5.0 out of 5 stars A great book about a little-known subject
[i]Escape From Davao[/i] by John D. Lukacs. Simon & Schuster, 2010. 429 pp.

I heard about this book only about a week or 10 days ago. Although I meant to wait a bit, I just couldn't (My mother always said I lacked patience!) and an order through Amazon followed. I received the book late last week.

I had read William Dyess' book [i]The Dyess...
Published on June 13, 2010 by R. Slater

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 parts to this book
Lukacs has four big things going on in this book:
1) introducing the personalities of the key players, including Macarthur
2) The experience of surrendering the Philippines to the Japanese, the Bataan Death March, the downfall of Corregidor, the POW camps and hell ship transports.
3) The escape and the guerilla fighters
4) The censorship and propaganda...
Published 24 months ago by M. Heiss

‹ Previous | 17 8 923 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars well written account of brave men doing extraordinary things!, March 29, 2013
Loved this book! These men survived the fall of the Philippines, the death march, and prison camp life to escape from the one camp thought to be impossible to escape from. What they endured, what they braved, and the war that they fought was truly unimaginable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape From Davao, March 24, 2013
Very well written and hard to put down. Very factual with excellent descriptions. You actually suffer with the prisoners. Does not endear me to the Japanese to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review of Escape from Davao, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Escape From Davao: The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War (Paperback)
I was in the 13Th Air Force as a B-24 Nosegunner and very interested in anything about World War II.
It is avery well wrtten book and I enjoyed it very much

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in history, March 18, 2013
I had read other books re the Baatan death march, but never before re the escape from the horrible POW death camp. An unbelievable horror story. This is well documented and so very true. I could hardly believe how FDR would not release this story. It sure changed my thoughts regarding our government during WW2. I had blamed McArthur for running away, but now this expose changed my mind. I was a history major at college, but this truth was never discussed. I'm sure th professors never knew. I'm a bit long at the tooth, entered college in 1948. This book is an eyeopener, not to be missed!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 3, 2013
Really a testament to the unbreakable spirit of the human race. Also a testament to the savagery that can be a part of the same race!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book of an awesome WWII escape!, January 30, 2013
John Lucacks does a great job writing the book "Escape From Davao". The incredible true story has been hidden from the general public for more than 50 years and is only known to a select few today! This is the only successful break from a Japanese POW camp and should have been made into a movie a long time ago. The Japanese were the most ruthless, barbaric and inhumane opponents of WWII, (as can attest the infamous Bataan death march and life in Japanese camps where 34% of American POW's died versus 1% in German hands) and so their survival is even more incredible!! I absolutely recommend this book and would add that if everyone in America read or knew of the sacrifices and horrors that our WWII veterans went through to preserve our liberties; patriotism would flourish in many who see us as a 'bully' in the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, January 25, 2013
newobdl (Louisville area, KY) - See all my reviews
This is a very enlightening book, which describes so mujch of the war in the Phillipines. It was made more interesting to me since I had been in Davao, the city, on a missionary trip in 1991

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, January 17, 2013
A great book. A good history lesson for anyone younger than 70 years of age. I have recommended it to all of my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PAINFUL, BUT ENLIGHTENING PORTRAYAL OF MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN!, January 8, 2013
From his first written word, this author takes the reader into an excruciating experience, the likes of which most human beings would not believe it possible to endure, let alone survive! A MUST read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pacific War in WWII, December 27, 2012
Great book if you are interested in the Pacific theater of WWII. It talked about American POWs in a Japanese camp in the jungle. Some of the Americans decided to escape and tried to find their way to freedom on the Philippines. I did enjoy reading this book and I liked that less is known about being a POW to the Japanese than other POWs in Europe.

‹ Previous | 17 8 923 | Next ›