Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now

Color: Natural|Size: 11.5-Inch by 9-Inch|Change

on January 30, 2007
At first I thought this cutting board was a bit pricey. I've paid less for wood, plastic, and bamboo boards that were larger. That being said, this is the only board I've owned that has been worth the money I spent on it. It has held up remarkably well to hard use/abuse in my kitchen. I use it multiple times daily, and while it's starting to show a little wear (I've had it for around 6 months), it's far from needing to be replaced. It has far fewer gouges/scratches than a bamboo or wood board easily 1/10th its age, which means it's far less of a bio-hazard. You can also put it in the dishwasher, which is a plus (though I use it so often that I rarely wash it in the dishwasher). I also like the slate color... that way it won't be stained by curries and other such items that eventually left my white plastic cutting board looking like someone did something unpleasant on it.
on November 23, 2007
I purchased the black epicurean cutting board 4 months ago. Originally we were very pleased with it. Easy to clean, no odors however over the last few weeks we have found that the black coating is peeeling and you can find traces of it in the food. Example, black specks in the chopped garlic. I believe this a serious concern. I do not recommend this board to anyone.
44 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2008
I also have black bits coming off of my board onto my food. I have had the board a couple years and put it in the dishwasher. I have since started hand washing it. I know that cutting boards need to be replaced over time, but I feel this product fell apart too easily.
22 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2005
Quite simply, this is the best cutting board I've ever owned. It's lightweight but very sturdy, it doesn't dull my knives, it's resistant to bacteria, and it's DISHWASHER friendly - the board fits into the bottom rack of my dishwasher without a problem. Try doing that with an old wooden board! The Epicurean is also really good looking, even after months and months of hard use, and has a pleasant feel as well, not rough and scored like wood or plastic can get. I don't think I could ask for more from a board (unless it could wash itself, but that's just wishful thinking...).
on January 18, 2012
I have been a chef for 15 years, and this board is the best I have ever owned.
It is practically self healing with regards to cuts and slices in its body, and it has been stain resistant so far, unlike white NSF plastic boards which have to be periodically bleached to remove stains.
I have purchased them in different sizes for home use and have given them to friends as gifts.
They are also gentle on knife edges, not dulling them the way you would think a product this hard would.
Once or twice, if I scrape very hard across he surface with the blade of my chef knife, I have noticed tiny little shavings, but that was with great force. Just don't do that, which I don't do anymore.
on April 7, 2007
I bought this board at my Whole Foods store for many of the advertised reasons. It is easy to clean, nice to cut on, nice for presentation, etc. My problem with this board (I've had it for 6 months now) is that it transfers a strange chemical flavor to hot foods. It has ruined an entire pizza, loaves of bread and toast I was buttering. I've followed the break-in procedure (hot washing). I just think it stinks, literally. I will only use this to catch crumbs on my counter -I won't put foods on it anymore.
1212 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2012
First let me say I like the design and the cutting surface of this board. And I like the whole recycle ethic. It probably got used more than any of the other dozen boards in my kitchen. But trying to pick black specs out of my onions gets old real fast.

I have boards over 30 years old that don't shed wood or polyethylene. This is clearly a product with a limited lifetime. When I contacted Epicurean about the problem their solution was just to sand the board down to a level where it doesn't shed black particles. How may months does that buy me before I have to sand it again?

The real problem here is that the board is not dishwasher safe. It's breaking down because was not designed to withstand the active ingredients in the detergents. This is not what I paid for.
on July 16, 2010
I loved this board at the beginning, but over time, it began to wear down and I also started to find pieces of it in my cut vegetables. I thought it looked like specks of pepper, but then I did a big chopping job and discovered it was actually the board falling apart as I cut into it. I brought this up at the local cooking store and others had seen this as well. I would not recommend using this board.
on September 18, 2011
I have had one of the Epicurean boards for many years. Finally dawned on me that this is the one I always grab to do the chopping. So, I bit the bullet (they are not cheapies) and bought one in three sizes and ditched all the others. Actually, I used a couple of the old white ones under a sink to protect the sink floor from damage. So - yes, love 'em, will always use 'em, recommend 'em highly. The color will fade but it doesn't seem to affect the performance. I've got one black one and have learned that I prefer the nutmeg color when they "mature".
on March 2, 2011
Honestly, this is a great board for cutting.

Unfortunately, I also have a sense of smell and a sense of taste.

The board reeks of chemicals when washed... hand-washed.

Also, if you leave something on the board for more than a minute or so and the board is wet (for instance, cutting onions, fruit, or anything that leaves a liquid), the food tastes like the cutting board smells.

Make sense?

I won't buy this again. There are other cutting boards out there that don't have this issue.