Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2010 10:45:02 AM PST
I am trying to decide which one of these scanners to purchase.

The tricky application is to scan negatives from photos that my father took in Europe while he was a forward observer during WWII.
The negatives are 6 mm by 9 mm.
Both scanners look pretty equivalent judging by their published specs.
Thanks

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 7:46:09 AM PST
R. J. Lowe says:
I'm not sure between those two. I have noticed that the V600's price here on Amazon keeps bouncing around - every day it's a different price. Sunday it was 179, Monday it was 197 and then it dropped to 181, Tuesday (today) it's 199 - maybe it will drop again later today like it did yesterday. Crazy stuff.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 8:10:51 AM PST
MC J.C. says:
Are the negatives really 6x9mm? I've never seen anything that small, are they movie frames? Perhaps you're referring to 6x9cm? The epson would be my choice, regardless, it is great for medium format scans and like the bundled software more than what comes with the Canon. Either product is good though, and will probably serve your purpose.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 1:45:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2011 8:32:03 AM PDT
You are correct about the size of the negatives.

I wound up buying the Canon largely on the basis of its slightly higher resolution and the newer version of Photoshop Elements included with it. Plus at the time the price of the Canon was lower than the Epson.
The Canon has done what I needed to have done, but would be curious to try the Epson to see what if any differences there are. I have been pleased with the scans that the Canon has produced from the negatives from WWII that my father took.
Thanks for the response though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 10:04:48 PM PDT
PegFF says:
Still happy with the Canon? I'm debating between the Canon and the Epson

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 8:48:01 AM PDT
Yes I am....have scanned hundreds if not thousands of old negatives and photos.
I would still be curious to test it head to head against the Epson but there really isn't a practical way for me to do that.

The Scansoft software that Canon ships with the scanner has a somewhat eccentric interface (at least for me) but once I got used to it produced quite good results.

The film, slide holders and negative holders have held up just fine despite another reviewers' comments.

I do wish that Canon would offer the option of at least purchasing a printed and bound manual....their excuse of trying to be a "green company" is kind of disingenuous at best.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 9:15:29 AM PDT
Mike K says:
I saw this when googling for v600 vs 9000f:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAI30Fv9SUU

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 10:52:25 AM PDT
Hi,
Thanks....I had seen that video about six months after I bought the Canon.
The video would be more convincing if they hadn't buried the notice that the review had been commissioned by Epson......

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 12:55:06 AM PDT
The Sid says:
Does anyone know if either of these have auto-detect? I'm wanting to do a lot of photo scanning and that feature would save some time, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 6:55:32 AM PST
If you mean can it distinguish between the slides loaded in the carrier or negatives, I think so.
I will let you know for sure, I'm ordering one today / overnight so I'll check it. I read the reviews and it appears if you load the carriers the software will create a separate image for each slide or picture within the carrier.
I'll confirm that.
Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 2:19:59 AM PST
ABT says:
I am trying to make the same decision - the V600 or the Canon 9000F.
The Canon scanner was $174 in late November ... now it's $204 three weeks later.
The Epson is a better deal now at $168.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 6:49:54 AM PST
Tony says:
Did you get a confirmation on this?

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 11:20:46 AM PST
I can verify that the software will make a scan of several loaded images (in the carrier) with a single pass. It will allow you to them handle them separately (or together) for adjustments. I am sorry I haven't used it in a while and I can't recall, but you may have to tell it which media it's dealing with before the pass. I know you can't mix negs and slides in a single pass.
Does that help? Hope so. I like mine so far and just haven't had as much time as I'd like to use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 12:38:52 PM PST
Tony says:
Thanks!

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 9:21:37 AM PST
delpheast says:
I am wondering about the software that comes with each model. From what I can tell, the Epson comes with OCR software; I see no mention of OCR software with the Cannon. Since I need a scanner that can scan documents as well as film and photos, can anyone tell me if the Cannon can do OCR?

My other hesitation with the Cannon is the driver issue. I'm really miffed that Cannon does not support a Win 7 driver for my LiDe 35, forcing me to buy new hardware. Yet I see that Epson has done the same for some of its products. Any thoughts out there about product support for the 2 companies? Thanks!

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:09:16 PM PST
I have over 1800 - 35 mm slides from my days in Korea and college. Which scanner, the Epson V600 or Cannon 9000F is going to give me the best results for my $ $ $ ?

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:43:07 AM PST
delpheast:
I think all the brands leave someone hanging. My all-in-one HP color Laser cost about a grand and no Win7 support for it. I can use everything except the scanner with "universal" drivers, and I've found a way to scan using the XP Mode in my Win7, but still, it's a pain and a widespread problem. On one hand I understand the issue for the makers, but it's the users that lose out. I'd even buy a new driver in sucha case - after all it wasn't HP or Epson who made the current OS incompatible. For a non-current device a small fee would be understandable.

Warren:
I haven't had a Canon, so I can't give you a comparison, but the Epson was my choice in the price range ( the Canon is in this range :
http://www.provantage.com/canon-4207b002~7CAN91NR.htm ). I found more information and reviews for the Epson, not so much a negative for the Canon, but positives for the Epson. You pays your money and you takes your chances....

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 6:09:59 PM PDT
L. Kother says:
Both scanners are very good, but Epson provides better OS scanner driver support than Canon, which will be important when Windows 8 is released. Try using a older Canon scanner with Windows 7. I have to upgrade my scanner since the Windows 7 driver from Canon just stopped working one day. Also Digital ICE is a standard that is supported by manufacturers than Fare offered by Canon.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 10:27:44 AM PDT
My scanner, the Canoscan9000f has worked fine under Windows 7 using the Scangear driver that shipped with the scanner and also Vuescan.
The Scangear driver has not not been updated the last time that I looked so your comment about updating it twice is a bit puzzling.

I have no idea whether or not ICE is more widely supported than FARE but it is kind of irrelevant...the scanner I own and use supports FARE which is really all that I care about.

I still think that it would be fun to compare the two scanners head to head.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 2:58:09 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 3:00:55 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 9:22:02 AM PDT
What size negatives did you scan? Most of my negatives are very old and are larger than the 35mm film.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 9:53:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 10:00:08 AM PDT
I originally bought it to scan negatives from photos my father had taken from WWII ... they are "medium format"...9cmX6cm or roughly 2.5 X 3.25 inches.
Basically the size of the negative is only limited by the size of the light source which in the case of this scanner is 3 inches by 10 inches and then by the software driver.
It has been able to handle all of the negatives that I have "thrown at it".

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 8:07:36 PM PDT
Benjamin Packer,
Sorry I missed your post until now. And we can help you "how"?
I have this link to the documentation:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=139863&infoType=Doc
I checked your profile (by clicking your name) which, by the way, you should do sometime, but there isn't much clue as to your level of expertise in things "technical". Terry Towers - really?
I thought the documentation was pretty good myself, but I'm an old phart so what do I know?

Daniel - the V600 has about the same max size for transparencies (6cm X 22cm).

I have tons of negs and slides that I should scan, and the carrier is slow. I should find a scanner where you insert slides or negs in a slot and it is scanned and ejected - HP used to make one....wonder if there are any decent quality ones around....
I found this one, but it looks like a "As Seen On TV" special, and maybe not a high resolution device.....maybe....
Input?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 7:20:56 PM PDT
Adam Boender says:
In the last 2 seconds of this video is says "commissioned by Epson."
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2013

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Epson Perfection V600 Color Photo, Image, Film, Negative & Document Scanner
Epson Perfection V600 Color Photo, Image, Film, Negative & Document Scanner by Epson
4.4 out of 5 stars   (965)