5.0 out of 5 stars Primarily a business projector, this is a great value...
Summary: Compact and light weight, this is aimed squarely at the traveling business person who needs to make presentations while traveling, but it is also a great and handy general purpose projector if you can accept a few limitations in exchange for the low price.

Published on November 22, 2011 by Bron

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special
Pros:
1.- Cheap
2.- Bright
3.- Easy to use
4.- Light weight

Cons:
1.- Poor image quality
2.- No case
3.- No USB cable included.
Published 21 months ago by Kenneth Daly

5.0 out of 5 stars Primarily a business projector, this is a great value..., November 22, 2011
This review is from: Epson VS210 Projector (Portable SVGA 3LCD, 2600 lumens color brightness, 2600 lumens white brightness, rapid setup) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Pros: Very compact, low price, excellent image quality, good color, good build quality, easy to use, good remote
Cons: No HDMI input, lower resolution by today's HD standards (but fine for intended use), remote not backlit

The high lumens means this can be used in a room with a fair amount of ambient light. The 800x600 resolution and 4:3 aspect ratio are fine for presenting and also fine for DVD's and many video formats. It's not "HD" but it's higher than standard DVD video (640x480) and fine for streaming videos, DivX, home videos, photos, and similar uses. You get Epson build quality and reliability, long bulb life, good out of the box color, instant on/off, USB instant play (for photos, presentations, and PC Display, but not suitable for video), and VGA (good for PC Video and general display purposes).

You get vertical (but not Horizontal, that's reserved for the more expensive 315 models) image adjust and lots of tweaking options (most of which you won't need). This unit is very quick and easy to set-up and use, and quick to shutdown and pack up as well.

I used the VGA input to connect my laptop to the projector, everything worked fine and was quick and easy to setup. Projector detected the video signal and the auto config worked as expected. Laptop switched screen resolution to match projector's 800x600 rez (I tried other resolutions as well, all worked fine). I projected an 84" (diagonal) image using ECO mode (lower power/brightness, less noise, longer lamp life) and left the auto iris on (better blacks). I did not need to make any adjustments to color, everything looked good to me.

The image quality is excellent for the price. For business purposes, it's very good. For home media, it's acceptable and, at this price, very decent. The blacks aren't "inky," but the image is bright and colorful. Also a good choice for gaming via the VGA connection. There's no HDMI at this price, not an issue for business uses, but it means you'll have to use component output to the VGA input connector via a special cable (not included) for best quality DVD/Movie videos. No USB cable is included, either, which is a bit lame in my opinion, but, hey, look at the price!

Verdict: The basic idea here was to deliver a good quality, budget projector that features Epson's key image and build quality, and basic features, at the lowest cost possible, I believe Epson has hit the target and that these projectors will be quite popular. I've raised my initial 4 star rating to 5 stars based on my tests and performance vs. cost (i.e. bang for the buck).

----------------------------------
2011-11-26 Update: Photos and Art images == these looked very good to excellent. Used an 84" image and there was plenty of detail, very bright, fairly sharp, wonderful color fidelity, and overall great image quality. Displayed via laptop using VGA, but you could also use the USB connection for this. I'm just more used to using VGA, so that's my preference.

2011-11-27 Update: Did some limited testing to see how this unit would work with streaming video for casual movie watching (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Instant video, etc.).

Image quality was very acceptable. Blacks were decent, things that were black, looked black. This is no match for a good home theatre unit, no inky blacks and "pop" here, but a very decent and eminently watchable image. Would be great for sports, I'm guessing. I watched some Netflix films and they looked very good, DVD quality plus/minus depending on source. The Amazon video I watched (Firefly non-HD) was a bit lower in quality, but still acceptable. Some native video (i.e. playing from laptop hard drive) looked great, again near or at DVD quality, YouTube videos were pixellated due to their low resolution, but the higher rez looked OK. (On an 84" image, you're going to notice blocking and pixellation w/YouTube and other lower quality sources, so keep that in mind.) I used blutooth speakers or headphones for audio - did not bother with projector audio.

All in all, it was fun and I was pretty pleased with the results. I think many would be perfectly happy with this projector for casual movie/video use (just don't compare it to a moderate to high-end HT unit). The wonderful HBE (Human Brain Effect) takes over after awhile and you don't really notice any image quality issues. Perfectly enjoyable and very inexpensive by comparison. Also very easy to set-up and put-away. I projected the image on my light beige wall and even that looked pretty good. The auto iris does click a bit occasionally (as w/most), but you can turn it off if this bothers you. It improves the blacks a little bit, noticeable, but not a dramatic change.

If you don't get too hung up on the lower resolution, moderate screen door effect (never bothers me at all), you'll have a lot of fun. And, at current prices, this is hard to beat in terms of fun/dollars spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice projector for regular use, November 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, this is an above average projector. The resolution on this projector is not the best, but it gets the job done. I connected it to my iMac and I had to fiddle around with the monitor resolution to get a better video size out of the projector. Low-quality You Tube videos were of decent quality when projected, but 380p or higher Hulu videos were of above average quality.

You can also get audio to come out of the projector, which is an added bonus, but the sound quality isn't that much better than an ordinary computer speaker.

Word processing and other business applications may be hard to view if the monitor resolution is high. However, fiddling around with the monitor resolution allows you to get to a size that is comfortable enough for you to read.

The installation was okay. I encountered some issues getting the projector to run using the USB Type B connector, which was the only option on my iMac. In addition, a USB Type B cord was also not included in my box. Fortunately, I had one lying around from an old printer. A VGA cord was the only included connector in the box although there are a couple of other connection options available. Once I fixed this installation issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the USB Installer, everything else was a breeze.

The projector also comes with a remote control that allows you to control the projector, including the audio volume. In addition, the remote control can also be used as a wireless pointer, which is good for presentations.

The size of the projector is pretty small, which makes it easy to lug around and does not take up a lot of space on the desk. As with all projectors, it gets pretty hot when sitting beside it, but there's not much you can do about that. If you really want to project sharper images or want a higher resolution when presenting or editing files, you should consider a different projector. However, if you are looking for a decent projector that will get the job done without having to spend a ton of money, this may be a good alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wholeheartedly Recommend this Projector!, November 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Epson VS series VS21 3LCD Business Projector is a great, compact projector that is perfect for the technically challenged. I grabbed the machine out of the box, hooked up the chords in the only spots they would connect into and in less than eight minutes, I was enjoying my favorite movie on the wall with life-size actors. This machine is compact enough to take on business trips and use as a presentation tool without the inconvenience of a larger , bulkier machine. Anybody who has stood in front of an audience with their fingers crossed in hopes that the technology works "this time," will be pleased with the ease and simplicity of the Epson. This projector is much better than what I had hoped.

It is lightweight and very portable. It is extremely easy to adjust with just a click of the release button that locks the foot position. The buttons on top of the machine are actually easier to use and understand than the average television remote, which by the way, it does come with a great remote control also! It is easy to focus and also comes with an user's guide on CD so you don't have to carry around the user's manual if you don't want to. This is a wonderful product!!

I recommend this machine wholeheartedly. It is absolutely great!! 5 Stars!

Bohdi Sanders, author of the award-winning bestseller, Modern Bushido: Living a Life of Excellence

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice projector for the price, but colors could be better., March 15, 2012
Grace (Alameda, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a techie, but I do like technology, especially if it does what it's made to do well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I think I would be very pleased with this projector if I didn't already have the ViewSonic PJD5123 projector, which is cheaper and in my opinion does a better job projecting video.

This is what I mean. Before I received the Epson product to review, I had bought the ViewSonic, because I'd used that model at work and I really liked it. So, when I got the Epson, I immediately set them up side by side to compare them. Basically, the projection quality is very similar, and they share similar functions and options. However, there was a noticeable difference in the color quality. While the Viewsonic was consistently bright and had bold color contrast, in comparison the Epson's projections looked light and washed out, with the blacks too prominent. If I didn't have the Viewsonic to compare side by side, I think I wouldn't have minded that. And I did play around with the different color functions on both machines. Viewsonic looked better to me each time.

Though this color issue was really the only problem (that really isn't a big problem) that stood out, I would still recommend this projector. Keep in mind that it was only noticable because I was comparing them next to each other. I also like the sliding cover and the slim look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Basic Projector for Lectures/Presentations ..., January 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like a few of the reviewers here, I hoped that this projector would serve a two-fold purpose: 1.) as a tool for lectures and 2.) as a source of entertainment. Now, it is crucial to note that the product does not tout itself as a projector suitable for screening films -- so, these few of us who thought we could "double-dip" were quite wrong (and we need to invest in a projector made specifically for this purpose). I guess this is just a notice to those who desire a projector for both reasons, this is not the one you should buy. (It does read "Business Projector" ... and Epson means it!)

Therefore, while the resolution isn't grand enough for film (though it, obviously, will still project films), it cleanly projected my lectures and was a snap to use! Moreover, it is light enough that I could carry both the projector and my texts to class with no strain. That's a small feat in itself! Likewise, the added remote control means that I can walk around the class while I speak (instead of remaining trapped next to the projector). The remote had a large enough range that I never had to awkwardly point it at the base and click crazily. Considering the rock-bottom price of this projector, this remote is a tremendous boon and genuinely appreciated!

Epson makes the luxury of owning a projector a reality for anyone. At this price, any teacher/professor/businessperson can have a projector of her/his own (instead of signing-up to borrow one for the afternoon ... and, if you teach, you know exactly what I mean!)
You will not regret your purchase (just for the sheer convenience). Highly, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable and professional, December 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My previous experience with business projectors was with heavy and clunky models that I hauled from customer site to site, showing presentations of one type or another. I was expecting more of the same when I ordered this, although I hoped it might be a little bit lighter.

Wow! What a great surprise! Not only was this projector light (it weighs about 5 lbs, about the same as some laptops), the finish of it was wonderful - all of the corners are rounded off, meaning a whole lot fewer snagged nylons. It was a cinch to hook up to my MacBook, just plug and play through the USB port, and off we go. The software CD that came with the projector installed with no problems at all. I found the display to be adequately bright, and the whites looked white, not yellowed as with my older projector. It also handled animated presentations with no delays, which was a big deal to me.

All in all, I am delighted by this little guy. It's easy to travel with, and does everything I need it to do. It has a remote control, so I can set up the projector and give the presentation from anywhere in the room. (Yes, my previous projector was that old!) A carrying case is available, but I found that an old laptop case worked very well for me, although I'd get the "right" case if I was going to travel as much as I once did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the money!, June 14, 2012
Great product for the money. I bought it for home use and occasional use with student clubs. I don't think I could have found anything else for the same price that works as well. That being said, below are the observations I've made after having it a month and using it about 50 hours. We've connected it to 3 different sources (xbox, computer, video camera) and used 4 different methods (usb, fire, av and 9 pin.)

The USB connection is NICE. It does have to load software the first time you hook it up but that occurred without problems and the second time used just started right up. When using the USB connection the sound comes through the projector. The sound is NOT great at all but for a PPT presentation it worked well. However, when using the USB for video it lagged. Again, USB is nice but know it's not for video.

The first day it arrived my son hooked it up to his xbox and was playing it on our wall 12 foot by 9! His friends had a blast using it that way. Hooked up and worked using the audio video yellow,white and red connectors. The sound came through the projector and was the only thing not awesome!

I have also used it to play bittorrent movies. Sometimes those can be dark and you can easily adjust the brightness to allow it to be viewable. I hooked up the computer using the 9 pin connection and had external speakers and it was a great experience on the wall about 12 x 9.

I also used this for a birthday party to play a memories type video. The room was completely lit and it was still very viewable.

The zoom does not have a large range so you are stuck moving the projector closer or farther from the wall if you want the picture bigger for the most part but I don't find that too distracting.

So overall, great product for the money. The usb is a nice feature. The sound can be a little muffled but honestly I dont use the projector speakers much anyway. If I had to buy another one anytime soon I'd buy this same one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence and Affordablity In One Sleek Little Package!, January 8, 2012
MusingCrow "mzjohansen" (Friday Harbor, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use this projector for art work, imagery and photography and I'm thrilled with the quality, convenience and cost effectiveness of this handy dandy projector. It packs a lot of quality into a small, ultra portable projector.

I have to admit to not being facile with projector use and issues of what constitutes high quality over less than high quality but I am a consumer who needed a projector that works well with imagery, art, and photographs - and I could not be any happier with the image quality and light capabilities of this Epson product. I honestly can't think of what could could make this any better than it is. It sets up easily, works flawlessly and delivers a a high quality, well lighted image with a very small footprint. That's all I could ask of a projector for my uses and I think that the reasonable cost makes this Epson projector a good choice for business and artistic uses. Epson quality at a reasonable price....that sure works for me !

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, February 25, 2013
Pros:
1.- Cheap
2.- Bright
3.- Easy to use
4.- Light weight

Cons:
1.- Poor image quality
2.- No case
3.- No USB cable included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not great for movies, but IDEAL for documents!, February 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For what the projector was made for (business), it's perfect. VERY easy to set up, easy to adjust with many nice features as outlined above on the Amazon page. The quality is top notch and it does exactly what it advertises. I was hoping that it would also work for movies, but the picture is really a bit too blurry for it; still, it DOES work. However, I know that it wasn't made with movies in mind so I'll just discuss the business aspects of it.

Documents and spreadsheets, etc... come out crystal clear and the picture is easily moved, adjusted, etc... it really is a breeze to work with. The way it set up with the computer was REALLY easy; it worked well even on our less than ideal wall (we didn't have a projector screen to display it on). No technological issues at all. Highly recommend it!