5.0 out of 5 stars One Outstanding Printer
This is the best printer that I've ever owned. Period. Considering how many printers I've gone through, that's saying a lot. Let's go through the various pieces and I'll show you why I like it so much....

Print Quality - It's rather trite, but the number one job of a printer is to print. The print quality of the Artisan 837 is outstanding. Using decent...
Published on October 3, 2011 by W. B. Halper

2.0 out of 5 stars The Epson Artisan 837: Don't buy this printer if you print on card stock or heavier papers!!!
I'm really not sure why Epson's Artisan 837 has the word "Artisan" within its title. It's a great printer if you're ONLY going to print on textweight paper and photo paper. However, if you like to print on CARD STOCK or coverweight papers -- this is NOT the All-in-One Printer to buy! I've had several Epson printers over the years... and I've never had a problem loading...
Published on May 28, 2012 by KJA in St. Louis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 556 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! Wont print on Avery Note or Business Cards, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Epson Artisan 837 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax, iOS/Tablet/Smartphone/AirPrint Compatible (C11CB20201) (Office Product)
I bought this machine to primarily print color photo's of my paintings on various papers, and to print note cards, which I sell. With all types of paper (even standard office paper), the paper feeder jams or takes 2-3 sheets per image leaving you to feed the paper one sheet at a time. While it's probable the paper feeder is broken, I am now told by the company to never use Avery note cards or business cards with Epson products-the paper is too heavy! I can't believe no one mentions this. As soon as my replacement printer comes I plan on selling the machine!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disposable Printer - Buyer Beware, March 29, 2012
J. Oreste (Ridgecrest, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased an Epson Artisan printer almost 3 years ago and three week ago I received an error message that the ink pads were nearing their end of life.
Epson offers a Inkpad Reset Utility on their website that will reset the counter, but the error message returned within a week, after another reset three days later and then another reset the end of life message will not go away. Epson Support states that the inkpads are not a user replaceable item, I can send the printer in for service or they will offer me a discount through their loyalty program. This is a disposable printer.

The inkpads are easy to get to and should be replaceable. A very poor engineering/design decision by Epson.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all-around printer, fast, accurate, great prints. Poor paper tray, August 12, 2012
This printer is fantastic. It is easily found on sale on Amazon and other retailers, though I picked it up REFURBISHED for a mere $129.99, a great discount from the $300 MSRP. Even came with ink cartridges!

The printer is great, super fast, accurate printers. Color photos (I only really print 4x6 from my digital camera - i'm not doing pro photography here) look fabulous, I was tired of going to the store to a kiosk and printing. I installed a CISS system with good quality ink (purchase the ink separate from the CIS) and it couldn't of been easier, they make it super easy with the cartridges that don't move. I am now printing full photos for pennies and I laugh at the cost of ink! The ADF is awesome for putting in documents and forgetting - come back and they are all copied.

The printer itself is very stylish, it's footprint is slightly large for an all-in-one but it's to be expected with all the features.

The only thing that absolutely boggles my mind is the paper input tray, and the paper output tray. They are the worst things ever invented, honestly. I don't know how Epson thought that putting cheap, super flimsy, I feel like I'm going to snap it every time I pull it out plastic. It really is horrible. This is a $300 printer and I would have expected better. The same can be said about the paper holding tray, It really is cheap plastic that gives you no solid feeling of this is the right way to do it. The paper holding tabs for sizing are cheap as well, and are hard to adjust.. usually you overslide them and it takes considerable effort to align them the right way. The cover actually automatically comes down when you print something as well, but what is the point if the paper just flies right out and on to the floor? My previous Canon had it automatically fold down and it would catch the paper (with the option of an extender to hold all of the paper if you are printing a large job). This is another design flaw that is useless.

That being said, I will put up with the paper tray issues because it is such an awesome printer. The lighted control panel changes with only the buttons you need, and the others fade into darkness. I definitely would never pay $300 for this printer, but even $199.99 is a good price, and refurbished (can't tell the difference between the new one) for $129.99 was a steal, especially with the ease of a CIS system (highly recommended).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Printer, September 20, 2011
David Enzel (Chevy Chase, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The photos that come from this printer just amaze me. They are stunningly beautiful and look as good as anything you will get from a lab. The scanning and faxing also work quite well. I think the paper tray is made of flimsy plastic that feels like it might break easily but probably won't. I connected the printer to my WiFi network very easily. I also did a firmware update with the instructions in the box and can now print over WiFi from either my iPhone or my iPad. That was easy to set up and is handy and fun. The USB connection on my iMac took some trial and error to set up. At first it did not recognize the printer. After installing the software from the CD it started working after a couple of attempts. I didn't think I needed the CD because when I connected the printer to my Mac it asked if I wanted to install the drivers and I said yes. But in any event it works well now. The printer also does double sided printing effortlessly. The ink cartridges empty quickly. Just four photo prints and many of the cartridges are 25% depleted. So be prepared for that. But the photo quality is stunning and I am very happy with the printer. When you send something to the printer the dust cover pops open so the paper doesn't jam. On my prior Epson printer I frequently forgot to open the dust cover and the paper would jam. The negatives I mentioned in this review don't keep me from rating this printer five stars. This is my third Epson Printer and I see no reason to switch. In my opinion, Epson is the leader in printers and they just keep getting better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Poor Customer Service, May 10, 2012
I thought I was getting a great deal on this printer when I picked it up for $120 at Best Buy six months ago. It was quite bulky and heavy and difficult to find a place for, but it had all the features I wanted, including an auto-document feeder and a fax line. It prints text and color as well as any inkjet printer I've ever used. Photos are excellent -- well above what a drugstore could produce.

And then it broke. It had a series of paper jams and then suddenly it started making a horrible grinding noise whenever it started to load the paper. Epson support, once I reached them, agreed to send me a new printer -- after they placed a $200 hold on my credit card as collateral to ensure that I returned their broken printer to them within seven days. Ten days later I received my new printer -- and it didn't work. It simply was incapable of printing. Another hour on the phone and they agreed to send me a second refurbished printer, but this time they promised to check to make sure it was working -- gee, thanks. They also agreed to ship the printer 'overnight' but I didn't receive it for 4 days. Also, the packing they sent to return the second printer was so inadequate that FedEx made me sign a waiver taking responsibility for any damage during shipment.

This is a good, if poorly made, printer. Don't expect it to stand up to high-volume use or last long, and heaven help you if you have to return it. Before these problems I would have rated it four stars, but I took off one for reliability and one for customer service.

Update:

This printer died permanently about 15 months after purchase. It stopped acknowledging ink cartridges and refused to print anything. Tech didn't know how to fix it and it was out of warranty by then. It has since been replaced by a canon printer that has been humming along merrily for the last six months. Also, the Canon prints on cardstock, which the Epson does not.

1.0 out of 5 stars $200 Boat Anchor, July 24, 2014
Don't buy this printer unless you only expect to keep it one year. I liked it ok when I first bought it in April 2012 at Best Buy. But in less than two years, with extremely light use, I started getting the "can't recognize ink cartridge error". It was not out of ink, and the cartridges were all Epson. I bought another Epson cartridge from Amazon, which lasted one week before getting that same error message. Contacted Epson, and they sent me a replacement cartridge, which worked for two months (hardly any printing done for that period). Now i contacted them again. Basically nothing that they would do except send me email with closest repair places (200 miles -right). I called one of them to see what could be wrong with it. They said its either the carriage ($270) or main board ($190). They see this problem a lot, and most people just junk them. Said the Artisan series was not Epson's best line. That's for sure.
On the plus side, the scanner works fine, which is the main thing I used it for, but I will be junking this and getting something different. NOT EPSON.
I am planning on contacting Epson about this just to make myself feel better.
Clincher today was when the service person asked if he could send me a link to their loyalty website where I could get some price break. He sent me the link and the 7 day password.
Ha ha ha ha ha
No chance of that happening

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, January 2, 2012
I bought one of these last August. I use the printer infrequently. When I went to print out my Christmas newsletter, it would stop printing mid-page, and the printing was not straight due to paper feed problems. I spent hours on the phone with Epson, and eventually got a replacement sent to me. The replacement printer had the exact same problem. I tried lots of different kinds of paper to no avail. In spite of the fact that I had good luck with my previous Epson printer, I have given up on Epson, and have decided to trash the printer and all the extra ink I bought. Very disappointed!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money - DO NOT BUY EPSON ARTISAN All-in-one!!!!!, February 4, 2013
Well, after reading the reviews and comparing features, I was duped into buying this 20 lb paperweight. Let me put it this way, if you want anything other than a low end copy machine, buy something else. My first inkling that this heap of shoddy manufactured plastic wasn't worth the money was the annoying groaning sound it made each time a computer "requested" that something be printed. Usually you just hear the paper feed and then the printout makes its way to the output tray. Not the Artisan 837! First, you get a loud groaning sound resembling a muted fugle horn for 3 seconds. Then, the printer tries to get a sheet of paper from the paper tray. Good luck with that step. I can't tell you how many "false starts" I've had where I go to print, the groaning sound reverberates off the office walls, and then I hear the paper feed try to get the paper, only to fail miserably and quit 2 seconds later with an error about how there is a paper jam. I've tried everything but a complete disassembly of the unit to clear every orifice, but nothing seems to work. Apparently, it is incapable of a good paper feed. Last night and this morning, I worked for over an hour to get a single sheet of paper to print out, and I was unable to accomplish this task. At the other end of the spectrum, there have been times when I've gone to print and the paper feed has grabbed 3 sheets of paper and printed the single page of text across all 3 sheets.

Frankly, I don't have time for this nonsense. When I click "print", I want the GD printer to print. I can't worry about whether or not I've bought the exact right "Extra Glossy Ink Jet Mid-Weight Epson Paper". I'm going to Office Depot or CVS and I'm grabbing a ream of ink jet printer paper and by golly I expect that should work.

For all these folks out here who are printing pictures - have fun. Does anyone really print 4x6 photos anymore? With email, web posting, and personal phones and tablets, it's hard to imagine that anyone pumps out a hard copy, but I guess they still sell buggy whips and oxen cart yokes somewhere.

In summary - If you want to be frustrated and waste hours of your time fussing with a printer, the ARTISAN 837 is the time-waster for you! If you are a sane person with work to get done, AVOID THIS UNIT ( and probably anything else by EPSON ) LIKE THE PLAGUE! I won't ever purchase an EPSON product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not play well with Mac 10.8.2., December 1, 2012
If I could return this printer I would but it is past the return window.timing. I have spent the last month trying to get it to work with my iMac 10.8.2 computer. I have finally accepted that this printer is just not compatible with my upgraded iMac. Epson support has given me long lists of items to check but I would need a degree in engineering from MIT to follow their instructions. I just purchased a new USB cable cord hoping that a direct connection rather than a wireless connection would solve my problem for me and still it does not work for me. Epson knows this printer is not compatible because they have a long list of work-a-rounds including updated downloads on their site but all of these are to no avail. I am left with no printer and a lot of wasted energy trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I feel sad about this because people who have P.C's give this printer high marks. With a Mac it is just not a match made in heaven. Next time I will read all of the other comments from all of the other frustrated Mac /Epson users on line and know that it was a warning sign to me to not buy this printer.

1.0 out of 5 stars PAPER JAMS CONSTANTLY!!!, February 11, 2012
As I am typing this I am trying to get the printer to accept the card stock that I am using to make Valentines for my daughter. This printer will do fine with regular paper but I have never had such problems as I have with this printer with printing on card stock. I have spent more time trying to get this thing to print than I spent making the document. Also, the "touch" screen is very difficult to use. I have to press very hard in "just" the right spot to get it to do what I need it to do. I was very excited to get this printer but after 6 months I am just about ready to trash it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 556 | Next ›