4.0 out of 5 stars Good now; better before Epiphone cut corners
For best results, look for a used copy made in about 2012 or earlier. Unusually for Epi Les Pauls (at any price), these had a one-piece neck.

Fewer pieces = better tone. Current copies are Epi's normal three-piece, with a joint at the heel and another joint at the headstock.

The non-gloss finish on the back of all Traditional Pro's makes their...
Published 15 days ago by Reader Rabbit

I will put it to you this way- I could afford any Name brand guitar I wanted- if I wanted it when I went guitar shopping- and for a guitarist that is a whole lot of options from name brand guitars to choose from in the Les Paul arena of guitars.

Published 6 months ago by Steven

4.0 out of 5 stars Good now; better before Epiphone cut corners, August 8, 2014
Reader Rabbit (Northern Calif., USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Ebony

The non-gloss finish on the back of all Traditional Pro's makes their construction easy to see. (Compared to gloss, it also makes their necks faster to play, and probably marginally improves their tone.)

The bridge pickup on this model sounds very sweet. The neck pickup is fine, but unremarkable. Replace it with a Gibson '57 Classic (about $65 used on eBay), and you'll have a great-sounding guitar. The independent coil splits add tonal versatility.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and buy the Custom Pro Les Paul- Epiphone Instead- a whole lot better guitar, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Ebony

I chose a $600 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro- Ebony- gold hardware- it plays incredible, feels great, and out plays most of the Gibson's costing $1000+ more. It is not always about the Name in a Guitar- it is what feels right and has quality parts / frame / tone- etc. So you can save yourself a whole lot of money. Do not buy a Les Paul Traditional Pro until you have played a Les Paul Custom Pro- for a $100 more it is night and day in parts and tone.

I have have played and owned over 8+ electrics, Kramers, Fender's, Ibanez RG's with Seymour Duncan's and Dimarzio's Pickups- More than 15 years of playing classic rock. I looked to change my style away from Strats and just looking for Slash's dark heavy tone sound (off Appetite for Destruction) and a Les Paul body as the framework. I tried Gibson's... a lot of $$$ for the name. I tried all the Les Paul types $$$ bottom on up because a guitar has to take a certain amount of abuse to be played, it is not some piece of art. It was designed to be used and it will dinged / have wear marks from good solid use. You can choose to buy and build on a platform upgrade, buy a complete product you enjoy or spend entirely way too much $$$ and go for a name brand that has the quality, but waste a lot of money in doing so where it is your ability transcended through the instrument. So you need a good quality instrument as a platform but don't need a Porsche or Ferrari in $$$ unless you are rich - and then you probably wouldn't be reading this review as you can spend $1,500 to $6,000 on a artist level guitar. I had that option if I wanted it and that is why I am writing this review- to give back- so you might not waste your money on the LP Traditional Pro.

Pros: good solid body, framework, grover tuners, solid bridge, like I said, good framework to upgrade off of- you will want to upgrade off of it- Pickups and wiring.

Cons: cheap knobs, Ok- pickups that need upgraded to Slash Seymour Duncans humbuckers, volume pot knobs are cheap and need replaced due to low quality. Back of neck is rough finished badly- that is ok if you want to beat this thing and drive it like you stole it in a guitar- but for putting out $500 it should be sanded and finished right. You will have to lower the action and do the intonation on it - It wasn't even close and I had just 1 fret at the top of the B string fail to clear the fret in front of it.... and the whole action was fine after lowered- no fret buzz. It was just was bad quality control on that one fret... some minor filing can solve that problem on bad QC. The truss rod / neck did not require any significant adjustment, The Pickups need replaced in my opinion for a much better quality sound. So for around $500 you get a good body to build on and need to sand and clean up the back of the neck.

Bottom Line: You can do all of that and for about $400 additional and your time build it into a great guitar or...... the better solution... Just for $100 more buy the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro model.... It has a great finished neck far better pickups, deep base tones, and clarity, great neck with no fret issues on mine, intonation was already 90% done- touched it up slightly, volume and tone volumes were quality and the overall finish was stunning- way better quality control by far. No fret buzz, no problem frets on QC.

I can tell you it was night and day and I walked away with a Les Paul from Epiphone that played and sounded better than majority of the Gibsons I played and tried out costing $1000+ more. Now you can buy an expensive Gibson- but it is hard to rough up a $2000+ guitar and take it from 0mph to 60mph and play it like you stole it where it will get wear and dinged up by good use.

You won't have to replace these pickups on the LP Custom Pro and they just sound deep and great, highs have clarity and lows are base but not muddied up for a great hollow body tone even though it is a solid guitar.

You owe it to yourself to at least play one to see the night and day difference between the Traditional Pro vs the Custom Pro. Once you see and feel the difference for $100 difference- it is a no brainer. I chose it over mid and high Gibsons for sound / tone / construction / quality. That was hard to do when money wasn't a factor on the decision process. No regrets either- total satisfaction- if it really matters to some people- I can put a black piece of electrical tape over "Epiphone" and you would not know it isn't a Gibson by how it sounds and plays for the Custom Pro. Don't waste your hard earned money on the Traditional Pro model - it isn't worth the cost out of your pocket in upgrades to end up turning it into the Custom Pro when it is finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck. Period., May 9, 2013
This review is from: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Ebony
I have only been playing for a couple months. I really wanted an electric guitar that I could play numerous styles with. I originally got an ibanez with a Floyd rose tremolo. I had it 3 days and couldn't take how often it would go out of tune. The sound was good and it was easy to play. Took it back and they had a brand new epi les Paul trad pro hanging on the wall. I played around with it for a few minutes and knew this was the right choice. Great build quality, awesome feel and playability. I took it home and set it up and I haven't looked back. Neck is great and easy to play. Frets are perfect size and won't cut you. They finished them off nicely. Pickups sound great through my crate amp. Wide variety of tones and sounds. Decent metal and rock sounds, but amazing blues and country tones. I am extremely satisfied with mine and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a versatile guitar for under $500.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar, September 8, 2012
This review is from: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Ebony
This is my favorite guitar now. 1 of six, easy playing neck and great sound.I love the coil slipting pick- up's. It's a little heavier than I though it would be, but not bad. Great sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome guitar, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Ebony
This is a great guitar. Feels great and sounds great. Quality product. I put ernie ball cobalt strings on it shortly after I received it and it screams. I play it with a fender mustang 3 amp. My buddy played it and now he wants one.

5.0 out of 5 stars extreme shopper, February 11, 2011
This review is from: Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Ebony
I have been looking for a first guitar for approximately six months. I'm no expert at suggesting that you buy this or any other guitar. But I do read the adds as well as others. I found that the Ephiphone Tradional Pro looks great. It seems to offer as many different tonal choices as any other guitar in its class and price range. the rich finish is both apealing to the eye as well as apearing quite durable for years of pleasure. I'm currently saving for this guitar to purchase, as I've made my mind up this is the one I want. There is no denying this company commintmnet to quality and customer satisfaction. Period. That says a lot yesterday but even more today. Thanks Epiphone.

Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar Ebony