on May 3, 2007
As a professsional speaker I've seen hundreds of screens over the past 25 years and this one really stands out. It is everything you could hope for and more. I love the design. It sets up fast, is easy to open and is just the right size for a living room or a medium size (up to 35 people) business meeting. I can't believe the price! I thought it was a good value at the original $250 price and now Amazon has it for under $85. If you need a protable screen, this is a great choice. Since it opens horizontally it is much shorter than other screens of this size. I am considering upgrading my projector now to show movies on tis screen instead of my old 27" TV.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 30, 2012
The main goal of purchasing this screen was a large screen in a compact space. My projector, the Optoma GT750E, is a wide screen projector and so are my laptops. I liked how this screen folded up into a protective case and the length is much shorter than other screens I have borrowed from colleagues. I was also hoping to use this as my home theater screen for movie night.

The screen is very compact and the way the legs mount into place is quick simple and designed very well. The screen is easy to unfold even if you are a shorter person.

I received the screen at home and unpacked it and set it up. The first thing I noticed was two slight folds running vertical up the screen in the middle. This is caused by the fact that the screen is mounted on two rollers housed in the left and right side of the frame. As you expand the screen from the center out, the two rollers roll out the screen. While the case is in the closed position there is a 3 to 4 inch center section of the screen that is flat and then the rest is rolled up (if my description isn't working picture an old document that is written on a scroll that has a bottom and top piece of wood that you un-scroll). As a result of being stored this way, it caused two vertical shadows with room light hitting the screen. I projected a movie and then my tivo onto the screen and luckily I didn't really notice any ill effects because of these slight creases but if this was my home theater screen I would expect it to not have this flaw.

The other flaw in the screen that is noticeable was that the top of the screen and bottom do not have any type of bar which results in them just being a piece of fabric without any backing. The right and left rollers don't keep the screen tight. Therefore the top under the weight of the fabric caused a bowing and the top of the screen in the middle had an arc. The end result was that when watching 16x9 HD content there was a distortion. Specifically I was watching Americas Got Talent and the heads of the judges kept warping as they moved because the top of the screen was arced instead of flat. Again for home theater this would drive you nuts over time. I did watch Star Wars Episode III and since that had black bars on top and bottom because of the aspect ration the arc didn't bother me there was no video on the arced area of the screen.

Not taking into account the above flaws, the case, stand and mechanism for unfolding the screen are well designed and thought out. The arc problem could be solved in many ways by making a quick support that spans the length of the screen vertically in the middle.

Like I said in the intro, this was bought for presentations on the road and the above flaws are not enough for me to return this and then settle with a screen that is twice the length when all closed up. I will even use it once in a while to watch a movie. But, when I decide to get a permanent screen for my home theater, I will be buying something else.
on December 3, 2007
The quality of the product's construction was unexpected. It is sturdy and has an attractive design.

Quick to set up and take down. Stored it stands discreetly in the corner of my apartment. The two large black borders that double as the case of the screen were well designed.

I paired this screen with the Optoma DV11 and found it really did bring out the colours and brightness of the projected image.

A significant complaint that I have is that the top inch and a half of the screen sags. I'm still trying to find a solution to this, however overall I do not find that it affects the projected image significantly.
on June 13, 2011
The top and bottom of the screen curl backwards in the center. There is no clip or additional piece to secure the screen so that it does not curl. The screen comes with a wall mount kit, however you would have the same problem as the lattice-type suspension behind the screen keeps the screen a good 2 inches away from the wall.

If you have a professional keynote or powerpoint presentation in 16:9 format, the top of the screen has a big shadow area from the bending of the screen. The bottom 3 inches of the screen has a shadow area as well that is about 2.5 feet long.
on January 3, 2008
I love this screen. I bought one for my classroom at a retail store after a significant price drop and wall-mounted it. Opening and closing the Duet while mounted on the wall is effortless and will not require a boost if you can reach the releases midway up the screen. I use both the full screen and the widescreen settings, and it makes discernible "clicks" when opened to the appropriate points. I use the Duet with an Optoma EP719 Projector (2500:1 contrast ratio, 2000 ANSI lumens), and the images are bright even with ambient sunlight in the room. For rare occasions when there is too much light in the room (when I need to keep the fluorescent lights on in half the room, for instance) I must use another screen with a higher gain to make the images "pop."

Impressed with the Duet's performance and ease of use, I decided to purchase a second one for home, this time through Amazon. The screen is portable enough to dismount from my classroom wall and bring home with its tripod, but a shoulder injury prevents me from easily removing the screen from the wall bracket without assistance. The projector, however, DOES come home with me on weekends (it, too, is mine, not the school's). My home Duet sets up on its tripod in one simple motion that I can perform even with my injured shoulder. The projected images look fantastic in my darkened living room, and I cannot wait to watch the Super Bowl on this thing! I even use the Duet with a widescreen laptop hooked to the projector, and a wireless keyboard and mouse paired with the laptop. When Monday morning comes around I break down the Duet in about thirty seconds and slide it under my bed where it lies in wait for the following Friday night!

Okay... why not five stars? Well, if I could give it four-and-a-half, I would. But, I share a minor quibble common among other Amazon reviewers: there is a slight but noticeable sag along the upper edge of the screen. This is not usually a problem with moving images, but sometimes when using a laptop with text applications or static graphics the sag skews the tops of the images. It's definitely not a deal breaker, and for the Duet in my classroom I mounted a brace to the wall behind the top-center of the screen. It helps to square the screen by "catching" the top of it where it tends to bow. The brace is placed in such a way that it does not interfere with the screen's ability to open and close. The addition of a built-in tensioning device would certainly add to the cost of the Duet, and may in fact make its operation more difficult.

The Duet is a fantastic portable screen. Setting it up and breaking it down is a cinch, and its horizontal open-close feature is easier to use (especially for short folks like me) than tripod screens utilizing a top hook. The tripod slips into the back of the screen when it is closed, and with the attached heavy-duty straps the screen and the tripod are easily transported as a single unit. Highly recommended item!!
on August 20, 2012
The concept is different than the traditional typical screen in that it opens horizontal vs. vertical.

What I like:
Stand is sturdy, easily store stand in the screen case.
Screen is protected in a decent case, although plastic case, we'll see how durable it is over time.
Has the option to mount to a wall.

What I don't like:

Bulky and heavy compared to other screens due to the dual enclosures (right and left) that come together.
As other reviewers have mentioned, top and bottom edges curl, although it curls only on the black edge, not affecting the screen itself.
The one I received has indentation marks where the screen comes together like it's been stored in this closed position for a while. I've seen this screen elsewhere and it did not have this issue or the curling, so not sure if this is due to being stored for quite some time or if it's due to something else. I'll try to post a picture of these issues.
Height is very short as others have said, so if you are showing this to a crowded room, you may be challenged to get it to a height everyone can view. Wish they offered an extension tube or a height adjusted base.
review image
on July 26, 2008
I only paid $119 for this screen! This screen is light, compact and portable. The tripod can be removed, folded and then can be placed behind the screen when it is compacted back in. There is a handy dandy nylon carrying handle that makes it very easy to carry by your side.

It is the only one that I found that has a duel screen format, 16:9 (widescreen) and 4:3 (full size). You just pull it out sideways until the first click for the full size and if you want widescreen, you keep extending it until it clicks a second time.

I do agree with most reviews about there being a slight crease in the very top middle area. This is due to the screen not being locked in tightly BUT honestly you will never notice it when there is a movie playing because it is so slight.

One more negative is the fact that the middle tripod leg is facing to the rear. In other words you cannot plae this up directly against a wall because the third leg pushes it out about 2 feet.

Overall I rated this 5 stars because although there are two negatives that I found the overall quality, compact design, size and value far outweighs me to bring this down to four stars. I do wish Epson would come out with a 100+ inch duet screen for us to play with.
on May 13, 2007
I now have had the Duet Projector Screen for about a month. The unit is just great. It takes up little space folded which comes in very handy in a motorhome. I also comes with a wall mountable bracket to do away with the stand which folds and attaches neatly to the unit. All you do is slide it on the stand and pull it to one of two detents. One is for 4X3 aspect ratio or 16X9. Very easy to work with and the gain of the picture is very good.
on December 6, 2010
We bought this screen in a hurry, choosing something inexpensive that we thought would fill our need for showing movies in the garage for my son's birthday party. We were pleasantly surprised by its execution. The screen makes a really nice package, if not a little heavy. It's easy to set up, and the components seem to be of good materials and workmanship. I expected something with basic metal legs (perhaps even with some sharp edges), loose and wobbly, but serviceable for our trivial purpose. What I got was a screen with a solid tripod base that opens easily and smoothly. The screen drops onto the tripod simply, and then you pull open the screen to the left and right--it opens like theater curtains--to the width you need. Operation is smooth, the screen area is large, and our images look bright and clear projected on it. Very happy, especially for the price. This screen is an excellent value. When collapsed for storage, the unit easily fits into a corner of any closet, or can even be slid under a bed. My only caution is that the unit is heavy, so if you are looking for something to carry around a lot, this may not be a perfect choice. But if you are looking for something that stores easily, sets up fast, and gives you a big screen that looks good, and you don't want to spend a ton of money, this screen is a great choice.
on October 9, 2010
This screen has such great potential. Mounts to the wall easily, opens and closes easily and overall, looks great. BUT the middle of the screen sags about 1-2 inches!! It makes the entire screen useless. If you watch a movie on wide screen setting, it bends the image at the top. Not good at all.