5.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful & Affordable Photos With This Ink On Correct Paper
If you want to save money buy the 98 ink cartridges intead of the 99 ink cartridges. Also, if you plan to replace the black cartridge get the six pack that includes black (link at bottom of review) instead of this five pack that has all of the colors but no black.

In ISO/IEC 24711 tests
Black 98 ~520 pages
Color 98 ~805 pages
Color 99 ~510...
Published on October 3, 2011 by Joel Schopp

3.0 out of 5 stars Why so separate?
Published on August 13, 2009 by Vynny

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful & Affordable Photos With This Ink On Correct Paper, October 3, 2011
Joel Schopp (Austin, TXStates) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Epson Claria T098920 98 Extra High-capacity Inkjet Cartridge Color Multipack-Cyan/Light Cyan/Magenta/Light Magenta/Yellow (Office Product)

In ISO/IEC 24711 tests
Black 98 ~520 pages
Color 98 ~805 pages
Color 99 ~510 pages

At current Amazon prices bying full color set and separate black:
Black 98 2.89 cents/page (individual)
Color 98 1.27 cents/page (5 pack)
Color 99 1.47 cents/page (5 pack)

I highly recommend the Epson Photo papers as they are designed for these Epson inks and Espon printers specifically. I tested the "Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy" and "Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy" and recommend both. Looking at the same image side by side on the two papers the differences are almost imperceptible. The detail and color are identical under the most careful scrutiny. A few differences emerge under very careful observation:
* The Ultra Premium Paper is slightly heavier paper, this adds to its stiffness. When picking up a 4x6" photo from the 4" edge there is about half as much bend vs the Premium Paper.
* The Ultra Premium Paper has an ISO brightness of 96, versus 92 for the Premium Paper. This makes no difference in color rich areas of photos but in light highlights if you stare long enough you can convince yourself they are brighter in the Ultra Premium. Telling the difference in brightness requires good light, identical photos side by side, and far too much scrutiny.
* The Premium costs about 12.7 cents per 4x6 sheet in packs of 100
* The Ultra Premium costs about 22.7 cents per 4x6 sheet in packs of 100

Given the differences are almost imperceptible and the price difference is almost double I'd recommend the Premium Photo Paper Glossy for every day use and the Ultra Premium only if you are entering a photo contest or have money burning a hold in your pocket. Photos on the Premium paper will be better than you'd get at your local Walgreens or Costco.

Epson High-Gloss Premium Borderless Photo Paper, 4 x 6 Inches, 100 Sheets per Pack (S041727)
Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy, 4 x 6, 100 Sheets (S042174)
Full SET (6 Cartridges) No.98 High Capacity Genuine Cartridges for Epson Artisan 700 800 710 810

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhh! Much better than Dura Brite inks!!, July 29, 2011
Joseph A. Nowak "Prophotoman" (West of the Mississippi River!) - See all my reviews
I've been a professional photographer for many MANY moons! Up until about 5 months ago, I used an Epson Workforce 600 printer as my everyday printer... for documents, and everyday photo printing. For documents, it was an excellent printer. It was also "good" for printing photos. However for my important gallery photos, I use my Epson Stylus Pro 3880... a professional photo printer. The problem with the Workforce 600 is that it used Durabrite ink, which is a pigment based ink. In the past, all pigment based ink had a problem with glossy paper called metamerism. That's a property where the ink sits on TOP of the paper surface. The results were that when viewed under different lighting conditions the color appears to shift a little bit, and even caused "bronzing", especially in the blacks when viewed under spectral lighting. This effect was most noticable in black and white prints. Also, when viewed at certain angles the images would appear less glossy and uneven when going from lighter colors, or clear, to dark colors... almost like a negative image!

My latest SMALL printer is the Epson Artisan 810 printer, which uses Claria ink... a dye based ink. No more bronzing or metamerism! The glossy prints have an even gloss and truly look like regular photo prints from your local pro camera store!... some small drug store labs still give you prints with uneven gloss... or semi-gloss. Also, Claria ink adds two more colors, Light Magenta and Light Cyan which means that you get a potentially wider color gamut (depending on your color settings) than you do with the old Durabrite 4-color ink system.
The problems with pigment based inks have been pretty much eliminated, due to micro encapsulation of the ink droplets in the best pigment based inks. The encapsulation surrounds each droplet with a polymer, which almost completely eliminates their previous problems. I am extremely happy with this color pack not just because it saves money over buying the cartridges individually, but also because it uses Claria ink!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Value, May 15, 2010
Legacy Lady (Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
The archival inks from Epson are so cost effective because you only change the single ink that is running out. Now they have the 98 series of High capacity ink (translate MORE ink in the cartridge) you have to change ink less. I checked MANY different sources and this was the best value for the money going. If you have Amazon PRIME there is also NO shipping charge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Artisan 800 Printer & Ink, August 5, 2009
Epson Artisan 800 Wireless Photo All-in-One Printer (Black)(C11CA29201)
Epson Artisan 800 printer is the best inkjet printer I have ever owned!!!!
I have bought just about every make of ink jet printer there is over the years. I can give a list of printers to avoid, but that is another horror story.
I use ink jet printers primarily for photos as I have not found a lazer printer that can reproduce photos as well as an ink jet.
I read the reviews on Amazon before I bought this printer and I can say that I was a little gun shy about the issue of ink use and other downfalls people wrote about. I bought this on sale at a major office supply store with the guarantee that if I didn't like it I could return it.
I have owned it about 9 months and printed a lot of 4x6, 5x7 and a few 8x10 pictures. The detail and color is beautiful, the printing fast, you can handle the prints right out of the printer. Documents look like they were printed on a lazer. I have found that it is very good on ink. At the time of this writing I have gone thru 2 sets of ink cartridges. Note: ONLY use Epson Ink and Epson Photo Paper. Like most printers, if you use aftermarket supplies you will get very bad results. Inexpensive supplies that don't work is no bargain.
Being wireless is great. The only draw back is the scanner is slow, no big deal to me as I use a lazer all in one for that.
Bottom line is if your looking for a great printer I highly recommend the Artisan 800! Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Capacity is the way to go!, July 25, 2010
Definitely use this over the regular capacity (99) ink cartridges. The life and number of pages printed is way beyond the extra cost. I've not calculated, because I don't know how many pages I got from the regular capacity cartridges. But I can tell you that these are lasting weeks beyond what the others did. I print lots of school related items as a home school mom of three, and these are really saving me a bundle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson photo paper made the difference with this printer, December 15, 2008
We purchased this printer because we were having trouble printing photos with our prior all-in-one printer, and this one had great reviews in our local newspaper and online.

As advertised, the printer setup was relatively easy. The biggest challenge I had was in loading paper tray, which left me wondering if I had done it right until I actually printed anything. I still haven't done the network setup for the printer, partly because you can't scan images to your computer using that setup. You must use the USB connection to do so.

Once set-up, I was impressed by how easy it was to get our camera connected and to work with photos from the computer.

I was very unimpressed, however, with the print quality we were getting on photo paper. We were using some photo paper that we already had lying around the house to do the printing, and the images all seemed grainy. You could see ink dots all over the images, and while they would look fine from about 5 feet away, they looked horrible at arm's length.

Frustrated with the results we were getting and feeling like we had been taken for a ride, we decided to give the recommended Epson brand photo paper a try as a last ditch effort. There was no sample was included with the printer, but that brand was recommended throughout the documentation. The specific paper we purchased is the: 100-SHEET 4X6 Glossy Ultra Premium Photo Paper

That paper made all of the difference. The images that we're printing now are matching the descriptions provided by others. They're high quality, just like a photo printed from a shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, November 29, 2010
M. Marino "bluesman" (Garden Grove, CA. United States) - See all my reviews
Not much can really be said. It's ink and it's Epson for my Epson Artisan 810 I really don't have a lot of options. The best thing was the price which is about half the price of any of the retail chains.

4.0 out of 5 stars High capacity really just means full, May 3, 2011
It's really annoying to me that companies (not just Epson) fill their "regular capacity" cartridges only partially, then charge a "high capacity" price for the full cartridge (minus 1 star). The 99's that came with your printer are "regular capacity" and the 98's are the "high capacity." That being said, this is great ink, and it's a much better value to buy the high capacity cartridge. I have experimented with different papers and inks, and the best photos I've printed have always been with Epson ink on Epson paper, (I have the Artisan 810). Their paper is designed to hold their ink, and inks can be quite different in their chemical makeup.

This cartridge has all of the colors, but black is sold separately. The high capacity black is also 98.

The bottom line... if the quality of your photos is important, spring for this good ink on the correct Epson paper for the job. I like premium glossy for prints, but that's a matter of preference.

P.S. I don't have any relationship to Epson. I'm a teacher and a mom, and I print lots of photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only the Real Deal, October 18, 2011
I learned my lesson last time when I tried to save bucks and buy from one of the inks from a 'discount' replaceable ink website. Suffice to say that my printer never worked properly after the inks were installed. I only buy the authentic Epson ink and haven't had a problem since. Costs more, but save yourself from the headaches!

3.0 out of 5 stars Why so separate?, August 13, 2009
It's hard to review this high capacity ink cartridge. For one, yes it does last a lot longer than the standard black but I only know that because I got a standard capacity with the printer and so do have some comparison. However, since then I have been unable to find a standard capacity black cartridge to purchase since then, this makes the 'high capacity' the de facto standard. At the current price-point it's twice as expensive as a standard color cartridge and that niggles me a little. The ink lasts... the printer prints well... it does what it says on the box - and so all should be good.

But I wish epson would bundle the 98 black with the 5-pack color multipack and not force me to shell out so much separately for a single black cartridge.