4.0 out of 5 stars a tale of two witches
Published on May 9, 2005 by Linda Pagliuco

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
To my knowledge, this is the only book dedicated exclusively to the Connecticut witch trials of 1692. I was unaware of these events - as opposed to the more famous events in Salem - until recently when I discovered that Elizabeth Clawson (Clayson) was an ancestor, which then sparked my interest.

This book was written for a popular audience and my major quibble...
Published on March 26, 2012 by Catechumen

4.0 out of 5 stars a tale of two witches, May 9, 2005
Few people know that while the infamous Salem witch hunt was taking place in 1692, southwestern Connecticut was undergoing a scare of its own. Godbeer has meticulously researched this event and presents a remarkably detailed story based upon the participants own words. He follows the accusers, the victims, the "witches", the ministers, and the magistrates, from the beginning of the outbreak to its much-more-sensible-than Salem conclusion. Seems one could be a witch and avoid execution in Olde New England. Puritans all - how did Connecticut avoid hysteria and wanton killing? This brief book tells the tale in an interesting, historically accurate fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good writing, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Escaping Salem: The Other Witch Hunt of 1692 (New Narratives in American History) (Paperback)
This is an interesting book showing the mentality of the early pilgrims. As I read I was amazed that "Kate" was believed and could see it as though I were there in that time period. I have realized through working with genealogy that many of those who lived in those times were quite illiterate, however perhaps due to the witch hunts in Salem these people did not appear to use common sense. Good book and very informative. Norma

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 23, 2013
A great look into the curiosity of witchcraft in 1692. Everyone is familiar with the Salem witch hunt of 1692, but the witch hunt that took place in Stamford, Connecticut is little known. Excellent read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Witches Unite!, December 31, 2012
Christopher Westcott (Spotsylvania, Virginia) - See all my reviews
I came across this little book while doing research on my ancestors. After learning I was a direct descendant of Daniel Westcott, I found his connection to late 17th century witchcraft in the colonies. The book is a little dry, but the facts and bits of colonial wisdom were interesting....not to mention Daniel and wife Abigail's approach to dealing with a house servant who in today';s world would be a resident of the top-floor, inpatient, psych ward.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid with some holes..., May 21, 2007
I would probably rate this in at 3.5 stars...but I rounded up to 4 stars.

'Escaping Salem' tells the story of the 'witch hunt' in Stamford, CT. We have all grown up hearing about the witch hunts in Salem. There have been movies and there have been discussions of the blood thirsty people in that community going after the witches to rid their villages of their evil practices.

This book begins to examine the people behind some of the stories in the relatively quiet community of Stamford. The book looks at one particular case of a girl named Kate Branch of her fits or rage, her delusions and her overall strange behavior. It discusses the people that many believed were witches and why they considered them witches. Though the arguments were often weak, the arguments gained traction and led to the trials of a couple of women accused of being witches.

The book takes you in to the courtroom as you see some of the problems of the prosecution and the difficulty of 'proving' witchcraft. I had always believed that trials were thrown together to just convict but you can see that there was definitely more effort needed to convict someone.

The biggest problem with the book is that it often reads like a textbook until the last chapter when the author interjects more of his thoughts and conclusions. The book is using public documents so there are some holes in the story which Godbeer tries to fill. Overall, an interesting peak into the late 1600s court system and witches problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, October 11, 2013
I had to read this book for my History class. It was really a great book. I may have to go and read his book on the Salem Witch Trials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book is brand new, January 4, 2013
I bought this book for the spring semester. It arrived VERY fast, and is in perfect condition. Use amazon to find your textbooks, I paid about 40-50% less for new books on amazon than I would have paid for used books at my college bookstore. Plus I assume, I'll be able to sell these books to the bookstore and knock even ore off the total price of "renting".

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, March 26, 2012

This book was written for a popular audience and my major quibble with it is that, given the lack of footnotes, it became difficult to discern what statements/thoughts were based on actual documentary evidence and which ones were interpolations made by the author. This is physically small and textually relatively brief book - no doubt related to the relative scarcity of first hand accounts and documentation, but it does give a serviceable account of the accusations, events, and indictments/trials. However, there is not much depth here or insight - it's a narrative of events - not an analysis of motivations or greater social/historic events.

The last chapter contains the requisite (in academia) and tiresome analogy between the events in Connecticut and Joseph McCarthy and HUAC. Let me help with this: there were no witches (as popularly understood) in New England in the late seventeenth century, but there were communists and, more pertinent, communist spies and paid informants (as confirmed by Venona) in the U.S. State Department, U.S. Military, Hollywood, etc. in America during the 1950s. Why PhDs cannot make this distinction is really beyond me; one might almost suspect that it is ideological......

5.0 out of 5 stars Scaping salem book, November 12, 2012
I recieved the product in a great time, the envelop was very protective! I will recomend this store and product to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Burn the Witch, November 20, 2012
So I was feeling bad for these women as you know, they were persecuted and imprisoned, then I learned the truth and it changed my feelings. THE WITCHES MESSED WITH THE BEER!!! How dare they! At that point I threw all human decency out the window and hoped for death by fire (or hanging as was the way they dealt with these things). Lucky for them they got off.

All I want you to get away from this book is DO NOT MESS WITH BEER. People will come after you.

$19.95 $12.87