1,043 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution
UPDATED July 18 2010
Published on May 29, 2010 by 998Superbike

1.0 out of 5 stars If it crashes, you have to wait for DAYS.
It's a damn shame, because they sound great, and work great except when it crashes.
The unit simply stops responding, and freezes with whatever it was displaying on the screen when the software barfed, staring you in the face for days.

This is a known problem: (Google "mw600 reset")
or see this thread on Sony Ericsson's forums:
[...]...
Published on March 26, 2011 by C.M.Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution, May 29, 2010
This review is from: Sony Ericsson Hi-Fi Bluetooth Stereo Headset with FM Radio (Wireless Phone Accessory)
UPDATED July 18 2010
After living with it for several weeks, I wanted to add an update. Overall, the unit still works well. The volume control still poses the issue everyone complains about but I can live with it. There is one additional design issue that rears its ugly head. The clip is a bit annoying. Depending on the type of shirt you have, the unit may need to be clipped upside down, making the headphone cord somewhat shorter. I'm not sure what shirt this unit was designed for but a U.S. mens dress shirt, the button holes are on the left (wearing the shirt) so you'll need to clip the unit upside down forcing the headphone jack to your right side, making the cord shorter. Wearing a shirt having a chest pocket can solve this but a lot of my shirts don't have a chest pocket. A symmetrical mountable clip would make this a better product OR a maybe a longer headphone cord. I still like this product a lot. I use it every time when making calls at the office and when listening to music every chance I get. Still happy with my purchase.

SUMMARY:
Great compact sleek sexy unit. Worth the price in my opinion. Volume control is different and should have been thought through a bit more but does not detract from the overall utility of this unit. Battery, pairing, and functionality works as described in product description/literature.

SIMILAR PRODUCTS OWNED:
i-tech clip

REVIEW:
I love this BT unit! I have been searching for something like this for a long time. I like to buy things that can provide utility in more ways than one. This one seems like it can fit the bill. This is my first experience with a Sony Ericsson product.

Primary usage: Listening to music while training/punching/kicking for boxing TKD
Secondary usage: Conferences calls for work (zzzzzzzzz)
Tertiary usage: (To be determined) Mount to my motorcycle helmet to drive my helmet speakers (not concerned about taking calls during riding)

I did not use the FM radio...didn't care about that feature.

Pros:
-Small
-light weight
-No complaints, everyone hears me okay
-Volume is okay/loud
-Discreet (doesn't scream bluetool but more like Security or Secret Service :))
-Clip has "teeth" which grip clothing better
-Battery life is great, long lasting...I ran 6-7 hours at work non stop listening to music...battery still read full
-Headphones sounds nice, compared to Skullcandy's Full Metal Jackets. The FMJs have a bit better range/sound but the shorter cord of the Sony's make up for it. I'm NOT a audiophile but I was able to tell the difference.
-The next/pause-start/previous/power buttons work great
-Pairing was a non event to a Blackberry 8320

Cons:
-The volume control is a bit different. Its a small unit so there aren't many places to grab it, mostly you wind up grabbing it by the sides where the volume control is and at times, you may move the volume a bit. If the volume moves alot, you may be fondling the unit too much :)
-The ear buds are hard to grasp at times as they are small, rounded and smooth. (not a big deal)
-The cord from the left ear to the 3.5mm jack could have been a tad longer. (not a big deal)
-Non USB power cord (but may be due to the small circuitry requirements)

IN USE:
In use for several days. I'll update this review if anything changes for the worse. All in all...wow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy: handy, portable and hassle free, April 11, 2010
Keb (Baltimore, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
The MW600 is a wireless Bluetooth unit with a built in display and FM receiver. The device looks and feels very light. It has a rubberized and a glossy black design, with an integrated display and clip, which secures the unit fairly well. The display is really great; it shows caller id, battery indicator and the sound track. When playing FM stations, it displayed the name of the station and name of the song. However, because the unit is so small (about the size of a AA battery, but much lighter), it was hard for me to hold the device without pressing any of the buttons inadvertently. After some practice I got used to it. The play/pause button is normal click button, but the volume control button is unlike I have seen before. It is essentially a slider; you slide you fingers to increase or decrease the volume. It took me a while to get used to its response, but after some use, I adjusted well. Though I think, if you have large/stodgy fingers, physically handling this unit could be a frustrating experience, especially early on.

The MW600 has a 3.5 mm jack, which allows you to use personal headphones, a big plus for me. The sound quality was excellent, and the Sony in-ear headphones that came with it reproduced wireless stereo sound very well. It has multipoint feature, because of which I was able to pair up to three devices as it claimed; my HTC Magic phone, Toshiba laptop and a Mac Pro. It allowed me to take calls from my phone seamlessly, the music stopped when a call came in and faded in again as I cut the call. Pairing with all three devices was seamless and without any problems, although I had to enter passcode "0000" with Mac Pro and PC as it mentioned in the instructions, but strangely not with my phone.

The unit has a built in battery that lasted for about 12 hours of continuous playtime , an hour more than what the manual claimed. The black glossy polished display showed the battery indicator and beeped intermittently when the battery was low. It took about two hours to fully charge the unit. One disadvantage is that you cannot use the unit while it is being charged, but this wasn't a big deal for me.

When used for calling, the other person could hear me very well, without any problems. The device has a bunch of features under the hood, which seem to contribute to the overall great experience. For example, it has some degree of noise cancellation, echo cancellation, whisper mode, SSP, eSCO, etc. It claims to have Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), but I haven't used this feature.

Overall, I think this product is great; buy it for simplicity, elegant design and internal features that work without much hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect but Some Cause for Celebration (more cause as of 08/17/12... See Below, August 13, 2010
**********************************************************
BIG NOTE: *** New Addendum***The MW600 has been discontinued (I learned of this on 07/04/12)

According to Sony's website, the MW600 is "no longer available." That means that Sony is no longer making the thing nor selling it directly. To replace it, Sony has come up with two things that aren't the positively horrible MW1 (dragged down to a two-stars-out-of-five on Sony's own website... ouch!). The new models will be one without any display and a few control-buttons (which is currently being sold through Amazon) and one, the SBH50, which is basically the MW600 with a larger display, a physical volume control instead of the MW600's electrostatic slider, and an OLED display large enough to read your stream of text messages and caller-ids on--it even maintains the MW600's FM radio. The price-point is as yet unknown (it can only be found on Sony's global website, but intelligent speculation would put it somewhere in the eighty- to one-hundred dollar range. I am looking forward to buying one with my fingers crossed.

Why am I crossing my fingers? I haven't seen the SBH50 yet, but if Sony's engineers have done their jobs right, it will be an easier-to-use version of the MW600 with all the kinks worked out ahead of time in the international markets. If they *haven't* done their jobs right, the SBH50 could be another MW1 which all accounts say is a lemon on steroids.

The MW600 was an angelic product, (one that actually lists a half-hour battery life improvement on its replacement!) but when the current crop of them is gone, that's all there will ever be of them.

I want the new one, but I have no idea how the SBH50 will function and I personally intend to stock up with at least one MW600 before they're gone.

For more information on the topic, search for "SBH50" on the web.

**********************************************************

BIG NOTE: *** New Addendum*** Apple has finally fixed the bluetooth compatability problem in the most current version of MacOs (OSX "Mountain Lion").

For the first time, I have had the MW-600 achieve a connection to my iMac and maintain it, in constant or in intermittent use, until the battery on the MW600 runs down. You can now use the MW600 to walk away from your Apple Computer to do the dishes during commercials or get a soft drink and nothing bad will happen.

More cause for celebration: the MW600 just bought itself an extra star!

**********************************************************

*This is the full, original review. New notes are in parentheses*

The Sony Ericsson MW600s are not perfect, certainly not a panacea, but they function well in multiple roles; offering a stereo bluetooth headset that allows the option of using high-end headphones for improved sound quality and isolation. I voted for them with my own money and, so far, I would be more than happy to buy them again. (I finally destroyed on set after more than year's use--please never ask me how--I bought a new one, in white this time, and I am thinking of buying a second one for dedicated use with my computer for audio and Skype-calls).

Before going on to talk about the real, solid reasons for liking them, it is necessary to get other people's reasons for disliking them out of the way. The MW600 has characteristics that some who have reviewed it have called problems. The following things are true about the MW600:

1. It is not made of solid titanium.
2. It doesn't fit a keyboard's worth of controls onto a two-inch cylinder.
3. It offers only partial compatibility with Apple products. (fixed! 08/17/12)
4. It is not so simple to set up that a monkey in boxing gloves could do it blindfolded.

Now, the good stuff.

Physically, the MW600 bluetooth stereo headset is a short, black cylinder with its sides forming a triangle. A clip with a light spring is attached to one angle of it, while the other two angles house controls that let you attach it to devices and control it using a black-and-white, organic light-emitting-diode (OLED) display.

Its overall length without headphones is shorter than my pinky and yet it interfaces with many bluetooth-equipped computers, smartphones, and music/movie players with limited compatibility with Apple's iPod Touch and iPad (this has since been improved in later versions of iOS and OSX Mountain Lion. 08/17/12)

Unlike it's predecessors, the MW600 has a headphone jack instead of fixed headphones meaning that it can accept any stereo headphones with a standard 3.5mm plug. The headphones that come with it have a short cord and offer very good reproduction for the sort of sound that comes from a portable player, but the fact that you can plug anything you like into them offers you the option of swapping out the units that come with it for better headphones, including audiophile-level units (high-impedence units like Grado SR-60s will work with the MW600, but it doesn't have the oomph to get the best from them, nearly all buds are okay and some are surprising. 08/17/12).

For people who need better sound or louder volume this is a definite cause for celebration. It means convenience: it means that users with high-quality, two-part headphones of the kind made by companies like Shure and Denon can integrate them into their telephones via bluetooth for enhanced call-quality; it means that exercise-lovers can use high-end equipment while running on treadmills and it means that someone sitting in a cafe can stand up and stretch without having to disassemble their set-up first.

Call quality on the user's end with the MW600 is as good as you can expect when the sound of the caller's voice is sent directly to both the receiver's ears while MW600's microphone seems adequately sensitive and wind-resistant.

Of course, nothing is perfect and the MW600 is no exception. The MW600 is not for people who can't be bothered to learn control sequences of simian complexity, or who are too sensitive to put up with the limitations of an interface that runs off of four buttons and a (slightly frustrating) volume slider to control a device that is smaller than the average matchbox.

Also, Sony and Apple are not the best of friends and the Sony device's music controls aren't recognized by Apple devices, including computers (this has changed, the MW600 will now connect reliably to an iMac running OSX Mountain Lion 08/17/12). The MW600 will interface with and play output from Apple devices, but the controls on the MW600 only play/pause the iPod Touch/iPad. They will not fast-forward, select, skip or do anything else to the actual music sequence.

This means the user of any of Apple's i-devices will have to undergo the ultimate hardship to change tracks or playlists: he will have to reach into his pocket and use the iPod's physical controls, supporting the brutishly heavy machine in his hand for second, after grueling second...

At the end of the day, it is hard to call the MW600 a bluetooth device because it goes above and beyond the great majority of bluetooth devices, offering a power and flexibility that makes it better than nearly everything out there, including stereo units like the Motorola Motorokr M9s and single-ear bluetooth units like the various Jawbone devices that can cost nearly twice as much. Even paired with good headphones, their sound is never as good as a metal-to-metal connection's is, but with good headphones, for bluetooth, they're a revelation.

Oh, I almost forgot: they threw in an FM radio for free.

(addendum 08/15/2010: After several hours of listening to an audiobook on my iPod Touch at work, the iPod touch ran out of power (in part because of the high power demands of using bluetooth). I set it on a charger a substantial distance from where I was standing and I found that I could still keep listening to it using the MW600 with no loss of sound quality. The pause/play function worked fine with me standing where I was with a closed door between myself and my player.)

(addendum 09/01/2010: Trying to use this device, sharing it between multiple Apple devices, can cause frustrating connection problems. After connecting it to my computer, iPod Touch and iPad, I soon found it necessary to erase profiles and start over from scratch when connecting. Other companies make bluetooth gear that handles this more easily. Also, the general incompatibility of Sony and Apple bluetooth hardware (mentioned above) can cause problems on the computer side when you attempt multiple pairings with devices of the same type (largely fixed, as of 08/17/12).

I still like the things (I've used them to listen to an audiobook playing on an ipod that was charging 30 feet away), but I have to say that I like them less (they're much improved in value by the enhanced Apple-compatability 08/17/12)

1.0 out of 5 stars If it crashes, you have to wait for DAYS., March 26, 2011

This is a known problem: (Google "mw600 reset")
or see this thread on Sony Ericsson's forums:
[...]

Reps at Sony Ericsson, say to reset it, you have to let the battery drain completely, then plug it in, recharge it. This does work, however it's days before the battery drains completely.

I don't know about you, but I don't have days to wait around for my headset to quit contemplating existence, and get back to playing music. This unit has NO hardware reset button, and has crashed twice on me in the 2 weeks I've owned it.

The second time was the last straw, and I decided to take out my screwdrivers and see how far I could make it into the thing before I hit the battery.

Here's what I found: The only screw on the device is under the clip, so I thought maybe there was another way in. I inserted a small flat-tip screwdriver into the seam between the the headphone-end and the main body, right next to the Sony Ericsson Logo. No amount of prying got me anything but gnarled plastic, so I decided to pull the pin on the clip and try the screw. Turns out that was unnecessary, because the clip just pops off with almost no force required, and there is no "pin", it's just held on by two nubs of plastic. Well great! Maybe they hid the reset button under the exterior plastic behind that screw! Nope. removing the screw allows you to pop off the usb-end of the plastic, where you can see the mic cover, and the business-end of the hang-up/answer button, but no further screws. I thought they might have hidden another screw under the Sony Ericsson Logo, so I wedged my screwdriver into the side, and watched as the seal gleefully popped off the device, and liberated its self into god knows where in my room. Pausing a moment to hear the button dance through junk to find a final resting place, I then turned back to see that there is in fact, not-a-damn-thing under the seal, except what looks like a push-pin reset button, but turned out to be either a flaw in the plastic, or a hole for a nub on the logo button that is now lost forever. This didn't matter though, because, after prying off the headphone end (with sickening cracks and breaking plastic), and breaking off the play buttons, it becomes clear that the only way further into the thing involves a hack-saw, and a good pair of vice-grips. At this point I threw the lot away, with the frozen screen still displaying the battery charge indicator (yes, this thing will just freeze while it's doing nothing but charging!).

It's really really unfortunate. I love the sound and the battery life of this headset, but I will not own anything that I have to wait days to use again, and may crash at any time. All this could have been avoided by a simple pin-reset button, but there isn't one, not even under the surface.

I posted all this so people who own this device don't go looking for the reset button and void their warranty. Just return the damn thing. :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequels aren't always flops, August 27, 2011
Length:: 7:53 Mins

This is a short unrehearsed review of the Sony Ericsson headset that I have been putting off. Previously I reviewed the Sony DRBT100CX which this unit succeeds in a few ways.

First of all it comes with some really uselessly designed headphones, but it has a 3.5mm headphone jack to let you upgrade. I replaced them a month later with a pair of [...]. The problem with the included headphones is that from the junction there is a 6 inch(approximate length) of cable to the headphone plug, and a matching length running the same direction to the left earphone. Then there is a 18 or so inch length running opposite to the right earphone. But replace them with your favorite earphone and all is golden.

So that bit aside, which is really a plus when all is said and done. Other upgrades are the OLED text display which gives you accurate information about the state the device is in. When it's on or off, which device it is broadcasting too, and even RDS info when listening to compatible FM radio stations.

As I have come to find from comments to my other review, I should point out that the device is capable of multi-point pairing which I show in my video review.

Audio quality is top notch, a nice flat response that doesn't color music to any degree that I can tell. Having the option of headphones gives you many ways to listen to music and hear your phone calls. I use the Sony headphones I mentioned with this unit when I am out and about, and when I am at home I use a pair of [...] with this, which shows the versatility.

The only flaw, which I was aware of ahead of time is that the volume management is sort of a pain in the bum because it uses some sort of touch sensitive strip for the volume. It just takes a little getting used to and I have come to like it. You just have to learn how to grip the device to avoid the volume knob.

As always I write these reviews while doing something else so they may be missing things and there may be odd parts. I answer most comments within hours, so feel free to ask questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good stereo bluetooth headset, August 3, 2010
T (Honolulu, HI) - See all my reviews
One of the best A2DP? headset I purchased so far. Like the rest of the reviews for the volume control, it takes sometime to get used to it. It should have been a regular up/down button like the rest of the controls on it instead of touch based.

You should lose the earbuds that come with it, they are terrible and uncomfortable so you should hook up your own favorite one. I recommend finding a really good short cabled earbud otherwise you will have to wrap up the excess cabling a lot (well it depends on where you clip it, I clip it to my t-shirt collar while running).

Pairing was quick and seamless on my HTC Desire (Android).

FM Radio feature - works pretty well, can't set any presets but holding the FF button will scan for the next radio station. The device will remember which mode you set it to last e.g. headset vs. radio so just remember to set it back to bluetooth device, it won't switch back automatically.

Device controls - spend some time to get familiar with it. Standard controls: on/off, touch volume up/down, call/answer, one long button bar for FF/RF and Play/Device mode (hold Play down & use touch bar to switch between Bluetooth/FM radio mode).

Volume - controls as everyone else mentions is awkward because it is touch sensitive so if you grab and hold it from the sides, the volume will change depending on which side of the bar you hold. Otherwise the volume can go beyond loud enough.

Battery life - I haven't fully tested this but it seems that it'll last quite awhile, don't expect much from a device this small.

Audio quality - don't expect it to be like those enclosed over the ears headphones but I'd say it's good and it will depend on the quality of your earbuds too!

The spring clip on the back keeps the device clamped pretty good. I run with it clipped on to my t-shirt collar and it never moves.

Light up LCD display - good to have but it never really displays proper caller ID for me, otherwise it clearly displays FM radio frequency/mode/volume bar, etc.

Power/charging - comes with a charger and charges using the micro-usb connector same type as my HTC device so now I can charge all my devices using only one connector type. Charging the Sony bluetooth is pretty quick, I'd say within a half hour it is charged.

Summary: it's a good buy for me; I would give it as gift. Criteria for me was: good loudness range, decent controls, A2DP, unobtrusive compact design, AND you can use your own headphones/earbuds! Winner! Hope this has been helpful to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy, April 5, 2011
I purchased the Sony MW600 last week, and so far it is great!! I haven't even been using it for a day, but I feel compelled to at least add my initial reaction to the purchase. By the way, I have a VZ iPhone 4 and I purchased this product mainly because the earbuds that came with my iPhone did not stay in my ears. I don't have a daily workout routine or anything, and still the OEM earbuds would fall out just upon turning my head side to side. I work as an accountant in a gov't office, and will use the buds for music at work and taking calls on my commute. Also, as I searched for a replacement, I considered wired sets initially but came across bluetooth sets and they were just cool, so I went with this particular item. I paid $50 after shipping on the "Bay" - shhhh don't tell amazon - for a brand new, unopened MW600 in white.

Ease of Use - 5 of 5
When I got the device, I opened it and quickly read through the instruction booklet, which took 15 minutes. I charged the device overnight and fired it up this morning after I got to work. Using the two or three steps in the booklet, it paired with my iPhone 4 immediately. DONE. The device remained connected to my phone all day. I paused the music and went to lunch with some coworkers. When I returned to my desk, I put the earbud back in and hit play and it picked right up where it left off. LOVE IT!!!

Functionality - 4.5 of 5
Once I fired up the music on my iPhone, the earbuds came to life automatically. All of the functions seem to work very well. The device effectively plays and pauses music as well as skips tracks forward and backward, and changes the volume. The small display isn't that important to me, but I do like the battery indicator. The reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because of the volume control and text messaging. First, the volume control functions, but since it is a "touch sensitive" slider bar, it is not perfectly responsive, and can take a couple or three tries to get it to respond. I kinda liked how the stock earbuds had a click up and down better than this device's touch slider bar but, it's NOT a big deal, and certainly not a deal breaker. Second, with wired headsets, the iPhone plays the text msg alert through the headset, so you know you have a text. It doesn't do that with the bluetooth. At least not automatically. Maybe there's a setting. But I do like to get an audible alert through the ear-buds when I recieve iPhone alerts and notifications, and I'm not getting them automatically.

Sound Quality - 4.5 of 5
First, let me say that I am not an "audiophile" and I don't pay extremely close attention to the crispiness of highs and the clarity of lows and all that. I didn't go around listening to tons of headphones to see which provided the best sound. So, with that said, these in-ear buds pass my hearing tests with flying colors. They do a nice job of sealing the ear and they sound great to me. There is a fair bit of wire noise when the wire bumps agains my collar, which happens when I move my head around. But from my experience, that happens on all in-ear buds. Warning: These earbuds are noise cancelling, and you will hear very little with these in. That's good and bad.

Battery Life - 6 of 5
I am honestly amazed at the battery life. After listening to music all day long on them, the device shows the batter life at only half gone, and my iPhone battery is at about 1/4. I think the phone's battery is a bit lower than usual, but not much. Seems like it's usually around the halfway mark at the end of the work day.

Durability - ???? UPDATE!!!!
I have now owned this product for about two years. The earbuds held up well until about a month ago. One of the earbuds started to short out and then finally went silent altogether. This was not a huge issue because I usually have only one earbud in anyway so I can hear what's going on around me. However, if only one earbud is in, the unused earbud pulls the cord across my neck and I constantly have to tug it back in place. (if that makes sense). One reason I chose this model is because I can just plug in a new set of earbuds into the bluetooth portion of the device. I have been doing this with a regular set of earbuds, and I'm currently looking for a more permanent solution with a shorter cord.

Overall - 5 of 5
For the $50 I paid, this little device is my new best friend. I am VERY happy with my purchase after the first day of use. I look forward to many more. The few drawbacks are insignificant and the benefits more than overcompensate for the minor limitations. LOVE IT!!!!! ....UPDATE: If I could, I would give this 4.5 stars because of the durability issue in the earbud. However, since I can easily just plug in any set of 3.5mm earbuds in their place, I left it at a 5. If I had it to do over again, I think I would still choose this product! Happy shopping!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bluetooth Headset, September 18, 2010
This Sony Bluetooth headset will not let you down, because it has so many different features and capabilities over most other headsets.

First, it looks great, feels great, easy to use. It has 3 buttons on the bottom (previous song, play/pause and next song) it has a volume control at the top of the device, it has a power button at the right side along with a micro usb input to charge, a clip in the back to attach to clothing, and finally the microphone and a phone action button at the front. Granted, the volume touch bar on top can be a hassle to use sometimes since it has a weird sense or registry, but it isn't much of an issue, you can get used to it, plus you can have your own headphones with volume control if you wanted. The screen included shows you the track title (I have an HD2) and I can open up the music player by pressing the play button, or when I get a call the caller shows up on the screen as well, and I can go to voice command using the phone button. THE SOUND QUALITY IS FANTASTIC, it is no different than plugging them in the device.

Second, the fact that you can use your own headphones is absolutely amazing, I had no problems using my own in-ear headphones. Also, the headphones included are very nice, they are not cheap, they are in-ear style and the provide excellent sound, the length of the wire is very short (no extension was included) as it was meant for you to attach it to your clothing near your neck. The downer in all of this is if you have a headphones with a microphone built-in you can not use, the headset simply uses it's own microphone, meaning the headset has to be close to your mouth to talk.

Third, one cool feature in this product is it can be connected to 2 different devices at once. Meaning you can connect your ipod touch to it to listen to music (stereo of course) and have it connected to your phone as well. When you are listening to music and a call comes in, the music pauses and it starts ringing in your ear and you can click the phone button on the device to take it or hold it to ignore it. The buttons have many different operations other than next song... etc for example, while in call, you can mute the microphone by holding the play/pause button. The device also has an fm radio tuner, you can ditch all your electronics and just use it as a radio, the quality is great but I feel the range is not the best and seeking stations can be a little of a hassle because it takes a couple of seconds to do so.

Forth, another great feature worth mentioning is the headset can store 3 music devices and phone devices. Currently all my 3 slots are used for my phone (music/phone), my laptop (music in class/skype), and my ps3 (chat)

fifth, the battery life is nothing short of amazing, has a rated 11h talk time and a 8.5h stereo listening time with a whopping 520h standby time which is about 21 days. These numbers felt exaggerated at first, but after my usage I can believe them. One day, I played music from my HD2 (it shows the music title) for about 6 hours with occasional calls that total 30 mins. Then I went home and spent 5 hours playing my ps3 and using the Sony headset. At the end of that, it still said I had half full battery life. Pretty impressive.

Lastly, the great uses of this. While working out, I hated to keep having my phone in my hand while jogging or lifting weights. I hated having my Zune 120 on my arm, it's very uncomfortable. With this headset, you can keep your phone at a safe distance and have this tiny device connected to your shirt or shorts. I use this even at home when I sleep, it is much better than getting tangled up with the phone.

Over all I say this is the very best you can get, the price is extremely reasonable for a device that can do so much with fantastic styling and sound quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, long battery life, November 30, 2010
As I wear glasses I was looking for a Bluetooth stereo headset that was not over the ear or wrapped behind the ear since I always have comfort issues with those. The MW600 seemed to be the perfect solution and so far I have been very happy with them, using them with my iPhone 4 (running 4.1 and now 4.2) and my 2010 Macbook Pro.

One thing to note with audio quality on the Macbook is for some reason Apple defaulted bluetooth audio to a really low bit rate. To get good audio quality you need to run the following command in the terminal and then reconnect the headset:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 50

The pause, next/prev, and volume controls work fine with the iPhone and Macbook (iTunes) and the display even shows the song name from iTunes, but not from the iPhone sadly although it does show the caller name/number for incoming calls. Hopefully Apple will add that in a future iOS release. The nice blue OLED display always shows a battery meter that is much more helpful than just getting a low battery warning and when not playing music it shows the current time, which is useful as it lights up when you touch the volume strip. While everything else has dedicated push buttons, the volume is controlled by a touch sensitive strip which you have to swipe along to enable volume control and then swipe to adjust the volume. It takes a little getting used to but it is a clever way to prevent accidental adjustment and illuminating the display just by touching the dongle is a neat feature. The volume strip also doubles as the menu selection since it can pair with up to 3 devices and simultaneously connect to a phone for the mono headset+mic profile and a music device for the stereo profile. (So you can keep it connected to the phone while listening to music/games from the computer or listen to music etc from the phone and still answer/make calls)

Other similar types of headset seem to have a very long cord to the bluetooth dongle (almost as long as wired headphones), but that seems to defeat the point to me. This unit has a cord that is just long enough to clip the dongle to the top of your shirt or sleeve.

The right earbud cord is longer than the left so it is meant to go around the back of your neck. Some people don't like this, but I think of it as a feature as you can distinguish left and right at a glance or just from feel and the right earbud cord acts as a lanyard for a little extra safety in case the dongle comes unclipped (hasn't happened to me yet) or just when you want to take the earbuds out.

In any case the dongle uses a standard 3.5mm jack that the earbuds plug in to and since all the controls are on the dongle you can always swap them with your own headphones and not lose any features.

I consider myself a cheapskate audiophile (I can appreciate the difference in quality, but can rarely justify the extra cost) and I think the sound quality is on par with midrange wired headsets. The mids and highs are very clear and while the lows are very loud they are perhaps a little too loud causing them to be slightly muddy, but nothing major. I have only come across one piece of 'busy' classical music that seemed a little off, but I think the bluetooth stereo profile simply choked on the frequency range in that piece and wasn't necessarily limited to the MW600.

Battery life has been excellent so far and starting a day with a full charge I cannot use them enough to run out of battery before the day is over. I think I have got over 8 hours of continuous stereo audio streaming from them, which is about what Sony claim. Charging from their AC adapter seems to take a while though - about 4 hours, but at least it uses micro USB and so can be charged from any micro USB cable.

Range is excellent in my house and is best with my iPhone 4. I can leave my phone upstairs in my 1600sqft condo and walk around the entire house listening to music or on a call without any break up.

So in summary:

Pros:
- Excellent value.
- Audio quality on par with midrange wired headsets
- Good battery life
- Excellent range when coupled with iPhone 4
- Real battery meter instead of just a low battery warning
- Display also shows clock and music info with AVRCP 1.3 compatible devices as well as the caller name and/or number
- With the right earbud size (comes with 3) very comfortable, especially for someone who wears glasses
- Dongle has a standard 3.5mm jack so you can use a different set of earbuds
- Dongle clip seems strong and stays on a cotton t-shirt while jogging
- FM radio with RDS(!) for the station/song name is a plus

Cons:
- Takes about 4 hours to charge
- While it remembers which music device it was last connected to it does not automatically switch to the other one if the last one is not in range or is off, which requires you to switch to the other music device manually
- User guide could be a little more explanatory (even the online version)

If it wasn't for the long charge time and if it automatically connected to the next music device in range I would give it 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars not compatible with iPhone 4 for music streaming, February 7, 2011
I bought the MW600 from Amazon and have had a frustrating experience trying to use it for streaming music from the iPhone 4's iPod app. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it appears to work fine (the iPhone 4's iPod app says that the music is playing and that the output is directed to the MW600) except no sound comes out. If I'm very patient, I can get it to work within 5 minutes by powering the MW600 off/on, or resetting it, or switching to the radio and back, though I have found no sequence that consistently works.

I used Sony Ericsson's support chat line and discovered they won't even try to diagnose the problem if your phone isn't a Sony Ericsson phone. I phoned their support line, and they knew about my problem, and said the MW600 is *not* compatible with iPhone for music streaming. They said there is another model that is compatible, but I didn't write the model number down ... because I'm not buying another Sony Ericsson headset.

I've rarely used my headset for phone calls, so I can't say one way or another whether the MW600 is fully compatible with the iPhone for voice calls.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Sony's advertised Stereo Bluetooth® Capability using the A2DP1 and AVRCP profiles is not sufficient to ensure interoperability with other manufacturers' phones for such a simple scenario as music streaming. I don't know if the problem is Sony Ericsson's, or Apple's, or the Bluetooth SIG's. Really guys, this stuff should just work.

In this case it doesn't.