4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for cats
Published on August 3, 2007 by C. Hicks

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a month
This thing is poorly constructed and the electronics are lousy. It did not hold up to minimal use. We set 6 of the 8 programs so it would feed 6 times per day.

Published on September 30, 2006 by E. Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for cats, August 3, 2007
C. Hicks (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
I've been using my ergo petfeeder for two years now and I'm not sure what I would do without it. Our cat would wake us up earlier and earlier each day for her food and meow any time we were in the kitchen. Since we bought this and started using it for her feedings twice a day, she no longer associates us with the source of food. That means we get to sleep in :) and no more meowing in the kitchen.

To address a few issues:
1) I did have motor issues on my first feeder, but ergo replaced it and it has been working great since
2) My cat tried to get into the feeder the first night, but once she realized she couldn't , she hasn't tried since. I have a fairly normal sized 10 lb cat.
3)If the recorded voice is getting static-y or the compartment isn't turning fully - it's time to change the batteries
4) If the feeder didn't go off at the appointed time, it's most likely that it's not in "autofeed" mode

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a month, September 30, 2006
E. Thompson (San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)

After a few weeks, the electronics started to fry: the recorded voice sounded full of static and the tray would not turn fully to the next position, leaving our cat hungry. If you can't rely on this to feed your cat every time, it's not worth having!

The plastic top has a round center that "snaps on" and is the "handle" for the top. This fell off and would not snap on again.

As far as usability, the top rotates around 8 "bowls" instead of the bowls rotating underneath, which means the "feeding bowl" is constantly moving. If you want to put this in a corner, the "feeding bowl" will sometimes be facing out, and sometimes be nearly inaccessible. This means the unit takes up more space than necessary because it can't be tucked away, it has to be accessible from all sides.

I am thorougly disappointed. I am trying one other product like this (from a different manufacturer, via mightypets) where the bowl rotates instead of the top. If that doesn't work out, I'm going back to a plain dish and manual feeding.

1.0 out of 5 stars They didn't think that a cat might try to get at the food?, April 18, 2007
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
This product is a joke. While it might seem hard to believe, there is absolutely nothing to lock the turning lid on to the motor. Nothing screws in or locks in to place. The lid twists on to the middle part, and once you access the timer and/or bowls a couple of times the "twist grooves" loosen up. So when I presented it to my cat for the first time he smelled food to the left compartment (yes there are big gaps for the smell to come through) and promptly pushed the lid to the left exposing half of the compartment with food in it and started to paw it out. Realize that it is the lid that moves, giving the pet leverage to push it off as well as making it impossible to access in a corner. Even the motor has some give to it, you can push the lid to the right (which would tighten the lid in the grooves) but it still moves a good inch, which even if the pet can't get the food it should at least infuriate him! It's not even possible they tested this product with real animals.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Designed, June 9, 2006
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
This product is poorly designed. My cat can push the cover and access the food very easily. And she's a really stupid cat! Don't waste your money.

Why can't someone design an automatic pet feeder that works! I've tried three types and read tons of reviews. None of them work!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this pet feeder !!!, July 24, 2007
Robyn (Danville, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
We were going out of town, and wanted to leave our cat at home. I read the reviews, and was concerned about this feeder, because many of the reviews said it was flimsy and had a cover that could be easily pulled off by even an old, sick animal. However, I decided to give it a try, because it seemed to be one of the only feeders that could be programmed to open at certain times, as opposed to certain intervals, and it has more compartments than any other feeder on the market. The feeder arrived with a new feature, which is that it now has a very secure screw to hold the cover in place. The feeder is quite sturdy and was easy to program. I love that it has a voice recorder, so when it opens to the next compartment, my cat hears my husband's voice calling "Willow - food, kitty, kitty, kitty." It has ice packs underneath, so you can use canned food if you're only going to be gone for a day, or dry food if you're going to be gone for several days. What an great invention!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as people say..., March 11, 2007
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
We bought this feeder for our elderly cat that needs medication twice a day (sprinkled on top of food). We were going away for a long weekend and thought this would be a good way to administer medications without bothering our cat-sitter to come to our house twice daily ($$$). The product is NOT sturdy, it's true. Any dog or large, strong cat that REALLY wants the food inside will be able to rip the top off and get inside. However, it's easy to set up, the timer is reliable and fully customizable to go off at any time of day, and the audio recording feature (while admittedly gimmicky) is kinda sweet. We liked the idea of being able to call our cat even when we weren't at home.

Some folks have also been kinda hard on this feeder because it's a battery suck. It runs off of 3 AA batteries (the poorly copy-edited/translated? instruction book calls for AAAs...), so yes: It is not meant for long-term, continuous use.

Bottom line: For a short-term solution to feeding an older cat while away on a long weekend, it does it's job. People looking for something more might want to look into a reliable pet-sitter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Our elderly sick dog was able to rip off the top of feeder!, November 3, 2006
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
We were going on vacation for a week and rather than take our dog to the kennel, we chose to try the vacation feeder so it could dispense his daily dose of medication. He takes several meds daily including steroids. The auto feeder seemed like it would work out really well for him. We tried it out before we left to make sure he would eat from it. It seemed to work out fine. When we got back from vacation, he had torn off the lid and ate all his meds. We weren't sure which day he tore it off and don't know how many doses he ate at once. (There were teeth marks on the lid where he pried it off). The thing that amazed us was that this is an elderly dog who has a serious medical problem, as well as arthritis, and he was able to tear the feeder apart. We are wondering what a young healthy dog would be able to do to the feeder! I think the problem is that the feeder is made out of plastic. Metal would probably have been a better choice!

We are hoping to be able to return the feeder due to poor design.

Colleen Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for occasional use, not every day, February 9, 2009
V. Dirkes (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
I bought two of these feeders when my husband, brother and I were going on a 5-week vacation, one for my two cats and one for my brother's cat. The clock and timer were easy to set, but it only goes by a day number, not by an actual date, so if you want to be able to set it to start on a particular date, you can't. I liked that you could record a message to the cats that it'll play when it goes off, but the recording quality is very poor and after a while all it played was static. I don't care because my cats know when feeding time is and are waiting right next to the food already...they don't need to be called! We were concerned that the cats could get their paws or noses stuck pinched if they got in there while the lid was rotating, but after some tests with our own fingers we decided it was unlikely. Overall we were very pleased with the performance of the feeder. The batteries last a really long time and it never failed to turn at the scheduled time, which is the whole point, not the other bells and whistles. Our friends appreciated us only asking them to come twice a week to refill the feeder rather than twice a day, so everyone was happy. My primary complaint is that while it does have 8 compartments for food, only 7 of them are really useful for scheduled feedings because one compartment is uncovered at all times, so either you can only fill 7 or you have to fill it at a regular feeding time because one compartment of food will be accessible immediately. I still prefer it to the type with flip up lids because I feel like the fewer moving parts the better. The price seemed a little high to us at first, but compared to the cost of the less useful ones that only hold two or three servings of food it's not crazy high. This feeder has some shortcomings, but after researching all of its competition I'd still recommend it. I wouldn't suggest it for daily use (we only use ours when we go out of town) - I want my cats to rely on ME for food, not a piece of plastic. If they weren't coming to find me when they're hungry, I might never see them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too many problems, December 18, 2008
I have had this feeder for about 6 months. Here are my observations:
1-The instructions are useless and don't even talk about the same feeder
2-I can see how an agressive cat could probably yank the top to get at the food in the next bowl. Mine never did, though
3-It does rotate only the top, so it really can't be stuck in a corner without the animal having to crawl over it to get to the corner-side of the machine.
4-You can't delete your recording without taking the batteries out and resetting EVERYTHING
5- The recording part of it was stupid, anyway. My cat never fell for it.
6-The battery indicator is wrong. It said I had enough battery, but when the machine started acting strange (only turned 1/2 way at a time, got REAL loud when turning on, randomly would beep for 20 minutes at a time)...only then did I check the batteries....but they did last about 3 months.
7- When it started making a lot of noise b/c of the dying batteries, my cat became scared of it and now refuses to go near it. So now it's useless to me and I'm in search of another one. :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Feeder ever, July 8, 2006
This review is from: Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder (Misc.)
My cat tends to gobble down all the food if I give her a lot of food at one time. With the Ergo System feeder I can feed her every three hours if I want or once a day for 8 days. It is great! My voice-recorded message comes on and calls her and the compartment opens to the next feeding. She is never worried she won't get fed if I get home late. It is better for my cat to eat small frequent meals rather than overeating once or twice a day. It would be great for diabetic pets or pets needing medication on a regular basis as well. It is wonderful if you can't be home at a set time each day. Pets love to know they will get their food on schedule even if you are not there. It runs on batteries so you can put it anywhere. I gave 4 stars because the programing of the timer is not as user-friendly as it could be. It uses army time (Example 13:00 is 1PM and 15:00 is 3PM). I have mine set for every 3 hours but you can program it anyway you want. It reduces anxiety for your pet when he/she knows the food is coming. My cat tried to push the door open but she couldn't do it. She knows the schedule and just waits for it to open now.

Ergo 8-Day Auto Pet Feeder