Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

on December 11, 2008
I am SO SO SO unhappy for buying this printer. If I continued to use it, it would cost me over $1 per page in ink supplies - why? Because I print very few pages, and this printer consumes ink without printing.
Apparently, every time it is turned on, or every time the computer is turned on or every time it is connected to a computer, it is programmed to "use" ink, or at least make you/the computer think it has used ink.

I have printed less than 20 pages TOTAL in approx 2 months, and all but 5 of them with the "Use Black Ink Only" option in properties, yet, all 3 color cartridges are down to 1 notch before totally empty, and the black level is 2 notches above empty. A set of black and color ink cartridges is about $40 - you do the math - less than 40 pages printed = $40 in ink?

Searching the Internet, I learn that Epson (as well as some other ink jet makers) intentionally do this - this should be illegal. Someone needs to sue these unethical greedy Sob's.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2009
I came on here just to see what others thought of their printer, because I'm so mad at mine. The salesman got me with "this is so great--you only have to replace the ink color that's out". I agree with you that it runs through ink like there's no tomorrow. What I'm maddest about is that once one cartridge runs out of ink, the entire printer is disabled until you replace that one cartridge. I want to print in BLACK, but I CAN'T, because I'm out of MAGENTA AND CYAN!!! What a racket! (By the way, remanufactured/recycled cartridges are not readily available for this honey.)I'm done with this ridiculous thing, and I'm going back to Canon or HP. I never say "there should be a law", because I'm a conservative, lower-middle class person who believes in capitalism. Epson will get the message when enough people read ours.
on March 16, 2009
Cyan cartridge ran dry so the entire printer is inoperable - even black/white. I went out on Espon's website and discovered that if at least one cartridge is dry it won't work.

This was my second set of print cartridges and I couldn't believe how fast they ran dry.

I couldn't figure out why the color cartridges were running out so fast, since I mainly use black/white. It was so bad that I looked around for leaking ink.

Very noisy - the cat jumps and my heart skips a beat every time it gets ready to print.

The only way someone could give this a rating over 1 star is a: they haven't yet had to replace the cartridges b: they have access to free printer cartridges.

I'm literally throwing it away and going back to an HP. I got this junker free with a camera and got rid of my old HP, what a mistake that was.
on March 8, 2009
Do NOT Buy This!

First and foremost, the ink management is horrible. I am an English teacher and I can't barely get 60 pages out of the black ink, even in fast economy quality. The ink costs $18/ a piece. That means $18 for the cyan, $18 for the magenta, $18 for the yellow, and $18+ for the black. This printer's sale is affordable, but it becomes expensive with the ink.

Second, the scanning is horrible. It scans in pieces or fragments, and then prints those fragments and then scans the next fragment. Scanning is slow and very tedious.

Third, The media control for xD/SD/MS Pro/CF and Pict Bridge is absolutely useless. The interface and loading time is extremely slow. I do not find any of those useful. The external USB drive to load into the computer is so slow. I would have never brought this computer.

I am COMPLETELY unsatisfied. The ink and printing quality is horrible. I would never buy another EPSON in my life.
on December 25, 2008
I had previously owned a Epson CX3200 printer that I had bought for around $80.00, I had pretty good luck with it and it lasted a couple of years. When I saw the NX400 printer by Epspon for approx $80.00 I figured it would be a good buy. I had read some bad reviews on this printer, I should have listened. I would not recommend this printer. It is extremely noisy and it uses up an incredible amount of ink. It appears that after only using one set of ink cartridges that the nozzles are plugged up. I bought another set of cartridges (very expensive) and it still didn't work. The new cartridges are as much as a brand new printer. I did not want to throw this printer away but I couldn't afford to keep it. I now own a HP C5580 and so far I like it. It is very quiet. I paid $120.00 for it at Circuit City. I also bought the extended warrrenty for $50.00. I never buy a warrenty but with a printer I think it might be a good idea.
on March 9, 2009
The printer business has become as honest as a Bernie Madoff investment. In this case, Epson sells this cheap hunk of plastic with cartridges that are worth more than the printer itself. It's loaded with features, but the quality of the electronics is awful. Usually, cheap inkjet printers at least last one day longer than the warranty, now they can't even make it that long.

In my case, it lasted three weeks before the paper jam detector failed and everything registered as a paper jam, and apparently this is happening to a lot of other Epson users.

I did get Epson to send me a replacement printer under warranty, but they had to place a "hold" on my credit card until they get the useless failed printer back. Smart business practice, guys. Add insult to the frustration. And I expect the replacement printer to last at least 4 weeks this time.

But I'm picking on Epson here --- they're just another electronics company that uses a recession as an excuse to make their products even worse. Truth is, all printers are a ponzi scheme these days. My recommendation? Buy a printer that was well made 2-3 years ago before the printer companies decided to make their money ENTIRELY from cartridges.

Speaking of that, perhaps we can save the auto industry that way! Give the cars away for free and make money by selling tires that have to be changed every 1000 miles! Do it the Epson way, and we'll save America!
on November 4, 2009
I bought three of these printers. Part of my business involves printing custom gift certificates at local area malls. These things are cheap, shiny vacuums that suck your ink dollars right out of your wallet and transmit them to Epson. Don't buy one!!!! 1) The NX400 won't print at all (even in black) if ANY one cartridge has been 'deemed' empty. 2) cartridges 'deemed' empty have PLENTY of ink in them (just shake one) 3)They go 'empty' FAST - even if you aren't using that color! 4) they have chips on the cartridge that 'reminds' the software that it is empty so you can't use the rest of the ink or refill it 5) the cartridges are expensive 6) it is such a blatant ink scam it leaves me pining for the days when they took a little time to camouflage crap they sold you. It is so frustrating to have work that needs to be done and have to drive to the store and fork over $40 so you can print a few more pages. I'd like to return these right through their CEO's corporate window...whoever that is....Darth someone probably.....This is the last EPSON purchase I will ever make (and I have been spreading the word so others are warned).
on June 4, 2009
I bought this all-in-one back in December 2008 after buying a new iMac... my old scanner wasn't Mac-compatible and apparently they no longer sell stand-alone scanners any more.
After six months, I've replaced all the color cartridges TWICE (WTF?) and now it decides that anything beyond the first half inch of a piece of paper is a paper jam, which shuts everything down. I wasted over 50 sheets of paper trying to print a simple 8-page document... and so far I've only managed to get the first three pages. I've had other Epson printers (printer ONLY) in the past that gave me no trouble at all... that's why I decided to buy an Epson again this time. Between the noise, the constant phantom paper jams, and the way it sucks up ink... I don't even WANT Epson to replace it. Unless, of course, they're willing to replace it with another brand... like that's gonna happen.
on May 28, 2009
I have always had HP printers but decided to purchase this epson to do t-shirt transfers. I am very computer saavy and I know what I am doing. This printer only prints half of the page when it wants to, it is constantly out of ink, it thinks that it is out of paper when it is not, and the most common thing it does is jam, which is quite a pain to fix because there is no easy way to get to the jam. Don't waste your money, time, or energy. You will be so disappointed. It splatters the ink, keep in mind I have only had this thing for 2 weeks and I have replaced the ink twice, cyan 3 times. I have wasted tons of transfer paper and ink because of the way it just only prints half of a page when it wants to. It ain't worth the hassle.
on August 9, 2009
I got this printer for free and it's still not worth it. I only print B&W, yet the printer believes that the Cyan is out of ink. How could that be? The printer now won't let me print anything (even B&W) unless I replace the Cyan ink.

They sell the printer cheap, but it will cost you a fortune on ink (probably a $1.00 a page). Even for free this printer is not worth it.

It is should be illegal to sell this product, as it is a scam.

See 1 answered question