5.0 out of 5 stars Big, heavy and strong, which are all good things
Published on September 21, 2012 by Cavehobbit

I've been using this desk for about two weeks now. As for functionality, it meets my expectations. Aesthetically, it looks nice sitting on my regular desk. But....

Published 18 months ago by Black Diamond Skier

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, heavy and strong, which are all good things, September 21, 2012
Having looked at many of the alternatives to getting a standing desk this seemed the best choice to start with. I looked at attachments like swing-arms that clamp or bolt to your desk, but they all move when you use them, not good. A standing desk can run many hundreds of dollars just for a basic wood one that does not have an adjustable-height surface, such as those you can get from some Amish sources, and the ones that move using motors are thousands of dollars.

When this arrived I was very impressed by the packaging. The guys at Bargain Office Equipment know how to properly package something like this for shipping. The last time I ordered a piece of furniture it was damaged (see the review for a television stand in my profile), due to improper packaging by the shipper, and rough handling by the freight company. If someone at BOE is reading this, pass it on to the guys in shipping. If it is like the places I used to work, they rarely get a compliment and deserve it.

This arrived in a double box, which was then placed inside a larger box with Styrofoam in the corners to create a half inch gap or so. I used to work shipping and receiving, and still work in the shipping business, so I know a decent job when I see one. While it could be better, it was perfectly suitable for this item, and far better than most I see.

The stand itself is made of what seams to be thick, heavy chip board with a laminated surface all around. The surface is very well adhered to the body, with even seams on all edges, no gaps or unsightly flaws. It looks like something that belongs in a professional office.

It is very sturdy and I can lean on it when I want to, which is a nice change of position. No need to stand like a soldier when using it. I can also push it back and place my laptop on the main desk surface when I want to sit down.

My particular desk, with this item, is still about an inch shorter than perfect for me, but I can deal with it. I also would not mind if it was a little deeper front-to-back, but it is adequate as it is. I am working on a way to raise it a bit more, but have not decided how to do that yet. I want to be able to keep it's professional-office look.

All in all, if you want to try a standing desk without the investment of a lot of money, and already have a desk to place this on, this is definitely the way to go if you want to try a standing desk without a huge investment. At the worst, you get a bomb-proof monitor stand if you decide working upright is not for you.

I am going to give it 5 stars for design, construction, simplicity, and packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product !!!, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Ergo-Stand - Convert Desk to Stand Up Desk (Maple) (Kitchen)
After 5 years of sitting 9 hours a day, this item has finally ended the abuse I was putting on my back and legs. Sturdy, well crafted, user friendly and most importantly, cost effective !!!!
I have had it for 1 month. The transition from sitting all day to standing most of the day was not an easy one. (my feet and ankles were sore for a week !)
Now I am standing for 95% of my day and after work am totally able to function on an athletic level, (run, jump, workout, play hide and seek with my 5 year old) without pulling a hammy or a quad. I can feel the blood returning to my lower extremities.
After searching on the internet for 6 months, this product is by far the best out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously rough, sharp corners, uneven legs - poor workmanship, July 16, 2013

The quality of the workmanship is another story. The ergo-stand I received is uneven, so it wobbles. I've remedied that by putting a small pad of paper underneath the shorter leg. Considering I spent $199 on this (plus another $22 for shipping), I don't appreciate having to do this. But my real issue with this desk - and hence the primary reason I am giving it only two stars - is because the corners are very rough and extremely sharp. I noticed them when I first took it out of the box. Sadly, I now have a deep, 3-inch gash from accidentally bumping one of these sharp, jagged corners yesterday. Not quite deep enough to require sutures, but deep enough to bleed quite a bit. It's very painful and will very likely leave a noticeable scar.

My dad used to do a lot of woodwork as a hobby. He built a very nice coffee table, matching side table, and nightstand for me years ago. He had the wisdom and common sense to smooth all the corners a bit. (And all the legs are even - nothing wobbles!) I would think a company that regularly sells an item like this would have the same common sense and skill as my father, who did it just as a hobby. Apparently they don't. My most recent injury in the short time I've used this desk (due to these corners) wasn't the first, but it's the worst one and what prompted me to write this negative review. There's just no excuse for such shabby workmanship on a small wooden item that costs as much as this did. No excuse at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great option for those stuck at a computer all day., April 9, 2012
This is a nice sized, sturdy table. It's good for working at while standing, and has plenty of surface space for monitor, keyborad, coffee mug, etc... I love that it's made with re-tasked materials and isn't creating a burden on the environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could ever have imagined, July 19, 2012
Dominic Aquilino (Chelsea, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I am a pastor in Michigan and much of my work involves studying and computer work. Before I got this product I would spend most of the day sitting down. Now I spend most of the day on my feet, and I feel a lot more energized and efficient. This stand up desk is solid and well made. There is no doubt that it is worth the money. Are you sick of being stuck in a chair all day, trying to stay awake? Buy this...you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Could Make Customer Service a Little Better, February 17, 2013
The price seems high, but once you get the Ergo-Stand and start using it, you realize it was worth it. It's strange that something so simple could make such a difference, plus I don't feel tied to any particular type of standing desk. No matter what desk I get in the future, the Ergo-Stand should be just the right thing for it.

My only issue is with what appears to be a lack of communication with the customer (me). Having bought many times from Amazon, I've come to expect fast service and a quick response to my initial order. After five days of not hearing anything about my Ergo-Stand, however, I decided to email Bargain Office because I was worried it would arrive late and with an approaching trip, I did not want a large box sitting for days at my door. They responded promptly to my email, telling me that they were back-ordered and were building my stand (which is a good and surprising thing to hear) and it did, in fact, arrive on the last day of the expected delivery range. This would be a five-star review if they would just be proactive with letting me (or any customer) know within a day or two of the order (by when you expect to have heard something).

Still, it is worth the time and the cost. There was even a nice note in the box by the person who built the stand. Nothing cheap or slapped-together about this thing. A really nice product. I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way To Start Standing, September 14, 2012
The Ergo-Stand is a great accessory for someone who is currently using a regular desk but who wants to experiment with standing while working.

Its construction is top-quality and it arrived in very sturdy packaging (no assembly is required--it comes ready for use). You will be impressed with how nice this piece of furniture is. Very nice design, fit and finish.

There is additional information about this product on the manufacturer's website, including a video of how it's made. I spoke with Kris at Bargain Office Equipment and she was very helpful.

Note that the design with the black legs in the Amazon listing picture is what is currently shipping. There is an older design with gray legs in a different shape on the manufacturer's website that is no longer being built.

As you shop around for different stand-up desk solutions you will find that many are quite expensive. The Ergo-Stand, however, is very affordable and after having used it for a couple of weeks I think it is a great value.

I'm very pleased with this purchase. In fact, I like it so much I bought a second one to provide myself with more desk space while I am working in "stand-up" mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well In A Cubicle Environment, May 4, 2013
I got this to convert my cubicle workspace into a stand-up office. Like many folks, I am unable to modify my workspace since the cubicle system is helping to support my neighbor's workspace. The ergo stand works very well for me. I've been using it for about a month now and so far so good. It's non intrusive and simply sits on top your existing desk. I put a soft spongy pad on the floor and I'm able to work quite comfortably standing up, often without my shoes on for even more comfort. It did take me a couple weeks to build up my stamina but I'm used to it all now.

Before you buy, carefully measure your desktop height to be sure you'll be within the ergonomic tolerance for your body with the stand in place. I found this added the proper height to my desk with no modifications and at 6 feet tall, it worked out just right. I imagine you could add spacers under the legs if you needed it higher but it was just right for me.

What I liked most about this model is that it's deep enough to hold my monitor and my keyboard and mouse. Other similar items look to be a bit narrower and wouldn't hold the monitor and keyboard without hanging over the edge. It's very professional looking and very beefy and strong.

Shipping was good -- double boxed with Styrofoam at the corners for protection. I also dded a foot rest to make things even more comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars overall a nice choice, April 20, 2013
pepperminty (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I love standing at my desk instead of sitting, and I like this desk stand pretty well. And it's American-made in Detroit.

It's solidly made, doesn't slip around and looks nice. I like that it has cut-out areas on the top and bottom of each side panel because I end up passing my keyboard and mouse through them occasionally in order to work on the lower surface sometimes. Fortunately I have an adjustable monitor that tilts forward and adjusts up and down, so when I or my family wants to sit instead of stand the ergonomics are still reasonable with a tall stool.

The biggest difficulty I find is that it reduces the overall workspace on my rather-small-to-begin-with desk by dividing it up into smaller sections.

Also, if I could ask one thing of the designers I would have them round the top corners slightly--they're a bit sharp. Overall, I'm pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stand Up!, October 5, 2012
Best and lowest cost solution for anyone who wants to work standing up.
I cant believe how much better and more productive I feel. Desk is attractive and sturdy. One corner was damaged due to poor packing (no visible damage to box, so can't blame UPS)
Product demand must be high because it arrived a week later than promised.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ergo-Stand - Convert Desk to Stand Up Desk (Maple)
Out of stock