivity by a sleeping/resting K-9. The motion detector works well and immediately powers back on with movement. Two collars made having an active unit easy to manage. The transmitter has right and left buttons to control the collars independently with a shared vibration button in the middle that operates both collars simultaneously. Out of the box, you will need to use pliers or a wrench to tighten up the metal contacts on the collar. Each collar had one contact come off, but fortunately we were able to locate these in the front yard and re-attach. I would also use a small dab of glue or silicone to further secure the rubber covers over the metal contact points. I believe you can operate with or without, but imagine the addition of the rubber contacts provides less shock to mans best buddy. It is important to note that the placement of the rubber flap that seals the charging port is crucial. It's not that hard to accomplish, but can easily be pushed in place incorrectly resulting in debris or water in the charging port. This happened a couple of times, but did not impact the function.
Results:
The first truck Cowboy chased was corrected with the vibrate button, then the low shock followed by the high shock. The low shock got his attention, the high shock stopped him in his tracks. These corrections were synchronized with verbal commands to "Come". Over the past four months, Cowboy has required 5 additional corrections. One high shock for a particularly evil truck tire, one low shock for a "run of the mill" car tire and 3 vibrations for a horse, 4 wheeler and school bus respectively. For the most part, the verbal command is all that is required to get the desired recall. Cowboy is now content to stay in the yard and intensely stare down his previous foes from the comfort of the front yard. The back portion of our property allows Cowboy access to an additional 20+ acres. I have used the vibrate button to call him when he is out of site. I have not tested the range of the collars, but he normally responds to the vibrate at a dead on run.

In summary, Cowboys 20+ car a day habit is almost completely cured. Cowboy is happier/safer, concerned drivers no longer have to hit the brakes in fear of hitting him and I no longer have to go outside and pointlessly yell at a dog following some kind of inherent desire to catch and eat a tire.

I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 11, 2011
We have owned more expensive collars in the past. We use them to keep our dogs in our lawn while they are outside. These collars worked right away and the dogs respond to them quickly. The collars are different colors and the remote is simple and easy to use. I would highly recommend these collars to anyone. They work everybit as well as the highter priced ones. We paid 1/5 of what we have on other collars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, February 3, 2012
I purchased this item to help train a deaf puppy as this was one of the few collars that has vibration. I wanted to get his attention without harsh reprimand. The problem I had that was not explained with a description of operation was that the collar vibrates or shocks three times in succession when activated. If the dog corrects itself or looks to you at the first vibration it still activates two more times, this confuses the dog and tends to make him disregard all signals as erroneous. The activation has to be momentary and stops when dog corrects itself and button is released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Training Aid, September 15, 2011
I am so glad I found this on Amazon. We have two young rottweilers who can be real terrors. They bark ,pull and jump on people. After countless trips to the vet and obedience classes, I was ready to try anything. These training collars are amazing. I love that you can buzz them first without zapping. Today all they need is a warning and they behave. The dogs have freedom but they know the boundaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't Believe It, March 30, 2012
I purchased these training collars based on the many positive reviews I read. If you have never used this type of training tool, try them. I only use the vibration settig for my Austrailian Sheperd and my German Sheperd. The Aussie is a barker and drives us crazy. With the combination of commands and vibration, he completely stopped the endless barking. The big German Sheperd (Randy) liked to run. The same training session worked wonders for him too. I am so pleased.
If you have problems with your four legged friends, you will be amazed with the results of this product.

Rate and Discover Movies