5.0 out of 5 stars Escape To Chimp Eden: A Great Series
Animal Planet's new series, Escape To Chimp Eden, is a fantastic show about a team that rescues abused and neglected chimpanzees. Then the chimps are taken to a better enviroment to live.

Published on December 3, 2008 by Aaron F.

3.0 out of 5 stars Escape from season one
Hard to watch at times. Some of the chimps appear as if they should be put down as a kindness to them. they seem to be too much of a danger to others if they had been mistreated. Sad show!
Published 22 months ago by L. Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape To Chimp Eden: A Great Series, December 3, 2008
Aaron F. "aaronfissel" (South Mountain, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)

Escape To Chimp Eden is just as good as Orangutan Island and it allows us to become closer to our closest living relatives. This two-disc set includes tweleve episodes of the first season. Below is the episodes of season one.

Episode One- Josephine: Race for Life

Episode Nine- Mission Chimpossible: Eugene's Choice
Episode Ten- The Rise of Cozi
Episode Eleven- Baby Booming at Chimp Eden
Episode Twelve- The New Order

M addvice, buy this set. It is a great series that is both educational and entertaining. Pre-Order it now and enjoy a great show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific and involving..., June 9, 2009
S. C. (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
Better than the Animal Planet series as broadcast; without all the teasers and commercials that slow the narrative, this surprisingly moving series will make you cry and make you laugh. The human hero inspires, and the chimps touch your heart; you'll never see a chimpanzee in captivity the same way again. What more can you ask from any experience than that? Eye-opening, life-affirming, uplifting stuff. You'll watch it more than once and you'll want everyone in your family to watch it with you. Well worth the purchase price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chimp Eden, December 20, 2009
Sweeney (Keokuk, IA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
I hardly ever watch TV but got hooked on this series from the get-go. The Chimp Eden sanctuary, located in South Africa and associated with the Jane Goodall Institute, is a refuge for chimpanzees, many of whom were orphaned by the bush-meat trade or abused in captivity. The Animal Planet series, which ran for two seasons, shows rescue missions and the rehabilitation that goes on at the sanctuary. Viewers see the progress of the individual chimps and their integration into chimp society. If you are interested in the great apes and their plight, you will love Escape to Chimp Eden. Presently, only Season One is available on DVD, although the episodes of Season Two can be downloaded through Amazon Video on Demand or iTunes. The important work of the sanctuary continues and can be monitored at the Chimp Eden website at [...].

5.0 out of 5 stars A weekly "must see" for animal lovers, June 13, 2009
Marilyn Pancake (Van Wert, Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
We love Eugene, his staff and the chimps. The programs are educational, humorous and yes, sad on occasion. The rescue trips offer us insight into other areas of the world. We tape the programs and rewatch with our grandchildren over and over. Keep them coming, Animal Planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Story that Goes Beyond Sheltering Animals!, February 27, 2009
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
Let me begin by saying I am not your usual Animal Plant viewer but after seeing a preview at the cinema of how chimps are treated and the shelter in which Eugene provides to these animals, I made a point of watching the first season and immediately purchased the DVD the moment I found out it was available.

Should you watch the show, you will not only be a witness to the barbaric ways in which animals are treated, but you will also see that it takes a whole family to nourish and love one in distress (i.e., the chimps). This season also showed the dynamic relationships the trainers shared with the chimps, the obstacles of reintroducing the animals to their own environment and learning how to let go.

Again, I'm not one to watch shows about animals often, but I encourage any and all to grab this DVD and see how magnificent human beings are as far as caring goes. I was not disappointed with this item and cannot wait for the new season to start again in April.

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape from chimp eden, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
I TOTALLY LOVE THIS PROGRAM. I watch the the shows EVERY DAY !!! I drive my family crazy, because they don't understand why I watch the shows over and over. When I want to get rid of my family; all I need to do is turn on one of my recorded shows,and I clear the room in seconds. I record the programs every morning, and I do not erase them from my DVR. There were only two seasons recorded, I record and watch them as if there were 100 seasons. The other love of my life besides my husband, is COZI!!!I love everything about him; he is so mischievous, then he acts as if he has not done anything wrong. When I am exhausted, upset,or sad; all I need to do is watch him over and over. I am looking to purchase the second season if it becomes available.I really hate that the program no longer records.I really feel cheated that I don't get to see Cozi and the gang in their everyday life now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly entertaining look into the lives of chimpanzees..., July 15, 2010
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
I followed this show on Animal Planet and was excited upon it's release of Season 1 on DVD. It follows the lives of orphaned chimps that are rescued and rehabilitated in a center in South Africa. Every chimp has it's distinct personality, making this an extremely entertaining watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Series. Incredibly educational. a must watch, February 7, 2013
This series has captivated me. I've always been a huge fan of the great apes, but I didn't know this series existed.

Since learning of it I purchased both seasons on Amazon instant video, as well as the DVD media.

Its awe inspiring to watch Eugene work. His passion is so visible, and what he does is so selfless. You can tell when he gets butterflies in his stomach from excitement, and you can tell when he's visibly shaken from fear. Both seasons cover the full gamut of emotions and the way its produced is superb. You don't feel like you're watching a documentary series, you feel like you're actually there, experiencing things just as they do in the show.

The other thing I really like is you learn the chimp's names, their history, how they arrived at the sanctuary etc. During the season they take you back to the rescues they filmed as a way to introduce you to each chimp. It's very engaging, and by half way through the first season you know all the chimp's names, how and when they were rescued, their personalities, and how they all get along. I felt very vested in the community.

I can't give this series any higher recommendation, all I can say is, if you're a fan of the great apes, and you enjoy learning about the rehabilitation efforts of Eugene Cussons and the Jane Goodall Institute this series is a must watch.

I am saddened the series ended in 2008 and frankly surprised that something so interesting didn't hold enough viewership to warrant more seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring effort to save humanity's closets living relatives in the animal world. Will habitat protection follow rehab zoos?, May 21, 2014
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
These videos are simply incredible survival stories. What's at stake is the very existence of wild chimpanzees and the tropical rainforest that they depend upon. The rescue worker Mr. Cussons provides relief for the chimps, who often bounce back when in an open air and spacious zoo. Of course, they are still wild animals and people can't get close to them, which is one reason why a documentary is so good for experiencing chimp life. They are incredibly human-like and it's touching to see the similarities. If humanity can't leave the approximate last third of tropical rainforests intact, we'll lose both natural resources and our closest connection with the animal world. It makes one wonder about a world population heading towards 9 billion and chimps numbering only in the tens of thousands. The overpopulated countries are not actually making individual quality of life better by going up ten times in population over the last hundred years. Their food and freshwater resources are cratering. Family planning, mainly through government distribution of prophylactics, will help stabilize both the human population and save the last chimp habitats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chimp Eden, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 (DVD)
I very much enjoyed viewing this video. The pictures were very clear. The sound was also crisp and clear. Yeah!

Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1
Escape to Chimp Eden: Season 1 by Jason Carey (DVD - 2009)
$14.95 $12.81