5.0 out of 5 stars The Master Captured in a Sublime Performance
If you have even the slightest interest in the playing of an electric guitar you absolutely MUST check out this DVD.

Eric Johnson fans have been circulating old VHS copies of this for decades. EJ has appeared on "Austin City Limits" as often as any performer - perhaps helped by being from that town, although I don't recall seeing other Texans appearing nearly...
Published on December 14, 2005 by Mark J. Fowler

3.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, poor quality
This is a must collection for any Eric Johnson fan...he's guitar playing is just unbelievable. This seems like one of his earlier performances and you can tell he quietly amazes all the audience on the show. However, there is one hick up on this dvd...on track #4 there's an error on the video and keeps on skipping from one frame to another. I sent my original purchase...
Published on March 10, 2006 by Michael Yim

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A gifted guitarist..., May 6, 2006
Greatwood (Sugar Land, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
I have always loved following great guitar players and have been a fan of Eric Johnson's for years! I remember picking up Eric's Tones CD years ago and being blown away by his inspired guitar playing! One of my favorite CDs is Eric's masterpiece, "Ah Via Musicom" and to this day treasure it along with Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow" as some of the finest guitar music ever recorded! So you can imagine when I heard that Eric's 1988 Austin City Limits appearance was on DVD I could not wait to get a hold of it! I had heard over the years that this was a must see but never got around to actually seeing it until now. Was I pleasantly surprised!...This is one unbelievable DVD of Eric at his peak! He is absolutely on fire in this set and you can't help but feel your jaw drop as you watch him play! I remember years ago when I was visiting my brother in Austin...I saw Eric at Threadgills-a popular Austin eatery..he was having dinner by himself and I wanted so much to approach him and ask for his autograph but did not want to interrupt his meal..I have never seen him perform live but this comes pretty close..

For anyone who is into guitars..this is a must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tone Master Strikes Again, January 3, 2006
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
This DVD is a must have for anyone who loves guitar music. Grammy winning Eric Johnson is in a class by himself and this performance shows him at his best. The sound quality is very good (Johnson was involved in that you can be sure) and the camera work showed his amazing technique as well as some appealing closeups of the then mid-thirties but very young looking Eric. He can play Hendrix without breaking a sweat, pull out a Wes Montgomery jazzy number and out-Cream Cream. His singing has progressed since then, but his playing ability was certainly its peak when this was made. Austin City Limits should be congratulated on releasing this and hopefully they will eventually release all of his appearances on that show, as the ones I've seen from 1984 and 2002(I think) were excellent as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performance-- ahhhhh memories..., November 1, 2005
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
Incredible performance-- could have been better package. Trademark is NOT included on this DVD contrary to a pre-release tracklist that I saw. Also, I *think* that EJ was on ACL before this episode-- that's the one that Price saw that led to a deal, etc. -not this one. He has been on multiple episodes-- nice if they could have pulled from the multiple appearances.

Nitpicks aside- this is a great DVD- His beautiful performance of Are You Experienced alone is worth the price. Amazing to watch him play a solo live that originally was presented backwards. All tracks are standouts.

Like many of you, it brings back my memories of trying to catch this on VHS back in High School- and being amazed at his versatilityt, speed, and seemingly impossible left-hand contortions. It is a sad reminder that so few kids today are exposed to music where people actually try to *play well* -let alone *master* their instrument.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The DVD that keeps on giving, April 1, 2006
This review is from: Live From Austin Tx (Audio CD)
Totally amazing live DVD. I've watched this DVD probably 20 times and I still love it. I started off just liking the songs that I knew "Cliffs of Dover, Righteous, Desert Rose" but then I found that his old school stuff is great too. This DVD is worth buying just for the songs Emerald Eyes and Western Flyer. Plus you know that a guy is a stud when he can pull off wearing a band uniform top on stage. Don't hesitate, buy this now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance from one of the best., November 28, 2005
J. Lewis (Washington,DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
I remember taping this off PBS in 1990 and the copy slowly wore out. I am glad they rereleased this concert in its' entirety. The sound quality is gorgeous!! I can still hear EJ's chords ringing out in space... Thanks ACL for finally paying attention to your fans. Please put out more shows :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Is, and always will be the Best Lead Guitarist in the World!, September 10, 2006
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
Ah yes,...never to disappoint the music world. This 1988 Austin City Limits performance of Eric Johnson and his great percussionist and supreme bassist is absolutely divine. Eric Johnson fans are not simply fans they are hypnotized by his excellent style and creativeness on that old Fender Stratocaster. I have seen all the great lead guitarists and from the first time I saw Eric on stage in a little club in San Angelo, TX-Roberts Pickle and Furr Factory in 1979, I was overwhelmed by this virtuoso and have been ever since. My opinion is Eric is better than all the others, most of his fans will agree and a lot of us are fairly accomplished musicians.

Eric Johnson was born into this world to show us what can be done when someone sets their goal to become the absolute best,... and he will continue. Thank you Eric, for providing such beautiful music and grace to us who needed you to give us that little Electromagnetic charge to usher us through the universe. You are the best. No one else has or ever will come close to you. Fender finally built the Eric Johnson Stratocaster and they should-nobody makes a Strat sound that good but you. Call me one of his many dedicated fans who buy his music,...there are quite a few of us who have great taste out here in the real world.

Thank you Eric Johnson, keep it going!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Mastery, August 7, 2006
This review is from: Live From Austin Tx (Audio CD)
For some reason, Eric Johnson waited a long time to release this gem. Recorded in 1988, this live outing displays Mr. Johnson in top form as a virtuoso of the electric guitar.

His tone is instantly recognizible without ever sounding cliche, cloying, or boring. Like fellow Texan (now no longer of this earth), Stevie Ray Vaughn, Mr. Johnson can seemingly play lead and rhythm guitar simultaneously. I would like to see the video to understand how he accomplishes this. (And I did see him live at the kick-off concert in Denver of his tour with Joe Satriani a few months ago. It was superb, but they only let him play for one hour.) His transitions between various tones are seamless and masterful. His solos are fluid, firey, and always well thought out. There is no shredding for shreedding sake here. Mr. Johnson is far too tasteful for that kind of exhibitionism. (I won't name names.)

Mr. Johnson is supported strongly by bass and drums. His singing is sparse and not annoying, although not on the level of his playing. (Who could expect that?) The Hendrix covers are superb. Few people can pull that off.

To show his versatility, Mr. Johnson gives a beautiful performance of a Wes- Montgomery-inspired piece, "East Wes." Few rock guitarists would ever even attempt that.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for die-hard eric johnson fans., August 30, 2006
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
The audio quality of this DVD is not so great, but it is still a must have for die-hard Eric Johnson fans. Watching Mr. Johnson perform his guitar magic is worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly One of The Best Guitar Performances Ever, October 31, 2005
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
Like the first reviewer, I have yet to actually see the DVD version, but I remember being totally amazed as I caught about 3/4 of this show way back when on PBS. Eric's visionary style and elegant, sonorous tone thoroughly permeates every note of the performance throughout every flawlessly performed piece. This is one of the most influential performances I have ever seen, and in fact, is one of the reasons I started playing guitar 4 hours a day back in high school. I remember calling PBS stations at the time asking "Where can I get a copy of this?!" always denied for whatever reason...and sadly, I never saw it repeated. The excitement of seeing this on DVD is unparalleled! Thank you, Eric and company for finally making a long time "dream-come-true" when it comes to entertainment. This performance is so impressive, that another musician saw it, immediately called his record company and asked to sign the artist. His name is, or rather was, and now is again, Prince. So do yourself a favor. Order this DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of Austin City Limits History, February 17, 2006
M. Rogers (Central Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx (DVD)
Eric Johnson entertains and amazes us in this performance. Sure, he's playing a character of the day with his 80s hair and what can best be described as a leather jump suit from the Boy George civllian army. But the music and sheer virtuosity over shadows any fashion misgivings. The sound quality is quite good and the camera captures Eric's fret and pick hand gymnastics well enough. The vocals don't always stand out in the mix, but that's not why you listen to EJ. The members of his band are of similar caliber. And Eric gives both the bass player and drummer stage time. Being a guitar and bass player myself, I'm not only captivated by Eric's bell like tone and agility, but the bassist's tone and technique is just as rightous. The acid test was asking my teenagers to sit down and watch Cliffs of Dover. They watched and listened intently, to that song and three others. They loved the music and thought he was way cute! Then one said, 'Dad, is it normal to play like that?'. I said, 'no, it's definitely not normal'. But it sure is fun to watch.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx
Eric Johnson - Live From Austin Tx by Eric Johnson (DVD - 2005)
$16.98 $13.99