Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now HTL

on November 2, 2010
[UPDATE November 2014 - It has been 4 years since I first wrote my review of the Epson 8350. The good news is that I have nothing to report other than the projector is working as well as it was in November 2010. I haven't had to replace a lamp (bulb) in the interim. The Epson 8350 is still a current model and it is still highly rated at ProjectorCentral. It has gone down in price since I initially reviewed it and is now readily available for under a grand. I just want to mention one more thing on this update. User reviews on Amazon are often "borrowed" by third party sites. I saw a version of this review on another site which seemed to have been Google-translated into a different language and then Google-translated back into English, the title: "The Fresh Cornerstone of the Gentleman Cavern". I wish I had a "Gentleman Cavern".[

I snatched up this projector as soon as I could after it was introduced (October 2010). I felt confident buying a brand new product because this projector is an evolution of the highly regarded 8100 from last year. The 8100 brought 1080P resolution to the mainstream of the home projector market. For the same price or lower, the 8350 improves upon the 8100 in several areas. First, it has inorganic rather than organic LCD panels. This feature suddenly became important to me when my six year old Sanyo PLV-Z2's blue panel gave out. I found out that (eventual) blue panel failure is a common problem with the old Sanyo's organic panels. Inorganic panels are more stable and heat-resistant. In addition to the inorganic panels, the 8350 is brighter than the 8100 and it has a higher contrast ratio (black/white).

Since most people (including me) won't be comparing projectors side-by-side, I'll tell you what's likely to be important to somebody considering a home theater projector purchase. Placement flexibility is very important to home projector buyers on a budget. If you have to pay someone to do a ceiling installation, you can pay half this projector's list price just for the installation. The Epson 8350 has a long 2.1 power zoom lens and vertical and horizontal lens shift. What this means is that you can likely put the projector on a bookcase shelf at the side of a room 10-15 feet away from your projection wall or screen and skip any formal installation whatsoever. The second important feature is brightness. Unlike my old projector, the new Epson is bright enough to project a good picture with room lights on. It can easily substitute for a 60 inch flat panel television, with modest light control measures. With the lights off, you can crank the image up to 200 inches if you have the space. (By the way, I've never bothered with getting a screen. I don't even use a white wall. I project onto a tan wall, and the picture is fine.)

The biggest marketing feature of this projector is its 1080P native resolution. It looks good. I was a little surprised that 1080P didn't make as much of a difference as I expected, but it looks good. I didn't really have to make many changes to the default settings to get a picture of my liking.

I have only used the projector with HDMI input. Other inputs are available - see the product description for details. Kudos to Epson for including a LIGHTED remote. I don't know why all projector remotes aren't lighted. The projector is very quiet. The advertised lamp (bulb) light is 4,000 hours. That will mean several years of use for an average buyer. There is one feature that's not particularly convenient, and that is size. This projector is surprisingly large. You really notice it in the store if it is positioned next to business-class projectors. In the business niche size (small) and light output/dollar are key features. Business projectors don't have the lens shift and zoom flexibility of the 8350. Business projectors typically have lower resolution, and they are louder than the 8350. If you are looking for a projector to carry with you to business meetings and to sometimes use at home for movies there are probably better (lighter and cheaper) choices; however for home use the Epson 8350 is hard to beat.

Finally, I want to remind people who have never purchased a home theater projector that you have to have a source for the picture to be fed to the projector. I use a Playstation3 and a stand-alone HDTV tuner (hard to find except online) plugged into an Onkyo home theater receiver. You should budget for a home theater receiver (receivers with speakers are called "home theater in a box" or HTIB) that has HDMI in and out, preferably at least 3 inputs and 2 outputs. It's best to rig things so that everything goes into the receiver, and then one HDMI cable goes from the receiver to the projector. It is a lot cheaper to get your HDMI cables online.

In conclusion, the Epson 8350 can be thought of as a tweaked "next year's model" of the 8100. Since the 8100 got the core features right, not much improvement was needed. Epson apparently controlled the inventory of the 8100s pretty well. After the 8350 was released, I looked for blow-out deals on the 8100 and didn't find any. You can pay just as much for the outgoing 8100 as the 8350. You might as well get the newer model.

SUPPLEMENT 12/28/2010 - Using a projector for motion gaming.

I've had people ask me how you can use a projector to play Wii games. Remember, with a home theater projector, the projector is (usually) behind you, not in front of you like a television, so you can't put the sensor bar on the projector. The answer is quite simple, and that is to use an audio-video receiver or a dedicated HTIB receiver. You plug the console into the receiver just like you would plug it into your television. The receiver will either be in front of you or close enough to the front that you can run the game's sensor cable to game console without any improvised wiring. Wii games are quite fun blown up to wall size, even though the Wii is not a high definition device. PS3 games and BluRay movies on the Playstation 3 look fantastic. I don't have an XBOX 360, but if you want to give me one, I'll be happy to write about it.

UPDATE 5/17/2011 - FIRST LAMP DIES. My first lamp (bulb) just burnt out. If this becomes a repeated thing, it will justify a lower rating. The lamp had under 700 hours, well under the 4000 hour rating. It seems like the official Epson replacement lamp is hard to find in stock, but I just ordered a third party replacement lamp, the Electrified ELPLP49 / V13H010L49 Replacement Lamp with Housing for Epson Projectors - 150 Day Warranty which is apparently in stock. Once I get a chance to install it, I will update this review.

UPDATE 5/19/2011 Right after I put in the order for the replacement lamp, I remembered reading on AVS Forums that some projector buyers from various manufacturers who experienced premature lamp failure sometimes got goodwill replacements even when the lamps were technically out of warranty. I emailed Epson about the problem, and in less than 24 hours, they responded via email that they would ship a replacement lamp. I'll never know whether Epson was influenced by the fact that I have publicly described my experience with the projector here ever since I got it. I'm sure it didn't hurt. It was a show of good customer service by Epson, nonetheless. I cancelled my Electrified replacement lamp before it shipped. I'll update when I receive the Epson replacement lamp. Remember, whatever projector you buy, if the lamp fails prematurely, go ahead and call or email the manufacturer and ask for a good will replacement. I'm sure you can't go to the well repeatedly, and most of them handle these on a case by case basis.

UPDATE 5/30/2011 Epson promptly sent me a replacement lamp as they promised. I installed it, and it works fine. 5 STARS FOR EPSON CUSTOMER SERVICE on this. The lamp wasn't technically under warranty but they replaced it as a customer satisfaction gesture. In comparison, the last time I had to call Sony about a warranty repair, they gave me the third degree.
5858 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2010
I purchased the Epson 8350 to replace a 5-year-old Sony 720p projector in my family room. Like all projectors, your application and results will depend strongly on your room choice and lighting conditions. My room is not a dedicated theater room, and has some ambient light during the day.

The Epson 8350 has exceeded my lofty expectations based on research and reviews prior to purchase. The 8350 is a 3LCD projector which uses Epsons upgraded inorganic LCD panels (the key improvement in this model over last year's excellent 8100 with cheaper organic LCD panels). As a result, the contrast and black levels on this projector are outstanding. Setup was fairly easy, and the extended range zoom on this model coupled with both horizontal and vertical lense-shift made placement a breeze. Do note, this model does not have digital keystone adjustment, so you must mount the projector level and then shift the image with the lense adjustments. I had to carefully level my ceiling mount to accomplish this.

The 8350 is a large projector, larger than the images suggest. This may be an issue for a shelf mount or if you place on a table. Image quality is simply stunning, especially at this price point. The 8350 has 5 main "modes" and each is suited to a different use and lighting condition. "Dynamic" mode is bright, very bright. On my Optoma GrayWolf II screen (a gray screen - highly recommended if you have ambient light and want to use during the day), at a 100" picture size, the image was bright and clear, even with ambient light from 4 windows at the side. "Living Room" mode is a touch less bright, but ups the contrast and gives slightly deeper blacks. For night-time viewing, the Cinema, Natural, and HDMI Color modes are all excellent. I found I used the HDMI color mode most often, as this gave excellent, black levels, good black level detail, and rich, deep colors. Switching between modes is a breeze, with a dedicated "color mode" button on the excellent (and lighted!) remote.

The projector focuses extremely well, and the image was even throughout the range, with crisp details corner to corner. A handy "pattern" button on the remote projects a nice, crisp pattern for focus and image centering. Screen-door effects were basically non-existant, and you could only make out the pixel matrix from less than about 3 feet from the screen. At 1080p, with a nice Blu Ray source, the result is stunning. Honestly, this setup with a good sound system is better than most theaters.

I had to adjust very little in the image to get a quality, natural result. The 8350 has plenty of adjustment settings if you wish, including advanced gamma and sharpness settings. A quick color temperature adjustment and enabling of the auto-iris was all I really needed. Eventually, I will calibrate the projector with a calibration DVD, but I'm very pleased with the results out-of-the-box.

A few other notes. The projector is quiet, nicely so. Fan noise is barely audible. The projector is large, and the mounting holes are fairly wide. My "universal" mount didn't quite reach all the mounting holes, and I had to custom-make a few mounting arms to get my mount to fit. Be sure to test your mount if you're buying both together. One small quibble: the power plug and HDMI ports on on opposite sides of the back panel. This required a large cable stretch, which looks a bit odd. I would prefer all ports to be closely spaced, so you can minimize cable clutter.

Overall, this is a stunning projector which is a new standard in value. With a sale price under $1300, this is a no brainer.Certainly, you can spend 2x to 10x more and obtain a slightly better picture. This projector is all about performance at an amazing price. Just 2 years ago, you'd have to pay well over $5000 to get a good 1080p projector. Now, you can exceed many theaters in your own home.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2010
This projector is outstanding. The quality of the image is unsurpassed in its class and probably the next class up. One overlooked feature is the lense shift. There are no digital image manipulation controls on this projector. As long as the lense is parallel to the screen, the lense-shift will make sure it is centered. Optical lense shift is a feature usually only found on high end projectors. This projector replaced my InFocus X1 which lasted over 7 years (and is still going strong). No regrets!

BTW: ADVANCITY is scamming you with the list price of $2422.30. It is sold by Epson (MSRP) for $1299.00 and the street price is typically $1199.00. Buy it from someone else!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2011
I just got this projector to replace my aging Sanyo PLV-Z1. The 8350 represents a very nice upgrade in resolution, light output, and contrast at a price less than what the Z1 cost me eight years ago.

My first impression when I got the 8350 is that it was huge. It is probably double the size and weight of the Z1. None of the pictures on here had prepared me for how big this was going to be. Luckily my mount was just barely big enough pick up the mounting holes. Which brings me to my next high point. Epson includes a card with the projector that has a private support line number and access code. A quick flip glance through the manual failed to turn up the mounting bolt size, so I gave the support line a try and was able to get through immediately and get the answer (M4 x 9mm). I felt stupid later on when a closer examination of the manual turned up the answer. At least I got a chance to try out the support!

After getting the projector mounted, I fired it up. I'm projecting from a ceiling mount about 14 feet away from a 110" diagonal screen in a dark basement theater. The lens shift (like in the Z1) greatly eases setup. I was able to quickly get the image roughly aligned, sized and focused. The 8350 has a built in pattern generator that puts a line around the perimeter of the display area that should make it easy to align. Unfortunately, the projector lacks any keystone or pincushion type correction. For some reason, I cannot get the picture lined up perfectly with the edges of my screen. I lined up the top edge of the screen on the left and right and the lower left, but then the lower right is off from the edge by about 1/2 inch, so I have to make the image slightly bigger to avoid that gap. I tried adjusting projector angles, the lens shift and everything else that I could think of but couldn't get all four corners to line up. The Z1 did not have this problem and it seems like a significant shortcoming of the 8350.

The video settings were pretty good out of the box. A few tweaks with a video setup DVD got the picture looking very good. Since I have good light control in my room, I went with the reduced light ECO setting. This reduced the fan noise slightly. Interestingly, changing the color mode to "natural" also reduced the fan noise (and provided the most realistic color). With these two settings, the fan noise was very low and I didn't notice it once a video was playing. The projector lets you have different settings for each input and remembers them when you switch between them, which is a nice touch. The one flaw I found when exploring the setup features was with the auto iris feature. It was loud- it sounded like a hard drive in a computer clicking away as it adjusted. Unlike the fan noise, the iris noise was noticeable over the programming. I ultimately decided not to use the auto iris at all. It seems a little gimicky and was kind of noticeable visually when it changed on the screen. I think Epson just included this feature so they could claim higher contrast ratios on their marketing slides and don't expect anyone to actually use it.

The remote is easy to use and has a convenient backlight that you can turn on when needed. All of the inputs have a direct access button on the remote which may be important if you are using another remote with macro capabilities for controlling your system.

The picture looks excellent. HDTV from the cable box was very vibrant and had good contrast. Even a 480p DVD looked very good projected at 110". There is an auto aspect ratio mode that in my one experiment was able to appropriately set the right mode when I switched from an HD channel to a standard def channel.

-excellent picture
-lens shift
-remote with direct input selection

-auto iris is noisy
-no keystone or other digital correction to perfectly match the image to your screen
-large size

Overall, I would recommend this projector as long as none of the CONS are showstoppers for you.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2012
As a lot of the other reviewers have mentioned, the product is faulty. I, like so many other people, received the "auto iris" error after only a few uses. To get it working again, I had to stand on my couch and turn it off, then wait for a few minutes, then turn it back on. At first, it only happened once out of every 10 times I turned it on. Then gradually it got up to about 1 out of every 4 times it was turned on. I decided to call support.This is March, and I just bought it in February! I called Epson, they were real nice; told me that they would overnight me another one. When it arrived, I opened the box and looked at it, there were scratches all over it. I called back Epson, and I was told that when they send you a replacement, it comes refurbished. This is just plain not acceptable. My machine was less than 6 weeks old, and your solution is to send me a replacement that is not brand new. I can understand if mine was 16 months old or something, but mine was 6 weeks! I will never buy another Epson product. I gave it 2 stars because when it was working, it was a decent projector. In my opinion, the image quality is not even close to what everyone is claiming in the other reviews...
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2011
I bought this projector for the current price and have been very happy with it. It was nice to see how bright it was even during the daytime, windows all on one side of the room but no strong light as it is the start of winter and a basement. Summer time it would be good to have curtains for light control like any projector. When I get curtains up I am sure that will take care of any issues during daytime, even in summer. Of course as with any projector the more control over light in the room the better the picture. I did a lot of research before purchasing this unit. As a projector unless one has a totally dark room meaning zero light and dark walls then ANSI lumens are important, this one with its 2000 ANSI LUMENS is great and use this to compare with other projectors, if less I would be weary.
I wanted to have a NATIVE 1080P RESOLUTION which I do not regret and would not get a projector with lower resolution. One may notice that a projectors specs say they can do 1080 but this is misleading as this is not NATIVE resolution, meaning they try to upconvert to a 1080i (i=interpolated) and it is not the same thing, not even close. I want to see blu rays in their full resolution which this does. One may also purchase an A/V receiver to upconvert the source material for best picture quality, my Blu Ray player also does this upconversion, but it is still not a true 1080P. While not as good as the 1080P one will see when playing a Blu Ray disc for example, the picture from HD cable channel which is 720P is still AMAZING just as good as the picture on my 42 inch LCD HDTV and better than my older 55 inch rear projection HDTV. High Def video from a home video source such as full 1080P from an AVCHD format camcorder for example is stunning and home movies look as good or better than store bought if done properly. The input source is of course going to dictate how good the picture is, so it will look as good as the source input, this is not always the case with all projectors, they have to have the capacity to project the image at full input resolution such as this one. Most projectors that have this resolution cost more and a flat panel in the screen sizes this is capable of are going to be many thousands of dollars more.
I do not use the Eco setting but the bulbs last 3-4000 hours and are only around 120.00 and you only need one which is a very good deal. One of the great and unique features of this projector are the LENS SHIFT adjustment wheels, this projector does not have to be dead center on with the screen as those knobs can shift the picture both vertically and horizontally, at least several inches or more depending on how far the projector is away from the screen, in some situations this could mean the difference between having a projector and screen work in a room or not. The lens shift moves the picture left to right or up and down keeping it in focus. So your screen can be way off from being centered with the projector and still fit dead on. The projector itself has plenty of features and adjustments but it did not take long to find a good setting close to out of the box. While this has 2 HDMI inputs I only use one with all of my components running through my A/V receiver, a Pioneer Elite VSX30 for 275 with 7.1 surround which I am very happy with.

I got the Peerless mount that I think was a good choice, it fits this projector and is good quality with two nice pitch adjustment knobs. It is white and matches the color of the projector well. Since it is ceiling mounted it is up and out of the way of my dog and one has to be right up close to the screen before one would block the picture at all, standing in between the projector and screen with this set up does not shadow the screen.

If one is going to ceiling mount this you may wish to purchase a longer power cord. I bought a 15 foot power cord for this for about 8 bucks so it is long enough to plug in to my power conditioner, extension cords are a bad idea. This worked great for my ceiling installation Cables To Go 09482 18 AWG Universal Power Cord, IEC320C13 to NEMA 5-15P (15 Feet) One can run cords through walls or you can do as I did and use conduit such as the product here which hides the cord and sticks on and requires no nails. Wiremold C210 White Cordmate II Kit so it looks like a nice clean installation.

I also being on a budget bought the Favi 100 inch 16:9 widescreen FAVI HD-100 16:9/100-Inch Electric Projector Screen which works great and provides an awesome picture with this projector. My set up surprises everyone that it did not cost much more. It comes in various sizes but 100 inches was the biggest that would fit. There is information here on the pages of the FAVI screens for sale which will show you the dimensions of each screen size to help determine the size screen that will fit in your room. In my case both the horizontal fit as well as how far the screen came down was important information.

While all my components are capable of 3D I have not really liked 3D that much in the theater and decided I would not want to play much 3D content at home so I concentrated on brightness and the 1080P resolution and the adjustment features of this projector and zero regrets. If I were to change my mind in the future when the technology has progressed I can revisit that, but for now this is all I could ever want.

I like this better than the movie theater. As the screen is smaller it is easier to get a high resolution picture. The surround sound speakers which are the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set with the Energy CF-30 floor standing speakers (I got a great deal for 150 each new) make for wonderful sound. There is plenty of great home theater equipment out there but this was the best for my budget at the time. I would highly recommend a good audio set up to go along with the amazing picture quality you will have with this projector.

If you purchase this and want some set up help there is a web site projector central (...) where you can enter your projector model and screen size and it's contrast ratio and seating location and other information and it has a wizard that will tell you the optimum distance to mount the projector from the screen and ideal seating distances and details such as that. Very helpful in a successful installation. I used their calculations with perfect results.

I also got a Harmony 1100 remote so that I don't need 6-7 remotes, Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen I got that new for 200.00 (heck of a deal) and extra batteries on Amazon for 8.75 each Logitech Battery for Harmony Remote Control 1000 1100 1100i 3.7V 1250mAh. That works like a charm with it's touch screen. I even got a IR dimmer switch that runs off its own remote or the Harmony remote. I also got the RF accessory so I can use either RF (which is not line of sight) or RF to IR for all the components, helpful if your components are behind your seating location.

I highly recommend this projector. I would not settle for one with lower resolution or lower lumen output, you would never obtain as high resolution as a full 1080P projector and you would not get the brightness necessary for daytime viewing if you do not have a room that is completely dark. On the other hand for $1050.00 you will be quite happy with the picture you get from this especially if the source is at least HD (720P) or using its full capability of 1080P quality like a Blu Ray. t Not that it is bad with a regular definition channel or regular DVD, but you get your most amazing picture with the best input source just as is the case with any projector or TV. I can't emphasize enough how much the 1080P quality is worth. This projector is simply the best deal for the money I could find. Consider this, if you want a large picture you can get a very large screen such as the Favi or many others that are at least 120 inches, this projector could potentially display a giant 300 inch picture if you have the space to do so. But even at 100 inches like I have what else can you get for that money in this size with this resolution aside from a good projector? Very little and it is going to cost a lot more. And if you have an electric screen that moves out of the way you take up very little space when not in use and the projector itself takes up very little space. Also unlike a flat panel TV you have a set picture size. With a projector like this you can just change your screen size while using the same projector and go smaller or larger with the screen size if you change the location which either constricts the size of the screen you are able to use or enlarges the space to allow for a larger screen. This is a flexibility you will only find in a projector. And with the lens shift of this particular projector you have even more flexibility for placement of the projector.

Also consider that this weighs about 16 pounds out of the box. An LCD flat panel HDTV would likely weight 100 plus for a large one. So this give you a great portability. The 100 inch screen I am using only weighs 27 pounds. Both of which can be carried by one person. That can not be said about a flat panel. Flat panels are great. I use them in smaller sizes at reasonable prices in locations they make sense. But for a home theater you can't beat this for anywhere near the price and you will be stunned by how great the picture is from it.

I can't say enough how happy I am. I took a month to research all this and made this decision. The first time I put a show on the screen I instantly knew it was all I had hoped for. It gets used on a daily basis and I have now used it for about 500 hours (the projector keeps track of lamp hours used) without a single issue. In about one minute I have a projector which is always out of the way on the ceiling taking up no usable space in the room along with a screen also not taking up any usable space to having a 100 inch incredibly high resolution viewing experience night or day. The only adjustments I make are to the projector by selecting "Dynamic" during the bright day time to "Living Room" which is slightly dimmer to avoid seeing any pixilation at night and that only takes a few seconds from the remote to change.

UPDATE: I have been using this projector for over a year now. No problems at all during this time, and still no regrets that I purchased this unit. I do find that I still prefer either an HD video source or BluRay whenever possible but that would be the same with any projector or HDTV, particularly one with a very large screen such as this is capable of. I still only use the two settings, one for daytime and one slightly less bright for night to avoid seeing any pixilation artifacts.

BULB LIFE: Well my bulb finally went. It lasted exactly 2837 hours. Epson says that it will last between 3000-4000 hours so it was close. Keep in mind that I have never used the Eco setting only full power. I would urge anyone buying a replacement bulb to ONLY USE EPSON. There are lots of knockoffs out there which are cheap and will not have the performance, life, possibly explode or other negative things. Only the Epson lamp is worth buying. It is of course the most expensive and I found a new one for about $60 less from another camera supply site than Amazon is offering it for right now. But no regrets. I have had some awesome viewing of countless movies and football games and tv shows and whatever on the huge screen with a great picture for all this time.
To extend the life of your lamp make sure that it has plenty of room for air to circulate around the projector, particularly the back where the air intake and filter are. Vacuum the air filter from time to time and replace it with a new one when you change the bulb. Also make sure to allow the lamp to cool down before moving the projector if it is not mounted on the ceiling like mine. Those things will help give you the longest life. I have read of people having significantly lower lamp life and I suspect they are not doing all those things. I also have a in room air cleaner to help keep dust down in the room I have my projector and components for the home theater. Keep it cool and clean and you will get the best lamp life.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2011
Purchased this projector after several months of deliberation on what projector to purchase for my home theater. This is a great unit I'm writing this review after two months of ownership and I have no regrets at all with this purchase. After shopping around extensively I did find the Epson PowerLite 8350 to be cheaper on Amazon than on any other site. A few items to add that I hope others will find helpful: The fan noise is nonexistant, so very quiet the 8350 has a very sizeable fan exhaust vent on the front and that is how it is able to maintain sufficient airflow over the lamp while keeping down the noise. another item that I had to look fairly extensively for was: How bis big will my screen be projected at from where I mount it? The formula I found was relatively simple though keep in mind you can make your screen smaller but this formula is "how big will it be?" According to Epson at 8' away you will get an 80" screen and from 12' away you will get a 120" screen so the formula goes for every 12" away from the projected upon surface you will gain an additional 10" in diagonal screen measurement. The 8350 is very versatile and is capable of so much more than most of us intend to use it for. A recommendation for those looking for permanent installations make sure when you purchase a HDMI cable that you purchase one that is rated CL2 or CL3 these are high speed HDMI cables rated for permanent in wall installation I would not recommend anything less especially seeing as you can purchase them for very cheap online I recommend they have an amazon store and their prices are very reasonable. Hope this was helpful and made your decision to purchase a little easier.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2011
I'm coming from a 7 years old Optoma which still works ok but was kind of noisy and wanted to upgrade to HD.

I had the Optoma HD20 and the Epson 8350 in my short list for this upgrade and decided to go for the Epson based on:
- user reviews
- LCD technology (lens shift, no rainbow artefact, less moving parts, etc..)
- lower noise level

I have this projector hooked up to a blu-ray player via HDMI. It's ceiling mounted in a family room.

So far I have about 5 hours on the projector so this is my first impressions:

- This projector is HUGE. I had looked at the measurments but did not really realize how big it would be. It's easily 3x my Optoma. I recommend you take a box of the approximate same size to really see if this fits in your setup. Personally I would not want this in my living room, it's ok in my dedicated/family room

- The picture is perfect as far as I can tell. I'm no specialist and have the default settings. Coming from a SD setup this is a big improvement and I didn't notice any problem or artefact or other problem. We watch movies mainly at night, using the eco mode.

- The noise level is a huge improvement over my previous setup. The projector hangs from the ceiling a couple feet above our heads. In almost all situations we don't notice it but it's not completely silent either. Again we're running eco mode.

Overall really pleased with the purchase. If you don't mind the size this is a perfect choice. Let's see how it performs over the next 7 years...
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2010
I just set this up and replaced my Benq W500 with this... and WOW. What a difference. This picture is super clear, and bright. It is just amazing. Picture is clean, sharp, and bright. Brightness was my big complaint with my last projector and surely, not with this one. I've watched a few blu ray movies and it looks awesome. Few key points, price is good, great picture, bright, and super quite. Also lense shift makes it easy to get everything centered if it is off a little bit. The only thing I noticed with it that surprised me was how much bigger and heavier it was then my last projector, but not a big deal. All in all, excellent projector, especially for the money.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2011
I'm not a novice in the home theater projector arena as this is my 3rd projector in the 10 years or so that I've had one and I've helped others set up theirs as well. I've gone from a SD (standard definition) Sharp projector to a Panasonic High (Semi-high?) Def 720 projector. The Pany has been in use for about 6 years and in it's time, was the best of the best for an LCD with 16:9 native LCD panels at what was then the best high def available at 1280X720 pixels. Contrast levels on the Pany were considered quite good at that time at about 1300:1. You lived with weak blacks and difficulty in viewing dark-lit scenes and, between careful calibration and using a very dark room, you got by and enjoyed the viewing experience. When DLP projectors came out, their biggest virtue over LCD was high contrast and at that time when DLP came into the scene, no LCD projector could match the contrast levels that DLP technology offered. Well, with now over 25 hours of use on my new Epson 8350, it is quite obvious that times and (LCD) technology have changed substantially for the better! The Epson displays black levels that rival a good LCD TV.

I've watched movies that I know challenged my Pany with great variations of lighting and had a lot of dark scenes in them for the ultimate test. Simply said, these DVDs played like a newly remastered disk! The black levels and dynamic range of extreme light to dark rival -film- (and a lot of theaters now are going digital projection over film, so that analogy is now getting outdated). The projector produces a very crisp image in SD (upscaled by the player) and for Blu-Ray and other high def sources (1080X1920), the images are extremely detailed. Details such as skin and hair, fabric/texture, grass, etc on our 110 inch screen are very defined and crisp. Animated films such as "Megamind", "Up", "Wall-E" and others are simply mind-blowing regarding the superb detail generated by computer animation. Color saturation and tint seem dead on with little to no tweaking required for any source connected. We've been to our local theater which is a high-tech, digital 3D facility and have to say, I see nothing I can't reproduce for qualify of image or visual impact here at home.

The Epson 8350 really rivals true theater image quality. We use a Draper 16:9 matte white manual 110" screen and keep light levels very low like a theater would. DB noise levels for the fan (low lamp/energy saving mode=low fan speed mode and is all I ever need for brightness) is superb. You have to stand on a small stool and get right up to the fan to hear it. The fan will NOT be a distraction issue! The fan exhausts forward, good design thinking for those installations where the Epson is backed up close to a wall behind it as all the heat can be vented w/ no restrictions or clearance issues like a rear-exhausting projector (my old Pany for example) might have. The menu on the 8350 is diverse and offers every adjustment you will need, and some ("advanced") settings you probably won't have to touch. You can save all of your custom settings in memory and there's 10 or more individual memory locations.

You won't run short if you have several different custom settings for different media situations and/or devices within your theater system. Set up of the projector was fairly easy. (15-30 minutes followed by a few tweaks ongoing over 2-3 movies just after we got it up and running). Try of course to get the projector dead on center for your screen and located in the as-correct-as-possible vertical and horizontal position so the lens is as parallel and centered to the screen as possible. At that point you can adjust the lens shift vertically or horizontally to get the screen image dead center and sized correctly using the manual zoom. Once you have the projector set up for the perfect screen position, you should not have to worry about it again as I've found no shift at all out of perfect screen alignment, in anything I've watched. The Epson also has a calibration vertical/horizontal bar on-screen display which really makes set-up so easy and allows those of us who are picky (me!) about resolving any misalignment or keystone for the projected image.

The Epson seems very happy in HDMI compatibility and nothing I've connected has ever been an issue. The signal/source "handshake" between the Epson, my receiver and the selected media device seems to be very responsive and there is no lag waiting for the Epson to display the media source selected. In summary, along with so many other 5 star reviews here, I have absolutely no regrets nor "cons" about this projector. Yes, it is bigger in size and much heavier in weight then some of the other DLP/LCD units out there, but, honestly, when you lift it, there is solidity and strength in it's build. From a quality stand-point (not portability) could heavier mean, better build quality internally, larger more efficient power supply, roomier lamp cooling array for more air flow, etc) ?...I'm sensing it certainly can. There's also few user issues out there highlighted on Epson forums.....nothing redundant and wide-spread like some of the other makes out there (an Optoma model competing w/ the Epson 8350 price range has had some quality control issues for bulb life and erratic shut-down problems during normal use). To me, with an absence of reported issues by owners for the 8350, that seems to indicate that it will be much less likely be a problem out of the box or later on during use.

I'm delighted in my new Epson 8350 and it clearly has been more then I expected for it's superb image quality, ease of set-up and very in depth and easy to navigate menus. If you are upgrading from an older projector, you will not believe how this technology has improved until you see it for yourself. Highly recommended! I want to add that I almost always purchase my Home-Theater product at Amazon for both the very competitive prices and excellent customer service they lead the industry with. Had they had this projector in stock when I was ready to order, I would have certainly ordered from them, but, could not. As it is, their current price as I write this review is lower then what I paid and best amongst the current prices on-line. I did purchase my ceiling mount for the 8350 from Amazon for under $50 (!) and it worked perfectly. My positive review is due soon on the mount which can be seen here: [...]
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse