5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Picture
Published on November 12, 2011 by Susan

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't a good product
I purchased the EX 5210 two years ago and we used it on the average of once every other month for approximately 2 hours each time or approximately 24-28 hours of total operating time. One of the LED boards went out of it and I was told by the service center person not to send it because I could probably buy a new one for about $100 dollars more than what it would cost to...
Published 7 months ago by Sandog57

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Picture, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Epson EX5210 Projector (Portable XGA 3LCD, 2800 lumens color brightness, 2800 lumens white brightness, HDMI, rapid setup) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The projector came packaged securely and upon opening the box the projector was in its own case. The case itself has some padding around it and a side pocket for the remote and whatever you would wish to carry. I was very impressed with the projector itself because of the shiny black cover with white embossed letters showing the ports and all the controls. I found a wall that I could use for the projector, set up a little table about 9 feet away and used the quick guide to get started. If you have a computer and/or satellite receiver you'll recognize all the ports on the back; a very straight forward setup. The first thing I tried was the USB thumb drive filled with pictures of fractals. Because I'm not in business, and I don't have presentations, I wanted something that would have bright colors, distinct lines and shapes to see how the projector projected them. I am projecting on a light beige and lightly textured wall and not a screen so I was wondering how this would turn out. When I pushed the button on the remote the projector came up with its logo and automatically found the USB thumb drive that I inserted in the back. I had originally copied the folder of fractals to the thumb drive and then I decided to cut and paste all the pictures to the thumb drive not knowing if the the projector would recognize the folder or not. When the picture came on the wall, there was the folder and all the pictures. So I guess you could keep your presentation in a folder and open it, just like it was on the computer. I scrolled through each and every one of the pictures looking for the clarity of the colors, shapes, and the lines and was very impressed especially being on a house wall. They were very distinct and clear. Of course using the telephoto ring and the ring for focusing helps make this all possible. So you can only imagine how this would look on a screen that was specifically built for projectors. The projector gives you options, I'm sure as other ones do, for slideshows and to freeze the picture when necessary. Also you could add audio to your presentation, because there is a speaker in the projector that is loud enough for everyone to hear. There are so many adjustments that are too numerous to mention that I am going to include a link so that you can pick up the user guide in PDF form and learn more about it. [...]

And now the fun begins. Because one of the ports in the back is HDMI, I brought out my netbook with a movie on it to see how it would play and sound. With the projector 9 feet back from the wall you have about a 100 inch desktop. Because I connected the projector using the HDMI port all the sound was only able to come out of the projector speaker. There are no provisions for a home entertainment setup. The movie we watched was "Scared Shrekless", which is about 19 minutes long. The picture was great, and the sound was loud enough to enjoy the movie. That's why I said for presentation everyone would hear it clearly.

I brought out an older desktop that had surround sound capabilities and hooked it up to the VGA port on both the computer and the projector. I thought I would take advantage of it to the best of it's ability. After hooking everything up, including the surround sound, the next viewing was Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows-part one. Not quite like going to the theater but pretty close. Of course the movie is in widescreen, so measuring diagonally we were watching an 80 inch screen. And of course with the surround sound, we were *there*.

Now granted, this projector wasn't made for home theater entertainment, but if you are taking this to the office and then home again the possibilities are endless. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if you can watch a movie with such clarity, that a presentation should be fantastic. When this projector is taken out of it's case it just says class.

P.S. Concerts are WOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Size, Easy Setup, Great Image, October 28, 2011
wbentrim (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Epson EX5210 MultiMedia Projector

It is probably overstating that I am in love but this is one sweet projector. I pulled it out of the box, read the quick start guide and in a matter of minutes had my laptop screen up to big screen size! Not only that but within that initial 15 minutes I had YouTube videos running on my wall, in a very well light (sunlight bright) room. Within the first 30 minutes I was running Ice Age and feeling pretty darn chipper about the ease of use of this very portable projector.

I'm retired so I don't need this for business. I will use it for presentations now and again but I am more excited about using it as a big screen TV on the occasional shore trip where there are just little tube type TVs. I'm also looking forward to running an outside film fest for the grandkids on the side of the house.

The sound is adequate on the projector but you probably will want to put something beefier on the source to give you better sound. The on screen menu and source selection was self evident and easy to use. Focus and orientation were also a piece of cake. Is it clear I really liked this little fellow? Admittedly I haven't played with one lately but his puppy beats the bejabbers out of the ones I have used previously. Clarity is amazing on a flat white wall, I have to assume a screen would be even better.

It comes with a nice padded case. My only suggestion would be to have another pocket on the case for the cables. It came with VGA and USB, I added to it an SVHS and component, with the power cable you have a bunch of wire, an extra pocket on the case would be handy. If you are actually traveling with this, I'm sure you have a spare pocket on your laptop case for the projector cables.

To summarize, this was extremely easy to setup and get working in a astoundingly short time. I am really going to enjoy using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with a few short comings, April 16, 2012
Dd (JACKSON, MS, US) - See all my reviews
Bought this to use in a classroom. Initially it wasn't bright enough to use without the classroom lights turned off. However, aftter adjusting the "brightness" level we were able to leave the lights on. By the way, adjustments in the menu selections can be done on the projector, but I found it a lot easier to use the remote.

Installed the USB software that came on the CD and hooked up the USB cable from the laptop to the projector. Brought up a Powerpoint presentation and quickly confirmed my hopes that the included remote for the projector is able to run the Powerpoint presentation. If this is the only thing you will be using the projector for, then there is no need to buy another "wireless mouse." HOWEVER, it will not work with PowerDVD.

If showing videos, then don't use the USB cable. The video showed fine on the laptop screen, however it was stuttering/jerky on the projector. Plugged in the VGA cable and everything ran smoothly.

Comes with VGA, USB and "standard" electrical power cable. (The same type of cable most monitors and desktop computers user. This makes it easy to find a quick replacement in case you forgot yours at home.) The USB cable is also a standard type A on one end and type B on the other. It's nice to know that I won't have to order special cables if one is damaged or lost. Keystone adjustment for Vertical and Horizontal. Has a focus and wide/telephoto adjustment. Under the menu option you can see how many hours the projector has on the bulb. Might come in handy to give you a little warning that you need to order a new one.

Con: Turns off quickly and the fan stops. However, the device still feels hot to the touch. I can see this as a positive if you need to unplug and move it to another location quickly, but I would prefer an option to keep the fan running to continue to cool the bulb down. I don't like putting the projector back in the bag when it's still hot, so I have to wait even longer than if the fan was cooling it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wish I Could Give This 10 Stars, November 5, 2011
Awesome!

That's the only word that fully describes this projector from Epson. With a small footprint and super easy to set up, this projector will do almost anything you ask of it.

I first connected this to my laptop using the included USB cord. It immediately became a second monitor displayed on an old projector screen. Ditto for when I used it with the included VGA cord. For presentations, along with the remote, I can see this being used quite often in an office or conference setting.

But where this projector shines is with the use of an HDMI cable. You want HD video, you've got it. So impressed with the output, the better half and I spent three days fabricating a decent screen to show movies on (and yes, this meant major changes to our living room setup). For the last week, we've watched both Blu-Ray and regular DVDs on this projector and we've yet not turned to each other and said "Awesome!" at least once.

So whether you need a great portable projector for work (and yes, this does include cables and a tote bag) or you want to permanently set it up at home for the ultimate movie experience, you cannot go wrong with this model.

4.0 out of 5 stars works as expected, January 20, 2012
The EX5210 has given the image quality, minimal noise and excellent features it has promised. I found the HDMI connection a great way to show YouTube videos in class without the lag you may see just using the USB or traditional pin plug.
The remote control works as a mouse as promised. You have full control over the projector. The challenge I've had was selecting the source for sound when I use external speakers I would normally plug into the sound puka on the netbook or laptop. The projector appears to take the sound control away from the user, but it can be wrestled back. I've purchased an adaptor to permit the projector the control is seems to need so badly.

Image quality is great, being XGA and the ability to select the projection screen type (blackboard/whiteboard, professonal screet, etc.) is a good feature.

So far quite happy with the projector.

I've used it with an older Dell Inspiron 630M and it is partnered with an ACER Aspire One 722 netbook. The Acer has an HDMI port, the Dell does not.
Thus far I have used it in a small conference room with students sitting next to the projector and there was no complaint of noise, heat or intrusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and easy, October 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although most projectors still have RCA jacks and connectors, HDMI connection provide the best audio and video experience. This compact XGA projector has a bright 2800 lumens output. For those who don't carry HDMI cables there is a USB jack which allows for instant connectivity from a laptop. The remote has a built in pointer and a zoom feature which is useful in making presentations with a minim of fuss.

This is a quality projector and is well suited for business and trial presentations. It works well off an iPad 2 with Apple's GSI Quality iPad To HDMI Cable Adapter For Apple iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 And iTouch - Connect iPad To HDTV Screen. This projector and a tablet like the iPad provides for quick set up and slide management.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trustworthy companion for any consultant, January 29, 2012
In our business consultancy firm with 15 professionals, doing presentations are 60% of our activities.
This is our 8th Epson Projector and we love them. In fact we just bought another EX5210 as a backup.
Easy to install, it accepts any type/brand of laptop graphics. Most of our clients react with a 'wow' when they see the quality and sharpness of the projected data/colors. Important reason for choosing this projector is the low noise.
This machine is a consultants best friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Projector!, November 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was able to connect this to my macbook pro and also my ipad with no problems. I use it for work and also for fun at home. Very bright, good res and love the HDMI input!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, great for small or medium church setting!, April 10, 2012
I purchased this projector because the one my church had previously used was just not bright enough to be clear on sunlit days. I was skeptical but the projector, using an HDMI link to my computer, was SO MUCH BRIGHTER and was VERY easy to read! Even my seniors at church were able to read the words for our communion service without struggling over the hymnal small print! I am glad that it has been so easy to work with, also, and the set-up and takedown (we have no permanent site for it in our sanctuary...yet) was impressive.
I heartily recommend this product for similar circumstances!

4.0 out of 5 stars I own a hotel and needed it for our meeting room... GREAT more then i expected !!! also bought a 2nd which is a model up BETTER!, March 11, 2012
i bought this one for our smaller room , with a 70 in screen and the next model up with a 105in screen , btw i own a hotel and this thing is used from 6-9pm mon-fri for classes we host and then usually one or the other for our guests who usually reserve one for a few hours earlier in the day whether it be to watch hd movies or connect and stream from their laptop or even sometimes kids playing xbox ... the best part is you connect whatever and it just starts , easy to use controls , speakers which are efficient enough already built in , can connect others also ... to be simple its plug and play and thats what you need when so many people of different walks of life are using them for different reasons... the colors are CRAZY good , its light and comes with a bag so we pack it up and put it behind our front desk til request the next morning , came with a bunch of extra stuff , just bought an hd cable and im good to go. This is GOOD!!! foreal , also the one up model is WAYYY better if you have an extra $150 to spend. Came 3 days after order with the free shipping which said 5-7 days ... freaking amazing... i hope this comment doesnt jinx its performance or it in general , i just always read comments from other buyers and this is the first one i am posting ... this is how good it is. Amazon , tax free .... ohh babay !!!