Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

• Customer Reviews

on July 1, 2011
Years ago, I had an earlier version of an epilator, which i used with trepidation. It worked, but you had to go over and over the same area to get all the hairs. (And I am not at all hairy) It also pinched/pulled quite a lot.

About 5 years ago, I received one from a friend who was too timid and anxious to use hers. It was better, by far, but still tended to snag your skin and hurt when it grabbed and yanked out your hair. Underarms were especially risky.

I received this Epilady EP-810-33A several days ago, and am so glad I took the plunge! It does a great job, and doesn't hurt!
I am silky smooth from head to toe, and am very pleased. It is so far improved from the earlier prototypes, it should have a different name.

If you hate shaving, or, like me, need your glasses to see what you're doing (which makes shaving in the shower impractical), this is your salvation. There is a learning curve, for novices, but it's simple, and no stubble under your arms.

Buy this!

Update: OK, it's 10 months later, I gave this little appliance a "rest" during the cold months of long sleeves and jeans.I used it occasionally on my upper lip, but that's all.When I charged it up for some serious spring cleaning, it no longer holds a charge!! If I want to use it, I have to be plugged in...I guess the honeymoon is over :(
1313 comments| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2014
I am a real user of this product and this is a legitimate review. Some of these reviews seem to be professional writers that are maybe hired to leave reviews. I've been using this Epilady for over 3 weeks now. It's my first time using an Epilady. I have used this on my face, my arms, my arm pits, my legs and my bikini area. I think this product works better in some areas over others and that's why I rated it 3 stars. I'll start with the face. I usually bleach the hair on my face but started to worry that that was leaving a mustache stain so I thought I'd try an Epilady. I think it works the worst on the face because the hairs on the face or the finest and hardest for those little tweezers to grab. But it does work, it just takes a little time to remove the hair and you will likely still have to do some light plucking with tweezers for those hairs that this just won't remove. You have to be careful on the face though because you will want to press down to get those hard to get hairs but you can not press down with this but only run it very lightly over your face. If you press down it will remove a light layer of your skin and you will be left with red patches that will take a few days to heal and go away. I had some red patches where this removed a thin layer of my skin that was embarrassing for a few days. The pain level is not that bad on the face again because the facial hairs are so fine. Over all I am more satisfied with the Epilady over bleaching my face so I will continue to use the Epilady on my face.

The armpits are by far the most difficult to do with this product. It's an awkward place and you can't pull the skin tight which you need to do and it's difficult to move the Epilady in small circles. One of the cons for this Epilady is you can't use it like a regular razor. You don't just swipe up and the hair is removed. You have to do little circles and many little circles in the same area before it removes the hair. For the arm pit and the face I usually have to do it every day for a few days before I can remove all the hair. It did leave a little bit of a bumpy rash under my arms and it's not smooth and silk under the arms like it is on the face. The pain level is not too bad under the arms. A little worst than the face but not the most painful spot on the body.

The arms were easier then the face and arm pits because it's just a smooth straight surface so it does better on the arms. It is a little more painful then the face because the hair is thicker. It does very well on the arms and is easier to use on the arms except in areas you can't see like the back of the upper arms. You have to be able to see what you are doing to see if you've removed all the hair.

For the legs this product probably works the best on because the hair is thickest on the legs. It works best and is easiest on the legs but it's also the most painful on the legs - because the hair is thick on the legs. It is the MOST painful around the knees. It was so painful around the knees it gives me a pit of a stomach ache when I do that area. It does remove the hair very well on the legs if you can just power through the pain.

The bikini area - yikes - I didn't have the nerve to use this the first go around on the bikini area plus I was worn out after doing the face, arm pits, arms and legs. The pain is not nearly has bad as I expected for the bikini area and it does work well on the bikini area but proceed with caution. It's easy to grab hairs you don't want to remove so you have to be very careful. You must pull the skin tight here because this Epilady can pinch that area and cut and remove chunks of skin. The second time I did my bikini area it pinched me and removed a small chunk of skin. That was it for me and I couldn't go on anymore after that - in that area. It really freaked me out.

The first time you use this your skin is silky smooth but after the first time you won't really have silky smooth skin anymore because the hair begins to grow back at different rates in different areas so while you may be able to remove all the hair that is long enough to remove there will be some just below the surface that will poke out the next day and those you wouldn't get. The biggest con is you need to do this at least once a week if not more depending on how picky you are about removing every last hair. Going 4 to 6 weeks between using this doesn't seem at all realistic to me. I have to do this once a week every where. However all the hairs don't come back at the same time like it would with a razor but enough hair grows back in by the end of the week that it's noticeable and needs to be removed. It took me about 3 hours the first time I did this to remove all the hair and that was the most painful because there was so much hair to remove. The second time it was less painful because there was less hair to remove because all the hair doesn't come back in at once. It took me about 2 hours to remove all the hair the second time around. The third time I was getting used to the pain but it's still painful. It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to remove all the hair the 3rd time around. I don't know if I will continue to use this for all areas on my body. It's time consuming and it gets hard to bring myself to deal with the time and the pain involved. I think I will definitely continue to use this on my face rather than bleaching my face. I will probably also continue to use this on my arms because that hair grows back in so fast with a razor. I don't know if I will continue using this on my arm pits, legs and bikini area though. Since this hair comes back in within a week I don't know that the pain and the time involved is worth it to continue using it in those areas. It's faster to just shave and a lot less painful. I will use this all over for longer because my hope is if I continue to use this that the hair will stop growing in but I suspect if I were to stop using this all together all the hair would eventually come back in. :-( If you're thinking about this I think it's worth a try - given the fact that the price is reasonable - and see how it works for you. It's one of those products that some people may end up loving while others will hate. You just won't know until you give it a try. I'm glad I gave it a try.
on July 25, 2006
I got tired of shaving, so I switched to waxing a year ago in hopes that my hair would quit growing eventually. My hair has grown back finer, but I still had hairy legs most of the time because waxing never removed all of the hair before my skin gave out, or the hair would grow back at different rates. So I decided to give an epilator a try. I had bought one back in the 80's and it was a medieval torture device. This new Epilady is great. It is far less painful than waxing. I just feel a slight prick rather than a giant skin pull. It is no worse than plucking an eyebrow hair. The charge lasts a long time. I recently took it on a ten-day trip and it never ran out. Next time I won't even take the cord. And the unit isn't very heavy, so it packs well. I am using it about once a week, and I actually enjoy the process somewhat. You do have to be careful to stretch the skin taut in the underarm area. I nicked myself one day on the soft skin there, but no problems on the legs. I also have to make a few passes at some hairs to get them to stand up and catch, but it hasn't been a huge problem. I also like how I can do quick touch-ups on my way out the door if necessary. I couldn't do that with wax. Overall, worth the money and time.
99 comments| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2013
I've been using the Epilady over the course of the last several days trying to pick up on the learning curve of this thing. I've only ever shaved before (I'm 31 years old so I've been shaving for about 15 years.) The first thing I noticed was that it had a slight pinch to it as it picked up the hairs. On a pain scale, from 1 being sitting in a cozy room drinking hot chocolate by a fire, and childbirth without epidural being a 10, I'd have to put this at about a 2 or 3. Not something I'd like to do every day, but if the hair stays away for 5 or 6 weeks likes it claims, it shouldn't be too awful.

There's a few things I've picked up on that made it easier to use:
- Holding it at about an 80 degree angle to your leg, with the power button being slightly closer to your leg.
- I also hold this with the power button facing away from me and it seemed less painful
- work in small circles. One leg took me about 15 minutes.
- USE AFTER A SHOWER... I can't stress this enough.
- Do not use the week of your period. Seriously. Your skin is overall much MUCH more sensitive during this week and I'm sure a lot of the reviews that peg this as a torture device probably used it during that week. (Or right before.) Sorry if that part is a little TMI but I thought it really needed to be mentioned.

So far I'm very happy with this purchase even though I'm still getting the hang of it. I have a lot of thick brunette hair, so it's taken me a few days to get it all since I've never done anything like this before. But it's made my legs and underarms very smooth.

Also, several companies sell pads similar to acne pads that will help prevent ingrown hairs. I'm planning on using these in a few days since I have exceptionally thick hair.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2011
When epilators came on the market, I jumped on the bandwagon. Au! It hurt! I couldn't complete even one leg. And I tried. I tried and ended up throwing the darn torture instrument around the room.

Come the newest version of the Epilady. A friend of mine recommended it, and with great trepidation I got this one. When it arrived, I plugged it in, and instantly started it on my arm. To my surprise it didn't hurt much at all! The cat came and investigated the noise, and was as interested as me. I bet she wouldn't want to feel it, though!

Anyway, a couple of days later, I decided to try it UNDER my arm. I expected to not be able to do it, but to my surprise, it wasn't that bad. So I continued, and got rid of the hair under my arms, as well as the bikini-line. Yes, it isn't completely painless, but it is not that bad. It's more like an irritant than pain.

I am very happy with my purchase. I recommend this whole heartedly.
11 comment| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2014
I looked this thing up to post as a joke when a guy friend recently asked for recommedations on a good electric razor for his face. Then I started reading the reviews, because I was curious. Weren't Epiladies torture devices from the stone age?! But real women were still using them! Now I'm one of them. =-) Does it hurt when you tweeze hairs out? Yup. As much as when you also rip off the top layer of your skin with the hair? Nope. The "pain" isn't nearly as bad as your imagination. It takes a few minutes to get the hang of it, but @#$! is it worth it! The hair takes as long to grow back as with waxing and will thin over time with repeated uses. I just did both arms and both lower legs in less than 30 minutes. I don't think I'll ever shave again. This is less painful than waxing- more along the line of irritating-and there is no sticky mess or anything to heat and reheat. And unlike shaving, the cold bathroom air won't immediately make your legs feel spiky,plus you don't have to repeat this nearly as often. Tips: Use it right after a shower or bath, when your skin is warm and your pores and follicles opened up, just make sure your skin is dry. Don't use any lotion before and wait at least 1 hour afterwards. USE the angle positioning guard thingie that comes with it until you have the hang of the way to hold it. DON'T press it hard against your skin, as though you were shaving. Just skim over your skin with light pressure. If the hair isn't coming up in one spot, it may be growing at an odd angle, so just try making small circles in opposing directions until you get it. When you first start trying to do this, you will probably need 2 sessions to get all the hair. It's no big deal. If you are scared of the pain,don't be, seriously, but you can take 2-3 ibuprofen at least 30 minutes before you start. Tumeric and/or ginger supplements are also beneficial. What helps most though is 1-2 alcoholic beverages a few minutes ahead of time...like you need an excuse! I will probably buy another one just in case this one ever dies; if not, I would purchase another one without a second thought if this did stop working. I just regret that I did not think to try this sooner! Trust me, this is the best option other than laser hair removal, but so much cheaper!
on August 6, 2006
This is the second "epliator" I've purchased, so I am in no way an expert. But I am certainly qualified to compare the epilady to my now-dead braun epilator.

First point: I think the braun epilator did a better job of removing hairs. the epilady one has more tweezers, but apparently that doesn't make it better. i find that i'm going over the same hair pathches way more than i had to with the braun. but i've got persistent little buggers, so this might not be an issue for many of you.

Second point: the epilady seems to jam. The wheel just stops spinning and the device makes a high-pitched squeel. it actually happens a few times per session, and becomes pretty annoying. that jamming problem never occurred with the braun model. (my theory is that it's happening because i'm pressing so hard against my skin, which i feel i have to do so that the darn thing gets the hairs.)

Point 3: the plus side of the epilady is that it doesn't seem to pinch the skin (which it's had many opportunities to do by now since i'm pressing it so hard against my skin). My braun version definitely got me good a few times. this can be scary, particularly when your venturing into your unmentionable areas with it).

Point 4: the other nice thing about the epilady is that it doesn't hurt as much, i don't know why.

Point 5: i should mention, my old model only died because i thought i could plug it into a wall in france with an adaptor. big no-no. it smoked and died. that would not have happened if it could operate without its cord, like the epilady version, so that's a plus for the epilady.

Point 6: the epilady seems to leave my skin less red afterwards. With the braun, i'd have to wait at least a half a day before I could expose my pits to the world because they were pretty red. with the epilady, there is no redness. but as i mentioned, there are a lot more left over hairs.

overall, i'd get the braun. no pain, no gain, ladies...
33 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2014
I hate, hate, hate, shaving my legs so when I saw this product, I knew I had to give it a try. it is like a bunch of tweezers on a rotary wand ridding my legs of unwanted hair. With the first couple of uses it feels exactly like -- someone pulling out the hairs on your legs with tweezers. It may sting a little or a lot depending on your pain tolerance. Have you given birth without anesthetics? Yes? Then this is a cakewalk. No? Well then, it is still NOTHING like giving birth so please don't buy this thinking it will give you an idea of what it feels like to push a soccer ball out of your looove canal. I don't want you to use this epilator and then think "Wow, not too bad. I think I'll skip the anesthetics when I have a baby." NOT, NOT, NOT a good idea. Drugs are good. Drugs are great! DO NOT SKIP THE DRUGS!

Anyway, after using the epilator five to ten times you will notice that you feel less and less discomfort. No, it is not because you have increased your pain tolerance level and might now be able to give birth without having drugs administered. It is simply because you have less hair to pull out because the hair shafts have been permanently damaged and some hair is not growing back. ** Please think about this before deciding to use the epilator on your eyebrows -- you may end up with a lifetime of drawing on eyebrows. Sure that sounds easy enough in the beginning, especially if you like to color. But think about when your eyesight starts to fade. Try drawing eyebrows with glasses on, they end up higher on your head making you look perpetually surprised. Then, as you get older, your hands get shaky. Shakily drawn eyebrows will make you look irritated even if you are smiling.

So, buy this -- for your legs.
55 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2015
Wife wanted it and she loves it. there is obviously something wrong with her (in the head). Why in the name of all things that are HOLY, why anyone would want to voluntarily use this on their self. I watched her use this thing and touched the blade part to my arm hair......No way buddy. You ladies can have this modern electronic age version of what I can only assume was once a medieval torture device used to extract information from prisoners. Do you know this pulls the hair out by the root? And people use this on there groin area?! Why?!? Was the hive of rabid Africanized honeybees too busy??
on May 23, 2013
First off, I am a guy and I can't stand hair.. my opinions about why aside, this DID remove hair.. sadly most of the hair it removes is just broken rather then pulled out. I gave it a fair shake though, I tried it over the course of a month just to be sure it wasn't me being a guy and doing it wrong. I looked countless youtube videos and read reviews and such.

Now, I may just have the fastest growing hair in the world, but leg hair removed by the root shouldn't be visible in 2 days I think.. and a good 50% of the hair growing back is ingrown and just under the surface of the skin, making it so I have to dig it out.

If you are going to get one, don't go cheap. Go with Braun and make sure you research (this is probably me just being a guy) exfoliating, moisturizing and all that happiness to prevent ingrown hair.

Side Note: The first time using this HURT. I can take some serious pain but this was nearly unbearable. So if you are planning to do this, make sure you know what you are getting into.