5.0 out of 5 stars One Outstanding Printer
This is the best printer that I've ever owned. Period. Considering how many printers I've gone through, that's saying a lot. Let's go through the various pieces and I'll show you why I like it so much....

Print Quality - It's rather trite, but the number one job of a printer is to print. The print quality of the Artisan 837 is outstanding. Using decent...
Published on October 3, 2011 by W. B. Halper

2.0 out of 5 stars The Epson Artisan 837: Don't buy this printer if you print on card stock or heavier papers!!!
I'm really not sure why Epson's Artisan 837 has the word "Artisan" within its title. It's a great printer if you're ONLY going to print on textweight paper and photo paper. However, if you like to print on CARD STOCK or coverweight papers -- this is NOT the All-in-One Printer to buy! I've had several Epson printers over the years... and I've never had a problem loading...
Published on May 28, 2012 by KJA in St. Louis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 553 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars not recommended, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Epson Artisan 837 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax, iOS/Tablet/Smartphone/AirPrint Compatible (C11CB20201) (Office Product)
I bought one of these last August. I use the printer infrequently. When I went to print out my Christmas newsletter, it would stop printing mid-page, and the printing was not straight due to paper feed problems. I spent hours on the phone with Epson, and eventually got a replacement sent to me. The replacement printer had the exact same problem. I tried lots of different kinds of paper to no avail. In spite of the fact that I had good luck with my previous Epson printer, I have given up on Epson, and have decided to trash the printer and all the extra ink I bought. Very disappointed!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Printer ever, November 23, 2012
We purchased this printer about 10 months ago. We use it for a home office. All we ask it to do is print one single piece of paper at a time. This is the second one since our original purchase. The original "brand new" printer would take 6 times to print one 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. It NEVER pulls the paper correctly from the tray. Epson themselves did not understand why it does this. They sent us another one "refurbished" it does the same thing. It eats ink, mostly because for every page you need printed, it will print 5 incorrectly. We have owned HPs and Brother printers -- none were ever this bad. This is the ABSOLUTELY worse printer I have ever owned. I just ordered a Brother to replace this one. I would caution anyone, DO NOT BUY EPSON printers. This printer doesn't even get heavy use and it fails.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget it if you want a decent paper-handling printer, September 2, 2013
NW Dryad "NW Dryad" (Olympia, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I have put up with this printer for WAY too long. I can't stand it any more and I want to warn people. I am careful about reading reviews and shopping around before I purchase anything electronic, and I got suckered in. The printer turns out a good product IF YOU CAN GET THE PAPER FEEDER TO WORK and IF YOU CAN GET THE DOCUMENT FEEDER TO WORK. The paper guides are difficult to adjust and I get paper jams way too often. But today the document feeder jammed just once too much and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. The biggest pain in the rear is that if you try to use the document feeder for scanning, half the time it tries to suck in multiple sheets of paper. Yes, I am being careful, and yes, I don't load the feeder too much, and yes, I make sure the pages are fanned with air and not stuck together, and aligned.
There is no excuse for this lousy piece of machinery. I have tried to put up with it, and unfortunately have owned it too long to return it and so I plan to throw it onto my concrete garage floor as hard as I can once I am done scanning the several pieces of paper I was going to use the feeder for, but will now have to flatbed, one by one, and then knit together into one document later. I could probably sell it to somebody, but smashing it to pieces will be so much more satisfying.
Then I'm going to research reviews, go carefully choose another printer, spend precious money I don't have, and hopefully I will make a better choice.
Oh, and by the way, I am a very experienced user of all types of computer-related technology. So it's not me making mistakes.
I actually really liked my old Pixma MX870, but I replaced it with this Epson because it could print double-sided. Big mistake on my part.

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! Wont print on Avery Note or Business Cards, February 24, 2012
I bought this machine to primarily print color photo's of my paintings on various papers, and to print note cards, which I sell. With all types of paper (even standard office paper), the paper feeder jams or takes 2-3 sheets per image leaving you to feed the paper one sheet at a time. While it's probable the paper feeder is broken, I am now told by the company to never use Avery note cards or business cards with Epson products-the paper is too heavy! I can't believe no one mentions this. As soon as my replacement printer comes I plan on selling the machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome all-in-one printer, December 9, 2011
P O G (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This is by far the best printer I have ever owned. My previous printer was the Canon IP5000 which I liked a lot, but it was eating through ink and the nozzles were constantly out of alignment (it was getting fairly old though). I have had this printer for a few weeks now and it continues to impress me.

Setup:
Setup was a breeze. I chose to install this completely wirelessly as I did not want it to be tethered to a computer and sharing printers within Windows has been a major headache. I simply followed the prompts on the LCD screen and was connected to my wireless network in just a few short minutes. I have a wireless N network with WPA2 password encryption and MAC address filtering enabled. All of that worked fine with this printer. After getting the printer setup, I used the included install CD to load the drivers and software onto my WinXP desktop. Worked just fine and I *can* scan wirelessly unlike another reviewer stated. Setup was similarly easy on my two Win7 laptops although I used the Epson website for those as another reviewer indicated the CD had out of date drivers/software for Win7. I also downloaded the Epson wireless print App from the Android Market on my two Android smartphones and they also worked instantly on first try. Setup couldn't be any easier!

Print quality:
Outstanding. I have printed on both Ilford Gallerie glossy paper and Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy, 20 sheets, 8x10 Borderless, (S041465) and love the results. It is quite a step up from the Canon in quality and much much quicker as well. I have printed 4x6s and 8x10s borderless without issue. Text on regular paper is comparable to the Canon before, but I'm honestly not that concerned with print quality on regular paper.

Scanning:
Wow! I was really surprised at how good the scanner is and the included scanning software. To test it, I scanned/copied some 8x10 photos I had from a portrait studio. The results were stunning. The scanner software is highly customizable and very effective. I only wish the scan bed was larger, but that would probably make the footprint of the printer too large for most people.

Fax:
Can't comment as I haven't used it yet. Although I specifically wanted the fax capability as its nice to have for the once in a blue moon times I do actually need to fax something.

Usage/Interface:
At first I thought the touchscreen LCD interface was gimmicky and that I wouldn't actually use it. However, it is very user-friendly and excellent for making quick copies of photos without the use of a computer. Some people have complained about the paper tray and I will say its not the best. Yes, it is very flimsy plastic but I can't imagine ever having an issue with it as long as you are not tossing the tray around the room. The auto document feeder works great and I like being able to close it up when not in use

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I normally buy items like this from Amazon, however, I guess supply is an issue at the moment. I found it on sale at the local Staples for $180 and they had a $50 trade in your older printer promo which brought the price down to a steal. I've printed a ton of photos already and have yet to exhaust any of the original ink cartridges so I'm happy with ink usage so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Poor Customer Service, May 10, 2012
I thought I was getting a great deal on this printer when I picked it up for $120 at Best Buy six months ago. It was quite bulky and heavy and difficult to find a place for, but it had all the features I wanted, including an auto-document feeder and a fax line. It prints text and color as well as any inkjet printer I've ever used. Photos are excellent -- well above what a drugstore could produce.

And then it broke. It had a series of paper jams and then suddenly it started making a horrible grinding noise whenever it started to load the paper. Epson support, once I reached them, agreed to send me a new printer -- after they placed a $200 hold on my credit card as collateral to ensure that I returned their broken printer to them within seven days. Ten days later I received my new printer -- and it didn't work. It simply was incapable of printing. Another hour on the phone and they agreed to send me a second refurbished printer, but this time they promised to check to make sure it was working -- gee, thanks. They also agreed to ship the printer 'overnight' but I didn't receive it for 4 days. Also, the packing they sent to return the second printer was so inadequate that FedEx made me sign a waiver taking responsibility for any damage during shipment.

This is a good, if poorly made, printer. Don't expect it to stand up to high-volume use or last long, and heaven help you if you have to return it. Before these problems I would have rated it four stars, but I took off one for reliability and one for customer service.

Update:

This printer died permanently about 15 months after purchase. It stopped acknowledging ink cartridges and refused to print anything. Tech didn't know how to fix it and it was out of warranty by then. It has since been replaced by a canon printer that has been humming along merrily for the last six months. Also, the Canon prints on cardstock, which the Epson does not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disposable Printer - Buyer Beware, March 29, 2012
J. Oreste (Ridgecrest, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased an Epson Artisan printer almost 3 years ago and three week ago I received an error message that the ink pads were nearing their end of life.
Epson offers a Inkpad Reset Utility on their website that will reset the counter, but the error message returned within a week, after another reset three days later and then another reset the end of life message will not go away. Epson Support states that the inkpads are not a user replaceable item, I can send the printer in for service or they will offer me a discount through their loyalty program. This is a disposable printer.

The inkpads are easy to get to and should be replaceable. A very poor engineering/design decision by Epson.

1.0 out of 5 stars PAPER JAMS CONSTANTLY!!!, February 11, 2012
As I am typing this I am trying to get the printer to accept the card stock that I am using to make Valentines for my daughter. This printer will do fine with regular paper but I have never had such problems as I have with this printer with printing on card stock. I have spent more time trying to get this thing to print than I spent making the document. Also, the "touch" screen is very difficult to use. I have to press very hard in "just" the right spot to get it to do what I need it to do. I was very excited to get this printer but after 6 months I am just about ready to trash it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money - DO NOT BUY EPSON ARTISAN All-in-one!!!!!, February 4, 2013
Well, after reading the reviews and comparing features, I was duped into buying this 20 lb paperweight. Let me put it this way, if you want anything other than a low end copy machine, buy something else. My first inkling that this heap of shoddy manufactured plastic wasn't worth the money was the annoying groaning sound it made each time a computer "requested" that something be printed. Usually you just hear the paper feed and then the printout makes its way to the output tray. Not the Artisan 837! First, you get a loud groaning sound resembling a muted fugle horn for 3 seconds. Then, the printer tries to get a sheet of paper from the paper tray. Good luck with that step. I can't tell you how many "false starts" I've had where I go to print, the groaning sound reverberates off the office walls, and then I hear the paper feed try to get the paper, only to fail miserably and quit 2 seconds later with an error about how there is a paper jam. I've tried everything but a complete disassembly of the unit to clear every orifice, but nothing seems to work. Apparently, it is incapable of a good paper feed. Last night and this morning, I worked for over an hour to get a single sheet of paper to print out, and I was unable to accomplish this task. At the other end of the spectrum, there have been times when I've gone to print and the paper feed has grabbed 3 sheets of paper and printed the single page of text across all 3 sheets.

Frankly, I don't have time for this nonsense. When I click "print", I want the GD printer to print. I can't worry about whether or not I've bought the exact right "Extra Glossy Ink Jet Mid-Weight Epson Paper". I'm going to Office Depot or CVS and I'm grabbing a ream of ink jet printer paper and by golly I expect that should work.

For all these folks out here who are printing pictures - have fun. Does anyone really print 4x6 photos anymore? With email, web posting, and personal phones and tablets, it's hard to imagine that anyone pumps out a hard copy, but I guess they still sell buggy whips and oxen cart yokes somewhere.

In summary - If you want to be frustrated and waste hours of your time fussing with a printer, the ARTISAN 837 is the time-waster for you! If you are a sane person with work to get done, AVOID THIS UNIT ( and probably anything else by EPSON ) LIKE THE PLAGUE! I won't ever purchase an EPSON product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not play well with Mac 10.8.2., December 1, 2012
If I could return this printer I would but it is past the return window.timing. I have spent the last month trying to get it to work with my iMac 10.8.2 computer. I have finally accepted that this printer is just not compatible with my upgraded iMac. Epson support has given me long lists of items to check but I would need a degree in engineering from MIT to follow their instructions. I just purchased a new USB cable cord hoping that a direct connection rather than a wireless connection would solve my problem for me and still it does not work for me. Epson knows this printer is not compatible because they have a long list of work-a-rounds including updated downloads on their site but all of these are to no avail. I am left with no printer and a lot of wasted energy trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I feel sad about this because people who have P.C's give this printer high marks. With a Mac it is just not a match made in heaven. Next time I will read all of the other comments from all of the other frustrated Mac /Epson users on line and know that it was a warning sign to me to not buy this printer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 553 | Next ›