5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photo quality
Published on March 26, 2010 by InKC

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware -- Real World Usage = Around $1.00 a Print
Published on April 2, 2012 by Fred

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware -- Real World Usage = Around $1.00 a Print, April 2, 2012
This review is from: Epson PictureMate Charm Photo Printer (C11CA56203) (Office Product)
Ok, I've been an epson user for over 15 years, owning more than 20 epson printers for my home and graphic design business. Epson has always tried, and in most cases succeeded, in offering the best print quality at each price range. The reliability, consumables cost and customer support of their products has ranged from just ok to horrible, depending on the product and which way the wind was blowing at Epson.

This little printer indeed produces stunning prints right out of the box. But your smile will dim a bit when you realize that each ink cartridge runs out about 3/4 of the way through the provided paper in each pack, and that separate cartridges cannot be purchased. Oh well, so it's really more like 40 cents a print, instead of the 25 cents advertised. You can live with that, right? But you let the printer sit a few days, maybe even a few weeks without printing anything. Then you try to print again and the photos come out looking a horrible, banded mess. So you run a test pattern and clean the print heads -- usually between 2 and 5 times before a clean pattern prints out again. But you then find out each cleaning cycle drains the cartridge tremendously, so much that a brand new cartridge will only yield around 40 prints (which =$1.00 a print!!) if the cleaning cycle is used even 3 times, which seems to be absolutely necessary whenever the printer sites idle for more than a day.

In short, this printer seduces you with beauty, then steals your wallet. I have a stack of unused photo paper over a foot high, but I'm always out of ink! Of course, Epson could sell a cleaning cartridge for this, or sell the ink cartridges separately, or even expand the ink capacity, or even just advertise the real amount on images you'll get from each pack. But then they would miss out on all that glorious revenue, and they know you won't raise a big fuss over such a small initial investment (like the people who bought their much more expensive pro printers). You'll just stop using it and go back to sending out for prints. So I guess this negative review is for the people who have not bought one yet, and for the extremely remote chance that epson reads amazon reviews and then decides to do the right thing an offer solo replacement cartridges for us poor suckers who did buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photo quality, March 26, 2010
InKC (Kansas City) - See all my reviews
Photo quality is the most important thing to me. I'm making a photo album of my 'trip of a lifetime' and needed the flexibility of printing photos immediately and printing in different sizes, etc. I shot high-resolution photos on the trip. The photo quality from this printer is as good as I get at my local Fox Photo (high quality photo printer). The images are sharp and have excellent color saturation without beeing over-saturated and fake looking. I had some of the photos printed at Walmart as soon as I got back (first time I used them) and was very disappointed. The cost of print on this printer is pretty low also - .25 I have read. The first ink cartridge gets used up pretty quickly, 50 photos or so. Mostly it is priming the printer. Much better life on the second cartridge onward. I'm getting too wordy - anyway, I would definately buy this printer again, no question about it.

2.0 out of 5 stars quality prints BUT....., June 17, 2012
The Epson Charm does print quality nice looking photos....the PROBLEMS are:
1. The printing is MUCH SLOWER than advertised and SLOWER than the Canon Selphy.
2. It prints only from memory cards or directly from the camera (which on some of my camera's it didn't recognize the device and wouldn't print.)
3. It does NOT print from a USB memory card.
4. You must purchase an additional double ended USB cable in order to print pictures from your computer and if you have a Mac, this still might not work. It works on some of our Macbooks but not others.
5. It doesn't have as many print options as the Canon Selphy.
6. It advertises that it prints a picture in 47 seconds...when connected via USB directly to a DSLR camera, it took exactly 3m17s to print 1 bordered 4x6 pictures.
7. It takes 1m36s to print directly from a SD card to print 1 bordered 4x6.
8. To print a 8 mini wallet 4x6 directly from a SD card, it took 8m43s

I purchased the Canon Selphy and tried it out in direct comparison to the Epson Charm. I wanted the Epson Charm mostly because of the name as Epson makes quality photo printers and the Epson feels and looks of better quality than the Canon Selphy. The Canon Selphy is superior to the Epson in that it prints easily from a USB memory card, your camera or your macbook computer and it is faster. The Selphy takes 2m47s to print a 8 mini wallet on 4x6 and 56s for a 4x6 bordered picture when plugged directly into the camera via a USB. I did not try directly with a SD card but imagine it would be less time.

The bottom line is...this is an excellent printer if you are printing directly from your camera or your camera's memory card and have the time to wait for the picture. The quality of the photographs via the Canon and the Epson are the same. Nice, bright vivid colors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest little printer I have ever used!, April 22, 2010
I just received my printer yesterday afternoon from Amazon and in about 20 minutes I was printing some of the greatest 4x6 pictures that I have ever printed!! I have always been an HP printer person - but just got tired of always having to buy more ink cartridges - and they are not cheap! So I figured up the cost of a print on glossy paper with this printer and looks like it will be about 27 cents per picture - that is about as cheap as I can take a disk to WalMart or Sam's and get them done - and the picture quality is just as good - maybe better. I still have my HP printer for those "bigger" prints that I need - but in my opinion you just can't beat this little printer for 4x6 and smaller prints, and it is so cute! I might have to get the rechargeable battery so I can take it to parties and things to give prints away - at that price it is totally doable.

CRB

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my project, May 1, 2010
I bought this printer after reading reviews about it and other portable photo printers. I'm a photographer and I use this printer to print on-location event portraits. The quality and colors of the photos are wonderful. I use several SD ards and take 10 images per SD card, print directly from the card and recycle the card. Works great and the people love having the momento from the event.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Seniors!, December 30, 2009
This was purchased as a gift for my Senior parents. Easy to use for people who are NOT techno savy. Creates beautiful prints! Small and portable!

2.0 out of 5 stars You have to buy paper every time, September 5, 2011
Mark Kochvar (Export, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I was very disappointed to learn that there is no way to buy only ink refills for this printer. They only sell combination packs with ink and paper. There is some convoluted process to get a refund for unused paper but it is very inconvenient. Why not just sell the ink cartridges separately like any other printer?

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality and strength of images, April 24, 2010
I agonized about this decision for over a month reading a zillion reviews. Finally we bought this... and it's AWESOME! Better than we hoped! Not just the quality, but the pictures really are waterproof (we left one in a pot of water overnight to see) and seem really rugged (we tried to scratch off the image and it didn't work). We are using them to make postcards (we use spray-on elmers glue and pop on a piece of 4x6 card stock and... that's it) The quality is so far beyond what we were paying at the drugstore that the price difference per image feels totally worth it. The ONLY reason I'm not giving 5 stars is because I wish the screen was a bit bigger... but I guess that would have made the printer more expensive... and then I might not have bought it. The other thing I like about it is that it's very fast to get TO the pitcture that you want to print... just pop in the camera's card and it goes through the images and then you choose one and pop it prints. But it IS annoying that you can't really see the quality of your picture on the crappy screen... you have to have decided on the image on the camera (or on your computer, I guess, but that would take time). I also really like that it is so very very small and has a handle and is all "protected" when it's closed. It's easy to kind of throw around (we're gentle, but... you know.. we stuff it places). Bottom line.. I think anyone would be very happy with this. I'll never be able to go back to inkjet pictures. It's the perfect size for fast postcard printing which brings smiles to my granmother and it's crazy fast... but it has a crappy screen, but I don't really care so much about that. If this printer broke I would immediately buy another one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disposable, February 2, 2011
TheMrszzz (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I have the PM 240, which is an older version of the PictureMate, but it has all the same components. It worked great for about a year, but over time the nozzles started clogging, until it finally stopped printing anything.

The Auto-cleaning function limits you to a certain number of cleans per ink cartridge, forcing you to purchase another cartridge if you need additional cleaning. And the Auto-clean function uses a LOT of ink.

Nothing inside is user-serviceable, so when the ink pad gets full, you can't just open it and drain it yourself. If it's not reset by an Epson tech, it won't let you print whether its cleaned or not. Also you can't clean the print heads if they get dirty, which is what happened in my case.

The good news is that it prints beautiful photos, and with the little battery add-on, you can take it with you to print on the go. The battery lasts for about an hour of printing, and each print takes about 40+ seconds, depending on the detail.

Bottom line, it's a nice photo printer and does a good job, but because you cannot clean it yourself or drain the waste ink container, consider it "disposable". At some point you'll have to take it to an Epson center for expensive service, or just buy a new one (which is what I did, but I chose a different brand).

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless after two months, July 20, 2012
Unfortunately for me I seem to have received one of their defects, because after only two months of sporadic use it doesn't function properly. Lines keep showing up on the pictures, and I followed directions to clean/clear all issues to no avail. No matter what I did and after numerous attempts, the lines still remain of all the printed photos. At this point I guess I'm screwed, since they'll just charge me a good amount to have it fixed. You win some and lose some.

Epson PictureMate Charm Photo Printer (C11CA56203)
$199.99 $184.99