Epson B11B178061 Perfection V750-M Pro Photo Scanner
Price:$814.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 22, 2007
Verified Purchase
The Epson V750 is a great scanner. We bought it for film and slide scanning and have not been disappointed in its performance. It's fast, has fantastic resolution (rivaling much more expensive film scanners) and will do multiple slides or negative strips. The "but" refers to the included software. The Epson scanning software is quite good, but I had hoped to be able to use the SilverFast package, which was supposed to be a full software package. Unfortunately, it's a "crippled" application, lacking the ability to convert multiple slides in a single scan into individual pictures (which the full application CAN do). This was a major disappointment. So, hardware great, software not so much.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 22, 2010
Verified Purchase
I replaced a UMAX Powerlook II with the Epson V 750 Pro. This is an excellent scanner for working as a stand-alone scanner to do copies or OCR into Microsoft Word. The scanning capabilites are excellent and it will work thie the SliverFast or EZ color utilities (trial versions)that are bundled. Setup of the scanner went exceptionally well on the first try- far easier than some of the others that I have owned. This scanner has the ability to do transparencies, negatives, and x-rays which is a real bonus versus the slower Nikon one-slide-at-a-time scanner.

My only comments about the scanner is that Amazon ships the scanner by putting a UPS label directly on the box. The first scanner that came by standard UPS looked like it was dropped on one of the corners and was returned. The second scanner was ordered via overnight and arrived with two corners caved inwards and was refused. Finally, I got smart, paid the $3.99 for gift wrapping (blue bag) which meant thatt the wrapped scanner had to go in a larger box with padding. This one arrived without a scratch. Unfortunately, this ordering and returning becomes a problem. I don't understand why Amazon would ship a delicate electro-optical device and expose it to damage in transit.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 29, 2006
I've first heard about this Epson scanner about 8 months ago and was very interested in its 6400 dpi scanning resolution capability. With that kind of resolution you can get decent prints from even Super 8 movie film. Check out the very thorough review of the V750 at the Photo-i.co.uk website.
After just a week of having this scanner now, I'm impressed with the very good film (slides and negatives) scans it produces. As noted in the above listed review though, the film holders are rather flimsy. For odd sized film, you basically just lay the film flat on the glass. This supposedly can produce ring type artifacts; but I haven't noticed any.

The User's Guide on the included CD isn't all that self-explanatory. For the price of this scanner, it would seem that Epson could at least provide a paper User's Guide that could be more detailed.
I haven't tried any of the included software yet. The scanner works fine as is.

Other than the cheap film holders and User's Guide, I'm very satisfied with it. This is a scanner that is competitive with much more expensive dedicated film scanners and can scan a wide assortment of film formats as well as just regular flat paper scans.
on October 14, 2009
After making less than 500 scans over the course of 3 years, I recently noticed that images were skewed...rectangular images were scanning as parallelograms! It was slight, but resulted in useless scans. After a bout with Epson tech support, I brought the scanner to their repair depot, who diagnosed the problem as a bad carriage assembly (this includes all the working parts excluding the plastic case). This is a $450 repair with a 90 day warranty. With Epson boasting a MCBF (mean cycles before failure) of 100,000 scans, I thought my unit should do better than 0.5% before failure but Epson disagreed and refused to fund the repair. Epson should stand behind clearly defective units.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2007
Verified Purchase
The occasional scanner for artwork and simple copy doesn't need this kind of investment, so do yourself a favor, save some money and look elsewhere. If you plan on selling retouched and restored work then the V750-M may be what you've been looking for. Yes it's expensive, but with the quality and speed I've been enjoying over the last few months, I can honeslty say that my personal investment has been worth it. I've owned several scanners in the past and was really nervous about making this kind of purchase. Although I've had excellent results with the $300.00 and under breeds, the V750-M produces quality beyond anything I could have hoped for. Anything better would cost me thousands of dollars I simply don't have. If there's any way you can possibly audition this scanner without a purchase then please do so. It's still a serious "chunk of change" purchase, but after calibration using Silverfast and several prints later, I was well aware of what I was getting into and found the investment worthwhile and sound. There's just no comparison with my earlier scanners. The V750-M is serious about what it does and does it well.
on November 4, 2006
Verified Purchase
The scanner is GREAT! It's only for people who want the best without spending thousands on a drum scanner. The software is a little tricky at first but there are "how to" videos for each step. It only took a little time to figure it out. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for the best and has some computer knowledge. You will also need a computer that is up to date because the software uses a lot of memory (RAM).

Be sure to warm up the scanner 30 minutes prior to use. Also calibrate your monitor, scanner, and printer with the software provided before you get started.

Our family wanted to transfer all the slides, negatives, positives, and such to a digital format. So far it has done a great job.
on October 4, 2006
Verified Purchase
If you are serious about getting high-quality scans from 35mm transparencies, as well as larger formats, this is your scanner. I am in the process of scanning hundreds of old slides of India and am bowled over by the quality of the images, even before tweaking them in Photoshop CS2. The V750-M Pro is worth every penny of its purchase price. I intended to buy the Epson Perfection 4990, but its lack of availability forced me into buying the V750, which I am very glad I did, after having a bad experience with a high-end MicroTek scanner.
on May 13, 2010
Verified Purchase
Have been scanning my own film since the first HP PhotoSmart scanner came out back in the 1990s. For the past 10 years, have been using an Agfa Duoscan T2500 (2500 dpi optical). However, due to its SCSI interface and lately some color quirks in the scan data, have been seeking a replacement/upgrade.

Purchased the Epson V750 after closely studying the reviews here and the detailed external review. After using the Epson for a couple weeks now, I can say that I am not surprised at its performance but still a little disappointed in the delivered scan resolution compared to the specifications. In multiple testing using positives and negatives, film holder and flat glass, film-height adjusters (middle setting always the best), and regardless of the resolution selected for the scan, the actual detail present in the scans is not much greater than that delivered by the old Agfa Duoscan at 2500 dpi. That is to say, lots of pixels and large scan files but not the "information per pixel" that would correspond to "true" optical densities like 4800 or 6400 dpi. On the other hand, the Epson scan files do sharpen very nicely with Photoshop USM. After sharpening, I then use Photoshop's image size function to reduce the resolution down to 3200 dpi for efficient storage.

A month back I had a roll of Kodak 160NC processed and premium-scanned by a professional lab. This was partly to have an independent benchmark for scanner comparisons. The resulting scans looked very very good at a calculated scan density of about 3500 dpi. Conducting a very careful scan with the Epson, I was able to obtain a (post-sharpened) image file not quite as good as, but very close to, the professional scan.

Regarding the accompanying SilverFast AI software (which I've used exclusively for my testing and scanning), the delivered version is fully licensed and activated once you enter the product key found on the CD sleeve. Note this version is locked to the Epson scanner. Also note that LaserSoft Imaging (publisher of SilverFast) has created a product structure with countless options and SilverFast AI is not by any means the top end of their line. One missing option that would be very nice to have is Multi-Exposure. The options are available as upgrades to the basic SilverFast AI package, for a price of course. All that said, SilverFast AI is a very capable scanning package and I've been quite happy with it.

I also used the accompanying EZcolor calibration package to create an input profile for the Epson. This was a straightforward procedure and did result in an improved color accuracy as judged by comparing the original scan of the supplied standard color target with the profiled scan.

In summary, the Epson V750 with the supplied software is a fine, relatively affordable solution for film scanning enthusiasts. Actual resolution of details delivered to the image files is probably in the low 3000's - a useful resolution for 35mm frames and more than adequate for larger film sizes.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2008
I am a big fan of Epson's printers. But this scanner has been a nightmare. I bought it in June of 2008, and started scanning my vast archive of negatives. I soon noticed that there were color bands showing up on the right side of my images, detrimental to more subtle images with washes of cloudy sky, etc.

I called Epson, and they referred me to a service center. so I drove the 45 minutes and dropped it off. They spent a month replacing part after part, and then couldn't test the scanner to see if it worked or not, and wanted me to drive up there and give them some negatives to test. Don't you think a service center should be able to test a scanner? Wow.

So I call customer service and tell them that I am not willing to spend another afternoon and gas money to deal with their faulty scanner. Meanwhile, I had paid 700 dollars and hadn't gotten a single good scan in the 2 months I owned it.

Epson wouldn't give me a refund, and told me that I had to drive all the way over to the service center, pick it up, and ship it to them myself for a replacement to be sent to me. I begged for them to have the service center deal with it, and told her over and over again that it was unfair to make me spend more money and put more time into getting a scanner that worked. But they wouldn't have it. So I was finally able to take a day off work and instead of using it for something positive in my life, I drove all the way up to Oakland (I was no longer living in the city, but further south, but epson didn't seem to care how long it was going to take me to drive there, it was evidently my problem)

When I get the scanner home, I notice that the repair center didn't lock the laser into place, so the whole car ride, it was unlocked. Strike one.

Then I made some scans, and the same exact problem was still there. 3 months after investing 700 dollars into this scanner, and still not a single decent scan. I began to wonder what it takes to get a functional scanner from Epson.

So I called customer service back, (and each time i called them, i had to take time off and spend an hour on the phone waiting on hold, explaining the whole situation again, etc) and they said I needed to speak with the same person I talked to before, so they had me leave a message. No call back. A week later, I call them again, she's not here, another message, no call back. Now I have moved on to other projects, I am living in a different state, and I don't have time to deal with them. I call back about 3 weeks later, she's finally there!

She says that the service center should have given me a replacement and I didn't need to pick it up and ship it to Epson myself! After making me drive all the way up to the service center and saying that I needed to ship it to Epson directly (she told me this about 20 times on the phone, because I repated over and over that I thought it was disrespectful and rediculous). And they still won't give me a refund, and 5 months later, I still have not gotten a good scan.

Meanwhile, I have paid for gas, taken hours off work, paid for rental time and shops to scan negatives for me when I already paid for my own scanner.

EPSON HAS NO RESPECT FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS TIME. IS THIS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET A GOOD SCANNER FROM EPSON? AGAIN, I LOVE THEIR PRINTERS, BUT I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER EPSON PRODUCT. I have lost at least twice the cost of the scanner in the time and money I have spent trying to get it fixed, and having to go elsewhere for scanning services.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 12, 2007
Verified Purchase
I previously wrote a glowing review for this scanner BUT as time goes by, I find this to be not so great after all and have thus decided to change the review to reflect my feelings on the matter.

First, the film holder for 35mm negatives stinks. I can't put it any clearer than that. If you have old negatives that have curled over time, you will encounter problems as the holder does not help flatten out the negative strip one bit. I have yet to use the fluid mount system to correct this problem but be real now. If you have a massive amount of negatives to scan, this becomes a BIG pain very quickly.

Initially I enjoyed the ease of using the Epson software and used that over the enclosed Silverfast AI but that has changed. SilverFast delivers sharper images and (more importantly) DOES NOT CUT OFF YOUR SLIDES like the Epson software does. Shame on you Epson!!!!

I recently conducted my own tests and found, like others online, that the sharpest images comes not at 6400 DPI, not at 4800 DPI but at 3200 DPI. Oh, and if you want the sharpest image possible, forget the Digital ICE as that will soften the image and not get all the scratches either.

I regret having sold my dedicated film scanner to buy this product but I am stuck with it and have to make the best of the situation. In many areas, Epson dropped the ball big time.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations