5.0 out of 5 stars Good for light use.
Published 21 months ago by norcal

1.0 out of 5 stars rip off
Published 16 months ago by Stephen Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for light use., March 3, 2013
This review is from: Epson Expression Home XP-300 Small-In-One Printer (Electronics)
Bought the Epson XP-300 to print out documents and forms. And it does quite well. The 8.7 ISO ppm in the description is about right. It took the printer 7 seconds to print a full page black and white 600 word/3200 character document. So 7 seconds divided in 60 seconds comes out to about 8.6 which is close to 8.7. Color printing was actually 3.3 instead of 4.6 ISO ppm; not a deal breaker for me because that's not what I got this printer for. Was able to hook it up to my desktop with a usb cable(not included) and wirelessly to my laptop and Galaxy S2 in about 30 minutes.

I bought this from Walmart beginning of the month for $59 even after seeing all the horrible reviews on here. I checked the vendors selling this printer on amazon and none except one had at least 50 reviews as a seller. I NEVER buy from a seller that doesn't have at least a few thousand positive reviews. You never know what you're getting, could be refurbished or returned printers which leads to unhappy customers when their product goes kaput. ALWAYS CHECK THE SELLER BEFORE BUYING.

Anyway if you have a home office and print a lot or looking to print many colored pages and photos as well, invest in a better and faster printer.

Will update this review after few weeks of use.

1.0 out of 5 stars rip off, August 15, 2013
This printer has been the worst I ever bought. Especially infuriating is that the printer will not allow you to print black and white copies unless you replace all color ink cartridges. It's their way of forcing you to buy cartridges that are unnecessary. The color cartridges run out of ink before you've copied even 5 pages with the color. It malfunctions constantly. It only manages to print without error or demanding new cartridges for maybe a couple of pages at a time. It's the worst. Avoid it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take bad reviews like a grain of salt, April 3, 2013
Got this printer for Christmas from my husband and love it. I've printed 15 birthday invitations, 25 baby shower invitations (front and back) at least 100 coupons, 2 wills and other various documents, I am still using the original ink cartridges. Love the wi-fi and it's quick to print.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chandu, October 30, 2013
It is the worst printer I found ever. Inks leaking badly. The printing quality is really bad. After changes with new catridges, if you try to print black, it comes out gray colored prints. Not a good product.

Also I placed order for new unit through Amazon, I received used printer with ink leaking inside. The old cartridges were installed inside the printer and leaking all over. I am not happy with the service. I placed order for new printer, I received old used printer. Be careul.

1.0 out of 5 stars I've replaced the ink 3 times for less than 100 documents printed, October 28, 2013
Oh and it won't print at all if it's out of any color, even if you just want a black document and the black ink is full. Did I mention the ink is ridiculously expensive, of course all printer ink is but Epson seems to be taking it to a new level, about half the price of the printer for each color refill and a quarter for a black refill. It will also need regular alignment and nozzle cleaning, so that after 20 pages printed for testing/cleaning you can not actually print your black and white document because cyan is too low on toner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Even Fair!, March 5, 2014
Elyce "phasehead" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I went from the best printer I had- also an Epson- to the absolute worst EVER. And that was only because they discontinued the previous one. I've used this printer for about 2 years now, although I've wanted to replace it much sooner. I cannot understand why EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to print I have to clean the heads, more than once. What is it doing in the interim? I think I would have more patience if that occurred as a result of printing a lot, rather than rarely. I was always frustrated with the print quality, it was never crisp and professional looking. Just because someone chooses a "home" printer over a larger professional one doesn't mean they want their prints to look like crap. The printer I had prior worked extremely well for printing headshots (a big money saver for an actor), but this piece of poo forced me to get them printed professionally instead (not that that's a bad thing per se). Considering that I have to replace the ink as if I am actually printing high quality headshots on a regular basis makes it extra annoying. How dare they stop making one of the best and put this out instead! I have been a loyal Epson customer, straying only when a Dell printer was given to me for free. All money I have ever spent on a printer has gone towards Epson. I don't even care to try another version at this point. They should be ashamed of themselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of rip off, October 3, 2013
I print only in Black, very rarely using the Color cartridges. I kept getting an obnoxious "pop up" of ink levels that indicated my Color ink cartridges were low. It turn out that every time the print head self cleans, it uses colored ink, in addition to the black ink cartridge. Don't buy this printer if you only plan to primarily use the Black ink. It set up so you have to replace the three "unused" color cartridges along with the black cartridge when you run out of black ink. This is a major rip off which I haven't found in the other printers I have used. Buyer beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of s#it., December 29, 2013
Cheaply made, wont print a whole page. You get what you pay for. Lost my receipt, This will be the last Epson printer I buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't print black, July 12, 2014
This is the worst home printer I have ever had. The first one quit printing black after about a month. I called Epson and they sent me another one. It worked for a while then it did the same thing. It doesn't matter if you use Epson cartridges or off brand, it still won't work. I should have bought another Canon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Purchase software, drivers, quality just don't work with this unit, January 13, 2014
The first time I started the printer everything appeared to work correctly, the next time I had to print I had to reinstall drivers because the epson printer was no longer showing up on the network. This is an ongoing problem, epson drivers just don't seem to work well with all the OS's in our house from Vista, Win7 and Win8.1. It's a constant battle to get something printed. It's not a 'just click print' and your done. It's more of a, "ok let me see if the network sees the printer, ok better reinstall the driver, ok now let me print, wait it needs a nozzle check, but first I need to update the software, now I can print, why is it off center after the update" kind of printer.

The second issue is the printing itself. Filling the printer is easy, but getting the printer to print a CLEAN, NO LINE through image- quality is a pain. If you don't printer after a couple days then you have to perform a nozzle check EACH TIME before printing with this XP-300 or you will get lines through your images and text. FYI it takes allot of ink to clean the nozzles, even if you just want the BLACK nozzle check, the printer checks them all. After you finally get the lines to go away you're still left with this 'ink splat' over the page like there are colored hairs rubbing the page as it comes out of the printer.

The third issue is the software. The updates for this XP-300 take way to long, it's as if I'm updating to a new OS or something. The constant clicking for each item to update (printer, scanner, e-print) means you have to sit in front of the PC to make sure it gets updated at somewhat of a reasonable time (are you sure you want to update printer, are you sure you want to update scanner) even after you selected YES for each item. Speaking of clicking: if I select 'start' to start the nozzle check, I should not have another window pop up telling me to start AGAIN! Epson needs to work on it's software.

Epson Expression Home XP-300 Small-In-One Printer