Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Escape (The Prisoner and the Sun #1)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on January 18, 2013
Reading this gave me the same feeling I get from reading H.P. Lovecraft. It's not frightening, but it is intense at times. It's the anticipation that something is lurking... just another page and it will show itself, but do I really want to see it? It's difficult to explain but there's just something about this that draws you in, even as you move closer to the edge of your seat.

It is masterfully written, just skirting the periphery of this fictional reality. Who hasn't, at some point, wondered what life really is? Who hasn't questioned existence or wanted to peek behind the curtain to find the truth? This story invokes that sense better than any I've read in ages. That is the thing I most enjoy in any telling.

The premise is really rather simple - a man hears a story and it awakens his innate curiosity. He is irrevocably changed and can never again be content with his current situation. Bravely, he sets out to change his life, to seek the thing that compels him. He faces trials that mirror certain fables, but in interesting ways.

All said, an intriguing, worthy read.
on January 27, 2013
I downloaded this book when it was offered for free. I had thought it was a fantasy book (as that was the category it was in on Amazon). The beginning of the book, where Iliff was in prison, was interesting as was his interaction with the lady who helped him once he got out of the prison. This really held my interest. However, as it progressed, the book isn't so much a fantasy book as a story about Iliff trying to stay on the right path to see "the sun". I gave up about 50% into the book. The story gets more and more heavy-handed with religious symbolism (the Sun is meant to be God, you must stay on the path to find God, Greed distracts you from trying to find God, etc.). I'm not an overly religious person and it started to grate on my nerves. So, if you are looking for a fantasy book, it is unlikely that you will like this book. If you want a book about people making choices to stay on a rightous path, then you may like this book. Note that I did skip to the end to see if there was anything about Iliff finding the sun, but this book ends on a cliffhanger. So, if you do start the book, you'll likely have to buy sequels to see if Iliff "reaches the sun".
on January 16, 2016
I chose this because it was a fantasy read, but soon realised there was more to the tale. This is about life's path, mine, yours, and how we deal with it. How do we escape the traps in our minds? Intrigued, I read on and I wasn't disappointed.

Definitely a worthy read, well written and constructed, although i was sorely let down when it ended, for i hoped for some sort of resolution. Guess I will be reading book 2 to find out what comes next!
on February 28, 2014
Escape (The Prisoner and the Sun #1) by Brad Magnarella is one fantastic "Fantasy", and believe me, you do not want to miss this first book in the trilogy. I have been on a reading kick for the past few weeks and have read 6 books, blame it on the cold weather that is keeping me inside, but I just have to say, I have enjoyed the time it allows me to spend reading. I am thankful for the great books I have read, and I just want you to know that this book initially seemed to me as if it was written for young children, and I almost put it down, but it quickly changed to a gripping story with fabulous characters who are well defined, and one escapade quickly turned into another and then many many more. This book is one you do not want to put down and will hold you captive for hours on end. I read this one very quickly, and did not want it to end; then luckily I had book 2 on my Kindle and was able to move right on into it. All I can say, is get this book, read it, and enjoy it. I highly encourage you to read this book, I don't think you will be disappointed.
on January 24, 2013
This was a well written and well edited book. It is not just fantasy, it is also a story of choices and consequences. The main character makes many mistakes, and is not always someone that you like. But then again, who is perfect? He has to face situations and relationships that are beyond his experience, and yet he perseveres. What more can anyone do?

I give it just under 3-1/2 stars, it might not be for everyone, but I enjoyed it. It is the first book of a trilogy, so the hero has a long way to travel yet in his adventure. So far it would seem suitable for almost any age group.
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2011
Escape (The Prisoner and the Sun Book #1) - Could Not Put It Down!!

Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars (for now! could be 5 stars after finishing the series...)

Author: Brad Magnarella
Format: Kindle

With trowel in hand, Iliff labored daily in his underground prison to repair the ever increasing fissures forming on the prison walls Not knowing any other existence than the confines he lived within, a strange old man approaches him and tells him the unbelievable - that there is life beyond the walls. Not only that, there is something called a sun. Journey to the sun - the old man tells him. It is life's true quest. At first, Iliff thinks the old man is crazy, but the truth of the man's words slowly seep into Iliff's brain. If there are walls, there must be something beyond the walls - it only makes sense. But is it worth risking everything and all you know to leave especially if there is no way to come back?

"Escape - The Prisoner and the Sun Book #1", by Brad Magnarella, is a one of the best books I've read this year. I really enjoyed this book and honestly could not put it down. I suppose if falls in the fantasy genre with some magic, trolls, and talking stags. But these are not what anchor the story. It is Iliff and his journey to find what life really is - not the prison he was confined to. Is Iliffs journey an allegory for life? What of his relationship with Troll - what does it represent? Will he reach the sun and what significance is it? If he returns to his prison and tries to convince others of the outside world, will they look upon him as they did with the old man? All these questions and more were eating at me as I devoured the pages wanting to know the answers. As I read Escape, I was reminded of "The Allegory of the Cave" in Plato's classic - The Republic. Would Iliff suffer a similar fate? As I neared the end of the book, my excitement built but so did my dismay as it would soon be over.

So why only 4.5 stars and not 5? Because this is only book one in a trilogy. I never did get my answers from the end of book one so hooray, more for me to enjoy! But would it meet my expectations and resolve all these questions satisfactorily? If yes, this is easily 5 stars, if not still a good solid 4 stars. Given the strength of book one, I'm optimistic. At $0.99 on Kindle this is one heck of a deal. Definitely one of my favorites this year.
on January 27, 2013
It appears at first as a fantasy but quickly evolves as an allegorical tale. Much like the Wizard of Oz or Gulliver it draws its origins from the folly of human hopes and ambitions . At times you feel pity or sympathy with our hero and others annoyance and disdain for his short sightedness and self-righteousness. Original and fresh on its take on the human condition.
on October 30, 2012
I first read prisoner and the sun on my nook color then I downloaded it to my kindle fire to reread it (kept the copy on my nook) it is a real good book can not wait to get the other two books on both devices (hubby is reading it also) would recommend this author to everyone
on December 31, 2011
I liked this book and was sad to reach then because it left everything hanging. Book two is available but I'm torn whether to purchase it now or wait until book three is available. I just hope that Brad Magnarella knows where his story is headed.
on December 28, 2012
Great entertainment and new concepts. Would recommend for anyone. I can not wait to read the rest of the series.