5.0 out of 5 stars Epiphone Lt. Ed. Hummingbird Artist Faded Cherry
This is the first time I've purchased a guitar on the Internet. I used Amazon and the guitar shipped from Musician's Friend. I purchased the expedite and the delivery was during the second business day.

Published on March 16, 2012 by florian

1.0 out of 5 stars NO "HUMMINGBIRD" PICK GUARD!!!!
Published on September 10, 2011 by RICK

5.0 out of 5 stars Epiphone Lt. Ed. Hummingbird Artist Faded Cherry, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Epiphone Limited Edition Hummingbird Artist Acoustic Guitar Faded Cherry

I had played an Epiphone Hummingbird at Best Buy music. It was the standard hummingbird. I liked the sound and action. When I looked online I knew that I'd like the faded cherry color better than the standard cherry burst. When I opened the box I was not disappointed.

I had read a review from a soldier in Afghanistan who had received this style guitar and was disappointed because it did not have the scrolled pick guard as is featured on classic Gibson and Epiphone hummingbirds. I could see his point vis-a-vis his expectations. However, I personally think the faded cherry coupled with the more minimalist tortoise shell pick guard is a nice alternative, which I actually prefer.

I also saw different pictures of the Lt. Ed. hummingbird. One had a hummingbird pick guard that, while tortoise shell vice pictorially inscribed, was larger and contoured like the inscribed version. The other picture, and the type I received, was a smaller, simpler tortoise shell pick guard, which, once again I preferred. As I said... a minimalist style.

The retro tulip tuners are also nice. The alternative on the standard hummingbird are the chrome Grover tuners which are great quality. However I prefer the Tulip tuner for style and don't think there is much if any compromise on mechanical quality.

Neck action is outstanding. Set-up out of the box was according to standard and perfectly playable. Tone is extraordinary. I think this guitar could be favorably compared with some representing 2-3 times the cost.

I have 12 guitars in my collection; mostly Gibson Les Paul and Fender Strat Electrics. I have an Alvarez Yari acoustic and a few others including a Small Martin... and have played many guitars off the hook at music stores with astronomical price tags...

I've been playing since I was about 15.. I'm now 57 and still enjoy playing guitar.

This Epiphone is a fine instrument and an extraordinary value.

5.0 out of 5 stars This guitar will surprise you!, March 31, 2013
Robert J. Thomson (Fairport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I have many guitars, electric and acoustics many if which are expensive high brand instruments. I bought this guitar to keep at the lake because I didn't want to leave a high end guitar in such a hostile environment. I have not yet been to the lake but I find myself playing this guitar daily at home! I can't put it down. It's so easy to play and has that great punchy dread sound. I can't wait for the wood to mature and for this guitar to really open up. This beauty plays and sounds on par with any $1000-1200 guitar I own. Easily. I got the vintage sunburst color and soon after put the period style hummingbird pickup on it for an awesome vintage look. This is a great guitar for the price! I would buy this guitar again in a New York minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hummingbird Epiphone, August 10, 2012
Ok. I have 15 guitars, this is my favorite one. No joke. The sound is very crisp, and resonates beautifully. Was a little nervous because I hadn't tested first, but extremely happy with purchase. Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO "HUMMINGBIRD" PICK GUARD!!!!, September 10, 2011
THE GUITAR IN THE PICTURE IS "NOT" THE GUITAR YOU GET WHEN YOU ORDER THE EPIPHONE LIMITED EDITION HUMMINGBIRD ARTIST ACOUSTIC GUITAR. I AM STATIONED IN AFGHANISTAN SO I WANTED A GOOD QUALITY GUITAR, BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO SINK A FORTUNE IN IT,AS THE MAIL SYSTEM HERE DOES THE BEST THEY CAN TO GET YOU YOUR MAIL IN ONE PIECE.(and a guitar full of bullet holes or damage from a rocket blast won't do anyone any good) I'VE OWNED EPIPHONE GUITARS FOR YEARS AND HAVE YET TO HAVE ONE PROBLEM WITH THEM.
ANYONE WHO IS FAMILIAR AT ALL WITH HUMMINGBIRD GUITARS KNOWS THAT THE MOST DISTINGUISHABLE ATTRIBUTE OF A HUMMINGBIRD IS THE PICK GUARD, WHICH HAS A HUMMINGBIRD AND FLOWERS CARVED INTO IT. THIS NEW HUMMINGBIRD HAS A VERY SMALL, GENERIC, CHEAP LOOKING PICK GUARD ON IT THAT ONE WOULD EXPECT TO FIND ON A $59.00 GUITAR. HAD I KNOWN THIS GUITAR HAD THIS PICK GUARD ON IT I WOULD HAVE MADE ANOTHER SELECTION. I HOLD MUSICIANS FRIEND AT FAULT FOR MISREPRESENTING THE PRODUCT. IN THEIR DEFENSE THEY DID OFFER TO REPLACE THE GUITAR, BUT THAT WOULD ONLY COST MORE SHIPPING FOR A GUITAR I REALLY DON'T CARE FOR. IF THE GUITAR HAD BEEN SHOWN CORRECTLY IN THE ADD I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED THE GUITAR WITHOUT THE SCROLL WORK. I'D RATHER HAVE A SCRATCHED UP USED HUMMINGBIRD WITH THE CORRECT PICK GUARD THAN A NEW ONE WITHOUT IT. I ALSO FEEL THAT IF THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REP WOULD HAVE OFFERED ANY OPTIONS HE WOULD HAVE DISCOVERED THAT I WOULD HAVE GLADLY PAID THE EXTRA $50.00 FOR THE "REAL" HUMMINGBIRD WITH THE "REAL" PICK GUARD THAT THEY OFFER.

Rate and Discover Movies