4.0 out of 5 stars I love this bass, but a few flaws warrant 4 stars, April 2, 2013
This review is from: Epiphone Limited Edition Jack Casady Signature Bass Guitar, Silverburst (Electronics)
I have been playing this bass nearly every day since I bought it a couple months ago. I played around on some other semi-hollow basses in my local guitar shop, and didn't really like what I found. I took an absolute shot in the dark on this bass by a recommendation from a friend, and ordered it from Amazon. The company I went through was American Musical Supply, who shipped me the bass well before the estimated window, and inside the hard shell case I ordered with it for extra protection. I would recommend these guys if you can't find amazon backed shipping.

Now, for the bass. I love how it feels. The neck is smooth and surprisingly fast. It looks and sounds like a more expensive guitar than it is. The round wound strings and single JCB-1 pickup compliment each other very nicely, and it has great action. It also has a mahogany block underneath the bridge, which makes for some great sustain. I feel like I can play faster and more effortlessly than on my Fender, which requires some muscle. The electronics are simple, It has a volume and tone control knob, as well as a three-way toggle switch. The three-way switch gives you 50(clean hollow tone), 250(hollow-electric tone) and 500(electric) which can imitate the rock tone of my Fender P Bass. All these tones are unique in their own right and fun to play around with. You can play around on this bass for hours and not get bored, especially combined with amplifier settings. I would recommend it to anyone, this bass can tackle any genre but metal with ease.

As good as this bass is, though, there are a few things that irritate me about it. First of all, the strap mounts are not in the most ergonomic position. The one on the bottom is fine, but the top mount is on the base of the neck. This makes the bass want to tilt forward if you are standing playing with it (I am a very skinny guy), and it also makes the heavy neck take unpredictable nose-dives if you aren't supporting it. I have given up on playing it with a strap, and have moved to sitting on a bar stool or chair until I can get it to a shop and get the mounts redone.There are also a couple quality issues on my model worth noting. First, the 50-250-500 three-way knob is on very loose, and sometimes it will look like it's set to 250 when it's actually on 50. If i pull it back towards 50, it's already there and the knob finally pulls back and lines up. Not a huge complaint practicing, but it would be bad if I were switching quickly during a gig. The other thing that bothers me, is that there are minor flaws in the silverburst finish. There are a handful of white specks in the black, that are barely noticeable unless you're the one playing it. There is also a very small black smudge above the pickup that will not polish out, but isn't noticeable again unless you're playing it. Also, reading about worse quality guitars received from other reviewers, I figured I'd just keep it. To compare this to the quality of a $450 Fender Telecaster I bought about 4 months ago, it was shipped from the same company and arrived in immaculate condition with no flaws in the wood, finish, or knobs.

I'll wrap this review up now with some pros and cons:
Pros-
-Beautiful bass, looks great and plays like a dream
-Great value for money
-Wide variety of tones can be achieved
-Light weight
Cons-
-Strap mounts are not in a comfortable position
-There are some flaws in the finish and in the 3-way knob that should have been caught by quality control and fixed on my bass.

Overall a great bass for the money and I would recommend it to anyone that loves playing bass and has $700 to spend.

UPDATE: After over a year of owning this bass, I have found that the most comfortable way to play it is standing up with a wide strap (I think mine is 3" wide). This way you will not fatigue your wrist resting it over the wide body. Also, when changing strings, don't take all 4 off at a time, or if you do make sure you're holding onto the bridge or it will slide right off. I learned this the hard way, I wasn't holding on to mine and the saddles and adjustment screws all fell out as well. I spent an afternoon doing a full setup on my bass before I could play it again. This bass has held up well, and I don't regret purchasing it at all. It's great for blues, rock, jazz, and that great woody tone in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, this Limited Edition was what I was looking for!, June 20, 2013
Walrus (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
After extensive research and pondering this model for a couple of years, Epiphone came out with this beautiful Limited Edition (only 500 made, so don't wait!) in colors that to me were much better than the solid black or gold previously offered. I did not get this on Amazon, (almost), but I think you can do a little better with some of the online stores. The store I ended up buying this from gave me a significant discount that basically made the case free. Plus no shipping and sales tax paid. This store also did a 52 point inspection of the product to look for flaws, set string height, tighten anything loose, etc... Not trying to dis Amazon, I just wanted the best service and value for my money.

The bass itself is beautiful, with incredible tone. Jack Casady has been one of the greatest bass players around for half a century and one of my main influences. I've seen him several times in the last decade or so and this is the only bass he plays. The bass comes with the exact specs he uses as well as the strings he prefers that give him that great sound. I prefer flat-wound strings, but love the rounds that came with this bass. It doesn't need flats to get the great low end. With this bass, you can dial in many different sounds from the 50-250-500 knob that can give you the a traditional hollow body sound to a growling electric sound making this bass great for most genres of music. Death metal may be a stretch. It has a single Low-Impedance Humbucker pickup and has a tone control that actually works so the combinations of sounds are many and varied. I think most musicians will be satisfied with the low end that is available here.

There is a slight neck dive that is not uncommon for a semi-hollow body guitar, but this is easily fixed with changing to a wider strap. I recommend and use this one, Neotech 8301052 Mega Bass Strap, Black the problem was fixed! My only concern is the end pin on the top makes using a strap lock system more difficult by needing to drill into the body into the base of the neck. Haven't figured that one out yet as I do not want to drill into this beautiful guitar, so I am just being extremely careful for now. I always get compliments on the look and sound of this guitar when playing a gig. It is also a perfect compliment to my American Deluxe Precision Bass.

If you are considering this bass, and I highly recommend it, better hurry if you like the Limited Edition. Only 500 were made, and will not be available after they are sold. Check out the YouTube reviews as well if you need more convincing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound at a great price, February 21, 2013
I have been playing bass for a little more than 2 years. My first two bass's were solid bodies. I wanted an semi-hollow to round out my collection. I did a lot of research before committing, and that all spoke highly of this bass. So I was willing to take a gamble. The bass has an amazing, rich low sound. I have passive and active pick up solid bodies, and they can't touch the sound the Epiphone puts out. The controls are great as well. There is a knob that allows you to dial in distortion so you don't need a foot pedal to go from clean to rock distortion. Also the tone knob lets you adjust to where fret noise is almost eliminated, while still maintaining the richness of the tone. The factory set up is great as well. I haven't had to change anything. It felt right, right out of the box.

It's a looker too. I've had as many compliments on the looks as I have the tone. It arrived on time, and was in great condition. I inspected the finish closely, as that was the only negative I had read about the guitar, but it was flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tone., May 20, 2013
Bone "listen to the music play" (Atchison, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
Set up, and totally playable upon arrival.
Great action, and tone to match, wish I would have bought this years ago.
No flaws that I've found, but I'm more interested in playing it than looking at it.

Rate and Discover Movies