5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the hype
For a long time, I swore by pure nickel-wrapped strings. I've always enjoyed the tone of nickel over steel-- not to mention steel-wrap strings eat through frets like crazy. I was intrigued by the hype around cobalt wrap and decided I would try a pack on a whim.

I'm glad I did. Everything I love about nickel is there, and more:

They're smooth under...
Published 4 months ago by M. Lamb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great if you want clear, clean tones
Tried as an experiment, found I didn't like the tone. It's personal thing and I suspect they'll work well for high gain players.
Published 3 months ago by Stephen H

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the hype, April 4, 2014
This review is from: Ernie Ball P02722 Cobalt Hybrid Slinky Electric Guitar Strings, .009 - .046 Gauge (Electronics)

I'm glad I did. Everything I love about nickel is there, and more:

They're smooth under the fingers, easy on frets, full of rich and balanced tone, and are very durable. Granted, all of these are somewhat subjective values, and your preferences may vary, but there is one empirical quality about these strings that is clear-- intonation. With nickel, I always accepted some deviation in tuning as a trade-off for the tone they produced. When I put the cobalt-wrap strings on, the intonation improved substantially. While I wouldn't consider myself an "aggressive" player in terms of picking/fingering technique, I was pleased that these strings didn't vary their pitch in response to my picking strength as much as the strings I was using before. Chords ring truer, sustain is enhanced, and the tone cuts through a mix better without being harsh. These are my new go-to strings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Verdict is in about cobalt coated strings., June 10, 2013
I like the feel and sound of these strings very much. I'm an avid guitarist, and I've gone through a lot of brands of strings, and I have to say I'm impressed by the tonal difference I hear with the cobalt coating. The strings feel silky, and the tone I get now sounds even richer and harmonically balanced. It's really made a difference in my enjoyment of playing guitar. I've had a set on one of my guitars for over a month now, and I'm not seeing the kind of wear and corrosion that I normally see on non-protective coated nickel plated strings. They still sound crisp to me, not so much as brand new strings, but they've held their good sound. As far as I can tell, they're very durable and I would recommend them to other guitar players.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Cobalt Strings, September 12, 2012
These strings are amazing, they have a very high output, which surprised me. Though, if you are into heavy music these strings are not for you. I played my guitar in standard, and the output was amazing very bright and clear sound, but when I put my guitar back into drop B the strings lacked the low heavy sound I'm used to, and they sounded bright even though my guitar was in Drop B, but the strings are amazing great texture and great feel to them very comfortable to play with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great if you want clear, clean tones, May 13, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Great strings!, December 21, 2013
Very pleased with the sound and feel of these strings. They are like normal EB strings on steroids I guess!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to the hype, at all, December 9, 2013
After reading plenty of reviews and watching some endorsement videos for these Ernie Ball Cobalts, I was pretty pumped to give them a shot. However, I certainly found myself disappointed!

People kept saying how they felt silky smooth, and that they sounded brighter than most other strings, etc. But, I can't attest to that. I've played two different sets of Cobalts at this point, and they both had this sort of drag to them, as if there was some resistance when trying to slide up and down on the strings. It almost felt like a set of old strings to me, when they stop being slick. Also, I didn't find them any brighter than other strings that are made to have a bright tone.

I put these on my guitar, tried them out, and one of the strings broke soon after. Fortunately I didn't like them anyway, and I quickly swapped them out with a good set of Elixers. Much, much better. I'm glad these were cheap, at least!

5.0 out of 5 stars GRREEEAAAAAAAAAAT, November 20, 2013
These strings fare very smooth, but not soft. Really nice feel to them. Great strings :} I recommend them to EVERYBODYYYYY

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound great, October 28, 2013
These strings sound awesome and feel awesome. They have a silk-like quality to them and can take a lot of stress after broken in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome strings, October 23, 2013
These things sounds great and are really easy on my fingers. I've bought stings before that make my fingers dirty but I've had no such problem with these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Strings, September 28, 2013
I just bought 3 pairs of these strings while they were on sale. The first pack I opened must have been sitting on the shelf for a while because they looked tarnished already. The strings didn't quite have that new string sound because of the tarnish, but they still sounded much brighter and clearer sounding than most of the strings I tried. The strings have been on my guitar for about 3 weeks now and they still sound the same. I usually have to change my strings every 1-2 weeks because my hands sweat a lot and are very oily. Overall I am still impressed by the strings even though it seems I received an old pack and will definitely buy them again. I will come back and review them again when I have to change the strings again hopefully my next set isn't tarnished also.

Rate and Discover Movies