5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Alarm Clock!
Published on May 6, 2008 by ThreePeas

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive alarm clock
Published on November 15, 2008 by CV

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Alarm Clock!, May 6, 2008
This review is from: Equity by La Crosse 30330 Digital Alarm Clock with Night Vision Technology (Kitchen)
I was looking for a small, pretty basic alarm clock and so glad I found the Equity 30330 because it suits my needs perfectly. I didn't want one with all the bells and whistles, my husband has had one like that on his side of the bed for 6 years and I still can't figure out how to work it. Some must haves for me were that it be cordless, and especially had a display light that wouldn't bother me when I was going to sleep (not too bright). Seems to me from reading some other reviews that this is a common issue with people. For me, the little lights on my DVD player even bother me so I was very hesitant to order any alarm clock online without seeing it in person but I'm very glad I took a shot. This nifty clock is just perfect for me, the display is dim (soothing on the eyes), not too dim that I can't read it but rather just perfect where it doesn't bother me at all when I go to sleep (I believe this is what they are referring to in the description as "nightvision"). It also has a display sensor where if you wave your hand over the snooze button, the display will temporarily light up much brighter (LOVE this feature). It's so easy to set and has not failed me even once. I LOVE the snooze because it will just keep going off until I finally get out of bed, my last alarm clock would snooze 2x and then turn off (of course I would still be sleeping after it turned off...not good). Not much else to say about this clock other than for $13.00 I'm very happy with it. Is it fancy? no but it is rather contemporary looking as opposed to many others I've seen. Basically, I'm up and on time every day, can't ask for more than that. I would definitely purchase this again and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alarm clock., November 4, 2011
OK, let's sort through some misinformation that was posted by other reviewers and get the facts out about how this clock actually works. I've used it for some time now and I have first hand experience with all of its features.
The clock is 100% battery operated.
The display is back-lit with a green light.
There is a sensor on the Snooze bar that senses the ambient lighting level in the room. If there is light in the room, the green back light is OFF. This makes sense because why use up battery power when there is enough ambient light to see the clock display? As the room light changes from light to dark, the green back light changes from OFF in a lighted room to a dim very low level in a dark room.
If the Snooze bar is pressed, the dim low level green back light changes to a bright high level as long as the Snooze bar is held down.
I read somewhere that "waving your hand" over the Snooze bar/sensor causes the green light to brighten. Not really true. If the room light is at a very low level and the back light starts to change from OFF to some degree of ON, waving your hand over the sensor only blocks the room light so the sensor thinks the room is dark and this causes the back light to go to its maximum dim very low level. It does NOT cause the back light to go to the bright mode as it does when you press the Snooze bar.
The only way to make the green back light very bright is to press the Snooze bar. Not even sure why you would want to make it brighter, as the low level light is OK to read the clock.
The low level green back light in a pitch black room is what the manufacturer calls "unobtrusive". I am a bit anal about LED's in the bedroom. I even have a piece of tape on the LED in my smoke alarm. The low level green back light does not bother me at all. It is a very soft light that offers more than enough back light to read the clock display in a dark room as well as having enough light that I can see to get out of bed and return without any issues.
It really is easy to set both the time and alarm.
Turning the alarm ON or OFF is done with a slide switch next to the Snooze bar. Some clocks have a three position slide switch and sometimes you may not be sure exactly where it's set. This one is simple, ON or OFF.
The "chirp" of the alarm is pleasant. I really don't like an abrasive alarm tone. This one will wake you up, but not annoy you.
Not sure about battery life yet. That would be the only reason to rank at 4 stars or less. The overall functionality is 5 stars.
12.FEB.2013 Update - If you need a good dependable alarm clock, this is it. I have used it for over 1 year and it has performed perfectly. One benefit I have come to appreciate is the size. I do not like hotel room alarm clocks. They are not to be trusted. This one is small enough that I put it in my luggage an take it with me. Then, I have something I know works and it is easy to set and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect little clock - but only comes in Light Blue color, April 15, 2011
4/15/2011

I just received this clock and gave all it's functions a try. I'll do a review now and then come back later with longer-term thoughts.

I like everything about it but the style (personal preference). It's a light blue, no other option. The oval bezel section in the front is more greenish than the rest of the clock as if they were painted/molded at two different plants (unintentional two-tone). The style is 70's/80's. I would expect to see a clock like this in a young girl's room. It's hard to find a good looking clock these days, so I'll say it's average. I hope they bring a more modern or masculine version of the clock.

I was surprised by the moderate size, the sales page makes it look small. It matches the size of an adult female hand layed flat like "paper".

I popped in 3 eneloop (rechargeable NiMH) 1.2V cells. The LCD digits show up reasonably dark and the backlight functions great. I was concerned that I might be stuck using alkalines for good performance - nope, rechageables work great :)

The backlight is a rich, middle-green color, not olive like you get with many LED clocks. The digits are as big as shown on the sales page, and have good contrast at viewing angles straight on or above. Below a direct or overhead view, the clock the digits start losing contrast and was out a bit. So if your nightstand is above your viewing angle when your head is on the pillow, you will experience reduced visibitilty. But considering the fact that no other cordless clock is going to illuminate the display unless the alarm is going off, I have no complaints.

The inset LCD display protects the lens from scratches I suppose, or maybe it's just a style choice. Unfortunately, the readability is affected by the combination of the "baseball cap" brim, face paint that is close to the digits, and the display glass not being right up against the face. Light isn't getting to the back reflective wall of the display as readily as it could. During the daytime the clock is not easy to read from across the room. The bright silver-painted bezel is too close to the digits, I would rather have little bit more blank LCD glass beyond the digits for comfortable viewing. Again, room for improvement but doesn't hurt the clock's usefulness as a bedside alarm clock.

The battery door was fussy to replace, it doesn't align naturally, and feels like it could be broken if forced. I did a simulated battery replacement by removing all three batteries (since they are stacked you can't do one at a time), waiting a few seconds, then putting them back in. It rememberd the time and the alarm setting... bravo!

The alarm beeps quietly and slowly at first, then gets louder and faster over time. Exactly the type of gradual awake I was hoping for.

The display has nice clear indicators for PM, Alarm (AL), and snooze (Zz). The 1-second pulsing colon is calming and may help some people fall asleep.

The 3AA cells give it a nice weight once installed (clock shipped without cells). There are no rubber feet, so if you want to protect the unit from sliding you'll need to add your own stick-on rubber feet. It's stable enough though, only people with young kids or pets need to worry.

The hour and minute are advanced separately, but only forward. To change time, hold the time while pressing either hour or minutes. To change alarm, ditto. Very easy... no manual required.

When you press the snooze, the green display gets very bright. I can see many people using it as a flashlight for a bathroom trip. Just pick up the cordless alarm and hold the big wide button. It's activated by two separate switches spaced apart under the long button, so it doesn't matter which side you press the snooze.

I look forward to the reported battery life. The low current LED backlight technology is that special something that makes this clock a must-have... I only see one other battery-operated clock where I can get it (an online retailer direct from China). The light sensor makes sure it's not glowing during the day when it's bright enough to see the clock. It's a gradual change to the backlight, the glow doesn't just immediately go away.

While many plug-in clocks use anywhere from 2 to 5 watts constantly, this uses a trickle. Where I live, that's about $2 to $5 a year... the clock will pay for itself in a few years simply because I can unplug a wasteful alarm clock.

Summary:

PROS:
No cord
Night-vision glow that's unique to this clock and works well
Good quality for the price
Easy to read display, digits and indicators
Rich green backlight color
Runs on rechageables just fine (3 AA)
Time/Alarm doesn't get lost on a battery change
Very easy controls to use
Doubles as a flashlight
Saves electricity (non parasitic)
Saves money if rechargeables are used

CONS:
Only comes in light blue and 70's style
Color mismatch of my clock cheapens the appearance
Thin battery door that doesn't align very easily
No anti-slip feet (though it's stable)
Inset display and bezel blocks light and reduces daytime visibility
Typical LCD contrast problem for low viewing angles
Not quite large enough to be easy to read across the room

Bottom Line:
If you want a battery-operated alarm clock for your nightstand which you can see all night long, this one is for you. What you get for just over $10 is very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive alarm clock, November 15, 2008
CV (Tennessee) - See all my reviews
I have used this alarm clock for a few weeks now, and it serves its purpose well - a simple battery operated alarm clock with an easy-to-read display. The display illuminates automatically when the room gets dark enough. It seems quite bright to me at night, but I would rather have that than not be able to read it. During the day, it is not really that easy to read, but activating the snooze button will illuminate the display. It is very easy to set, and the alarm is actually one of the most pleasant ones I have heard. It starts out low and builds as time goes by. I don't know how loud it gets because I hit snooze fairly quickly. The description says it uses a 9-volt battery, but mine uses 3 AA batteries. The only problem I have had with it is that the battery cover has come off a few times for no apparent reason. It is made in China and of cheap plastic, and I don't think it could withstand much abuse. Time will tell about battery life and durability.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect size alarm clock, easy to set, great price!, September 9, 2008
I prefer a digital clock because the "tick tick tick" of an analog clock keeps me awake sometimes. I prefer not having an EMF-emitting device by my head all night -- however weak the emissions -- so I don't use a clock radio. This little digital clock is almost perfect! It's a great silvery blue, very appealing. It has a nice round size that fits comfortably in the hand. It is VERY easy to set, even when you're sleepy. Some digital devices require a handbook to figure out. This is completely intuitive. The numbers are sized big enough to read easily. My only issue is the light feature that is bright at night and dim in the daytime. I would prefer being able to activate the light feature myself when I want to see the time, rather than have it glow all night long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alarm clock, December 3, 2009
K. Reeves (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
I love this clock. It glows softly at night, though not enough to bother me while I sleep, and it will glow more brightly if I pass my hand over it. It doesn't glow during the day, I can move it anywhere since it doesn't have a cord, and it's a good size- not too small, not too big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for RV, November 6, 2009
L. Ballenger (Joliet, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This was the only battery powered clock with a backlit display that I could find. I wanted to be able to see the time in the middle of the night in my motorhome, when not hooked up to "shore power," and without having to fumble for a clock in the dark and then press a button to illuminate the display. The green backlight is pleasant and easy to view in the dark. As another review mentioned, the display is not so easy to read in the daytime, when the backlight automatically goes off. This is not a problem for me since I have many clocks easily seen during daylight hours. I am really pleased with this clock and the solution it provides for my RVing situation. I was also happy that the clock I received runs on 3AA batteries rather than 1 9volt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, November 17, 2011
According to Amazon, I bought this clock back in March, 2010. It's been humming along, silently, with the original set of batteries. The display lights up just enough to see it in the dark, and the digits are large enough to see from a night table. Good little clock.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too bright at night, November 30, 2011
SherryS (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
Not sure how they define soft lit, but this is way too bright I'm the dark. I had to turn it the other way so it is not facing me. It's a simple straight forward clock, nice color, but too bright for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Malfunctioned after 10 months, January 28, 2013
This is a great little clock...WHEN IT WORKS! After only 10 months of use, the alarm started to always go off. And by use, I mean...it just sitting on my sons dresser, not even using the alarm or any other functions. The alarm was set to the "off" position, but it would still display that it was on and it would go off everyday. In addition, the "nightvision" technology, which I LOVE, stopped working. Now it will only light up if I press the snooze button. So if this clock would actually work longer than 10 months, it would be great. Also, it needs to come in more colors.