5.0 out of 5 stars Best Digital B&W Printing Paper (IMO)
Printing black and white digitally can be quite tricky and I have experimented with a number of papers in trying to get great looking prints. This is, in my opinion, the closest your going to get to getting your digital prints to look like traditional B&W. Granted, you have to adjust your photos for proper contrast first, but this paper goes a long way in helping you.
Published on October 24, 2009 by Jordon A. Stanford

2.0 out of 5 stars Scratches easily, beware using with Stylus Pro 3880
Published 22 months ago by D. Butterfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Digital B&W Printing Paper (IMO), October 24, 2009
This review is from: Epson Professional Media Exhibition Fiber Paper (13x19 Inches, 25 Sheets) (S045037) (Office Product)

2.0 out of 5 stars Scratches easily, beware using with Stylus Pro 3880, September 13, 2012
This paper is a fantastic marketing tool for Epson. Everyone raves about it. I'd like it if it would go through the Stylus Pro 3880 without scratching but it won't. The transport rollers, tiny metal cogwheels in pairs approx. 1/8 inch apart running across the 17 inch width of the printer scratch the entire ink printed surface with parallel lines accented by the tips of the cogwheels. Also there was a problem with microscopic white dots in dark areas. I found out the white dots are a known issue (which Epson tech support did not tell me about) resulting from paper dust coating the new paper which flakes off after the ink dries. This topic turned up in extensive forum research and has been a big problem for Epson. Each piece must be carefully cleaned of paper dust before printing. The printing surface is much too delicate. Extreme caution must be used as it scratches easily. Must be spray coated with Krylon Crystal Clear or Hahnemule spray to prevent dry prints from scratching, which adds considerably to the cost and production time.

I'm on my 4th replacement printer now and it is scratching the Exhibition Fiber paper, too. I now must send the paper back to Epson for a refund and look for a different, less archival, less desirable surface, probably resin coated paper that will run through the 3880 without scratching. This has been a big hassle for my business as I put much effort into marketing the archival and fine photographic quality of the 3880/Exhibition Fiber combination. Black and White prints made with advanced control of the 3880 on Exhibition Fiber do look great, until you notice the scratches. Bottom line: expensive paper ends up being more trouble than it's worth.

Would love to hear from anyone who's had similar issues with this paper and/or the Stylus Pro 3880, especially if you've got a solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Right!, October 22, 2011
You can't go wrong with this paper. Check the characteristics; if it meets your photo needs, photo specific or paper specific, you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive paper with wide gamut and high dmax, May 29, 2014
I recently moved from an Epson 2200 Pro to the 3880 Pro and was looking to get some “better” Epson papers, especially on the matte and semi-gloss side. And though I loved the ultra-premium presentation matte paper, I hated the gloss paper.

Fast forward… I was looking at some reviews on Epson’s Hot/Cold Press matte papers, and one of the reviewers mentioned his love affair with Epson’s Exhibition Fiber (EF) paper and recommended people give it a try due to its high Dmax (tones) and wide gamut (range color/saturation) – in very simple terms.

With that I have to say this is one impressive paper where colors pop, and B&W’s shine with their range of tonality. In short, if you love color... get this paper, if you love tones in B&W... get this paper. It’s that good.

The paper is described as a soft gloss paper and I would basically describe that as somewhat of a mixture between a luster and matte finish with extremely fine dimples without the high gloss.

This is somewhat of a heavy (thick) paper so it doesn’t flex as much as say the premium luster, standard matte, or gloss papers. To compare, if you’ve used any of the Epson cold press papers you know they’re a heavy paper, and on the 3880 requires you to use either the rear or front loader single paper slots. The EF isn’t quite that heavy and thus can be fed through the standard front loader of the printer.

Print papers are subjective and everyone has their favorites but I think this paper handles both B&W and color extremely well and is only limited by the printer and/or printing techniques used. That said, you don’t need to be a master printer to get great results out of this paper, and a 3880 will do you just fine here. And I only mention the 3880 because that’s what I currently use.

I’d originally just got a box of 8.5 x 11 to test the paper out but was so impressed with the few results I got that I ordered a box of 13 x 19 sheets.

Again, this is one impressive paper offering a high Dmax and wide gamut range for great B&W or color prints, and if you’re serious about displaying your work, or just hanging them on the walls, this is definitely one of the signature Series papers to get. Plug… depending on what you’re printing, you might also check out Epson’s Cold/Hot Press Bright papers if you need a matte paper as they too have a high Dmax and wide gamut range.

Anyway Google Greg Gorman’s thoughts on the Exhibition Fiber paper.

EF…. 5 stars!!! Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superior top quality photo paper for gallery quality prints, March 22, 2013
Don't buy this paper for everyday use. This is for special prints that you want to look best. It's expensive paper, but in photo paper you get what you pay for. This is not a matte cotton rag paper; it's a soft gloss photo paper. It will produce traditional looking photographic prints with extremely sharp detail, beautiful colors, and excellent contrast. Obviously, the quality of the printer will affect the final result as well. The newer Stylus Pro Epson printers come with a print setting specifically for this paper. I use it for prints that are in an exhibition, and for prints that I sell, made on an Epson 3880 8 color pigment ink printer. I think you would also get good results with the Epson 6 color Claria dye ink system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick arrival and good price, January 6, 2013
The product was shipped in appropriate packaging, came quickly after ordering, and was much cheaper than from the manufacturer. When it comes time to purchase again, I'll do it this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a portfolio, August 30, 2012
I'm using an HP Z5200 (44" wide, eight ink) printer and, after an extensive search, I've selected this paper for my portfolio.
The Z5200 has a built-in spectrometer, so building a profile was easy.
The blacks are rich, the colors vivid, and the whites are as clean and bright as you can get without added whiteners.
I've been printing on 13"X19" sheets but I've now ordered several 24"X50' rolls for my larger prints.
My only complaint is that it's too damned expenisve to use for my "everyday" printing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Paper defects mar a great paper, March 25, 2014
I'm looking for an alternative paper, since I have been using Ilford Gold Fiber Silk and that company has been reported to be having financial difficulties. So, I purchased a 25 sheet box of Epson Exhibition Fiber for use with my R3000 Epson printer. The good news is that the defect-free sheets give a gorgeous result with the Epson profile in both color and black&white. The bad news (and the reason that this is not a 4 or 5 star review) is that out of the top 5 sheets out of the box, 3 had bad defects - 1 wrinkle as if the paper had been mis-handled, one gray spot, and one flaw that looked like a coarse hair in the emulsion. A huge disappointment. I will try to contact Epson, but this is very bad QC for a premium product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Epson fails at customer support, March 14, 2014
Exhibition Fiber is an excellent paper that I have been using for a number of year for my fine art photography. I have been pleased with the quality of both black and white and color images. However, last fall I purchased two boxes of 13x19 paper which I recently started to use, and the coating on the paper is defective--it is uneven and produces prints that have blotches all over them. I have tried to contact Epson about the problem. The people who answer the phone at their published number claim they can’t address the problem (I even spoke with a supervisor). They provided me with a corporate email address, and no one has responded to my emails. A quick Google search shows that other photographers had a similar quality problem with this paper last fall when I purchased my paper. I have been a huge Epson fan and customer. I’m surprised about their lack of response to a quality problem with one of their “Signature Worthy” papers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll give it another chance., January 19, 2014
Great paper! Just like the old silver- based F surface photo paper. Rich black and whites. I did have some go bad in the past (not this batch) or perhaps it was a manufacturing error, and that surprised me. However, I decided to give it another go as the paper is so good. Expensive.

Rate and Discover Movies