5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing and acting!
Published 24 months ago by Dr. Christopher Coleman

2.0 out of 5 stars Why not a separate set for Season 2 only?
I don't know if this was Showtime's idea or what, but I already own Season One, so why would I want to buy a set containing Seasons One and Two? The answer is - I don't. I enjoyed the show, but I'll be darned if I'm going to be forced to re-purchase something I already own.
Published 21 months ago by Steve Richardson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing and acting!, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
We are in the Golden Age of television, with great shows of all kinds--Horror, Political intrigue, Action, Romance, and yes, Comedy. The extended story arcs of shows now allow all kinds of developments of character that were impossible in the old episodic formats that network shows followed so rigidly in the past. And so, ironically, with Episodes. The first season moves like a particularly funny Greek tragedy right into the final show; the second does likewise although a little less effectively. The writing, by David Crane and Jeffrey Klarik, is superb--a fantastic mix of hilarity and pathos, really smart humor and crudeness, all with powerful plot lines and terrific characterizations. Although Matt LaBlanc gets top billing, the show is really about Stephen Mangan as Sean Lincoln and Tamsin Greig as his wife Beverly, and these two actors have superb comic timing. Tamsin is the queen of the aside delivered after a beat, and Sean can deliver even a single word with brilliant comedic inflection--as, in the second season he enunciates the word 'date' like it's physically painful to say. LeBlanc, far from my favorite character in Friends, proves he can act--he's not just the friendly but clueless Joey here--although he is indeed that--but also at times caring, pathetic, remorseful, sarcastic and more...especially horny. Although 'subtly nuanced' might be inappropriate, it's a much richer, more complex and realistic character than Joey. The ensemble is full of brilliant supporting actors, too. Many have written of John Pankow's brilliant turn as Merc Lapidus, the viciously evil TV producer, but my favorite is Kathleen Rose Perkins as Carol Rance, his executive assistant, who makes every line drip with heartfelt insincerity. And I have to mention Joseph May as Andy Button, whose silent departure after being fired is one of the great moments of physical comedy. Episodes is brilliant through and through, and although the second season isn't quite as strong as the first, it is definitely worth your time. Most highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of series only (not the dvd), May 6, 2014
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
I was shocked at the quality of this series. It is exceptional. And while I loved Matt Leblanc on Friends, I was not prepared to see him as a more fully developed actor. Ok, he is supposed to play himself but while we always knew he could deftly play comedic scenes, we also get to see him in nice dramatic moments. As good as he was in Friends, he is even better in Episodes.
And he is not always likeable, although through it all, I found myself liking him even though he does many questionable things.
The rest of the cast is stellar, not a weak one in the bunch. Credit goes to the cast but also to the writing. It's a clever mix of British and American humor.
The only downside? Once you finish the last episode of season two, you will be wanting more, a lot more.
One caveat? Lots of very adult language. Doesn't bother me at all but people should be aware that this is not Friends-like at all. It is very adult, very different.
How good is Episodes? If I had to rank an all-time favorite comedy series, I would include Episodes. I don't know where yet but it would be up there. It's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Brit/American Mix Comedy, October 20, 2013
Maggie May (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
As we're an American/British couple it's often hard to find a comedy that we both enjoy. Episodes really fits the bill. While I wasn't a huge fan of Matt Le Blanc in Friends, this series has made me change my mind. I was so pleased that they carried on after the first series.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Episodes' exceeded expectations..., May 25, 2013
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
Crafty scripts, comedic acting, surprisingly effective play off of Matt LeBlanc's presumed life as he plays a hilarious version of himself. The British imports—Stephen Mangan & Tamsin Greig—add to the enjoyment. As a performance coach, I love the subtleties of acting while edging near slapstick. The entire ensemble plays well together. I'm looking forward to season 3 ASAP...

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and 100% entertaining series, December 9, 2012
K. bui (san diego, california) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
This hands down one of the best series I have ever had the joy of collecting. Episodes is a brilliant show. All the actors in it are hilarious, the writing is so funny, I guarantee you will be laughing every minute or deeply engrossed in what will happen next. I am extremely excited that I can finally get my hands on the second season. I got the season one and there was a MAJOR cliffhanger in the last episode and I was so upset because I wanted to know , "WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?!" I don't get showtime and I was tempted to get that channel just to able to see season 2. Now I can, thannnk yooouu

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical!!!, June 10, 2013
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
I am an avid 'FRIENDS' fan. I slaughter opponents in trivia games regarding the show. Which made me curious to see 'EPISODES' since Matt was one of the stars. I also think British humor is hysterical. ('FAWLTY TOWERS', 'MONTY PYTHON', & 'THE FULL MONTY' just to name a few.) The writing is exemplary. The characters well developed and play off each other brilliantly. I originally rented it on Netflix and watched the entire First Season TWICE in 36 hours. The last Episode I actually watched 5 times. It made me laugh out loud each and every time. The comedic timing between Matt LeBlanc and Stephen Mangan when they are (WARNING**** ENDING SPOILER ALERT****) fighting at the end was unbelievably funny on Season 1.

I was waiting anxiously for Season 2. When it came out I remember something weird about purchasing it (that was several months ago). But I ended buying seasons 1 & 2 together, because it was less expensive than purchasing Season 2 alone?????

However you purchase Season 2, it is well worth it. I personally think I liked Season 1 better, but not by much. They had better do a Season 3 - considering how they ended Season 2...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, May 14, 2013
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
This is a great show! Hilariously funny, smart and acerbic. Matt Le Blanc is awesome as a selfish sweetheart. I can't wait for the next season to arrive at my door.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny show!, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
I had watched Episodes as they aired and thought it was funny enough to buy the DVD's so my husband could catch up. He laughed..a lot.. Something entertaining, something different- and funnyyy to boot!

5.0 out of 5 stars great show, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the antics.. what a group. I hope they are going to be on for several months seasons...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Love it!!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD)
I can not wait for the third season to come out. Each episode leaves you wanting more, and it just keeps getting better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2
Episodes: Seasons 1 & 2 by Jim Field Smith (DVD - 2013)
$29.99 $19.80