on July 6, 2012
I have never read any books on this subject that were this intense. The title let me know it was not going to be light & fluffy (but dark). I could not believe how the story took me in and I have to admit even the "bad" was so good.
on June 10, 2012
I loved the book. I thought the writing was very accurate to what happens to our bodies even if pain is inflicted on us. Very exciting & stimulating. I did feel sorry for Lydia alot but had to remember she chose to be there. The sex parts were very exciting, wishing i could be lydia. Cant wait for the next book.
on June 4, 2012
Having read the Fifty Shades Trilogy, I was disappointed in the level of BDSM (it really didn't live up to the hype). I am so glad that this one fell into my lap! This is everything that 50 shades isn't. It is very intense, full of well written scenes. Preston, Kruin and Gabriel are full of twists and turns (and demands and discipline!). The sex scenes just roll off the page and run around the brain for a few laps...there were a few places where I had to stop and catch my breath. Wow...can't wait for the next one...I would have given this one 6 stars if I could....Highly recommend this one!
on May 17, 2012
4.25stars. Welcome to a Nouvelle Vie (A New Life) where the disclaimers include don't cross your legs around us. In the interest of complete disclosure, I didn't care for how contrived the situation felt to start this story and it colored my complete enjoyment of the book.

After finding herself painted in a corner, Lydia indentures herself to Gabriel, Kruin & Preston as a sex slave for an indefinite period. Throughout the book the sex is flaming hot for this quartet. The character personalities were well defined and there was never a chance of confusion which character or character set was currently front and center. In my mind they were clearly: Safe Harbor/Gabriel (sheltering arms and all); Rock of Gibraltar/Kruin (ever sure & clear with expectations and; Ocean/Preston (deceptively calm and treacherously dangerous simultaneously). Lydia (of course was the ship in my scenario) finding her place here is quite beguiling. I also somehow felt a little let down by the last 10% of the book - it felt a tad uneven.

Make no mistake if you are not into erotica this is definitely not the book for you. However if erotica is your poison - grab this book. The cover is exquisite; the sexual set pieces are flamingly hot. It is well written, with an intriguing plot and intertwining characters that keep you reading and not a waste of time.

I wanted to love this book but I didn't - I liked it quite a bit. Again my personal mindset kept me from loving it.
on February 1, 2013
Summary

Jane was a bad girl that needed to disappear before she was arrested. She ask for help from an old neighborhood friend, that offers her help with a price attached.

Jane becomes Lydia, a plaything/slave for this three totally different man.

Lydia finds in each man something different, but within the triad and her new place, everything she was looking for but didn't know.

Cover 5 stars
A truly beautiful cover. I love how it represents perfectly the main characters and I also loved the black & white colors. I would definitely buy this book just by it's cover because I would know looking at it, that it would be erotica with submission. Masterpiece!

Characters 5 stars
Lydia - such a rich "heroine". An incredible multidimensional character, Lydia takes me into a roller coaster of emotions.
Yes she was a bad girl from the start, but she got her second chance/wind... and she really grabbed it.
I could relate with her, I did connect with her and at the end I understood her. What else could I expect from a character?
"Three men, all of whom had more control over her than anyone ever had in her entire life, all of whom had proven their ability to evoke infinite levels of both sensation and emotion in her physical body"

The triad:
Gabriel - Who wouldn't fall in love with him? He was the gentle soul, the safe harbor and the easiest to love of the triad.
I really enjoyed that even though she need the trio, she could love one, or better yet, she could feel loved by one of them. He was her favorite and he deserved to be.
He was the proud one. He only gave her, what she voiced for him. Even though he was the "Dom" she the "sub" he never gave her anything that she had not learned inside that she wanted.
"It might be the only thing keeping both her and me sane."

Kruin - His name really matches him. He is mysterious, but he is also the strength of the group. He made everyone feel protected, cared for.
He liked to discipline her. He was the more strict and them and the one she wanted approval from the most.
"Her warmth was also evoked by Kruin's enigmatic yet affectionate power"

Preston- He is a hard one to talk about. He is hateful really. He is in a quest for vengeance from some misgivings of a teenage that she wasn't even really aware. But I understood in the end how important his role is for the book and also for Lydia. He really knew her better than herself at some extent. He was obsessed with her since they were kids and to be able to understand and forgive him was a huge step for Lydia. In his crazy way he has always loved her. He liked humiliation and total submission.
"Your offer came with a heavy price, but if it weren't for you..." "You gave me a whole new life."

plot 5 stars
Lydia journey through self discovery is painful, hurtful, shocking, but so so so good. Really I did feel all of Lydia's emotions along the way. I did hurt and I did love with her.
The author explained so well her emotions and feelings.
She doesn't give us a lot of background on the man, but this book is all about Lydia and we learn and feel Lydia deep inside.
It was not a very easy story to follow at the beginning, but afterwards it gets the flow. I was always trying to guess what would happen next and the intensity of feelings grew along the way. I ended the book really wanting more. I want the second book NOW! lol

sex heat 5 stars
Wow! Yes it's mostly dubious consent, but is hot hot hot! Really really hot! Needing cold shower hot! Wow!

originality 5 stars
I love to rate thinking of what has the author offer me new.
Let me tell you, Nina Lane gave me a totally different book than anything I've read before. I do read a lot!
Is this all believable and credible? I'm not certain, but she sold it to me. :)

editing 5 stars
Excellent editing work. I remember only one typo mistake.
Her writing is also superb!

Impressions, Opinion

Nina Lane has a lyrical way of writing that it's not usually found in erotica read, specially contemporary books. I really like it, IMO it makes it richer and it matches her stories. But I know that it bother some people.

A book that takes me into a roller coasters of emotions, that offers me almost a cathartic experience is a wonderful book IMO!
So, for me, this book was PERFECT!

I'm really looking forward to the next book, because it does leave us with feelings of unfinished business.

I recommend to anyone that wants to read DARK erotica. I meant dark! It's not your usual BDSM books with predefined DOM/sub roles.
on May 23, 2012
This was a recommended book on the Kindle for me given my recent interest in erotic fiction sparked by 50 Shades of Grey. Make no mistake about it, this is NOT 50 Shades! This is is a pretty hardcore BDSM book about a woman's sexual enslavement to three men. This is by no means about a romantic, monogamous, consensual BDSM relationship. The men in this book are ruthless and there is no safe word. Parts of this book made me cringe and at times uncomfortable. Despite being somewhat disturbing, the book is a very quick read. Prepare for a roller coaster ride of non-stop raunchy, and somewhat depraved, sexual scenarios. My main criticism is that I found the characters unlikeable, mainly due to the fact that the author doesn't develop them enough. We know very little about them other than some superficial information. You may be aroused by don't expect any emotional or intellectual connection to the foursome in this book.
on May 27, 2012
I found this book both disturbing and rather depressing. Unless you get turned on by a woman basically getting raped and beat then you might want to skip this one. It's rather insulting really and although the author professes to be a woman, it reads like it was written by a man. It was definately not a turn on, more creepy than sexy. Yuck.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2014
Fantastic read thank you ! It was almost disturbing at times and I really felt for Lydia but came to accept and love her place at the house ..
on July 21, 2013
Very good!! Very sexy!! Very hot!! If you want an easy trashy read, then this is it. It was fun. And I was turned on at every page. It may not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed this book.
on July 5, 2013
First of all I have passion for dark books... an I have read plenty an was disappointed been looking for a new one for some time now an a friend recommend this one and I admit I was a little skeptical at first the erotic dark was exactly what I needed... its dark its disturbing an its not meant for anyone with a weak stomach... read at ur own risk