4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy duty and built to last
Published on February 14, 2011 by Jon

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the Update
Published on July 27, 2011 by Satch

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the Update, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Backpacker Poncho (Sports)
I bought this because I wanted poncho that could also serve as a tarp to pitch over my hammock. It turned out that the Liberty Mountain Backpacker Poncho is not quite long enough, even on the diagonal, to serve as an effective rain fly over an ENO Singlenest hammock. Even so, it seems to be a good poncho and I am not disappointed with the purchase so far. The material and stitching are adequately strong, and I don't anticipate any problems with the overall quality of the gear.

It functions comfortably as a poncho, and the rear panel is extra long so that it can cover a pack. When not wearing a pack, you can fold over the excess material easily because there are Velcro attachments sewn in for that purpose. There is also an ill-conceived "stuff sack" sewn into the corner of the poncho (see customer image). It does work, technically, but it works awkwardly and I prefer to just roll the poncho up.

The corners have sturdy grommets (see customer image) which do what they're supposed to do, and the thing can definitely be used as a tarp. The dimensions are 4'7" by 7'7" and if the size suits your needs, this dual-purpose poncho should work.

UPDATE: 8/3/11
---

I had occasion to use the poncho in a moderate rain today, and was surprised to find that it is not waterproof, but water resistant. I just went outside to check the mail, and in that time the rain was already bleeding through the material. I am so glad that I didn't find this out in a downpour on a trail in October.

Everything that I said above was true, but was said under the assumption that the material would adequately serve its main purpose. It absolutely does not keep you dry, something that a $2 emergency poncho can do quite easily.

Do not buy this unless you just want an inconvenient windbreaker that you can prop up as a parasol at the beach.

Yeah, I'm pretty mad about this one.

UPDATE: 8/3/11

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy duty and built to last, February 14, 2011
This review is from: Backpacker Poncho (Sports)
The word here is heavy. Yes, it's a very decent poncho and seems to be built to last. It will cover the average person wearing a pretty large backpack. However, since I'm somewhere between a lightweight and ultra-lightweight hiker, I was hoping for something much lighter. As is, this 17 ounce poncho will stay in my car kit and I'll be happy knowing that I have a poncho/tarp ready for use.

If you are a hiker who routinely carryies a large load, this poncho will will do a decent job of keeping the rain off of you and your pack without slowing you down. I like that it has the ability to be worn comfortably with or without the pack.

Backpacker Poncho