4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer! Watch out for borders on Cut Sheets!
I have been using this printer for about 3 weeks and it has worked wonderfully. The color profiles I've gotten from Epson and Ilford are close enough that I will not bother with custom profiling until I find a lot of spare time.

Published on May 16, 2008 by Chet Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars High Maintenance
Published on January 27, 2011 by Mark Averett

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer! Watch out for borders on Cut Sheets!, May 16, 2008
Chet Lee (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)

Ink usage is pretty moderate. The instructions warn that the first time the printer is "Charged" there will be less ink available for use, but that it will be better when the next cartridge is inserted. I printed about 250 color 8x10 photos on 8.5x11 cut sheets plus a few 16x20 on roll before my black ink ran out.

I really like this printer with 3 exceptions.
1. It's extremely large and heavy. It came on a pallet, large.
2. Photo black and Matte black use the same slot so you'll have to swap and waste a ton of ink to switch back and forth. I do little matte (for now) so it's no big deal for me, but I think I will prob NEVER do anymore Matte until I get a big job that can cover my ink loss!
3. The bottom print margin on cut sheet is .55 inches!
So it cannot do borderless prints on cut sheet and most of the templates I used had to be modified to work around this huge bottom print margin!

This caused a huge headache for me. However, once I rebuild my own scripts and templates, I believe I can work around this.

Overall I really like the printer and one of the reasons I chose this printer over the 3800 is one that few people know about. The 4880 has this suction thing that will prevent the paper from curling up and hitting the print head. I had issues with this from time to time on my Canon i9900.

So far the printer has been relatively fast for me and I am so confident in the prints that I just let it print and print. If there is an issue, with my print, it's usually been a poor setup on my part (forgot to set proper profile, forgot about unusually LARGE print margin).

I won't give it 5 stars because I still want more for the price I paid for this printer. The .55in bottom print margin and swapping ink cartridges should be addressed before I can say that I would freely recommend this printer to anybody.

However my prints look great and come out pretty quick!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and Reliable, August 22, 2008
Robert Kaufman (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
I chose the Epson 4880 for several reasons: past experience with Epson products, my estimate of the printing cost and the quality of the samples I've seen. I have not been disappointed.

Let's start with the pros:
Epson quality. After nearly a thousand 8 x 10" (and equivalent) prints over the past three months, this printer looks and acts as good as new. No breakdowns, no degradation of print quality, nada.

Economy. I keep a close watch on consumables. I'd estimate that my per-print cost is around USD 0.75 - 0.85 per 8 x 10" page, excluding paper. This is considerably less than cheaper inkjet printers and with few notable exceptions, is unrivaled by same-class inkjets or most labs for that matter. My notable exception is the "minilab" class of device, which for an up-front investment of tens of thousands of dollars, can product 4 x 6" prints for under a dime.

Quality. This printer produces professional quality prints. I've had many compliments and never a complaint about the print quality.

Now, the cons.
Matte vs. Photo Black. If you want to switch between them, you'll burn about USD 40-50 worth of ink each time you do this. As such, I started with the more versatile Photo Black cartridge and intend to stay with it through the life of this printer.

Bulk. At 90 pounds, it's difficult to take to events. A custom Pelican case for this printer will run several hundred dollars.

All told, I'm very satisfied with my choice. Next time I'm in the market for a printer, I expect to purchase a descendant of this printer, perhaps one or two generations down the line.

3.0 out of 5 stars High Maintenance, January 27, 2011
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
I really like the way this printer prints. The color and clarity are almost flawless. It is a very expensive printer to keep up. each ink cartridge is in the range of $55 to $60 and it takes 8. that is not that big a deal until you have to print almost three times a week to keep the print heads clean. you can't let this printer sit for more than a few days or it clogs the heads. I use more ink doing test prints than actual prints. If you have a business where you print constantly then this is a great printer, but if you only do occasional printing then I would look for something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grea Printer!, March 28, 2010
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
I've had this Printer for about three weeks now and I love it! However, It is a beast! Make sure you have a heavy solid stand to put it on. It does weigh 150 lbs! I have mine on a solid Oak coffee table. I am a Photographer, and So far I have framed a few 13" X "19 prints and they look stunning! I'm excited to make some larger ones. Very professional looking prints! I'm very happy with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for Epson 4000, February 1, 2010
Michael B (Santa Barbara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
This purchase was for the replacement of an Epson 4000 printer that was no longer supported using Mac OS 10.6. There were some minor difficulties setting up the network printing options, but support had seen the issue before and had me reset the network card via the control panel on the printer... everything is fine.

The output is better than the 4000 and the print speed seems a little faster. Ink usage I'm still testing, but it seems to be a little better.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !! Printer!!, April 29, 2008
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
The Epson Stylus Pro 4880 is a Fantastic Printer. It make beautiful large relatively quick prints. One thing to keep in mind is that it's more expensive to operate. It takes 8 ink cartridges at an average low price of around $40/$45 dollars a cartridge. So between that and the larger papers your expenses add up quickly. If you buy it from Amazon be aware to specify Fed Ex and not the free UPS shipping they offer. I took the free shipping and the one I received was opened up, damaged, parts missing with gaping holes in the box and only taped back together and USED. Make sure you specify Brand New.Which is what I finally received from Amazon. FedEx didn't honor the 2 Day express that Amazon paid for. (they claimed bad weather) but the box was not damaged and the unit was perfect. I strongly recommend the Epson 4880.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this printer. It does what it is suppose to do., May 25, 2014
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
I am a professional photographer, I have a studio were i do most of my shoots. I have been using the R2000 for about 1 year now and i've had very little if not no problem at all with it. However, the R2000 can only do so much. Moreover the Ink cartridges runout too quickly. Most of the time the gloss optimizer will run out before all other cartridges reaches 50%. With that being said i needed a printer that would give me more juice. When i got the Epson Stylus Pro 4880 i was first surprised about the size of the printer even after reading the specs. The printer is huge and heavy compared to the R2000 or the R3000. The color accuracy after choosing the right profile for your media is damn near perfect. Just Beautiful! I printed 7-13"x19" Portraits and the ink levels barely moved. In case you are wondering, It took approx. 05:03min for each 13"x19" with resolution set to (1440 dpi). I heard that clogging is an issue for the printer when you don't print that often. I print large prints probably every 2-3days and i haven't had any clogging problems... yet. One thing worth mentioning though, if you plan on printing on cut sheet paper, there will be a 0.55inch border on the bottom margin. apparently you can't print borderless on cut sheet paper. Borderless is only supported on the roll paper according to Epson support. Make a template on Photoshop and you should be fine. So if you are thinking about picking up this printer for events and location shooting, you might want to pick up different printer. However, if you have a location or business were u do a lot of printing, I would recommend this printer. The ink is a little bit pricy, but the ink will last. Although the first initial ink charge took nearly half my ink. That will happen again when i change my ink cartridges. Check out [...] for cheap ink.
The only reason i didn't give the printer a 5 is the switching between the photo black and matte black. You are only able to have one of them in there at a time. I looked at the Stylus pro 4900 which can use both simultaneously plus Green and Orange. but i heard that the 4900 have a serious clogging issue. I hope this review was helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pro4880woes, September 28, 2012
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
I've had this printer almost a year. I read one review that said you have to print every couple days or the heads clog. I find this very true and I find I have to print almost everyday or one channel or more will have head clogging. It is aggravating that Epson hasn't figured out how to resolve this problem other that telling you to run the cleaning cycle which uses a ton of ink. Also, I don't know why Epson hasn't figured out how to allow individual color channels to be cleaned by the cleaning cycle. The printer does great prints but, being economical it is not. Reason, you either have to print everyday or run a cleaning cycle which eats up your ink.

2.0 out of 5 stars wastes lots of ink and paper, May 10, 2012
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
Epson Stylus Pro 4800 Color Inkjet Printerthis printer is the ficklest printer that i have ever owned, it makes mis-prints, on hundreds of dollars worth of paper and wastes hen it works properly it makes a very nice print, but that's only 1 out of every 2 tries, the rest of the time, it prints on half of a sheet and then says something like "communication error" and wastes the expensive paper and ink. It gets tiring after a while.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lousy printer ALWAYS prints dark no matter what settings., January 5, 2011
This review is from: Epson Stylus Pro 4880 Printer (SP4880K3) (Office Product)
I have had a nightmare with this printer since I purchased it. It ALWAYS prints too dark from Adobe Photoshop. I have read COUNTLESS articles about how I need to disable the printer's color management and use only Photoshop color management. Been there, done that. I have also calibrated my monitor countless times - trying to get the color to match. I have a super cheap Canon printer that works fine so it has to be this printer. Avoid this product.

Rate and Discover Movies