Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on October 10, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The artisan 837 is a sleek personal printer for a home office, intended for those who want a multi-function printer that scans, faxes, prints, prints cd's and processes photos, all on one device. It is also designed for those who do not want a monster size printer taking up half their desk space. My first impression of the device is that it is quite sleek looking. It is a glossy black exterior, with a nice digital touch pad to use for inputting data. But the slick blackness of it comes at a cost. It is difficult to see embossed lettering on the sides and top, especially if your office is a low light environment, and sometimes the digital pad isn't quite as responsive as I'd like.

Installation of the ink cartridges was easy. There is an ink bay that opens and allows you to install each color in its own bay. There is no complex angle to insert the ink, and the cartridges snap in so you the owner can see they are properly installed. My second disappointment in the 837, was that the black ink cartridge was the same size as the other colored ink cartridges. As someone who prints more in black and white than in color, I appreciate it when a vendor makes the device accommodate a larger ink cartridge. Also, the ink cartridges are fairly tiny so I suspect I'll be shelling out more for ink soon.
I didn't like the way the device loaded paper. The tray wasn't especially sturdy, and there was virtually too many options and ways to flub this easy task. I would prefer the custom paper tray be separate from the standard letter tray, so if I want to customize my tray to print photos I don't have to mess with the standard tray. Loading the paper required several tries to get perfect so the rollers didn't squash one side of the paper. I prefer to simply load and go, and not spend time fussing with the printer tray.

The machine calibrated itself, and was read to work nearly instantly. To test it, I set up and used the fax feature. It worked quickly and easily. I appreciated how smooth the automotive print tray worked.
Next I tried a black and white print. I noticed some black ink spots on the right margin of the page on a few of the sheets.Color printing produced a reasonable (albeit lighter) copy of the color image I fed through the automated tray.

The printer is light on documentation for its advanced features. Features like the print to cd option are not covered. In the Quick guide, however you can find out more from the User's guide which is available online at Epson.

Overall, I liked it, however some features could be better like the paper loading, the ink capacity for the black cartridge, and the documentation.

PROS:
Easy to set up
Smaller than other models
All-in one design
Many features
Sleek Looking
Easy to insert new ink cartridges when needed
Automated paper tray worked well

CONS
Black ink cartridge same size as other cartridges
Manual and features not properly documented
Fussy paper tray
Touchpad sometimes unresponsive
Color prints not color `true'
Printed a few black spots on paper, however this problem went away after subsequent uses.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2012
I bought this last November and still love it. I purchased to replace a high end HP, which cratered in less than a year. I use with my Mac with no problem. Use to scan, print and copy. The control panel is easy to use. Scanning works well. I scan to a flash drive, which is no problem as some other reviews mentioned. I have to put the document on the printer anyway. I was concerned about the price of ink as there are several cartridges, but I was pleasantly surprised. I found them on Amazon and they were a lot less than through Epson. I have only replaced them once. Granted I don't print every day, but in the same time period that I had an HP I had gone through 3 sets of cartridges. Setting up wirelessly was no problem whatsoever. I have my Mac and an old laptop with Windows XP. Works on both. Photos are gorgeous. Color vibrant and true. I plan to buy only Epson from now on. One last thought I'm going to upgrade to Mountain Lion on my Mac and this printer is compatible.
on November 3, 2015
This Artisan 837 printer didn't even last a couple of years of occasional home use. The ink pad, according, to the screen message is full. The ink pad is not a user replaceable. You either take to Epson to have replace or to a qualified service center. I wonder how much it is going to cost? I am debating to whether junk it and buy a monochrome laser printer like the printer it replaced, a Canon. My son still uses it on his business and it is almost 6 years old. Think twice before buying any Epson printer. I do not recommend this printer at all.
on August 28, 2013
Epson sells printers for dirt cheap at almost no profit for their company because they make their money through selling ink. I have had my epson printer for almost two years and about every 50 pages I print I need to buy an ink cartridge. They are $15 each. All I print are black and white pages, but the colors still require new cartridges constantly. After doing some research I found out that Epson's ink cartridges have chips that count how many pages you print and despite the amount of ink left in the cartridge the printer will say it's time to replace it. I've watched several videos on youtube of people opening their cartridges to find plenty of ink left to print a significant amount more. I am so fed up with this and I strongly encourage you not to buy an Epson printer of any kind.
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The photos that come from this printer just amaze me. They are stunningly beautiful and look as good as anything you will get from a lab. The scanning and faxing also work quite well. I think the paper tray is made of flimsy plastic that feels like it might break easily but probably won't. I connected the printer to my WiFi network very easily. I also did a firmware update with the instructions in the box and can now print over WiFi from either my iPhone or my iPad. That was easy to set up and is handy and fun. The USB connection on my iMac took some trial and error to set up. At first it did not recognize the printer. After installing the software from the CD it started working after a couple of attempts. I didn't think I needed the CD because when I connected the printer to my Mac it asked if I wanted to install the drivers and I said yes. But in any event it works well now. The printer also does double sided printing effortlessly. The ink cartridges empty quickly. Just four photo prints and many of the cartridges are 25% depleted. So be prepared for that. But the photo quality is stunning and I am very happy with the printer. When you send something to the printer the dust cover pops open so the paper doesn't jam. On my prior Epson printer I frequently forgot to open the dust cover and the paper would jam. The negatives I mentioned in this review don't keep me from rating this printer five stars. This is my third Epson Printer and I see no reason to switch. In my opinion, Epson is the leader in printers and they just keep getting better.
on April 15, 2012
This printer looks great sitting on my desk and has many nice features. Technically everything works the way it's supposed to - scan, copy, fax, cd print, etc. However, the colors that are printed even on high quality paper are all just OFF. Many of the colors look dull or muddy or washed out. I printed a few color documents on plain copy paper and they were such poor quality they all had to go straight in the shredder. I started using the high quality bright white paper but even that did not help much. I just printed one document that should have had a bright eggplant colored section and when printed on the Artisan that color looks purple-ish brown - and light on the purple and heavy on the brown. The same document printed on my 10 year old HP looks like the eggplant color that shows up on my computer screen. I've had a rich sky blue turn out blue gray and a bright hunter green turn out more like dark spruce and a bright royal navy blue turn out blackish blue. There are many ways to adjust the print quality and the color settings but it all still falls short. There hasn't been one group of settings to select and save and have every page printed afterwards come out right. I have been working with many colors schemes and every single page would have to have print settings adjusted individually before printing to get colors even close to what they should be. I don't have the time nor the patience to adjust the settings on each page every time I print. I am absolutely amazed that this printer got so many positive reviews. If you are printing photos almost exclusively then this might be an OK printer for you. If you plan on printing documents of any kind and especially high quality color docs then this printer will be very disappointing.

I know the pigment based ink is generally not as bright as the dye based but this ink is not acceptable for anything other than photos. I even changed my ink to dye based to see if the colors would improve enough to make it worthwhile to keep using the printer. The colors did improve a small amount as far as matching and not looking so washed out or brown but the printer still seems to print pages with the blues and greens toned way down or with reds and darker colors all towards the brown side. I am already shopping for another printer to replace this one. I have many color pages on my computer that I cannot print with this Epson at all due to the colors not matching. My computer monitor has been color calibrated and my software color matching is set just the way it should be. I can print a page on the old HP and print the same page on the Epson and put the 2 pages side by side and it looks as if the color scheme was changed on the computer. It's just this printer that doesn't seem to have the proper color matching functions.

If you want to print mostly photos this printer may work for you. If you lean more towards the graphic design color document type printing then shop around more before choosing this one. And if you are printing mostly photos then you probably won't have any interest in the document feeder and fax functions so you can likely find a good photo printer that costs less than this one or at least takes up less space.

Overall this printer has been a huge disappointment. I don't know if its just the Artisan 837 model in particular or if all the Epsons are poor with color matching. I would NOT recommend this model printer at all. Not sure if I even want to try an Epson again. I will likely be going back to HP's or taking a look at Canon. The main purpose of a printer is to print. This one doesn't do that in a quality way. I wouldn't have another one if someone offered it to me for free.
77 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2013
Great printer, got it about a year ago.
I use this printer for printing: printable CD's/DVD's - Photoes on premium photo paper - letters and other regular print jobs.
Got for it the Spongeless cartriges to save on ink cost.
Works without any issues.

The things I have a problem with:
Paper tray is flimsy
There is no way to insert a single paper, all have to be fed through the paper tray and that is a design glitch as this printer is for home user.
A home user prints a little of this and a little of that, if there is no way to feed single paper than you have to open the paper tray every time you change the paper type even if you need to print just one page.
on February 24, 2012
I bought this machine to primarily print color photo's of my paintings on various papers, and to print note cards, which I sell. With all types of paper (even standard office paper), the paper feeder jams or takes 2-3 sheets per image leaving you to feed the paper one sheet at a time. While it's probable the paper feeder is broken, I am now told by the company to never use Avery note cards or business cards with Epson products-the paper is too heavy! I can't believe no one mentions this. As soon as my replacement printer comes I plan on selling the machine!
on July 25, 2014
Nice printer while it worked. Just a few months after the warranty expired, the color quality of photos deteriorated, then ink started to bleed and finally the printer was unable to recognize a new cartridge and stopped completely. Contacted Epson service. Once they documented that my one year warranty expired, they were of absolutely no help. Documentation on the printer is almost nonexistent; and they refused to answer even simple questions about printer troubleshooting. All they offered was the nearest service center which is an hour and a half away from me. Not very helpful, and certainly annoying for a relatively high price printer. Epsons service is terrible, which is a compelling reason to stay away from their printers.
on December 1, 2012
If I could return this printer I would but it is past the return window.timing. I have spent the last month trying to get it to work with my iMac 10.8.2 computer. I have finally accepted that this printer is just not compatible with my upgraded iMac. Epson support has given me long lists of items to check but I would need a degree in engineering from MIT to follow their instructions. I just purchased a new USB cable cord hoping that a direct connection rather than a wireless connection would solve my problem for me and still it does not work for me. Epson knows this printer is not compatible because they have a long list of work-a-rounds including updated downloads on their site but all of these are to no avail. I am left with no printer and a lot of wasted energy trying to put a square peg in a round hole. I feel sad about this because people who have P.C's give this printer high marks. With a Mac it is just not a match made in heaven. Next time I will read all of the other comments from all of the other frustrated Mac /Epson users on line and know that it was a warning sign to me to not buy this printer.