Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Poppin Pink|Change

on February 23, 2013
I like the way this works,,,, but it seems to have a slow down when I start to use it and turn it on...sometimes I have to hit the start button several times to get it to turn on...like there is a short in the product. I feel like I am waiting for it to break entirely. But then it turns on and works..just not immediately. At other times it work immediately. A little disappointed..and it is a hassle to return it or have it repaired...
on October 21, 2013
This scale was great to start but gradually became useless. We weigh coffee and various kitchen items on our scales all day and when this one screwed up a cake recipe royally, we knew it was done. Side by side with our ADE scale we realized that the escali had gone a full ounce up on its weight reading. That is enough to throw off any good recipe and it did. Wouldn't buy one again, lesson learned.
on March 12, 2013
It did not work correctly right out of the box. Sometimes it would turn on and at other times it would not, very frustrating. I loved the look/size and was really looking forward to using the scale. I am dissapointed in the product, however, returning it and amazon customer service was excellent! If anyone has had experience with a great scale for weighing food please share that information. Thanks!
on July 31, 2014
I should have listened to the other reviews -- this scale does not give a reliable read. From the minute I took it out of the package, I watched the numbers fluctuate even when simply taring a container. I couldn't even get anything to tare to zero, the numbers would just fluctuate from -1, 1, 2, 3, -1.... The instructions say to keep it in a place free of "vibrations", but even with all of the stillness in the world, this scale doesn't accurately weigh items. The same exact amount of coffee beans gave me five different measurements in a row. I'm really disappointed that I now have to send this back.
on October 10, 2014
I have gone through a few scales already since I started weighing my foods and counting macros for 3 years now. This scale is constantly inaccurate even when using grams for all foods and after only 4 months has stopped functioning properly. It will not reset or turn on/ off without me pressing the buttons extremely hard multiple times. It is extremely frustrating. If you are someone who weighs your food on the regular basis, I wouldn't recommend this product to you.
on February 20, 2013
Purchased this beautiful scale because of the stellar reviews. However, within a week of using it, it would not turn on. So I replaced the batteries. It worked again for another few days and then would not turn on. So I would open the back remove and re-insert the batteries and then it worked again. Now, this is the ONLY WAY it will work and even then inconsistently. I use this scale on a flat and dry surface. I have emailed their customer service and received cricket silence... It has become a fancy glass spoon-rest (similar to a door-stop). What a joke of a scale.
on February 17, 2012
Bought this to use for scaling out ingredients in culinary school. It looks great, is easy to clean, and fits nicely into my knife kit. I also bought an ipad sleeve to protect it and it fits perfectly. I also like the Hold feature which you won't find on most other scales. However, it seems to need calibration. Every time I tare it goes back to .05 oz. instead of 0. I tried to find some info on calibrating it myself but was unsuccessful. In addition, it is extremely slow. I have to stand there waiting for the screen to clear itself when I turn it on and then again for it to change whenever I press a button. I just bought a different scale and plan to return this one, if my return window has not expired.
88 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2013
When I first received the scale, about every other time using, it would not turn on using the power button (I should have returned it immediately). I've had it two months, and now it rarely responds to the power button...it's almost like it's in a sleep mode. Since it's past the Amazon warranty/return period, I've contacted the company and am returning for Escali to review and determine whether to send me a replacement. It does have a limited lifetime warranty, so I'm hoping for better luck next time around. I've had better luck with less expensive digital scales and have actually gone back to using my old one in the meantime. I do like the larger platform, but you can't count on it to work consistently!!
on August 26, 2011
I like these slim glass scales a lot, and prior to buying this one I used a very similar looking Salter scale.

Salter Gripe Session #1

I used the Salter initially as a postal scale... somewhat unsuccessfully, because the small scale and its display would sometimes be completely obscured by the package.

When I became a coffee enthusiast, grinding and manually brewing my coffee, I used the Salter to weigh the grounds in grams. But the button to switch from ounces to grams was underneath the scale, and it would always default to ounces when you turned it on. The scale had a relatively short shutoff time, so it would often turn off before I had finished grinding and pouring in all the grounds. Each time I would have to empty the grounds into another container, turn on the scale, pick it up to reset it to grams, put the empty container back on and reset it to zero, then pour the grounds back in. I didn't even try using it to measure the water for pour-over coffee brewing, as it would not stay on long enough to give me the final weight.

Skip forward a few years, and I was ready for a replacement that actually functioned correctly both as a postal scale and for making coffee. Not to mention other cooking needs.

Salter Gripe Session #2

I started by visiting one of my favorite brick and mortar stores (not too surly a table) to check-out their assortment of scales--some Salter, some other brands. I tested each scale by repeatedly weighing the same object on different surfaces. The Salter scales fared poorly, with very inconsistent weights depending on the surface and how long they had been on. My kitchen's tile counter top can be fairly uneven, and I realized that this was an important factor in evaluating scales. The Salters also drifted up in weight very rapidly over time. In general, I noticed that the more expensive scales did perform better. At that particular store, an OXO Good Grips scale performed the most consistently, but it wasn't particularly sexy.

Other Scales

Then I looked on coffee sites and even visited my local coffee house, which was setting up shop with their own brand new flotilla of very slim glass scales. They also bemoaned the lack of a good scale, although their American Weigh scales seemed quite nice. If you look on American Weigh's site, you'll see a huge variety of scales in practically every form factor. They have the thin glass-top scale that I crave. Just as an aside, there are so many other brands that look similar, that you have to conclude these are all manufactured at the same factory in China. They all have two buttons: On/Off/Tare (zero reset) and Units. At least the buttons are all on top. All these scales seem to handle the same weight limit, too: approx. 11 lbs. And they pretty much all have a 1-2 minute shutoff time, which isn't really adequate for my needs.

I kept looking... :(

Still More Scales

After getting a bit frustrated about the lack of a glass scale with a 5 minute auto shutoff, I started finding home baristas on the net sharing the same concern. One manufacturer of coffee accessories, Prima Coffee, even managed to talk a scale manufacturer into modifying the cut-off time of their scales. They mentioned one of their preferred scales, made by Escali. First I heard of that name. So I looked them up.

Escali Makes--er... Imports Scales

Visiting their website, at first I thought Escali was a major scale manufacturer. I saw a lot of scales. From fluffy consumer models to what appeared to be very heavy duty professional models. They seemed to be seriously into scales. What I'm saying is Salter they're not. So why hadn't I heard of them? Turns out they, and American Weigh, and who knows how many other companies are indeed just importers of Chinese products--you'll even see Escali on American Weigh's site. And in Escali's case (according to one consumer watchdog), they seem to have been in the business for only a few years, and whatever that implies concerning customer support.

But then there's the actual product. On the surface, Escali's thin glass kitchen scale, the Arti, looks pretty much like all the other thin glass scales.

* Except it handles 15 lbs.

* And its auto shut-off is a full 5 minutes.

* And its display is larger and brighter than the others.

* And it has a hold feature which allows you to just hit the hold button and then put a big package on it and when it stabilizes it beeps once, nice and loud and you remove the package and look at the weight that it HOLDS on the display for 5 seconds after you lift the package. The hold button does one other thing: it disables the touch-sensitive buttons so they don't get tripped accidentally.

And it costs a bit more than the other scales, which I don't mind one bit.

I've been using the scale now for over a month, and it works well in all the uses I originally intended for the Salter. I really like how it remembers the last units you set it to. And the touch sensitivity of the buttons is excellent (way better than the Salter). It's also a bit more stable than the Salter was, but I have to rely on my memory for that part.

You see, when the package from Amazon had arrived at my door, I eagerly unboxed the Escali and placed it next to my Salter for a trial comparison. The Salter chose that moment to die.

Maybe it was just the batteries.

Or maybe, looking sideways at its shiny red replacement from some monster manufacturer in China who is clearly paying attention, it knew it was time to make the big exit.

*** Addendum ***

I have since revisited my favorite coffee house. To my surprise, they swapped all their scales for the Escali Arti scale. I asked them how well it has held up, and they responded it works well, is accurate, and they like the 5 minute shutoff. I never mentioned this scale to them before.
44 comments|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2011
This scale was a great buy. It looks great with its flat surface and minimalist style. It's also dead-on accurate I placed lab weights on it from 0 to 200 grams and it read out the exact weight to the gram! I'm quite pleased.