Eric Clapton and J.J. Cale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2014 5:48:51 PM PDT
Jeff B says:
The Road to Escondido is such a great album, J.J. and Eric seemed to meld into a single entity. I am a big fan of both and I was saddened by the death of Cale. This is going to be a great album. Order it now.

Posted on May 22, 2014 5:27:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2014 5:31:12 PM PDT
H. Brown says:
I certainly hope that at least ONE TUNE will be added with Leon Russell. J J Cale was just another unknown "Okie" when Leon offered to bring him into his stable, Shelter Records. Nearly all of the Shelter artists are now affectionately known under the umbrella of, The Tulsa Sound.

Leon Russell was the first member of the Tulsa scene to make inroads into the L.A. music scene, playing for Ricky Nelson along with James Burton. He then joined Phil Spector's Wrecking Crew and then produced Garry Lewis and Jan & Dean. Russell brought many Tulsans out to Los Angeles including Jimmy Karstein, Bill Raffensperger, Tommy Tripplehorn, Carl Radle (Russell & Clapton [Layla] ) bassist, and Larry Bell. Russell was later co-owner of the Church Studio in Tulsa and of Shelter Records, which signed a number of significant Tulsa Sound artists.

and Eric Clapton...

Eric Clapton was the most prominent non-Tulsa artist associated with the Tulsa sound. For ten years, Clapton's band consisted of Tulsans Carl Radle on bass, organist Dick Sims and drummer Jamie Oldaker. During that time, Clapton was a frequent performer at a variety of venues in the Tulsa area. In his review of Clapton's 1978 album Backless, critic Robert Christgau wrote, "Whatever Eric isn't anymore . . . he's certainly king of the Tulsa sound."

In addition to Clapton, Cale's influence has been cited by Mark Knopfler, among others. His songs have been recorded by many artists, including Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, The Allman Brothers Band, Johnny Cash, The Band, Kansas, Santana, Captain Beefheart, Widespread Panic, and Bryan Ferry. The songs of Tulsan Elvin Bishop have often been covered by other artists, including Starship. Taj Mahal had two Tulsans in his band: Chuck Blackwell and Gary Gillmore, and one Oklahoma City native, Jesse Ed Davis.

Now I ask you, if not for Russell, would we have ever heard of J J Cale?

Posted on May 27, 2014 11:46:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2014 11:48:43 AM PDT
H Brown is correct Leon Was the One who put everyone on the map.
Someone should speak to a a Clapton's people there something wrong here that's for sure and Mudcrutch would be better served then just Petty

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 12:06:36 PM PDT
dexndiz says:
You got that right!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 1:37:52 PM PDT
Rizutto says:
I certainly agree with this posting. In all the years I've listened to JJ Cale and others from the "Tulsa Sound" it always comes back to Mr. Russell. Thanks Leon!

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2014 7:01:04 AM PDT
Confusing, Dude. Do it again.

Posted on May 30, 2014 9:39:10 AM PDT
The thrill of hearing both J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton on The Road To Escondido was a pairing that had fire and respect sustained with both performers. I think that Mr. Cale gave a spark to E.C.'s playing and affected his song selections after this album. J.J. came out with his amazing Roll On CD not long after this, while Eric next studio release Clapton, showed some of the fire that was accompanied by having two J.J. Cale songs included. With this compilation Eric bestows his thanks to J.J. in a respectful way, by asking those artists that were inspired by Cale to provide renditions of J.J.'s songs in appreciation and thanks. I have not heard this project yet. I will add it to my must hear list , when it is released in the Summer of 2014.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014 11:08:34 AM PDT
Don't just assume they are blowing Leon off. He's a reclusive man, he may not have had any interest in doing this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2014 2:36:11 PM PDT
Paul J Moore says:
Not saying H. Brown is wrong but he/she should have used quotation marks to represent what they used from the Wikipedia page on The Tulsa Sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tulsa_Sound

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 6:22:34 PM PDT
The short answer is yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 10:11:49 AM PDT
Raja says:
I love Leon but the album is a tribute to JJ Cale, not Leon, not Eric. Can't you just let Mr. Cale have one last hurrah?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2014 6:35:15 AM PDT
Well done ! Leon is definitely underappreciated. Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight !

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 6:09:34 AM PDT
rainbow glo says:
When I read the write-up for this CD, I was so very pleased to see JJ get some well-deserved tribute from his peers. My first question was also, "Where's Leon?" I'd expect him to be involved in SOME way, as their career histories are inextricably interlocked!

Throughout Leon's career, he has included a few of JJ Cale's songs in his live shows, and the best and most sincere tributes are made while someone is still living! Even as recent as a few months before we lost Mr. Cale, Leon and friends performed "I'll Be There (If You Ever Want Me)" on a TV episode of Bluegrass Underground from Cumberland Caverns.

It's entirely possible Leon was asked and had to decline due to conflicts with his schedule, or other reasons. This sort of thing has happened before.

It can also be a case where Leon, who can be a quirky fellow at times, had some personal reason he preferred not to participate. There exists precedents for that as well. And having said 'no' a time or two CAN cause people not to continue asking, so who knows, maybe he did NOT get asked.

Eric acknowledges Leon's involvement with JJ even on the CD description on his own website here: http://bit.ly/1u4Om5V

There, you also see the extended list of musician credits, which reveals more of the depth of representation of other Oklahoma natives.

Leon is a glaring omission, true, but one just can't discount the possibility that he was asked and declined. Whatever is behind his absence, I cannot think he wasn't thought of for this release.

It's just really sad that he's not included, no matter what the reason is.

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 4:55:22 AM PDT
Amazon Queen says:
I completely agree as I was also shocked to see that Leon Russell was not involved in this tribute recording for JJ Cale. Amazed!

While there are reasons we may never know for which Mr. Russell is absent from the tribute record of his friend.....still, it saddens me.
Cale and Russell are Legends, together as well as separately, and I believe that an opportunity for Russell to be included is the only respectable consideration.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 12:58:26 PM PDT
Thoughtful, Insightful posts. Thank you all for them. Attended Lean live concert in Santa Cruz CA years ago. Talent Talent Talent to this day, "This Masquerade" plays in my head, so beautiful it is. "we are lost in this masquerade"..... This song has so much more meaning than a simple statement about a relationship. It is a statement about all relationships and expectations that enable a masquerade.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2014 9:35:40 PM PDT
Fayeroe says:
I photographed J.J. Cale a couple of times for some of his work. He talked a great deal about Leon Russell being the force behind his "being discovered". I wish LR had been included.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2014 12:33:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 17, 2014 12:49:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2014 12:38:07 PM PDT
Leon Russell had dropped out of sight until Elton John asked him to do "The Union" album. John asked him to do it with him because (Leon) has been underappreciated. The album was a 5-Star hit. Clapton should have included one of Cale's songs done by Russell. I'm disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2014 12:40:02 PM PDT
Good post. Good commentary. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2014 10:34:57 AM PDT
i could not agree more they were the shin dogs wow that dates me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2014 5:54:09 PM PDT
"Howdy Hi Shindiggers!" I had no idea who the Shin-Dogs were back in the 60's when the show was on, and thought they looked a little "Elvis Presley hair" compared to the post-Beatles, burgeoning psychedelic bands that had my attention. But when R&R started to get back to "the church" with Leon, Delaney, etc. it became clear who they were. The first Leon album is still one of the greatest records of all time. JJ & Leon, "Oklahoma lonesome cowboys" indeed.

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 6:17:43 PM PDT
C. Coker says:
The album was put together by people who were influenced BY Cale, not people that Cale was indebted to. If you want a Leon Russell tribute CD, then gather up all the folks who he influenced. But I don't think Russell owed anything to Cale, unlike the people who put this project together.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2014 5:13:37 AM PDT
Raja says:
Absolutely. Almost everything in these posts is about Leon. As stated before, this is about JJ Cale, not Leon. As great as I think Leon is, this album has nothing to do with him. How about some comments about the album for a change?

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 12:01:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 29, 2014 12:06:34 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  May 2, 2014
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale
The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale by Eric Clapton (Audio CD - 2014)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (647)