Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 21, 2012
I received this watch as a Fathers' Day gift, so I didn't select it myself.

It has precise movement of the second hand, not a continuous sweep (that's not a knock against it, but simply a description). The three main hands (hour, minute, second) are black and easy to read.

UPDATE: The watch is pretty accurate. I've had it 3 months now and have never needed to adjust it, it still matches the system time displayed on my phone, cable box, etc., perfectly to the minute. Also, as another poster noted, it comes preset with the correct time, date, day, month, and phase of the moon; presumably they set it at the factory when they put the battery in?

There are four complications: day of the week, month of the year, date of the month, and phase of the moon. The watch comes with everything set; you might need to reset the time only if you change time zones. There are instructions for setting everything, and warnings to not adjust at certain times of day (when the day or date complications are proceeding). The day of the week, month, and date are all discrete movement, and automatic.

UPDATE: the date can be hard to read; the numbers are rather small. The phase of the moon, on the other hand, is immediately clear, fun, and my favorite thing about the watch.

UPDATE: I incorrectly thought the date of the month advanced automatically from the 30th to the 1st; it does not, I have to advance it one day by pressing the button at the 4 o'clock position, below the winding knob. This takes literally less than one second. (It might take longer to advance from February "29" to March 1, but I doubt it.) There are similar buttons at the 8 o'clock position to advance the day of the week, and at the 10 o'clock position to advance the month.

There is no stopwatch function to use the tachymetre; to use it, you basically have to start when the second hand is at 12. There is an inner ring marked in 1/5 second increments, but without a sweeping second hand or stopwatch, it's not clear why they have it on this watch; presumably, they use a standard face design for multiple watches.

Due to limited dial space, only alternate month names are printed ("June" is actually the point midway between May and July, for example), and only alternate dates as well. The dates can be a little hard to read, the numbers are very small.

The body is very thick compared to other watches I've worn, comparable to the width of my smallest fingernail. Less than a centimeter, but pretty thick. It's relatively large, not huge, but clearly a man's watch; it is just way too big for a woman or child to wear. There is more than the usual depth from the crystal to the watch face. The moon phase is behind the face, but it needs the clearance for 4 hands (h/m/s and complications) height. The crystal face is flat and non-distorting.

The second hand does not point *precisely* at the second markings, which doesn't bother me, but might bother others. UPDATE: It's only discernible if you actually check for it, really. In everyday use, you don't notice it. If this bothers you, you probably won't be happy with a watch that costs < $1,000.

Overall, very nice, gets compliments. I specifically wanted the phases of the moon complication, and the all-analogue retro style. If a stopwatch/tachymetre function are important to you, or if your eyesight is poor and you can't read the date, then don't get this one. If you want a nice watch that handles the week/month/moon complications automatically (and you want these complications), then this is a good choice.

UPDATE: The leather band was rather stiff at first, but has loosened up nicely. I wear it with 0 or 1 hole showing in the band; I have standard wrists. If you have small wrists, you'll need to replace the band. If you have large wrists, there's plenty of room.

UPDATE: after 3 months, still very pleased. Rate 4/5.
on May 4, 2008
This is a very elegant-looking and multi-functional yellow-gold watch.
Dark-blue hands create a good contrast on the light yellow-gold dial. It has all the functions (day, date, month) plus the moonphase, one expects from a grand-complications watch. The moon-phase is a real working one. The wooden box is also very nice.
The Shipper "The Watch Emporium" - excellent service, shipped it to Istanbul Turkey in abt. a week.
I strongly recommend this to everyone. You will not regret it.
Quartz ??? Of course yes. Don't you need accuracy? ...
on June 18, 2011
I received this watch as a father's day gift this weekend. As my excited 7yr old daughter helped me open it, I was very surprised to find a well crafted wooden box. Upon opening it I was treated to a great surprise - a moon phase watch! I had a moon phase from another vendor watch brand many years ago and I really liked that style. This Eric Edelhausen Calypso watch is even more attractive than my prior watch. This is my first Eric Edelhausen watch so I wasn't sure what to expect.

As I removed the watch from the well padded, over-sized wooden box, the first thing I noticed is the weightiness; this ain't your dad's average Timex! The Calypso feels solid and the band is a good stiff high quality leather. The gold plating on the the outside is bright and lightly brushed - its not shiny. The back plate appears to be solid stainless steel. The watch face has lighter golden tone and the lettering is a crisp, roman font.

After giving it the once over, the second thing I noticed is that the seller preset all the month, day, date, moon, and time dials! Such attention to detail is astounding for a mail order business these days. I immediately put the watch on and I must say it looks very respectable; I really like the retro styling. I've not seen a finer watch in this style! I could not be happier with my father's day weekend gift.

PS - I'm told by my wife that the vendor,The Watch Emporium, was very prompt in their shipping. The purchase went smoothly. Hope y'all find this review helpful.
on January 20, 2014
While not an heirloom it is not a complete piece of junk like several of the Watch Brands that have sprung up. The picture does look great and the watch falls a bit short in reality. It is cheap watch and upon close inspection one can tell. However IT DOES KEEP PERFECT TIME! It is a complicated Moon Phase and Date watch (bit hard to read as very small). I have had the watch for several months and so far - I am amazed to say - that it has not lost or gained a single second. I have very expensive watches that do not keep such perfect time so I am impressed and am upgrading my initial assessment because the Eric Edelhausen"Calypso Moon Phase" watch actually deserves that! :)
on November 15, 2009
This a great watch especially for those with smaller to medium wrists. This timepiece is classy, beautifully retro styled and fun to wear daily. Ideal for semi-formal occasions. There is a variant of this model with a paler face and gold hands that could be even more visually appealing but the dial contrast is somewhat weak compared to this one with dark hands and cream background. The only possible design flaw on this watch is the date (day of the month, 1-31) sub-dial (at 3 o'clock) on which the font size is too small to be easily readable. Nice presentation/packaging (wooden box), hypoallergenic leather band, and excellent service from the Watch Emporium.
on April 29, 2012
I got this watch for myself after passing an important examination. Very pleased with the way it was packed and the quality. It was not an oversized watch, but looked very dressy. Elegant in an old-world kind of way. I have no complaints about the function of the watch, and I've received many complements about it. I would definitely purchase this again.
on February 1, 2010
I ordered this watch for my husband's birthday. It came 2 days after I ordered it, even though it was slated to be delivered in 5-10 business days. In addition, not a day goes by that my husband says how much he likes the watch. He loves the accurateness of the moon phases, and the elegance of the watch itself. He gets many compliments on it.
I commend you on carrying such an elegant item.
on September 19, 2013
I'm pretty sure the Eric Edelhausen watchmaker that went out of business in Germany in about 1929 has nothing to do with these watches. These are all made in China. Having said that, they are not bad at all. It's a very nice quartz watch with a respectable Ronda quartz movement. The band is high quality leather, and has an alligator skin appearance. The watch is gold plated, and the face is very attractive. Here are some nits to pick: The case is just too small to easily read the information on the subdials. The letters and numbers for day/ date/ month are no larger than 1mm. They have a very thin font. The yellow face doesn't maximize contrast, so reading what numbers those dials are pointing to is not an easy task unless you're in the brightest of lighting. It's easier for me just to pull my phone out, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a watch. The second issue is that is has a mineral crystal and not sapphire. I have less eexpensive watches with a sapphire crystal. This is going to scratch much more easily.
The third issue is that while the top of the case is very polished and shiny, the sides are not. They have tille if any polisheing, and the gold color is not shiny at all because of it, but quite dull. It comes in a box and wooden case suitable for a Rolex, and would make a nice graduation present. That's my take on it. A pretty good value, but I have some issues with it.
on August 3, 2007
It is a very beautiful clasic watch. The only thing that slightly annoys me is the font size of the dates, i.e. it is really small. The seller is also excellent.
on April 16, 2014
I got this for my husband and it is more beautiful than the picture can show. A great gift for someone.