“A pragmatic framework to help mature enterprises escape the pull of their pasts and embrace the new reality of work.” (John Chen, CEO, Sybase)
From the Inside Flap
Geoffrey Moore's now classic Crossing the Chasm became a must-read book by presenting an innovative frame work to address the make or break obstacle facing all high tech companies: how to gain market share from early adopters and from mainstream consumers.
Based on twenty years' experience advising the top leaders of many of the world's most successful entereprises. Moore's Escape Velocity offers a pragmatic plan to engage the most critical challenge that established enterprises face in the twenty-first-century economy: how to move beyond past success and drive next-generation growth from new lines of business.
As he worked with senior management teams, Moore repeatedly found that executives were trapped by short-term performance-based compensation schemes. The result was critical decision-makers overweighting their legacy commitments, an embarassingly low success rate in new-product launches, and widespread failure to sustain any kind of next-generation business at scale.
In Escape Velocity, Moore presents a cogent strategy for generating future growth within an established enterprise. Organized a hierarchy of powers--category power, company power, market power, offer power and execution power--this insightful work shows how each level of power can be orchestrated to achieve overall success. Moore explains
- how to use mergers and acquisitionsas well as organic innovation to systematically migrate an enterprise's portfolio out of lower-growth and into higher-growth categories;
- how to reallocate resources across an enterprise in deliberately asymmetrical ways to create a powerful and sustainable foundation for long-term competitive advantage;
- how to leverage target-market initiatives as accelerants to growth and as stepping-stones to broad overall category success;
- how to create unmatchable offerings by being swift to neutralize competitors' innovations and laser-focused on driving in-house innovations to make a business imperious to competitors;
- how to fundamentally change the execution cadence of an organizations, pushing change from innovation to broad deployment, creating an irreversible tipping point along the way.
Escape Velocity Copyright 2011 by Geoffrey A. Moore. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information, address HarperCollins Publishers 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022
HarperCollins books may be purchased for educational business, or sales promotional use. For information, please write: Special Markets Department, HarperCollins Publishers, 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data has been applied for.