5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far (a couple of days of use)
Published 9 months ago by TEA

2.0 out of 5 stars Print cartridges highly unsatisfactory
Published 7 months ago by Angie Boyter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far (a couple of days of use), October 21, 2013
TEA (Redmond, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson C11CD29201 Expression Premium XP-810 Small Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (Office Product)
Just got the printer, but here's a short list of what I like so far: hard-wired LAN hookup, excellent grayscale ADF scanning experience, excellent photo printing, manual rear paper feed in addition to front trays, ability to scan over the hard-wired LAN, Epson setup software excellent, Epson scanning software very good (one minor thing I didn't like), and the XP-800 (not 810) got high marks from Consumer Reports.

Some details...

* Unit was nicely packaged, easy to physically setup.

* It's much smaller than my prior all-in-one, and relatively small given its capabilities, so fits more easily into an area with limited space.

* Software setup was exceptionally easy, well-designed. When you start setup, it automatically gets updates before installing (not typical in my printer setup experience). It then automatically detected the printer on the hard-wired LAN (this has been painful with other printer setups). At the end of setup, it automatically obtains and installs the latest printer firmware (not typical in my printer setup experience). This had to be one of the easiest, most thorough of LAN-printer setups I've ever experienced.

* Its software updater was very easy to use as well. Detected several apps which required updating, but let me click which ones to update, and updated them without issue and without the need to reboot.

* Minor blemish (but not a deal breaker): After setup, when updating to the latest printer driver, it prompted me with three confusing choices. I don't remember what they were exactly but trust me they were confusing. Something like the following: a) Update the driver and add the printer, b) Update the driver but do not add the printer, c) Do not update the driver. I'm a technical person and could determine the right choice, but I wouldn't expect a normal non-tech user to feel comfortable. Basically, there's an updated driver available, and the printer has already been setup, so `b' is the right choice because it will update the driver for already installed ("added") printer.

* The printer supports hard-wired LAN hookup as well as WiFi. I like hard-wired because it's available in my home, and it's easier to setup... just connect the printer to the router and Epson's software finds it right away during setup.

* I scanned a bunch of documents using the ADF, very easy: I have only scanned as grayscale, but had to do about 200 pages. It went extremely well. No ADF issues/jams, and it supported scan-to-PDF. It also allows changing between scanning on the flatbed and ADF within a single scan session, all pages going to a single PDF.

* Scanning single-sided grayscale via ADF took about 10 seconds per page, while double-sided grayscale via ADF took about 30 seconds per two-sided page (approximately 15 seconds per side or per page, the implication being that page flipping adds about 5 seconds per scanned page). I have not scanned color or in different modes so can only speak from my one grayscale scanning experience so far, which consisted of about 200 pages going to several PDFs (i.e., a few scanning sessions creating several PDFs from both the ADF and flatbed). Double-sided scanning worked exceptionally well, no jams.

* Ouch, one scanning downside (not a deal-breaker): You cannot push the Scan button on the physical scanner to initiate a scan to the PC over the network. I was shocked at first because this led me to think the XP-810 did not have any support for scanning over the hard-wired LAN connection, but it does: you must initiate the scan from Epson's software on the PC. The reason I expected Scan button to work this way is because my older Canon MX860 supported this feature... you could push a button on it, and scan right to a PC PDF without touching the PC at all. Using Epson's software to initiate a scan over LAN from the PC is fine for me. NOTE: The Epson XP-810 includes a USB hookup as well. I believe it may support Scan button to scan to a PC connected via USB, but I have not tried it. I am only referring to the LAN hookup I'm using... when I pressed Scan, the only options presented where, I believe, a USB options and memory cards/devices. In any event, realize I'm speaking of my own particular usage/setup.

* Ouch, another blemish (non-deal-breaker for me, but it may be for office/business users): During lengthy scanning of, say, 35 documents in a full ADF, one might like to continue to use his/her PC for other tasks such as email or the like. The Epson scanning software, while scanning, will show progress, which by itself is just fine, but it becomes problematic because Epson's software activates the progress dialog/window after each page or so, which means, while you're working within a different application during scanning, the Epson software makes itself active while you're trying to get work done. You might be typing in email, and all of a sudden the Epson software will be the active application, so your keystrokes stop going to the email or other application. I could easily see this being a deal-breaker for a secretary who might need to scan on the same PC upon which she writes letters, as just one example. For me, this issue is okay to deal with, though it is a pain. Since this issue is very easy to fix, Epson should address it. It's an unnecessary limitation. There may be a way around this by using other scanning software, but I tried one other application but it ends up using the Epson scan dialog and I see the same issue.

* This unit has a front loading paper tray, but it also has a rear manual feed for photo paper, which I consider to be a big plus, very convenient compared to having to change out the tray paper all the time. The rear feed works well, but it was a little confusing at first since you can't just rest the paper there, you must actually insert it about 2 inches for the printer to recognize it's there. This is documented, which is how I figured it out, but only after experiencing a few printer error messages. This nuance differs from typical rear feed experience.

* I have not used the front CD/DVD printing tray, but I noticed it is easy to insert it too far into the unit. You must carefully insert it until you see it is flush, and then stop. It also has a slight click and feel, where you know it's reached the right point, but this is untypical. Usually printer parts like this have a definite point where you cannot insert them further and that's the right point. This is a very minor issue, if an issue at all. Another review called this out, so I'm confirming it.

* After installing the Epson software, I noticed the "Epson Ask IE toolbar" had gotten installed. I must have missed a checkbox somewhere during install, or they decided to install it anyway. Regardless, Epson really doesn't need to be installing stuff like this. I removed it. Not a biggie but I wish companies would default to installing the necessities and make other things optional by default.

* I owned a Canon MX860 for several years. I worked well until one day, during scanning, it displayed a B200 error and the unit became inoperable. Despite having experienced that Canon issue, since the MX860 had worked well, I looked closely at the Canon PIXMA MX922 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax as a replacement, instead of this Epson XP-810. The MX922, though, did not have any manual rear photo paper feed as did the MX860, and that was an MX922 deal-breaker for me. At that point, I went with this XP-810.

2.0 out of 5 stars Print cartridges highly unsatisfactory, November 29, 2013
Angie Boyter (Ellicott City, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Design: The printer is nice and compact, slightly over 7 inches tall, about 13 inches deep, and 15 inches wide. The paper tray, like several other Epson printers I have used, is smaller than the trays in printers from HP, which is a nuisance---printing remotely does not work well if the paper tray is empty. When you print, the touchscreen panel opens up and a tray comes out of the front of the printer for the output. This is a nice improvement over my last Epson Artisan printer, which tended to eject printouts onto the floor, but the tray and the panel must then be closed manually, which is a bit inelegant. The ink cartridges are physically smaller than normal, and I will be interested to see how long they last. Two black cartridges are used at one time plus a photo black cartridge. There are two paper cassettes, one for standard-sized paper and one for smaller sizes such as typical photo-sized paper. CAUTION: Without asking, the installation defaults to the small cassette when you print photos; you might or might not want that setting.
Installation: I got ink on my hands from installing several of the cartridges, which has never happened to me with other cartridges. The wi-fi automatic setup failed, so I had the opportunity to try out the setup wizard. It worked well and was easy to use.
Operation: Printing worked well (once I had reset my defaults to the size and type of paper I was using. It is also important to make sure you have designated the right kind of paper, glossy or standard.). The print was sharp, and the colors were true. When I copied, however, there was some degradation of colored items and some loss of small details of patterns. On copies, purples tended to pick up some brown tones, and pinkish reds came out with more orange.
Special Features: The Epson Connect feature allows a user to print remotely from another device that has e-mail capability simply by sending an e-mail to the printer's e-mail address. I tried this feature, and it worked nicely.
However, the widely touted ability to print from an Android phone is not satisfactory. It was easy to download and install the Epson iPrint app from Google Play (Yes, you DO use iPrint; it is not just for Apple products despite the name.). There is also an Epson Creative Print app that lets you do fanciful things like turn your photos into black-and-white "coloring books" for your kids (or you) to play with. From the iPrint app it is straightforward to print your photos. However, if you want to print other kinds of files from your phone, you must go to Saved Documents on the iPrint menu and access the file structure of the phone. This does not work well. I was never able to find, for example, my calendar entries or my contacts from the app. It is not possible to be looking at your calendar or an S Notes document like my Grocery List and print it out directly from that screen. The Epson tech rep told me this is a Samsung issue, not an Epson issue. This may be true, but nonetheless I think their claims about printing from my smartphone are a bit overstated.
Support: Finding a phone number is not easy. It is in the Quick Start Guide and at the back of the online Owners Guide. Otherwise, you are stuck using e-mail; there is no online chat. The tech rep was able to answer my questions about using the Epson iPrint app to print from my phone.
Summary: For normal home use, the nicely compact Epson XP-810 is reasonably satisfactory, but the special features are not as good as I had hoped, and a larger paper tray would be a big improvement. Since the "bells and whistles" were disappointing, I wonder if I could have done as well with a simpler printer.
UPDATE: I downgraded this rating to a 2 based on my experience with the print cartridges and am sufficiently unhappy that I am in the market for a new printer. I do not do high-volume printing and would estimate I average no more than 25 pages a week, practically all in black and white except for an occasional blue hypertext link. My black cartridge ran dry in 6 weeks, despite extending it. I am into the third week of my second cartridge, and the level shows it half gone. All of the color cartridges are also dry. I bought brand-new Epson cartridges and had two bad experiences replacing them that I have never encountered before: The blue cartridge spattered all over when I removed it (despite the fact that it was supposed to be completely empty), and the magenta cartridge had leaked all over its sealed envelope, which required me to go back to Staples and exchange it. Obviously the cost per page for this printer is high; the quality control is questionable; and it is messy to change the cartridges.

5.0 out of 5 stars 610 or 810? The answer depends on if faxing or the dual sided auto document feeder (30 pages) is required., November 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Excellent quality line of everyday color printer which also doubles as a photo printer - Epson has been holding up far better than HP printers of late and with the great value ink sources available here on Amazon (including inktoneram which has given us great service) the cost of printing per page is negligible.

I recently compared both the 610 and the 810 printer side by side to decide which is best for my needs. I chose the 810 over the 610 ONLY because of the two primary extra features. The 610 and the 810 printers are nearly identical, the primary difference being the 810 is slightly taller since it also includes a fold out auto document feeder which handles up to 30 pages, double sided, for scanning and copying and FAXING, which the 610 is not capable of faxing though it works great with services such as eFax which I personally prefer to use, anyway!

Both printers have a rear accessible paper feed for thicker card stock, premium paper or photo paper. Both printers feature a built in paper tray to handle 100 page capacity. Both printers feature a lower slide out tray to hold CDs and DVDs to print DIRECTLY on to the disk without it spinning or becoming misaligned. Both the 610 and the 810 printers use the Epson 273 ink cartridges - 5 in the set for cyan, magenta, yellow, black and photo black (this is this important for printing photos!)

I am very impressed with both printers. They are built with quality construction, feel SOLID, and work perfectly directly out of the box. Epson Connect is VERY easy to configure for wireless printing. I appreciate I can forward an email to an "email address" and the printer will print the file. So when I'm working from home my boss can email a file directly to my printer, or I can email a document to my husband's printer so he doesn't have to hassle with opening his email, downloading the file, opening the file, printing, etc. It's so convenient to email the document directly to the printer! I use the wireless printing capability all the time, in fact my printer is not located anywhere near a wired Ethernet connection, never was, it just isn't needed, not even during the initial setup. It is handy to know your wireless network's information, it will need to be entered on the display screen during the setup process.

I am impressed. Thoroughly impressed. HP and Canon used to be my go to printer lines - not anymore. Not in years. If I was needing a LASER printer I would check out the Brother printers for both color and monochrome. Otherwise I strictly recommend the Epson lines of printers, particularly for reasonable cost photo printing.

Note: I've been using Epson Connect for over a year with other Epson printers. Epson has always been prompt to email prior to any scheduled service outages (2 or 3 in over a year) and service remained available almost the entire time, in other words they are very reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Printer!, October 3, 2013
The Epson Expression Premium XP-810 was super simple to set up. Just a few simple steps and it was up and running wirelessly from both my desktop computer, my husband's laptop, and even my kids' iPads. One of the really great features of this printer is that once connected to these devices, you can print pictures from pretty much anywhere. To be honest, I had a hard time figuring out how this part worked, but that's what a have a teenager for. They are the ones that use wireless devices anyway. Using Epson Connect, my daughter was able to send pictures of her little sister on the pony ride right to the printer while we were still at the fall festival. All she had to do was go online and download the app.

I was also really impressed with how long the ink is lasting. As an author and a mom of four, my printer works overtime and the old cartridges never seemed to last long enough. I've been using these for over a week and printed tons of images with no need for refills. I must have printed at least twenty color pictures as well as fifty pages of my newest novel. On my last printer I was lucky if I got ten pictures out of it before at least one color ran out. When you do start running low on ink, you can replace one color at a time so nothing is wasted.

One of the other features of the Epson that I had to share is the scanning abilities. I was able to save a picture of my great grandmother that is over one hundred years old. Time was taking its toll on this photo and without scanning it, I might have lost it forever. Now, I was able to share in on my face book page and tag all cousins from all over the country so we can all share in these fond memories. That was probably the best gift that Epson provided. I was also able to print copies and the quality was amazing, even using this old world photo. Of course, the scanner also comes in handy for sending back signed contracts and other work tasks. I used to either mail contracts or run to the library to have them faxxed, but now I can handle it all from the comfort of my own home.

There are a few other things worth a mention. While I haven't had a chance to try it out since I have no one to send anything to and I normally prefer scanning, there is a built in fax machine. It's also a compact machine with no messy wires. It doesn't take up a lot of space and fits snugly right next to the monitor on my desk. So far, I have had no issues with paper jams or smearing when printing photos or documents. Overall, I am very impressed with everything this printer is able to do. I've used more expensive models in the past that didn't work nearly as well. This printer is a great price, does it all, and I would definitely recommend it.

***Complimentary unit received in exchange for an honest review***

4.0 out of 5 stars Great in many respects, a few concerns/myths., March 1, 2014
4-star Summary: Great function, easy installation, improved design, excellent connectivity.

Short-of-5-star Concerns: Ink, managing settings, durability.

I bought the Epson XP-810 after evaluating HP and Canon, plus owning the Epson Artisan 810. This printer has very good capabilities, is an upgrade from the Artisan 810, has some weaknesses, and there are myths about it in other reviews. My experience is on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

"Small in one" is accurate for the size. It prints sharp, vivid black text that smears very little when highlighted. Photo printing is Epson high quality, and I've yet to see a difference between the results of this 5-ink, 3-color printer and the 6-ink, 5-color Artisan 810. "Small" is partly achieved by the duplexer being built inside the printer, which I think will be more reliable than the Artisan duplexer that was an attachment hanging off the back and could get out of alignment.

The 3-inch LCD touch panel is bright, with better resolution than the Artisan. You tilt the panel up or down to any position you prefer, and do not require a "release" button that the Artisan did. You can scroll the LCD by swiping, but I was pleased to see that arrows are also provided to scroll up or down incrementally.

Input trays are not high capacity, but I like that the photo tray is separate from the main tray. I would like to print 3x5, but the specs say 3.5x5 is the smallest supported paper. I get the ability to use legal paper for print and copy (with the ADF), which one competitor I studied did not offer. High scanner dpi is included, and borderless photo printing a must-have (I briefly looked at an Epson Workforce printer until being shocked that it didn't provide borderless printing).

The rear paper feed option was important to me for single sheets and card stock. While delivering the function, it is limited to one sheet at a time and cumbersome in use: (a) you must select "rear feed" from the printer properties, then (b) send the output, then (c) wait to be prompted to load the single sheet. I see no reason why the printer could not be designed to pull the first page from the rear feed when it has one loaded, and ignore it otherwise, which my laser printers have done for two decades.

Awesome connectivity is an impressive capability of the XP-810. I can email a .pdf or photo to the printer using an email address I was able to specify (@print.epsonconnect.com) and I can restrict that to approved senders. I will be notified via email if the print is successful or has an error. Google Cloud Print and Apple Airprint are also supported. For scanning input to the cloud, I can put documents directly into any of these, chosen from the device control panel: Evernote, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box. Scan-to, and print-from, SD cards and USB devices are also welcome options.

Installation and updates went well, from the included CD for my first PC, then from the downloaded "Driver and Utilities Combo Package" for two others. The 2nd and 3rd installs were done choosing "the printer is already on my network" when prompted during software install. Printer firmware updates are easily accomplished from a browser window. I did find in the "Epson Connect" web site phase of the installation that my printer was thought to be in the wrong time zone, though verifying that setting was not part of the installation instructions.

Now I turn to the weaknesses I perceived, then myths in other reviews that concerned me.

While installation went well, there were two things to note. First, there is not a single point of control for managing this device. Like other printers, some settings are made in printer properties, and some in device properties. But Epson has four more control points. One is the Epson Status Monitor in the System Tray of the Windows Taskbar. Another is the Epson Connect web site for managing remote print and cloud scanning. A third is to access the printer from a browser by its TCP/IP address on your network, e.g. http://nnn.nnn.n.nnn/, for Google Cloud Print setup and other functions. The printer LCD is also a control point, of course. When needing to change a function or a setting, it is difficult to know where that setting might be managed.

The second installation quirk is around Windows 8.1. At first glance I was awed that Windows 8.1 had installed my printer when it was discovered on the wireless network - - plug and play! I didn't need to run installation software at all - - so I thought! Yes, Win8 installed the "printer." If I wanted scanning, faxing, or any other capabilities of the device, I needed to go through the entire installation process like any other OS. At least that worked quite flawlessly.

The printer is far too plastic, like the Artisan before it. I considered buying a Canon that was targeted for business users and weighed 20 percent more, hoping to get more solid construction. There are many, many pieces of tape on the outside and inside that have to be removed during installation, not giving confidence that the printer will hold itself together. Transporting the printer "requires" that one piece of tape inside be put back in place over the ink cartridges and another between the housing and scanner glass, both of which are unlikely to happen for most users.

The ink cartridges with plastic caps are a downgrade in design, it seems. As predicted by other reviews, ink transferred to my fingers during the very first installation, and that is nearly unavoidable. The regular black ink cartridge (not the photo black) is shaken prior to installation. Strange, awkward, and I found no guidelines for how much shaking.

Also regarding ink, I wanted the XL cartridge option, which this printer had but others did not. I also wanted multi-pack purchasing at my local office supplies store. Only upon close inspection did I find that the "XL Multi-pack" of 5 inks has just ONE XL cartridge - the regular black ink! The photo black and the CMY inks of the multi-pack are standard cartridges, not XL. Those four can be purchased separately as XL, though negating the value of a multi-pack.

The only envelope size supported is #10 business envelopes. At least that is the specification for Cassette 2 (lower cassette); I hope other sizes will be supported from the rear sheet feed.

I wanted the XP-810 connection options for wireless, USB, and (wired) Ethernet. I don't know why, but wireless is disabled if you plug to a PC via USB. Thus, if you need wireless, you should expect to use wireless for every PC in your home or office. It seems to me that a local USB printer and wireless to the rest of the installation should be possible. Wifi Direct connectivity is also supported, but also disables regular Wifi when it is in use.

Myth 1, output tray: Said in many reviews to be a concern, I find it is one of the more sturdy aspects of the device, with a far more solid feel than the Artisan.

Myth 2, ink outages: Some reviews indicate the printer stops when one color cartridge is empty. Actually, it will continue to print if you select "grayscale." Those reporting that it won't work may have found that copying will not work without one color of ink, but the printer doesn't completely shut down. Similarly, some reviews indicate you can't print when black ink is out, but when printing from a PC you are prompted when the black ink is extremely low (not at the first warning) and have the option to let the XP-810 mix colors to create black until you can replace the black cartridge, at which time it returns to using the black. (This color-substitute for black happens if the "Epson Status Monitor" software is enabled, which you are prompted to do often.)

All-in-all, an excellent printer choice for a home office with a need to print quality photos, many connectivity options, and good installation results.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 units and it is still not working, February 19, 2014
Niklas Johnsson (Santa Monica, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
To keep me from going postal on a printer (Office space style!) I am writing a rare product review while on hold with EPSON support...

SUMMARY: Printer broke. EPSON sent 2(!) replacement printers that did not work. Waiting for printer #4...

DETAILS:

I bought it in October 2013. Supposedly a consumer reports favorite. It worked quite nicely at first, except that it did require ink cartridge change after about 50 pages. (The support claimed this was a first-time thing as the ink was used to fill the pipes although I am not too convinced about that.).

In January 2014, it stopped working. The papers were no longer being pulled up from the tray. After a long trouble shooting session with EPSON phone support, they agreed to ship a replacement unit.

2nd unit arrives including new ink cartridges. This printer only printed blue. I called EPSON support again. After a long time on the phone they wanted to ship me a 3rd unit.

3rd unit arrives. They promised overnight, but it took 3 days. I am using all new cartridges that came in the box. It works for 20 (not more!) regular text pages. Then I get a message saying I need to replace the large black ink cartridge! I do so. It continues to work for black & white for another 5 pages. I try to do a color copy. Only some colors are present. I perform the "clean nozzle head" operation twice. It's better but still not OK. I am thinking EPSON supplied stale ink cartridges so now I replace all of them with new original cartridges. Same result. I call support. After some trouble shooting they want to send me a 4th unit.

At this point, I realize that the problem might be due to EPSON sending refurbished replacement units. Perhaps old ink is clogging the nozzles. I point that out and I ask for some kind of compensation. The rep contacts customer relations. That's where we are now....! Update: After 20 minute wait, I they promise to make an exception and -- ta-da -- actually send a new printer. They will also send 2 packs of cartridges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this printer, November 9, 2013
l love this printer. I had ordered an XP-800 for my parents so I could work there when traveling on visits, and found the downfall on that to only be that the paper tray would not retract on its own. This printer seems almost identical, except it does offer an option when turning the power off to close the paper tray. The quality of this item is outstanding, and the price was reasonable. No regrets here...very happy with this purchase so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars After a long search, February 25, 2014
Purchasing this printer was a long process. We had used Canon Pixma printers for the past 8 years and were satisfied with their text printing, media management and software. We were comfortable with the environment. Until the last few years when our MX880 and MP980 started spending most of their time in "ink management."

Well, back to the XP-810. We looked for an all-in-one that was reliable, quick starting, printed text legibly without bleeding. We wanted duplex and not excessive ink use. We thought we found that in the 810.

We are using the printer wirelessly, connected through WPA2 to our router. Set-up was quite easy and continues to work without issue. We are Apple Mac users, so we didn't even have to load the disk to have the software installed on the computer. We have printed a number of documents with the 810, some in duplex, some simplex. The print function worked flawlessly. Even though we used the printer quite heavily the past few weeks, we only used one black printer cartridge. We thought it was excellent consumption.

We tried AirPrint from our phones - worked fine with no setup. We have used the copy function, which worked fine.

I would have given the printer a 5-star, but we have not tried the scanner software. I need to see that before I make this a 5 star.

It is a small printer and not as robust as the Canon 880 or 980, but then it didn't come at their price either.

One final note. When we felt this was the printer for us, we were ready to order from Amazon. Unfortunately, the printer was offered through one of Amazon's resellers. We didn't buy through Amazon because the shipping was $27. If you feel like driving to Best Buy, print the page with Amazon's cost. Best Buy is honoring other retail prices - including Amazon's. We were able to get the printer at Amazon's price minus the $27 shipping charge. Sales tax was not an option as we would have had to pay it anyway.

I hope this helps someone looking for an all-in-one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revised Review, January 13, 2014
In all fairness, I feel that I should revise my initial review of this item now that I have gained some experience with it. First, I made the bold statement in my initial review that this printer was more of an "ink hog" than my Canon MX870. Now that I have more track time with the XP-810, I don't feel that was a fair statement. In fact, the printer appears to be quite conservative in its ink usage. I've never known with any certainty if printer manufacturers' supply you with full ink cartridges when you first buy a printer because I've heard it both ways. The other comment I made about having to stand by the printer and load the paper and push the print button manually on the LCD panel to do a rear feed is still somewhat of a nuisance but not to the degree I first commented. In summary, I find this to be an excellent printer as I think can be told by the way it is holding its price since its release. I was lucky to pay $149.99 on CyberMonday but I think it is still worth the latest price I saw on Amazon of around $157 + $16 shipping. In other words, even at that price, it's a good value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works Great - When It Works, March 27, 2014
John Barstow (Arcata, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had an XP-800 (which appears to be almost identical to the XP-810) for about a year now. I wish I had read the one-star reviews before buying. The printing quality is very nice, the small size is convenient as are the two paper trays. I like the scanner and its software. I have not had any software or mechanical problems with mine, but clogging of the print head makes it only intermittently usable - and black document printing is only a distant memory. I just now printed a photo quality print, but I would not bet that it will do that tomorrow. It drinks ink! I have used none but Epson cartridges, and it clogs anyway. The last time I ran the head cleaning utility half the ink in brand new cartridges was consumed. (Multiple cleanings were needed in this instance.) The black is still totally clogged. Maybe it would work ok if it was used more often. I have probably printed 100 4x6 photo prints in a year. I have started to turn it on and run a nozzle check every day or two, and the color inks remain ok. Of course, this is using up the ink! The black is still absent. Most of my printing is documents, so I bought an inexpensive laser printer which has been entirely satisfactory. I will continue to use the XP-800 for scanning and printing pictures as long as possible, and if I get another color printer, I will do my homework more carefully.

Rate and Discover Movies