Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Epson Claria T098920 98 Extra High-capacity Inkjet Cartridge Color Multipack-Cyan/Light Cyan/Magenta/Light Magenta/Yellow
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 682 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on July 29, 2011
I've been a professional photographer for many MANY moons! Up until about 5 months ago, I used an Epson Workforce 600 printer as my everyday printer... for documents, and everyday photo printing. For documents, it was an excellent printer. It was also "good" for printing photos. However for my important gallery photos, I use my Epson Stylus Pro 3880... a professional photo printer. The problem with the Workforce 600 is that it used Durabrite ink, which is a pigment based ink. In the past, all pigment based ink had a problem with glossy paper called metamerism. That's a property where the ink sits on TOP of the paper surface. The results were that when viewed under different lighting conditions the color appears to shift a little bit, and even caused "bronzing", especially in the blacks when viewed under spectral lighting. This effect was most noticable in black and white prints. Also, when viewed at certain angles the images would appear less glossy and uneven when going from lighter colors, or clear, to dark colors... almost like a negative image!

My latest SMALL printer is the Epson Artisan 810 printer, which uses Claria ink... a dye based ink. No more bronzing or metamerism! The glossy prints have an even gloss and truly look like regular photo prints from your local pro camera store!... some small drug store labs still give you prints with uneven gloss... or semi-gloss. Also, Claria ink adds two more colors, Light Magenta and Light Cyan which means that you get a potentially wider color gamut (depending on your color settings) than you do with the old Durabrite 4-color ink system.
The problems with pigment based inks have been pretty much eliminated, due to micro encapsulation of the ink droplets in the best pigment based inks. The encapsulation surrounds each droplet with a polymer, which almost completely eliminates their previous problems. I am extremely happy with this color pack not just because it saves money over buying the cartridges individually, but also because it uses Claria ink!
44 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2010
The archival inks from Epson are so cost effective because you only change the single ink that is running out. Now they have the 98 series of High capacity ink (translate MORE ink in the cartridge) you have to change ink less. I checked MANY different sources and this was the best value for the money going. If you have Amazon PRIME there is also NO shipping charge!
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 3, 2011
If you want to save money buy the 98 ink cartridges intead of the 99 ink cartridges. Also, if you plan to replace the black cartridge get the six pack that includes black (link at bottom of review) instead of this five pack that has all of the colors but no black.

In ISO/IEC 24711 tests
Black 98 ~520 pages
Color 98 ~805 pages
Color 99 ~510 pages

At current Amazon prices bying full color set and separate black:
Black 98 2.89 cents/page (individual)
Color 98 1.27 cents/page (5 pack)
Color 99 1.47 cents/page (5 pack)

I highly recommend the Epson Photo papers as they are designed for these Epson inks and Espon printers specifically. I tested the "Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy" and "Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy" and recommend both. Looking at the same image side by side on the two papers the differences are almost imperceptible. The detail and color are identical under the most careful scrutiny. A few differences emerge under very careful observation:
* The Ultra Premium Paper is slightly heavier paper, this adds to its stiffness. When picking up a 4x6" photo from the 4" edge there is about half as much bend vs the Premium Paper.
* The Ultra Premium Paper has an ISO brightness of 96, versus 92 for the Premium Paper. This makes no difference in color rich areas of photos but in light highlights if you stare long enough you can convince yourself they are brighter in the Ultra Premium. Telling the difference in brightness requires good light, identical photos side by side, and far too much scrutiny.
* The Premium costs about 12.7 cents per 4x6 sheet in packs of 100
* The Ultra Premium costs about 22.7 cents per 4x6 sheet in packs of 100

Given the differences are almost imperceptible and the price difference is almost double I'd recommend the Premium Photo Paper Glossy for every day use and the Ultra Premium only if you are entering a photo contest or have money burning a hold in your pocket. Photos on the Premium paper will be better than you'd get at your local Walgreens or Costco.

Epson High-Gloss Premium Borderless Photo Paper, 4 x 6 Inches, 100 Sheets per Pack (S041727)
Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy, 4 x 6, 100 Sheets (S042174)
Full SET (6 Cartridges) No.98 High Capacity Genuine Cartridges for Epson Artisan 700 800 710 810
22 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2009
Epson Artisan 800 Wireless Photo All-in-One Printer (Black)(C11CA29201)
Epson Artisan 800 printer is the best inkjet printer I have ever owned!!!!
I have bought just about every make of ink jet printer there is over the years. I can give a list of printers to avoid, but that is another horror story.
I use ink jet printers primarily for photos as I have not found a lazer printer that can reproduce photos as well as an ink jet.
I read the reviews on Amazon before I bought this printer and I can say that I was a little gun shy about the issue of ink use and other downfalls people wrote about. I bought this on sale at a major office supply store with the guarantee that if I didn't like it I could return it.
I have owned it about 9 months and printed a lot of 4x6, 5x7 and a few 8x10 pictures. The detail and color is beautiful, the printing fast, you can handle the prints right out of the printer. Documents look like they were printed on a lazer. I have found that it is very good on ink. At the time of this writing I have gone thru 2 sets of ink cartridges. Note: ONLY use Epson Ink and Epson Photo Paper. Like most printers, if you use aftermarket supplies you will get very bad results. Inexpensive supplies that don't work is no bargain.
Being wireless is great. The only draw back is the scanner is slow, no big deal to me as I use a lazer all in one for that.
Bottom line is if your looking for a great printer I highly recommend the Artisan 800! Hope this helps.
on October 18, 2011
I learned my lesson last time when I tried to save bucks and buy from one of the inks from a 'discount' replaceable ink website. Suffice to say that my printer never worked properly after the inks were installed. I only buy the authentic Epson ink and haven't had a problem since. Costs more, but save yourself from the headaches!
on July 25, 2010
Definitely use this over the regular capacity (99) ink cartridges. The life and number of pages printed is way beyond the extra cost. I've not calculated, because I don't know how many pages I got from the regular capacity cartridges. But I can tell you that these are lasting weeks beyond what the others did. I print lots of school related items as a home school mom of three, and these are really saving me a bundle.
on December 15, 2008
We purchased this printer because we were having trouble printing photos with our prior all-in-one printer, and this one had great reviews in our local newspaper and online.

As advertised, the printer setup was relatively easy. The biggest challenge I had was in loading paper tray, which left me wondering if I had done it right until I actually printed anything. I still haven't done the network setup for the printer, partly because you can't scan images to your computer using that setup. You must use the USB connection to do so.

Once set-up, I was impressed by how easy it was to get our camera connected and to work with photos from the computer.

I was very unimpressed, however, with the print quality we were getting on photo paper. We were using some photo paper that we already had lying around the house to do the printing, and the images all seemed grainy. You could see ink dots all over the images, and while they would look fine from about 5 feet away, they looked horrible at arm's length.

Frustrated with the results we were getting and feeling like we had been taken for a ride, we decided to give the recommended Epson brand photo paper a try as a last ditch effort. There was no sample was included with the printer, but that brand was recommended throughout the documentation. The specific paper we purchased is the: 100-SHEET 4X6 Glossy Ultra Premium Photo Paper

That paper made all of the difference. The images that we're printing now are matching the descriptions provided by others. They're high quality, just like a photo printed from a shop.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
Well, we all get sick when we have to buy replacement ink cartridges for our printers. Having been in the computer field for decades, I can say that this is entirely due to public opinion surveys. Early on, people said: "$400 is WAY too expensive for a printer!" and poof! We got our wish. They dropped the price of the printers and raised the price of the ink astronomically, so that after a year or two you're actually paying MORE than you would have with the expensive printer / cheap ink combination, but I digress. I know that many people swear by aftermarket ink, but I have to say that I have had several Epson printers develop unfixable clogs in the print head (which basically means throw away the printer) when I used several different brands of aftermarket ink. I have never had an unfixable clog using Epson ink, so take that for what it's worth. When you are comparing prices on Epson ink, make sure that you are comparing 98 cartridges to 98 cartridges. A lot of these Multi-Packs have a 98 Black cartridge, but all the rest are the low-yield 99 cartridges. Happy printing!
on November 29, 2010
Not much can really be said. It's ink and it's Epson for my Epson Artisan 810 I really don't have a lot of options. The best thing was the price which is about half the price of any of the retail chains.
There are many good reasons to use OEM ink vs refills and Epson's is an excellent example why.

Better prints - There's no doubt in my mind that the actual ink is a better, truer color reproduction.

Longer lasting prints - Having used both, again there's no doubt in my mind.

Reliability - I've never had a problem and I've used dozens of these.

I recently went to use a printer with these cartridges that had sat in very low humidity, untouched for 6 months, fully expecting dried out unusable ink and it works like I used it yesterday, that was a nice surprise.

If you aren't doing high quality prints and can deal with 2-3 of ten being a problem, then buy refills but if time is money, then stick to OEM cartridges is my feeling on the matter.

These high capacity cartridges aren't so much a better deal as being convenient, because of more prints, less replacing. About 50% more ink and cost, don't forget to check Epson's site, it's cheaper at times.