Erroneous shut off Is this unit still having the problems with shutting off unexpectedly, as many earlier reviews mentioned?
asked by Barry Bannister on November 24, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 answers
A
votes
I have had the same concerns for a while now. However, I noticed in the product description that one of the features is "Power-interrupt protection;". It seems like this must not have been the case back when most of the shut-off problems occurred. In any case, I ordered on today.
Pamela Zehr answered on December 12, 2011

A
votes
This is the email I got back from HB when I inquired about the erroneous shut off:

Dear Tom,

Thank you for contacting us.

We understand your concern with the issue of the unit turning off early. We can assure you that this issue has been investigated and remedied by our engineers.

Please let us know if we can further assist you.

Thank you for contacting Hamilton Beach Brands, Inc.

Jordan
Consumer Affairs
Thomas J. Wilcox answered on February 23, 2012

A
votes
I called the company about a month ago (before I bought the machine), and the phone rep acted as though she had no idea what I was talking about. Either they don't get many complaints about it, or they're instructed/trained not to acknowledge the issue.
Ashley answered on January 13, 2012

A
votes
I'm considering buying this model, I'd love to know if the shut off problem has been fixed. There seem to be too many complaints to say it is simply a user's programming error.
Teresa answered on January 15, 2012

A
votes
Thanks Rainer Rock-very good point. The rubber smell mentioned also bothers me. I won't be traveling with my slow cooker, so the sealable gasket is more of a toxic issue than a plus for me. Another thing I found: Good Housekeeping (I believe) liked this slow cooker at first, but after more extensive testing, found that it did not always reach the proper temperature in the right amount of time, which compromises food safety.

After much research, I think I may go with the Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touch Screen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel. Cook's Illustrated rated it very well, and it seems to be most consistent with cooking temp. There are some complaints about the handle eventually coming off the lid, but no complaints about uneven cooking or electrical issues. It currently costs about twice the amount of the Hamilton Beach, but the HB has numerous reviews about it dying in less than a year's time, so are you really saving money? (BTW, I LOVE the Hamilton Beach stand mixer, the company has a win there, but they need to fix the glitch with this product.)

I will update my post with any new research I do.

UPDATE 11/04/12
I BOUGHT THE Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touch Screen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel and couldn't be happier thus far. It always cooks consistently (though a bit quicker than most recipes say) and I've had no problems. It is now $79.99-$15 cheaper than when I purchased it. Only $30 more than the Hamilton Beach. Why risk the shut-off defect?
Teresa answered on January 15, 2012

A
votes
Hi, All:
After much research and hearing all the problems with the Hamilton Beach model, I went with the Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touch Screen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel. I've been extremely happy with it. There isn't a rubber seal, it doesn't turn off, and I haven't found the problems others have, like the lid not sealing tightly or the outside of the unit being too hot. I've cooked several meals that have come out great. One time, the unit didn't go to auto warm, so we have to investigate if this will happen again. I'll update my post then. But all in all, very happy with the Crock Pot model that Cooks Illustrated rated the best in their test kitchen. The temp seems to hold steady and true, and the cookers is also very nice looking.
-Teresa
Teresa answered on February 23, 2012

A
votes
Tom,

Interesting... thanks for sharing that. Though I can't tell from their phrasing whether they're acknowledging it's been a problem in the past, or if they're giving you a generic answer/trying to placate you & your "new" concern. lol.

Either way, I'm returning mine tomorrow. What with all the issues mentioned (especially the fact that the rubber [NOT silicone] gasket retains odors, and problems I've had with it ruining meals), I've finally decided it's not worth the hassle.

Good luck everyone! :)
Ashley answered on February 23, 2012

A
votes
I wonder if the earlier versions had this ""Power-interrupt protection noted in the description"
and if they did then the problem really did exist.

If it didn't have this in the early version product description then it would be safe to
say the shut down problem has been fixed.
Rainer Rocks answered on December 17, 2011

A
votes
i also I got the same reponse you did which was one of "surprise"
when I mentioned the numerous complaints here on Amazon.

If they were instructed not to mention or acknowledge doesn't bother me but what does is that they (Hamilton) might be/are totally oblivious
to a problem that could be dangerous.

All these shutdowns can't be all related to "Power-interrupt protection"

Electronic equipment sometimes shuts down to over heating issues not just from "Power-interrupt protection" . They are required to have this protection (overheating override shutdown) by law. The amount of posts regarding it shutting down tells me there is an overheating issue and all it takes is one time for it not to shut down and
causing greater damage while away leaving this thing on....and i'm not
talking about coming home to an uncooked meal or waking up to uncooked food.

I won't take these chances especially when Hamilton Beach customer service won't even acknowledge anything. If they said it was from "Power-interrupt protection" I might buy it but they aren't saying anything so I will not take the chance that these problems could be due to overheating issues.

At least throw a bone and say previous problems were addressed in the latest production run...but nooooooo they refused to say anything.
Rainer Rocks answered on January 15, 2012

A
votes
Interesting discussion! I own a 4 yr old model 33966 which appears to be the same as the 33967 (without the clamping lid.). Yesterday I came home to a stone cold crockpot which puzzled me. Today I called Hamilton Beach who told me there we "no known issues with this problem". THEN I researched the net and found many complaints of this problem that Hamilton Beach surely knows about. Very disappointed.
I will check out Theresa's crockpot suggestion (above). Also, if others have good experience with different programmable 6 qts, please post. Paying twice as much for a cooker is nothing compared to multiple intermittent instances of ruined $25.00 meat!
S. Endorf answered on February 27, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›