5.0 out of 5 stars A pure pleasure to use
I spent months evaluating printers before picking the r300. I am very satisfied with my choice.
I'll start out with the negatives. I have 4 criticisms about the printer:
1. The ink warning light comes on long before you are out of ink.
2. The default print settings appear to be designed around (dark) Adobe Gamma PC video
3. It is not designed to...
Published on January 15, 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars The disk destroyer
Published on April 12, 2004 by wasagamike

5.0 out of 5 stars A pure pleasure to use, January 15, 2004
By A Customer
I'll start out with the negatives. I have 4 criticisms about the printer:
1. The ink warning light comes on long before you are out of ink.
3. It is not designed to make borderless prints on 3rd party (Kodak) photo paper
4. While the CD printing produces gorgeous images, the ink will smear if it gets wet.
Each of these issues is addressed very easily:
1. Don't change the ink cartridges until you really run out.
2. Use the advanced options to tweak the gamma, brightness and contrast and save the settings. Pros will make their own curves anyway.
3. Epson paper is better than anything else, but if you have to use other paper, you can "fake" it to get borderless prints with a custom paper setting.
4. Don't get the CD's wet. Excepting my own tests, I've never had the slightest smear on a CD that I printed from the Epson. Odds are that it'll never get wet, so don't worry.
I should add that when I print on quality Epson and Kodak photo paper, the ink sets very well, so that it won't smear EVEN if it gets wet. I swear, my friend dropped one of my photo-prints in my fishtank and it looks just as good today as it did before it got wet.
I've left prints in the sun in the back of my car. The r300 ink hasn't faded (on Kodak and Epson photo paper). The prints that I had from my old Epson and HP printers are very faded. This ink is durable!
I've discovered that I can even get superior iron ons from crummy inkjet iron on paper when I use this printer. It's more than just the resolution. Where other inks tend to vaporize under the iron, producing fuzzy edges, the r300 images remain sharp.
I've tested the output on this thing every way from Sunday and I haven't found the flaw yet.
I tried the smart memory slots and I hooked up a USB zip drive and yes, it all works although I'll probably never use those features for more than contact sheets. The uncorrected prints were exceptionally good.
Basically, what I'm saying is that the printer is vastly superior to any other inkjet that I've used in my home or at work -- and I do graphic design for a living. I find it hard to believe that anyone who tries an r300 won't fall in love with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smart Buy, March 22, 2004
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
The prints made by this printer really do look like what you'd get from a photo lab, and I dare say better if you know how to use Photoshop or any similar image editing program. What I see out of my monitor is exactly what I get out of the printer, and this is without doing any calibrating whatsoever. This printer has exceeded my expectations, especially when one looks at the $180.00 price tag. I like how it monitors the ink levels by counting each drop that comes out of each cartridge. And each cartridge can be replaced individually. It prints best on Epson premium glossy paper, but Hammermill and HP premium glossies work well too. This printer is a smart buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine, January 14, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
I knew there had to be something about this printer, considering every shop, both local and online, seemed to be out of stock. I started seeing them turning up on ebay at 20-30 dollars above retail. After I finally tracked one down and installed it, I can understand why. This is one beautiful machine. All of the pet peeves that I had from my older Epson (Stylus Photo 740) are gone. It doesn't take time to warm up, it has a small "footprint" on my desk, it is very quiet, it has 7 separate ink cartridges, you can click a box and print in black and white even when the color inks are dry, and the software is top-notch.
The CD/DVD printing works...well, MUCH MUCH better than I ever imagined. I couldn't believe I was holding a CD-R when I was done. The fleshtones on the photos that I printed were very realistic. I asked my wife to pick which was the photo and which was the printout and she couldn't tell. Used in tandem with my Perfection 2400 scanner, the R300 printer is a powerful tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Epson Printer so far, January 11, 2004
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
I had purchase the Epson Photo 900 printer because I really wanted CD/DVD printer capabilities. I also wanted it to do a nice job of photo printing. Several weeks after purchasing the 900, I saw the R300 in action and kind of kicked myself for not doing some extra research before buying the 900. I finally sold the 900 on ebay and purchased the R300. Let me tell you this, every aspect of this printer is simply awesome. I am using this with MacOS X and it is simply flawless. The CD/DVD printing is 10 times better then the 900, the media reader works perfect, the computer-less printing works amazing, design of how you go about printing onto CD/DVD is superior over the 900 or any other product in this price range I have seen. The only exception to this printer would probably be the R300M which has the color preview monitor. BTW, the photo quality output of this printer is literally second to none. I have seen this compared against HP and Canon and it holds well against both!!!
If you are looking for an awesome all around printer at only $180, this is definitely the way to go!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just eats ink but a good printer, July 25, 2004
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
This is absolutely a fantastic printer for digital pictures. The colors are crisp, it uses 6 different color inks which give it much broader range in the colors it can make. The DPI is outstanding and it is very easy to use. You can either put a memory card (or stick or whatever medium you use) or you can connect your camera directly to the printer via a USB 2.0 cable OR you can put the pictures on your computer first, edit them, and then print them from there (recommended way).

My only problem with it is that it goes through ink fast! Now that might just be how these printers are but man, the ink is expensive and you have 6 different colors to maintain (however since all of the inks are seperate, if you run out of black you can just replace the black ink, it eliminates a LOT of waste when you still might have some magenta or yellow or cyan left but out of black, before you'd have to just throw that away) and they're about $20 each, from what i've seen. You can probably print out about 50-60 pictures b4 you'd need more ink so bear that in mind. But remember, you only print out the pictures that you like so it's a good trade off.

Highly recommend this printer, but be ready to mortgage your house to buy some ink.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful prints, ink problem, April 27, 2005
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
I've heard some complaints that people have had to greatly tweak the settings to get the printout color accurate. I've never encountered this problem, but I HAVE encountered a different issue.

I've purchased 3 sets (18 cartridges) of ink since I bought this printer. One set was generic, the other two sets were genuine Epson. I have had a serious problem with diminishing print quality. With the generic set, my ink warning light came on, telling me to replace the cartridge. When I took the cartridge out to replace it, I could feel (and hear when I shook it), that the cartridge was still half-full of ink.

Another SERIOUS issue regarding ink supply, is I've been having to clean the print heads before and after every print job. It all started when I printed a photo and a HUGE drop of cyan ink landed right in the center of the image as I was printing. The rollers then smudged and dragged the drop all over the printout. I cleaned the print heads but the real problem was the ROLLERS. They were all covered with cyan ink and no matter how much I cleaned the print heads, I was still getting cyan-colored ink lines on all my printouts. I had no choice but to open the top and go in with alcohol swabs and Q-Tips, and slowly remove all the ink from the rollers.

Then it happened when I was printing on CDs/DVDs. I put the tray in properly and the printer was telling me I was low on black in. I began printing and walked away. When I came back, I had a CD with a huge glob of black, streaky ink ALL over the CD and all over the CD tray used to print with. I had to throw away the CD and soak the tray in soapy water... and go back into the printer with alcohol swabs and Q-Tips and clean the rollers off again because now they were coated with black ink.

I've since thrown out about 8 DVDs and 4 CDs because of this problem. Who wants to keep a streaky, blotchy DVD? Even if I'd wanted to keep it, the ink seemed like it would take 3 days to dry properly because it was such thick globs that had seemingly fallen out of the ink cartridge. It's as though the cartridge has lost its vacuum and all the ink was falling out when the print head opened. The ink dried in clumps that you could actually peel off - like when latex paint drips off the side of the can it comes in.

I've since replaced ALL the ink cartridges with genuine Epson ones and I've carefully cleaned all the rollers. I have not have the leaky ink problem as of yet but I am getting dull stripes across my printouts, like the printer forgot to throuroughly print in that spot. I'm hoping I can correct this with more head cleaning and nozzle checking.

If you're going to buy this printer - don't take the chance with generic ink cartridges. It seems like you'll save money but in actuality, you'll spend more time cleaning up the mess it causes and you may have to buy a new printer in the end. I don't know if that's what caused my problem but it seemed to all start with the use of the generic cartridges. They're set up differently than geniune Epson brand cartridges. They have a hole in the top of the cartridge that is covered by a label. You must peel off the label before inserting the cartridge in the printer and you can hear a *hiss* noise as you reveal the hole - almost as though you're releasing the vaccuum that keeps the ink in. That scared me from the start and I think that could be where my problem lies.

Hope I've helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought mine for the CD/DVD printing, November 5, 2004
Amazon Customer "kepela" (Chatsworth, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
It does a really nice job. I use the white printable discs and the print colors come out pretty good. It takes 3 minutes (or just over) to print one disc. I've printed about 50 DVDs so far and all have printed without a hitch. I've even used the printer to print a few color docs and they too are very nice. The one thing I dislike is that you have to remove the disc printing board, or holder, when you turn the printer off. If you try to turn the printer on with the board in place, you get an error telling you to remove it. So if you use the printer mainly for disc printing, as I do, it becomes a bit of a hassle. I've found that it doesn't seem to use ink any more than any of my ink just printers, though the Epson inks are very expensive (they should be giving the printer away for free, and they wonder why we look for "compatible" inks). I'm pleased with the printer and glad I got it. I was going to get the new 800, but for the price, this does what I need and, unless the printing time is considerably shorter, I'm glad I have the extra $200 for ink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great printer for the money!, January 30, 2004
BH1 (Macon, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
I am very picky about image quality. So I don't buy anything at first glance. After thorough investigation and looking at reviews here and other sites, it came down to this vs. a comparable Canon and the HP 7760. I went with this because of its size, six separate ink tanks, and its CD printing feature. I use it exclusively for digital pictures from my Olympus digi camera (family pics mostly, nothing fancy) and an older DeskJet for any charts or presentations.
I expected simply good quality prints, but this printer has really surpassed my expectations. My prints look like them came from a lab. The local lab will never see my money again. In addition, Epson paper is great and has a good price. The ink tanks are modestly priced as well. For less than $300 you can't go wrong with this printer. Enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars The disk destroyer, April 12, 2004
wasagamike (Toronto Ontario, leafs rule) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
I purchased this printer specifically to print CD's. When I brought it home, I tested it on 4 x 6 Epson Photo Paper, and the reults were impressive to say the least. I printed 3 photos. I then setup to print CD's. the first dozen or so discs came out beautifully. After that, it was nothing but disaster. Ink contaminating the roller wheels for the cd tray has ruined the disks. After carefully cleaning all exposed parts and using all cleaning functions available on the printer, the same thing occurs. Once it starts leaking ink, it becomes a nice looking paperwight. I am days behind schedule. I returned the printer to the store I purhased it from and they happily replaced the printer without any problem. New printer, same problem. I can find no support at Epson's site mentioning this problem. The disks are good quality (Mitsui) and a bit expensive compared to standard blanks but I wanted a better product. I have $650 invested in this project. I will now have to buy more disks.
If you are just printing photos, you will be very happy.
But if you want to print CD's, I suggest another brand of printer might be more practical and less aggravating. One last thing. Epson's site has enough bad links to make support search a frustrating experience. I requested support via email a couple of days ago, still havent heard back, tomorrow I go the live telephone route and if that doesnt help, the Canadian Head office is around the corner from me, and I will take it directly to them. Stay tuned for update.
Big disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has its good points but the bad points outweight them., June 28, 2004
Chad Simmons "gideond" (Staunton, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
First the PROS:
1) excellent print quality on both paper and CD/DVD media.
2) Has card readers built in and ability to capture directly from it's own USB port from devices such as a digital camera.
3) card port can be used in passthrough so it acts just like a normal card reader.
4) fairly quiet overall.
5) not a bad price for the printer itself and you can get the R200, same printer without card reader basically for about $100.
But the Cons:
1) Ink costs a fortune for it and I have yet to find a generic ink that will work all that well in it. Carts are very difficult to refill.
2) Sucks up ink like cheap wine. It prints light compared to some printers so you have to set it to darken the print, using more ink in the process, if you want a true to color picture and the ink drops rapidly.
3) When you replace a cart it drops the others by about 1/10 of the meter for no reason at all. Once more way for epson to milk more ink money out of you.
4) reports ink is out far before its really gone, forcing you to use a third party utility to trick it into letting you use all your ink, and that utility can damage the printer if you aren't careful with it.
5) I've noticed some streaking from the black head on almost every cover I've printed.
6) It likes to catch the front corners of the paper and ink them black by accident. I guess because it doesn't secure the front edge before printing. This may be why I'm getting streaking too. its possible the black head is screwed up from the corners of paper poking into it.
7) takes forever to power on when you want to use it.
8) Draft printing is horrible. It comes out very light, unlike the HPs which still look good in draft mode.
Overall it gives good prints but has too many drawbacks for me. I've gotten to just using it for DVD/CD and some photo work. I'll get an HP for text and other photo work and save the fortune I'm spending in overpriced short lived ink.

Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer