5.0 out of 5 stars Thing of beauty
Published 19 months ago by Toyz

1.0 out of 5 stars The wireless transmitter doesn't work at all
I am sure people might wonder if everyone else is giving this projector 5 stars why am I giving it one. It is all due to the wireless transmitter. Th main difference between the 3020 and the 3020e is the wireless feature however it doesn't work. I read in other reviews that at times this could happen but I took my chances and regret it now.

I have our...
Published 14 months ago by grant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thing of beauty, January 30, 2013
Toyz "SMK" (Worcester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3020e 2D and 3D 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector (Electronics)
I have a large master bedroom, needed a big TV to watch the late night football games and the occasional movie. Had to get a big size TV (atleast 80") for a room of this size. Did a lot of research and was pushing off the TV purchase because of the exorbitant cost of such a big TV. Started looking into projectors, looked at the optoma and a few other brands, was getting a few good reviews and some so so reviews. My friend who had come over mentioned that he had the Epson 3010 and he likes it.
So decided to go to the local best buy and they had the later model 3020, read some reviews and pulled the trigger.
Got it home, fired it up and Wow....
Without any calibration we had 130" of awesomeness in our bedroom.
Got a 120" fixed screen and now project it up there, we are both blown away by this. At a fraction of the cost we have a home theater in our bedroom. Way better than any TV at the size/cost.
After getting comfortable with this, I swapped this for the 3020e wireless model and love it. The IRIS noise was a little distraction, turned it off and enjoy it now.
Also love that it has the built in speakers which are not bad at all. Considering getting a nice sound bar to complement this now.
Wife happy/ Me happy.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thing of Beauty, January 22, 2013
This projector is a thing of beauty. I replaced my old DLP projector with this and the first thing I noticed was how much bigger and heavier it is when compared to my older 720p unit. I was initially worried whether or not my self installed ceiling bracket would support it. It was very difficult to do by myself but I managed to get it installed in the ceiling mount by myself. I strongly suggest getting help if you plan on a ceiling mount of this projector. I does have speakers in it, which, my old unit did not have, but that does not account for all the weight, it is just a more substantial and obviously well constructed piece of electronics. The speakers by the way really surprised me and I have found myself electing them over my thundering sound system for many movies. At first I did not think I would be impressed by the 3D function. I did not have any 3D disc yet so I ran out and get the animated movie "UP" for my first 3D disc. The unit comes with to sets of glasses, both which were charged and ready for use. It also came with a short HDMI cable, which I had to replace with a much longer one in order mount on the ceiling. I found out that the HDMI cable I used for the old unit would not work and I had to run out again and pick up another long HDMI cable rated for HD 3D. It was worth all the effort once I got the movie started and realized that 3D was really much better than I expected. Even if 3D is not your thing this projector really displays a fantastic and bright picture and a 1020p HD picture that alone makes it worth the purchase. Even during the daytime with a fair amount of ambient light it is very acceptable, whereas my old projector was not. If you are looking for a great projector for your home theater this is a good one.

1.0 out of 5 stars The wireless transmitter doesn't work at all, July 13, 2013

I have our projector mounted ten feet from the transmitter with no obstructions in the way of its view and it fails to connect every time. You have to go through resetting, turning items on and off and hoping that it might connect eventually. When it finally does connect it says it has 100% strength so there is no reason it should not have connected in the first place.

I bought this model because I didn't want to have to run HDMI cables but I will be returning this projector tomorrow because right now it is a very expensive paper weight. I recommend saving yourself the frustration and going with the 3020, it's about 500 dollars cheaper and you won't have to deal with the inconsistency of the wireless feature.

On a side note, it has a great picture if you can get it to work. After 45 minutes it finally connected and it looks great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good improvements on the 3010e, January 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had the Epson 3010e projector as well, so this review will be mostly about the upgrades that come with this years newer model.

So here is the breakdown
- 1080p 3LCD - Crisp, beautiful. Until LED projectors come down in price, this is your best value.
- Super Bright projector (2300 lumens, the 3010's had 2200). This is incredibly bright for the money range this projector is in.
- 3D. Requires active glasses, big upgrade from the 3010 include, better picture quality during 3d movies, auto iris is now available in 3d, and the 3D glasses are now included in the WiHD version (2 pair), and are now RF instead of IR. The glasses are also much improved, they look better, are more comfortable, and can be charged via micro usb (apparently 3 minutes will be enough to make it through an entire movie, which is great if you forget to charge them). Unfortunately this means the old IR glasses are no longer compatible, but there are good cheap RF glasses for $20 or so.
- Lag. The previous version had enough lag that it made playing FPS online, and playing other fast paced games kind of unbearable. The new 3020 has less lag (about ~50ms) so it's much less noticeable, so it goes from being, supper annoying to play with to can deal with it. Although for gaming, probably still not the best projector.
- Wireless HDMI (WiHD). The sender unit has been upgraded, it now takes 5 HDMI inputs, has an HDMI output and an optical port. The remote also gets a section to directly control the HDMI sender. This is great since you can now use it as a hub and plug multiple things in with it, and still output to something else if required. Huge upgrade over the 3010 where it basically had one HDMI input.
- Appearance. Outside of missing the network jack for extending the IR signal for 3d (which isn't needed with RF now), this projector is identical.

This is still an insanely great projector for home theater. It's bright, it does 3D, it's 1080p, picture looks amazing (and can be calibrated to be very close to color correct). It is a home theater projector, so it's quite large, so no portable slideshows, and it also isn't great at games. But for what it's intended for, it excels.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, January 11, 2013
I love this projector. The picture is fantastic and the shipping was very fast. I was very impressed the performance in ambient light and the 3D is very good. The only let down is the wireless has to re-link every time I change a channel on Dirctv

5.0 out of 5 stars Great projector, wireless HDMI is a pain, December 28, 2013
Eric Rose (VT United States) - See all my reviews
I wrote a much more detailed review under the plain old 3020, so look there for my very detailed review. General conclusion is this is an excellent projector, with exceptional picture quality and 3D.

The difference between the 3020 and this 3020e is the wireless HDMI. I'm not going to go into excruciating, boring detail, but my final conclusion is the wireless HDMI is a pain and I don't bother with it.

Just to give you some ideas:

My projector is shelf mounted high against the back wall of our living room (practically ceiling-mounted). Along the back wall is the entertainment center, with the Sony receiver and the PS3, PS4 and Apple TV. The wireless HDMI unit needs to be setup facing the projector from the front. But all that stuff is BEHIND the projector. So basically, it doesn't work! I gave it a shot anyway and the projector couldn't detect the wireless signal (as I expected since the transmitter was behind the projector).

Next is the inputs and outputs and passthrough stuff. The passthrough only works if the transmitter is powered on, then you press a button to turn off wireless, and the signal should pass through to the hdmi out (say, if you wanted it to go to your TV). So there's a lot of button pushing and switch-turning to get the passthrough working. A much more elegant solution (which I use) is to get a monoprice powered HDMI switcher, which sends simultaneous signals out to 2 or 4 HDMI devices. I have a 2 port switcher, but temporarily have 3 devices (2 projectors and a TV). So on paper, using the wireless transmitter has a passthrough device allows me to have all 3 things connected at one time, but it's a pain to use, and in the end it's easier to just pull one of the HDMI cables out of the switcher and replace it with the other one when needed. A first-world problem for sure! (that was longer than I meant to write).

So, I paid extra for the "e" version of the 3020 and don't even use it. (Actually, I got this as a "refurb" from Epson and it was about the same price as the non-e version, which is why I got it). I assume the original owner was frustrated with the wireless HDMI and sent it back, because there is no other sign of wear or use. Even the bulb timing said zero hours when I started using it.

But as a projector, the 3020/3020e is an excellent projector, but if you can't place the transmitter in front of the projector you may not be able to use the wireless bit. In that case, consider the 3020 and enjoy it for it's magnificent large 1080p picture and 3D images.

Respond if you have questions and I will try to help you.

5.0 out of 5 stars why would you need any better than this, March 7, 2014
epson 3020e, pioneer vsx 70 receiver, pioneer bdp 62fd 3d blue ray, fluance sx series speakers and an elite spectrum series 110" screen. one word " WOW ". the epson picture, "crisp and bright" , the 3d "are you kidding me" as good as in the theatre. this system was pot luck solely based on the amazon reviews. if you do this don't cheapen anything re: speaker wire, at least 16 guage.
loveit, love it, love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, August 22, 2013
this projector is amazing. got everything hooked up wirelessly and have an amazing picture just on our wall. going to put a projector screen up this weekend. the face pictures are crystal clear. watched the avengers in 3d and I think it is better than at the theater. the grandkids want to use it all the time now though. tough to get to watch any of my shows. watched a little football on it was fantastic. can't wait for the football season to start. five stars is not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great projector for the price, July 8, 2013
My AV guy wanted to sell me a more expensive projector. I gave this one a shot due to the good reviews. It is everything I hoped it would be. The 2d picture is very clear and 3d movies are as good as "Real 3D" you see in theaters. Watching Toy Story or Despicable Me in 3D is amazing. Extra glasses are expensive ($94 each!) but worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, October 19, 2013
Very good projector , quality is awesome.
Only reason to give rating 4 is it takes 30-50 sec time when you switch the input for wireless mode on receiver.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›