5.0 out of 5 stars The best looking paper I've used

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the paper for detail or color accuracy
Published on July 11, 2010 by Personne

5.0 out of 5 stars The best looking paper I've used, October 12, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper LUSTER (8.5x11 Inches, 50 Sheets) (S041405) - Packaging May Vary (Office Product)
I use this paper to print out 2.3 to 4 megapixel digital photos on an Epson C44UX printer at 8 x 6. The finish of the paper has a beautiful jeweled look and the paper dries quickly. The colors do not smudge placed inside archival sleeves. In comparison to other papers I have used the past month, it's far superior to Southworth standard glossy paper. Southworth paper actually warps because the gel layer might be too thin or maybe because the paper is cheaply produced -- Southworth paper is essentially paper with a thin coating of something or other. Kodak Premium Photo paper (glossy) was not as good either. The Kodak paper has a cheaper look to it, but maybe it's due to the glossy finish(?). The Kodak paper is also whiter and the colors looked a bit washed out by comparison to the Epson prints. The print output looked like it came from an inkjet printer. Viewed alone, Kodak prints looked okay -- it's when you put them side by side with another paper that's better. HP Premium Plus (glossy) was nearly as good, but the colors also didn't seem to appear as natural. It may have something to do with whatever gel or emulsion Epson is coating this paper with. The results on Epson paper look like photos from the photo lab -- it's hard to believe my forty five buck printer can make this kind of output. Like someone said elsewhere, you can spend hundreds on a high tech printer, but if you get low quality paper, the results are yuck. So, I use my remaining supply of the other papers to print out labels and things, and I use the Epson paper to print out photos that I frame and hang on the wall. This paper is recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Paper, November 1, 2003
David Enzel (Chevy Chase, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have an Epson 960 Photo Printer. I have tried various Epson photo papers with the printer and this is by far the best. The premium glossy paper was nice but I could see some bands through the image that were barely percepible even when the printer was new. With the Premium Luster paper the ink lays down beautifully and perfectly and the image has what I can only describe in words as a rich feel to it. Paper selection is very personal but if you have not tried this paper you owe it to yourself to run some of it through your printer. There's a good chance you'll be back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Epson paper, July 18, 2008
Michael J. Foley (Sherman Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have an Epson R-380 high definition printer with Claria inks and the best paper that I've found for it is the Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy, which is by far the best photo paper that's I've ever used on that printer. I've also had excellent results with the Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte. It's interesting but I recently tried some Kodak Premium Photo Paper Matte and it might be an excellent paper on another printer, on the Epson, produced extremely small horizontal lines. Barely noticeable but definitely there. With the Epson matte paper, these line completely disappeared and the results were near perfection.

I've had such great results with these papers that I decided to try the Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster and all I can say is that I'm definitely adding it to my papers. I run a small business selling photo prints and cards and use different papers. The finish is determined by the photo. Some just call out for high gloss, while others require a different surface.

The luster finish is sort of a cross between matte and glossy and is similar to the ilford pearl paper but holds the Epson inks a bit better. It's a beautiful surface and is a pleasure to look at. It's actually luxurious.

Between these three Epson papers, I have it all covered. The choice in photo paper makes all the difference in the world to the serious photographer. Not so much if you're just printing snapshots. This review is aimed at those who want professional photo lab results at home.

The Epson R-380 printer as well as these three papers provide the best results. Since I'm actually selling these prints, I'm not as interested in keeping the costs of printing down as I am in the results.

Even a few years ago, who would have thought that this level of excellence was possible with home inkjet printing? I now have a full color photo lab right in my office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, July 6, 2004
By A Customer
I print a lot of pictures in my business. This is by far the best paper I have used. I have several types of printers, Cannon, Epson, HP and this works well with all of them. This is a great deal as far as price goes as well. I did a lot of research to find the least expensive to try this product out and this was the best price and the fastest delivery! Professional or family fun this is professional quality paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality with ink jet printers, August 5, 2005
I have a Canon i950 that I hadn't been that happy with using photo paper by Burlington, Fuji, or Kodak. I purchased this to try to see if the poor quality of my prints was the printer or the paper. Having placed the Epson Premium Luster through several head to head comparisons tonight - the answer is that the printer is fine and the Epson Premium Luster is AWESOME.

The photos print just beautifully on this paper. Colors are crisp, droplets don't smudge together and the luster surface dries quickly. This has the look and feel of the paper that wedding photographer use. I printed both high pixel and low pixel count photos. The low pixel counts looked much better on this paper but the proof really comes on high pixel count photos. The resolution is lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Premium Lustre Photo Paper, May 2, 2003
This is a fantastic product. I use it to print pictures with a professional look. It is a matte finish paper and the finished product looks so much better on this paper than any other photo paper. I print at home, and it is virtually impossible to distinguish the photos I have printed on this paper from professional processing. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Paper I've seen For My Epson Printer!, July 29, 2005
Gerard Collins (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
I've used my Epson 890 Printer now for many, many years. I was using Epson High Gloss Paper for my printing needs with great satisfaction. I tried this paper and boy did the picture pop when printed. Such a beautiful blend of colors, and a professional look, you will be truly amazed. I have always used Epson inks and the printer has worked perfectly. I will go into custom settings when printing and set the DPI to 2880. Between the high DPI setting and the Epson Premium Luster Paper I can't go wrong (and neither will you!). For that little "extra something" when it comes to printing your special photos believe me you'll be very happy with this paper.

Good luck!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the paper for detail or color accuracy, July 11, 2010
Personne (Rocky Mountain West) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I typically like Epson papers and have used their Premium Glossy papers for years. But I don't quite know what to make of this luster paper. I would like a paper with a little lower reflectivity for prints that are viewed under bright lights. But this sacrifices too much. I shoot at high resolution and spend time calibrating monitors and editing photos to get realistic colors. With this paper, detail goes missing and colors are washed out. It's possible that the printer profile itself is off, but I use an Epson printer (R800) and there's little excuse for that. Their profiles for other papers are pretty close.

If you like prints that look like watercolors, then this may be the paper for you. I think it's going to take me a very long time to get through this pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great paper, April 10, 2007
This paper is just glossy enough to make a photo look professional, but with out the glare of high gloss paper. it also had enough weight to feel like it will last.

5.0 out of 5 stars save for the best photo, June 1, 2010
® (West Coast) - See all my reviews
I rarely use this E-luster paper and reserve it for portrait photo of people only. The material and texture of theis paper is like what you see from professional prints you see from family portrait. I usually use the cheaper Epson Premium Glossy Paper for most other my other printouts.

I used to have two older Epson 820 and 1200, now that I moved to a Canon i960 (somewhat old too)this paper still print spectacularly. Epson and Canon paper are interchangeable with each other printer to paper and vise verse. Epson and Canon printers don't play well with HP and Kodak papers.