Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on November 15, 2011
As a bartender, I'm always on the look out for interesting items related to liquor that could potentially be conversation pieces. I came across these whisky stones by this same company on another website and I purchased a set.

These stones do get cold, but are not meant to radiate cold and chill whisky. If you prefer your whisky very cold, then you should stop drinking whisky and switch to soda.

I tried the stones, about 3 of them (after 3 days in the freezer) in about half an inch of American whisky (room temperature, which in Texas is like 72º) and to my surprise, the stones did cool it (not a lot) and made my whisky more flavorful. The next night, I tried them again with a different whisky, a French variety that I had brought back from Brittany (which is close to the Celtic region) Same set-up, 3 stones/.5 inch of whisky, and again the whisky was cool and then all these other flavors started to come out.

The stones work and I recommend that you do the research. If you are a serious whisky drinker, find out what the room temperature of your favorite whisky is and keep it at that. The stones are only meant to slightly cool and open aromas/flavors of your choice of whisky so that you may enjoy it the way that it is meant to be enjoyed.
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
So if you are looking at these whiskey stones, you are probably like me. Putting water in your whiskey, ice or otherwise, is a sin and should be illegal. I don't want to hear "It takes the edge off!" No, its not right and shame on you!

So onto the review. I ordered these whiskey stones because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. The idea of being able to open the bouquet of any whiskey seemed appealing. For the price, why not. I didn't by these to cool my whiskey, they are not meant to do that. They will give you that nice little chill against your lips as you drink tough, and I have found that to be a pleasant experience.

Quality wise, these stones are damn good. They retain cold extremely well and do not impart any flavors to the whiskey.

So do they work? Depends on the whiskey for me. For my first experiment, I used Bulleit Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (great whiskey by the way, comes highly rated). The stones didn't really do much for me. I didn't notice to many differences between stones and drinking it normally. Then I tried a rye whiskey, blown away. The rye took center stage with the use of the whiskey stones. Really opened up the whiskey.

So am I a user of whiskey stones? Yes. Will they have dramatic effects to every liquor you pair them with? Maybe. Still worth it though for those instances where it does.
on June 9, 2015
These rocks (and probably chilling rocks in general) are so-so. Their specific heat is not very high and even after putting them into the freezer at -20C, they do not cool drinks very effectively. I prefer my block of ice that gives 335 kJ/kg, even if it does dilute the drink a bit.
on January 6, 2016
The packaging is nice (the box has a little magnetic closure and everything), and exactly as shown here. There are indeed 9 of the stones, along with a little bag. However, the description saying that each stone is 2" is wildly inaccurate. Even the box itself states, "Each rock measures 2 x 2 x 2 inches." Except each rock actually doesn't. What it REALLY measures is 2 x 2 x 2 centimeters, so yeah, that's about 3/4 inch. Think of a standard pair of dice -- these stones are only slightly larger. Very disappointed, but I think the centimeter/inch thing was probably an honest mistake ("made in China"). I'm sure they'll do their job just fine, but I was disappointed at the wee size of the cubes.
on January 7, 2013
Maybe I failed the moron test here but the description is misleading. it says that these stones are 2x2x2. That sounds like they are 2 inches high when put in a glass right? Wrong they have 6 sides maybe 1 inch high. I think most would agree when they see them that they are smaller than expected.

As for the chilling factor i was not too impressed. It didnt seem to do that much. Given i'm not a scotch man so i'm no expert in judging at what temperature you should drink it.

I got these as a gift for someone. I would not get them again.

PS "beautifully handcrafted" in China.
on January 12, 2015
Got these as gifts for my bourbon / whiskey drinking husband. He was a bit blah about it. Says sometimes he likes regular ice coz he kinda likes a little water melting into his whiskey. Fair enough. Also, these stones don't really chill whiskey in the same way as ice do. Ice is colder and chills instantly. These stones chills a lot less so you have to use quite a few stones to get the same chill level as ice. One of the good things about these stones though is when you have very high quality whiskey / bourbon that you really want to appreciate its' flavour and not dilute it with water in anyway. They are easy to wash. Just rinse them in warm water, dry, and put them back in the freezer.
on March 14, 2016
These are the only whisky stones I've ever owned so I have little to compare them to. They get cold and keep my drink cold- what more can you ask for? I personally think I'd like a container that's not a cloth bag. It's nit picky, but that's what reviews are for right?
on February 25, 2016
Fun to play with, but never got super cold even though we left them in the freezer for days. They were a stocking suffer for Christmas, we enjoyed them but not practical. Now they just sit in the freezer until we re-gift or throw out.
on October 23, 2013
I keep them in a ziplock baggy in the freezer. I take out three, put them in glass, and pour bourbon right to the top of the rocks. They add a nice chill, without watering down the bourbon. When I am done, I rinse them off, let them dry, and put them back in the baggy in the freezer.
on May 17, 2014
I had never used whiskey stones before so I thought I'd try these out.

Packaging is excellent, these would be great to give as a gift. The included bag for storage is also nice for keeping them all together in the freezer. These are not a replacement for ice, they do not cool your drink as much and they don't water it down at all so I wouldn't use for drinking stronger drinks or for a large drink. They do look pretty classy and adding 3 to an after dinner drink works perfectly. The stones are smooth and rounded at the edges so they don't scrape the glass.